Home PEx Campus University of Santo Tomas

Hillary Clinton to visit UST (nov.13)

Hillary to visit UST Friday

Updated- 8:05 p.m., Nov. 11- UNITED States Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will visit UST on Friday, the UST security office has said.

GMA Network’s morning show, Unang Hirit, also reported Wednesday that Clinton would go to UST and Marikina City as part of her visit to the country on November 12.

Members of the Presidential Security Group arrived this afternoon in the University to conduct ocular inspection as part of security measures being undertaken for the historic visit.

It was first reported that Clinton would only be in the country for 24 hours before going to Singapore to attend the summit of the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation on November 19.

“First and foremost point in coming here is to show solidarity with the Filipino people in the wake of the devastation of the typhoons,” said US Ambassador to the Philippines Kristie Kenney on an interview by the Philippine Daily Inquirer.

Kenney also visited the University last September 25. Alexis Ailex C. Villamor, Jr.

http://www.varsitarian.net/breaking_news/20091111/hillary_to_visit_ust_friday

Comments

• I'm proud that she chose to visit our prestigious school =)
  • That's because Hillary's one smart lady.

Yet again, the name of another high-profile personality is included in UST's prestigious guest book. :)
  • lneliouchioralneliouchiora PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    May reply ba nito sa ANC? 'Di ko na-abutan. :(
  • I saw it on tv...
  • markfroilanmarkfroilan 🐯 Tiger Squad🥈
    I'm proud that she chose to visit our prestigious school =)

lets consider some factors why UST was chosen to host the forum

primarily due to
    1. Security - the fact that UST is in a perfectly fenced perimeter reinforces safety for the dignitary

and these are just supporting factors
    2. geography - it wouldnt sound manila-ish if it were held in a school outside manila city

3. history - the fact that UST was made an interment camp during WW2 provides avid culture for the distinguished event

4. the kristie kenny visit prior to hilllary's was actually an inspection if the campus was fit for the high profile secured visit.

nothing more than that, so lets not push it higher than what it simply was,,,a visit.why? there was no honoris causa bestowed,,,they only used our facilities.
  • lets consider some factors why UST was chosen to host the forum

primarily due to
    1. Security - the fact that UST is in a perfectly fenced perimeter reinforces safety for the dignitary

and these are just supporting factors
    2. geography - it wouldnt sound manila-ish if it were held in a school outside manila city

3. history - the fact that UST was made an interment camp during WW2 provides avid culture for the distinguished event

4. the kristie kenny visit prior to hilllary's was actually an inspection if the campus was fit for the high profile secured visit.

nothing more than that, so lets not push it higher than what it simply was,,,a visit.why? there was no honoris causa bestowed,,,they only used our facilities.

ikaw umiral na naman pagiging epal mo. saan naman nanggaling ang mga in-enumerate mo na factors? source mo ba eh us embassy? us state department?

ang ***** ***** mo, america's top diplomat ang bumisita sa ust tapos ang hirit mo eh, "THEY ONLY USED OUR FACILITIES?" nakakalowkah kha!

maaaring sa 'yo walang significance 'yung visit pero do not downplay the event. not every school gets to be visited by one of the world's most influential people.

kung 'di ka proud maging tomasino eh isoli mo ang diploma mo.

epal!

buhusan kaya kita ng magnulia melk?
  • hunter_alchemsthunter_alchemst PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Hindi ka ba marunong sa tamang paggamit ng comma at period?
  • lneliouchioralneliouchiora PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

So nung pumunta si Pope John Paul II sa UST nung 1995, He only used UST's facilities (Chair, Grandstand, Field, etc)? And it's nothing more than a visit? :confused:

Oww Okay. Nice info for a prospect Thomasian. :)

Katakot ka Mami Diony! :eek: :lol:

BTW, nakita ko na sa ANC kagabi. Buti may replay. :D
  • anima9anima9 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    http://www.state.gov/secretary/rm/2009a/11/131926.htm

dj mo's interview with madam hilton held inside a classroom.

