Home PEx Campus De La Salle University

mba - useful or not??

taking up mba is not cheap. so i want to know if pursuing this higher education is useful or not. sayang naman if not. i've taken up some premba courses at la salle but decided to stop for awhile. now, i'm thinking of going back again because it had been fun.

Comments

• Hi there! well, I think it is useful to pursue higher education such as an MBA. It could give you an edge in your career. It equips you with additional technical and soft skills needed to take on bigger roles more effectively (e.g. manager, administrator, entrepreneur/proprietor).
  • i forgot to mention that i am not into looking for a job or a higher position in a company. i have a small business and i'm no longer in my 20's. sscuderia, are you in dlsu mba?
  • LabuyoXVIIILabuyoXVIII PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    i_am_i, only you can answer whether or not an MBA degree would be useful for you or not. I am in my first term as a MBA student and since pre-MBA pa lang, minsan ang feeling ko parang undergrad ulit ako. Since hindi ako Management major back in college, I have some catching up to do (especially with FINACC).

Most of the time, people who want to be MBA's are there for the connections and the learning from your classmates' experiences. If you have a small business, hindi ba mas okay to take up Entrepreneurship?
  • labuyo, i've been to thinking kasi. the few subjects that i've had with mba didn't do me any good (or so i think). ya, as you have said nga they're like sa undergrad lang.

with regards to entrepreneurship naman, ayaw ko sa la salle mag masters nun. the profs kasi daw sa la salle ng entrepreneurship aren't entrepreneurs themselves. maybe it would do me good if i took up entrepreneurship at aim. but then it would require me to pay a great amount of money.

and then again, i've had fun with mba naman.
  • amiloproamilopro PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Mas maganda ata pag kumuha ka sa AIM
    i am i wrote: »
    labuyo, i've been to thinking kasi. the few subjects that i've had with mba didn't do me any good (or so i think). ya, as you have said nga they're like sa undergrad lang.

with regards to entrepreneurship naman, ayaw ko sa la salle mag masters nun. the profs kasi daw sa la salle ng entrepreneurship aren't entrepreneurs themselves. maybe it would do me good if i took up entrepreneurship at aim. but then it would require me to pay a great amount of money.

and then again, i've had fun with mba naman.

Well, since pre-MBA nga siya, baka there are some courses that you've already taken up. Give it a chance, when you get to the Core courses, mas magiging industry-intensive na ang mga courses.
  • I think an MBA becomes really useful if the college degree that you completed has very very little or no business management subjects at all and the jobs you are targeting require certain capabilities in understanding financial statements, use of management science tools, some awareness in financial management and a perspective on how a corporate business is to be run from certain points of view – not necessarily the correct ones.

I don’t think an MBA is an absolute necessity for those who want to climb the corporate ladder, unless the company management prefers that certain senior executive positions require such education. There are numerous executives who became CEOs without an MBA simply because they had the sincerity, excellent management and leadership skills (which they’ve learned/acquired along the way) and the passion and vision for the company and its people that he has embraced to serve with courage and integrity. Incidentally, these are the most important qualities too for an entrepreneur aside from knowing the nuts and bolts of the business that one naturally acquires precisely because of his passion and vision for the business and its employees.

I know some CEOs who have remarked that an MBA degree is not an absolute necessity; other executives even thought that they did not find it very useful after all. Some MBA schools may have unwittingly taught its students to think – or the students themselves may think -- that a business could be a deterministic model thereby limiting its students’ capability to think outside of the box. I remember Tom Peters and Bob Waterman, Jr., from the book In Search for Excellence, who criticized business schools for its emphasis on quantitative methods and systematized philosophies and practices as opposed to valuing people as the real assets and common values which are one of the most important primary drivers of a successful business.
  • to those who are or who have been through the core courses, please comment naman on dlsu mba's usefulness or uselessness. thanks
  • and to anyone who has a copy of the course skeds for next term please send me naman a copy. i might take an elective na lang
    Wala pang course skeds for 3rd term, eh. If everything is according to the last schedule they posted, they should be sending the course schedules for all campuses this week.
  • i am i wrote: »
    i forgot to mention that i am not into looking for a job or a higher position in a company. i have a small business and i'm no longer in my 20's. sscuderia, are you in dlsu mba?

actually i'm still a fresh graduate looking forward (rather excited) to continuing studies in the near future. DLSU MBA is one of my options though, but i'm opening my doors to studying abroad for that. whatever i said of course is purely my opinion with what i have read and heard as basis. sorry i might not be a credible source regarding this matter.

anyways, i guess it'd be nice to pursue the program. from what a friend told me, the classes (the core subjects ata) are usually discussion-based. you might get some interesting insights from these discussions which might serve as valuable input for you and running your business.

good luck on that! :)