Home PEx Campus The Academe

DLSU Poetry Jam...anyone watched it?

DLSU's Literature Circle just had its Poetry Jam last March 23. Its the org's activity in celebration for World Poetry Day. It was held 1:00-2:30 at the William Shaw Theater. Did any of you watch it? If so, what do you think of it? Which poetry readers did you like, and not?

Honestly, I think the "kamustahan" group didn't deserve its place in the winning team. From personal observation, masyadong maraming focus sa presentation and props, medyo nawalan ng saysay and relevance yung tula.

What about you guys, what do you think?

Comments

• actually, favorite ko nga yung 'kamustahan' e. i think they were able to interpret the poem really well.

i also think that the girl who recited the poem by Joy Barrios was really great too. sayang nga lang at di siya nanalo pero ang galing niya sobra.

I also enjoyed watching the intermission numbers

:angel:
  • ang galing naman! may poetry reading sa la salle na ngayon! sayang... grad na ako eh... :D

:goon:
  • AdiAdi PExer
    Yup, I watched it. It was nice:) I enjoyed listening to the poems and watching all the presentations. Actually, I really liked the intermission numbers,especially the one in French, sometimes a lot more than the contestants' presentations:) Well, I hope to be watching more of stuff like that here in DLSU...
    And, yes, I agree with you Dark. The kamustahan number was good but it doesn't look and feel like much of a poetry recital. Natakpan na ng props and all the gimmick yung poem, which should have been given the most focus. Hindi ko na nga marinig yung part ng girl doon sa poem eh:( I commend the group kasi they were able to deviate from the usual way of presenting a poem, which is a breather, pero I just hope they were able to do it without sacrificing the clarity of the poem's recitation. Yung power ng poem eh nandoon sa words nya. Doon kumukuha ng images and emotion yung poem, but if we can't hear the words, then what now?...
    Wala lang...:)
  • Adi and Dark: Glad to hear I'm not the only one who feel gyped with the "kamustahan" presentation. The whole time I was watching the "kamustahan" presentation, my mind keeps on coming back to the time Ms. Shirley Lua told us that when you are reciting poetry, you're not the star, the poem and the poet is. I just didn't see that in "kamustahan". Especially the final intermission number. SO much interpretation, gimmicks, dramatics and props, pero yung essence ng poem, wala. I can't even distinguish the original poem's lines from the lines the performers added. Tsk tsk.

If there is one winner that deserved the prize, it was definitely Krystal Mercado's presentation of Li Po's poem. She was able to honor the writer and the poem, and at the same time, interpret the poem her own way. Now that's a poetry recitation.
  • I agree with Nights.

When Krystal presented her poem during our Worlit class, she was great. Definitely one of the best. Marco Panajon also had a great presentation during our class...he mimicked Joker Arroyo. The whole class was in stitches right after. :D

Of course we cheered lustily for them!

The rest of the poetry participants were good as well. We had a fun time watching them recite.

I thought that the problem with the girl who recited Joi Barrios was her voice needed projection. The emotion was already there, but her voice needed improvement. Otherwise, it was a job well done.

Lasallians are definitely multi-talented.

• I know, Adi, I loved the people who recited in French the best!

I agree with you guys also that kamustahan failed to honor the poem and the poet. Among the performers, I favored the ones that have no "gimmicks" or hooblah to distract the audience from understanding the poem. I like the girls who read J.Neil's "Psyche", when I heard them read it, I immediately bought the book. I love the poems, napaka-romantic with a hint of suggestive eroticism. :D Sayang nga lang nagkamali sila at wala silang other props to wow the audience.

I also liked the one who read Joi Barrios' poem. Ang cute niya panoorin. And of course, Krystal Mercado's performance was spectacular. Li Po himself would probably be standing on his feet and clapping for her recital of his poem. _Mase_, so you're Krystal's classmate? You're lucky to get poetry performances in your class, I wish I could be in a class that does that also.
  • Well navypants, it's almost a requirement.

You see, I'm a Lit major. :D

• Oh...are you a Lit major as well, or you just like literature?

• Sadly, _Mase_, I'm just a lover of literature. :( I'd love to be a literature major though. I heard the Lit department is full of celebrity writers. :)
  • Dark, I really really need to know who you are, you are killing me. you were at the poetry jam, you quoted something one of my classmates said in Eco class and you know about Malate. I have an idea, pero when i asked you sabi mo hindi ikaw. you're driving me crazy. I think you know who i am, please, please tell me who you are. Kahit clue lang, as in your name starts with this or that letter. Anything to keep me sane.

BTW, i loved the poetry jam. I hope the lit circle has something like that next year.
  • Acidtrip: Huh??? What the hell are you talking about?? I've never quoted anything about anyone on eco, and I've never talked to you before. I think you've mistaken me for someone else.
  • yes you did, ikaw ang naglagay sa mga words quoted from teachers na hindi naman teacher ang nagsabi "he's wearing violet. he's wearing my favorite color. he's wearing me." hello. sino pa ba ang nakakaalam non kundi classmates ko lang at impossibleng hindi kita tinanong dahil lahat ng tao with a radius of three seats from me tinanong ko. well, sino ka ba? really you're driving me crazy. i have to know.
  • yes you did, ikaw ang naglagay sa mga words quoted from teachers na hindi naman teacher ang nagsabi "he's wearing violet. he's wearing my favorite color. he's wearing me." hello. sino pa ba ang nakakaalam non kundi classmates ko lang at impossibleng hindi kita tinanong dahil lahat ng tao with a radius of three seats from me tinanong ko. well, sino ka ba? really you're driving me crazy. i have to know.