Home PEx Lifestyle Body and Fitness
'Tis the season. Happy Holidays, PExers!
Reminder: You never know what someone is going through, so be kind.

A trim-down tale & a question on women's thighs and calves

A little advice and feedback on my routine perhaps?

It’s been almost 2 years since I gave birth and getting rid of the post-pregnancy fats are so overdue! I started with some brisk walking for about 30 minutes, 3x a week and then moved on to jogging. Been doing that for some 2 months now and my pants are a considerably baggy now. I’ve been getting some compliments on how I’ve slimmed down some. :love:

I amped up the routine a bit with some home exercise vids, y’know for the mornings I can’t jog like when it rains or I take a rain check … I got some belly dancing, I got tae-bo, I even got that basic strip tease aerobics-dance thing Carmen Eletra has going. :bashful: But the one I liked best was cindy crawford’s routine... it’s an old vid (title: the next challenge workout) but it’s the one I’ve been sticking to for a month and a half now, and I’ve been doing it 3 x a week also, well as much as possible anyway.

I dunno if exercise vids sit well with you gym guys but how I wish I had some time for the gym. I’ve never done gym before, by the way.

Current Routine:
M-W-F, jogging for about 30 mins;
T-Th-S, exercise vid that runs for an hour.

* The routine of either outdoor or indoor sessions can cut down to 2x a week if I’m feeling really lazy.

Oh, details of the video routine:
- Warm up/ stretches
- A little cardio “to get the heart pumping… ” (some jogging in place with variations)
- Legs (they’re killer… I didn’t think I could do half of them when I started!), 15-30 sec breaks in between. Consist of some sets and variations of lunges done in sets, some karate kicks with variations, done in sets. There are some sumo-wrestling type moves thrown in occasionally, to target inner thighs I suppose
- Stomach, so it’s down on the mat with some crunches and variations, sit-ups.
- Chest: whilst still on the floor after those stomach exercises, I do a set of chest exercises with free weights.
- Arms: Get up to do some bicep curls, tricep curls, bent over rowing, and all those variations.
- Stomach: another set on the mat
- Back: a few simple arm and leg raises while lying with front on the mat to work the lower back
- Lastly, stretches and post-work out warm up

Over all, I see good changes physically, hope I can keep this up. Even my skin is showing a lot of glow. Pregnancy weight, I weighed up to 150lbs, post-pregnancy and before I started exercising, I was at 135lbs, now I’m down to 115lbs. Height: 5’.

I still have to discipline myself in the food area though. I’ve been eating healthier, but I think I have more cheat days than I want to let on :lol:

Ok, that being my mala-novela story of my journey into weight loss, which isn’t even a success story just yet…. I have a Q:

Anything I can do to get leaner legs.. particularly thighs and calves?

I’m short (5’) so the thick thighs and big calves kind of stand out. The thighs probably have some hope with all those lunges and kicks, even my butt is shaping up. But my calves? They aren’t half-bad, I guess. I mean, I’ve seen bigger calves on other women, but inggit din naman ako sa may mga slender legs, hehe. They just really kinda stand out on my short legs.

Pasensya na at mahaba kwento ko ha? Will appreciate the help!

Comments

• blakedaddyblakedaddy Moderator PEx Expert 🎖️
    I still have to discipline myself in the food area though. I’ve been eating healthier, but I think I have more cheat days than I want to let on

This is your main concern for now :) get this fixed and you'll look better...

now remembe, starving yourself and then eating a few pieces of fruit is also a big no-no

oh kara... wheere are you.. I think we need a woman's perspective on this :D
  • Anything I can do to get leaner legs.. particularly thighs and calves?

really, your diet is the key to getting leaner legs and smaller calves. Calves are ridiculously hard to get bigger, so I suspect yours isn't muscular, just big.

Now, on to the workout:
    I don't really know much about it, but your goal is really just maintaining what muscle mass you have, as well as expending as much energy as possible. To that end, you might be doing too many isolated exercises (curls, abs stuff). You're not really a bodybuilder, you don't need to target biceps/triceps too much. Focus on compound lifts - try out a couple of these exercises and use high reps. Search youtube for some demonstrations.

