FEATURE ADJUSTMENT: The Flag button is temporarily unavailable for members. We are doing certain system adjustments as of the moment to prevent some users from abusing this feature. For reports, please message the moderators or email us at [email protected]
PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

Should Hong Kong declare independence from China?

what do you think? :naughty:

Comments

• BeerhandBopBeerhandBop I Am WHIP ✭✭✭
    why do you want them to be independent to begin with, anyway?
  • kel1guykel1guy Member PExer
    Think about what your saying. Hong Kong was a 99 year lease experiment as a British Colony with Chinas approval. After the turn over / return to China's purview if anyone thinks that China is going to peacefully let go of one of the most productive regions and ports that China has in their possession, you may want to re-think even posing the question. Should Hong Kong declare independence, you can rest assured that a rapid Chinese style "police state" response would follow.
  • Bahay_KuboBahay_Kubo Banned by Admin PExer
    in the first place, do the people of Hong Kong really wanted to become a part of the People's Republic of China? if i am not mistaken, most of Hong Kong's people prefer to stay with their old British masters than with the Chinese. :naughty:
  • Bahay_KuboBahay_Kubo Banned by Admin PExer
    kel1guy wrote: »
    Think about what your saying. Hong Kong was a 99 year lease experiment as a British Colony with Chinas approval. After the turn over / return to China's purview if anyone thinks that China is going to peacefully let go of one of the most productive regions and ports that China has in their possession, you may want to re-think even posing the question. Should Hong Kong declare independence, you can rest assured that a rapid Chinese style "police state" response would follow.

if i am not mistaken, it was only the New Territories which were leased by China to the UK for 99 years. Hong Kong Island and Kowloon had always been under British rule (thanks to their decisive win over China during the Opium Wars) even before the 99-year lease on the New Territories was signed.
  • R3'91R3'91 lurker extraordinaire PExer
    China would not allow it. End of story.
  • Rocker09Rocker09 Lakers and mclaren fan PExer
    R3'91 wrote: »

Exactly...HK is too productive for China to let go
  • hindi nga sinuko ang spratly islands, hongkong pa...
  • BeerhandBopBeerhandBop I Am WHIP ✭✭✭
    "n the first place, do the people of Hong Kong really wanted to become a part of the People's Republic of China? if i am not mistaken, most of Hong Kong's people prefer to stay with their old British masters than with the Chinese."

that was in 1997.

china was semi backwards then.

why would hk want to separate from the world's economic powerhouse now?
  • LimpBwiZitLimpBwiZit i know you want me ✭✭✭
    Bahay_Kubo wrote: »
    in the first place, do the people of Hong Kong really wanted to become a part of the People's Republic of China? if i am not mistaken, most of Hong Kong's people prefer to stay with their old British masters than with the Chinese. :naughty:

it's a valid point. right of the people to self-determination. tsaka di ba, they hold a different passport from mainland nationals, so medyo distinct population din talaga sila. besides, that autonomous region has all the attributes of sovereignty - own government, territory, population, even currency and police force, including right to enter into treaties with other states, albeit limited lang.

ang tanging kulang sa kanila ay recognition of their sovereignty by other states.

sa mga new-born states, Kosovo is struggling but doing well in trying to convince countries to recognize their independence from serbia. more than a year after declaring independence from serbia, kosovo is now recognized by 62 countries.

if HK declares independence, i think, it can surpass kosovo's mark. yong problem kasi with kosovo, insignificant naman for other countries kung i-recognize nila (especially those outside europe, RP included) coz wala naman silang economic activities dun. pero with HK, medyo iba ang incentives pag ni-recognize nila, and china can't make radical moves against those that would recognize coz dependent din ang economy ng China sa foreign market.

china refused to recognize kosovo and said that "just as serbia supports the one-china policy, China supports Serbia as its best and most stable friend in southeastern Europe."

i think that says a lot about what china's position would be if HK declares independence.
    R3'91 wrote: »

there you go :)

or HK may just end up like Taiwan. Independent but un-recognized, which, doesn't seem to affect them at all, anyway.
  • truistertruister Member PExer
    I say lease the Hongkies one of the island here in the Philippines for US$ 10 Billion a year for 99 years with reasonable annual escalation for them to build and transfer their wealth.

Sovereignty in the age of highly interdependent global village is overrated. Many Filipinos will trade their citizenship for a few thousand bucks and a decent place to live. So why don't we just let foreigners run some poor islands and get something back.

Let China annex ARMM for example and make it a laboratory for their new weapons to fight off the rebels then give it back to us once their done with the pest control.
  • Zzzzz...Zzzzz... *sigh* PExer
    Like what the others have said, it's a big no for China. Even if HK declares independence by force the British wouldn't intervene, heck, nor the Americans.
  • Zzzzz... wrote: »
    Like what the others have said, it's a big no for China. Even if HK declares independence by force the British wouldn't intervene, heck, nor the Americans.

yeah this is true, imagine china's military sthrenght, its nuclear program plus their space control.
  • keymakerkeymaker Member PExer
    Why would HK want to become independent from the main source of its wealth? 1997 is far different from 2009, I think most hongkies prefer to be under china than under the UK.
  • WanakoSeyWanakoSey Member PExer
    Taiwanese would say - "Good Luck to that!"
    - WanakoSey
  • razzer_risingrazzer_rising Please do not use prohibited words in your user title to avoid sanctions. ✭✭✭
    gosh I think Metro Manila should declare independence from Philippines :lol:
  • KravenKraven Member PExer
    gosh I think Metro Manila should declare independence from Philippines :lol:

That would be better for the rest of the country. Metro manila is over hyped and is the nest of the fattest, most corrupt crocodiles in the country.
  • razzer_risingrazzer_rising Please do not use prohibited words in your user title to avoid sanctions. ✭✭✭
    Kraven wrote: »
    That would be better for the rest of the country. Metro manila is over hyped and is the nest of the fattest, most corrupt crocodiles in the country.

i dont agree. gosh the fattest crocodiles in the country may live in metro manila for convenience but their "sources" of pera and all ay nasa province. if metro manila will declare independence these crocodiles will go back to their rivers and streams.
  • ang liit liit na ng bansa natin. mas malaki pa ang california tapos pang no.8 pa sila if a nation on the world's ranking of biggest GDP. Problem with the Filipino officials is corruption. Everywhere, every public office. Kelan kaya ito mababago..
  • crocopiecrocopie Luis Suarez No. 7 ✭✭✭
    They won't, or else the mainland Chinese would overrun the island and take their jobs.
  • squatterboysquatterboy Member PExer
    Hongkong can't survive without China - literally. Hongkong get its water source from China even during British rule. All China has to do is shut off the water supply.

End of story.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file