@everyone: mark has a point. i mean, his facts are more likely credible. what was the purpose of madam clinton if not for a visit? they chose ust because it has good space and is pretty secured. I mean, i was also wondering "why not the other 3? DLSU's campus is much nearer than UST's to where she came from, ADMU's and UP's campuses are waaaaaay bigger. why us?" then i realized that DLSU's campus may be too small, UP's and ADMU's maybe too far or something. IDK.

let's just be happy the event was successful and even the weather cooperated. it would've been fun if an ondoy strikes, stranding madam clinton LOL

the pope used our facilities? nope. he HAD to be in UST because it is the catholic university of the country. The pope chose well to go to the school which represents catholic education in the philippines.
  • sa tingin mo ba mahihirapan si clinton pumunta ng katipunan or diliman kung sakaling sa ateneo or up ginawa yung forum? ano 'yun papa-apekto sa trapik? kung kailangan hawiin ang kalsada para 'di matrapik si hillary, hahawiin 'yun no!

at kung facilities, eh di naman papahuli ang ateneo noh, meron pa nga silang school of government. wag na banggitin ang facilities ng up no dahil wala sila nun at kung meron man eh pihadong panget.

naisip ko lang ha, kung naging editors pala kayo ni markfroilan, ang gagawin nyong story title eh ganito: "hillary bumisita ng ust para gamitin ang facilities!" :rotflmao:

magsama kayo ni markfroilan, TITIRISIN KO KAYO NA PARANG NAKAKAIRITANG CUTTO!
    Communication Problems

Getting it Wrong – the intended message is interpreted/understood differently by the receiver ergo different response and action/reaction.

Decoding and Meaning – When the receiver does not listen carefully, overlooked a word or idea. A different interpretation of meaning might arise from a wrong decoded message.

Noise and Feedback – the receiver has too much on his mind. People are talking in an out of control setting that a constructive is not heard. Feedback might be bland, ambiguous or insincere.

Mixed Signals and Misperception – peoples perceptions can undermine attempts to communicate
    - people do not pay attention to everything
    - they inadvertently send mixed signals that can undermine the intended messages
    - different people attend to different things
    - people interpret the same thing in different ways
  • anima9anima9 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    @dionesia: why so aggressive? i mean, i totally get your love for UST but just bashing non-degrading comments is just a tad too much.

when presidents and other representatives of certain countries visit a country for a "state visit" don't they visit? LOL not to mention the thread title :)

but seriously, they did have time constraints seeing that Clinton had more, rather, better things to do than travel for about 1 or 2 hours by road, forcing filipinos to pave the way for a foreigner, just to talk to people for 1 hour, with some topics really unnecessary (like Tiu's "Pacman or Cotto" question -_-)

i mean, have you even checked her recent activities in the past 2 weeks? she's been to 9 countries and 50 events before she came to us and possibly even more after. distance is distance, UP and ADMU were just too far to fit the itinerary.

i hope we're not getting into bad terms. i mean no harm to UST, but merely pointing out that we should not exaggerate or practically brag about something when it shouldn't be bragged like so in the first place.

when the pope visited UST, that was to be bragged about because he was the freaking leader of 1 billion catholics (but, like i said, he really had few schools to choose from and UST was the most favored upon at the time). Clinton's nothing compared to the pope back then, but we're still proud our school was chosen, but let's not get our heads all inflated because of that. are we so out of things to be proud of that we think of clinton as royalty? she's popular and all, and we're all thankful for her presence in our campus, but she ain't something to go "w00t!" about. If it was Obama, now THAT is "woot"able. if we had something to be proud about, it would be because the organizers chose UST as the venue.

EDIT: I can't believe we're fighting over this -_-

i don't know what mark meant when he stated that "it was only a visit, they just used our facilities" but it was what it was in the broadest and simplest sense. she did visit UST, she did use our facilities. actually, not she but the ones who organized the event which was ABS-CBN (ANC is ABS-CBN's channel). Quite frankly, she could care less where the event was held, it was ABS-CBN who decided UST to be the one to hold the forum.

So in the end, she really did just visit and use our facilities, it was ABS-CBN who chose us, not her.
  • I thought that this thread is about the forum, the things that she and the people there discussed.

Isn't that the Thomasians are known for their humility? And on the first place what's there to brag about? So it's the United States' Secretary of State on the Medicine Auditorium. Then what?

I believe that Mommy Dionesia is putting UST on top for no reason at all. Come on, it's a visit intended for the public, so this trip made our School the venue for such. Remember this is not only for our beloved University. Practically, YES, she used our facilities or maybe ANC contracted our University for it.

And please, please, please stop saying this "kung 'di ka proud maging tomasino eh isoli mo ang diploma mo."
    Does thinking logically makes you less of a Thomasian?
  • anima9 wrote: »
    @dionesia: why so aggressive? i mean, i totally get your love for UST but just bashing non-degrading comments is just a tad too much.

when presidents and other representatives of certain countries visit a country for a "state visit" don't they visit? LOL not to mention the thread title :)

but seriously, they did have time constraints seeing that Clinton had more, rather, better things to do than travel for about 1 or 2 hours by road, forcing filipinos to pave the way for a foreigner, just to talk to people for 1 hour, with some topics really unnecessary (like Tiu's "Pacman or Cotto" question -_-)

i mean, have you even checked her recent activities in the past 2 weeks? she's been to 9 countries and 50 events before she came to us and possibly even more after. distance is distance, UP and ADMU were just too far to fit the itinerary.

i hope we're not getting into bad terms. i mean no harm to UST, but merely pointing out that we should not exaggerate or practically brag about something when it shouldn't be bragged like so in the first place.

when the pope visited UST, that was to be bragged about because he was the freaking leader of 1 billion catholics (but, like i said, he really had few schools to choose from and UST was the most favored upon at the time). Clinton's nothing compared to the pope back then, but we're still proud our school was chosen, but let's not get our heads all inflated because of that. are we so out of things to be proud of that we think of clinton as royalty? she's popular and all, and we're all thankful for her presence in our campus, but she ain't something to go "w00t!" about. If it was Obama, now THAT is "woot"able. if we had something to be proud about, it would be because the organizers chose UST as the venue.

i don't know what mark meant when he stated that "it was only a visit, they just used our facilities" but it was what it was in the broadest and simplest sense. she did visit UST, she did use our facilities. actually, not she but the ones who organized the event which was ABS-CBN (ANC is ABS-CBN's channel). Quite frankly, she could care less where the event was held, it was ABS-CBN who decided UST to be the one to hold the forum.

So in the end, she really did just visit and use our facilities, it was ABS-CBN who chose us, not her.

+1!
    *okay*
  • sa tingin mo ba mahihirapan si clinton pumunta ng katipunan or diliman kung sakaling sa ateneo or up ginawa yung forum? ano 'yun papa-apekto sa trapik? kung kailangan hawiin ang kalsada para 'di matrapik si hillary, hahawiin 'yun no!

at kung facilities, eh di naman papahuli ang ateneo noh, meron pa nga silang school of government. wag na banggitin ang facilities ng up no dahil wala sila nun at kung meron man eh pihadong panget.

naisip ko lang ha, kung naging editors pala kayo ni markfroilan, ang gagawin nyong story title eh ganito: "hillary bumisita ng ust para gamitin ang facilities!" :rotflmao:

magsama kayo ni markfroilan, TITIRISIN KO KAYO NA PARANG NAKAKAIRITANG CUTTO!

Insecure?
    Bitter?
    Tabloid Writer?
    Racist?
    Haha.:rotflmao:
  • Ashlars wrote: »

Yet again, the name of another high-profile personality is included in UST's prestigious guest book. :)

Oo nga eh. Sayang lang at hindi ako nakapunta. Napanood ko na lang ng live sa TV. Magaling siya sumagot sa mga tanong sa kanya. Natawa na lang ako nung Pacquiao question na eh. Haha. Icebreaker. :lol:
  • So nung pumunta si Pope John Paul II sa UST nung 1995, He only used UST's facilities (Chair, Grandstand, Field, etc)? And it's nothing more than a visit? :confused:

Oww Okay. Nice info for a prospect Thomasian. :)

Katakot ka Mami Diony! :eek: :lol:

BTW, nakita ko na sa ANC kagabi. Buti may replay. :D

Nope, remember that UST is the Pontifical and Catholic University of the Philippines.
    @mommy dionesia,,,,you are lliterally her.

i attended some extra education at the AIM: the Landmark Education, a forum that literally percieves life as it is. And that it is an empty and meaningless life. What happens is this, we put meaning to events through experiences in our lives based on what we understand. Something happens and we make it mean this, well basically a visit is just a visit, a forum is just a forum.

This sums up our excuses, or stories, and our versions when we say for example we saw a hot camaro, notice i said "hot"? when camaro is just a car,,,,,was it in flames when i saw it? Was it peppered with tabasco or chili while ravaging the road? So you see i tend and place a meaning to something that is literally just an automobile.
  • clawed_outclawed_out PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    migs17 wrote: »
    I thought that this thread is about the forum, the things that she and the people there discussed.

Isn't that the Thomasians are known for their humility?

Does thinking logically makes you less of a Thomasian?

Akala mo yun at yan ang perception ng karamihan kasi nga tahimik ang "karamihan" ng mga Tomasino.

Again. Karamihan.

Madaming marunong mangatwiran at tumayo para sa sarili nila.
  • anima9 wrote: »

It was the US State Department not ABS-CBN*okay*