1-arm, 1-leg dumbbell deadlifts - hams and butt
    sumo squats - for inner thighs
    squat kicks - using the sumo stance, squat down, come up, do a side kick, squat again, do a kick on the other leg, repeat
    flutter kicks - replace sit-ups (w/c are useless imo) with these
    planks, side planks - works the abs great
    jump squats/lunge - don't worry about your calves too much
    pushups - all the chest exercise you need (if you can't do them, do it from a kneeling position)
    db rows and pullovers - for the back

there are tons of others, of course - just tailor the program that's right for you. And if you want more specific workouts, search "model fitness Kim Strother" - ford models are always a win in my book.
  • Well, as a female who's gone through what you have I say you're on the right track. Congrats on getting serious and losing the post baby weight. Personally I love strenght training so if you want to amp this up some more do so. As far as legs go, my inner thighs we're my prob also, I did a gazillion lunges and all it's variations at my old gym. The sumo squats described above will help, been there done that na also. Or if you want, do squats too to hit the thighs and butt all around.

I'm so down with the excercise vids!:) I have a ton of them, this is what I was doing for 20 years, working out at home before I got serious sa gym. Try to advance to more tougher vids later for a more kick-butt workout and accelerate wt. loss. Good luck sis!
  • hi, tanusha! congrats on your progress so far! i know exactly what you mean about wanting to trim thighs and calves -- i swear, those are the absolute last places i lose fat, and i'm only 5'2. seriously, my waistline is only about 3-4 inches bigger than my thighs. ganun katindi! :lol:

i started out with exercise vids too -- the one with carmen elektra and her trainer was "tough" for me back then. i did turbo jam too, which really didn't do much for me, and the cardio cheer series, which was pretty decent.

but back to our favorite area. the cardio really didn't do anything to make my thighs and calves smaller. of course, the having more good days than cheat days is the first priority in fat loss! :D but back then, even when i was down to a decent weight, my calves and thighs still seemed disproportionately chunky relative to the rest of my body.

but the only thing that really helped for me was lifting heavy. granted, my legs never did and never will reach the slenderness i used to aspire for, but getting them "toned" makes them look a whole lot better. at least now, i can wear shorts without being too worried about my legs being too much like logs. :lol:

btw, if this is your routine -
    M-W-F, jogging for about 30 mins;
    T-Th-S, exercise vid that runs for an hour.
    you have enough time for the gym. personally, i only put in about 3 hrs a week in the gym. i'm not sure about sis airborne02, but i think it would be somewhat similar. i really encourage you to start lifting weights, because honestly, in my loooong quest for better-looking legs, that's the only thing that has made my lower body progress noticeably. :)
  • I agree with sis kara, if pwede ka mag gym, mas iba yung results you'll get cos your going to be challenged more. With vids, minsan if it's easy, not much of a challenge, and you tend to "dial it in". Since my program is different I spend a bit more time sa gym, but this is me.;) Just tailor a program to fit your needs and time constraints.
  • oh wow, thanks for the responses!

From the posts so far, emphasis is on the diet, so ok, noted po! Will seriously address this concern. I didn't burn out all this fat just to have 'em pile up again because I can't control the food. And yes po, I will not resort to starving! :glee: Anyway, I know it doesn't work long term -- physically or emotionally. Thanks for that reminder!

I guess I should worry less about the calves for the time being... I'm probably asking too much right now when so many good things have happened so far. I guess it will follow lalo na I see the positive changes my whole body is going through. I just can't wait for shorts to look good on me again, hehe. Modesty aside, I have nice, smooth legs na nasasayang because my legs are.... uh how kara puts it... logs. :lol: Sige lang, in due time eh?

Ok the gym thing... did i mention i've never done gym? Medyo naiilang ako eh. I suppose I'd get even better results with the guidance of gym instructors and others there who are into fitness but medyo naiilang pa ako eh. I dunno all those gym terms and I kinda have this notion that most regular gym goers (of say, a gym they've been frequenting) have superiority complex. Ok, ok, my fears are most likely unfounded! Siguro nahihiya lang talaga ako .. did i mention i've never done gym ever? :lol:
  • illuminaillumina PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I have a different experience from sis kara—my thighs got even smaller since I upped my cardio at home since quitting the gym (my bank account told me to quit—I'd still be going to the gym if I still could afford it). I got lucky in the genetic lottery, for once.
  • No matter if you stay home or go to a gym, it is very important to have specific, measurable goals with a deadline set to it -and with those goals in mind, set up benchmarks at regular intervals. Have you measured your thighs and calves? Do you know how much you've leaned out there? Just know that you can't spot-reduce fat, so if those are the last areas where you'll lose fat, you'll have to be more patient.

Well, the benefit of the gym, aside from the equipment and the guidance, is the commitment the money requires. For example, one of the reasons psychologist get paid so much is that the money required to pay them forces their clients to take their therapy seriously - the same thing with gyms.

If you're afraid of not knowing what to do once you get to a gym, then just figure it out! Figure out a basic program you can do for one day, look at youtube to quickly see how the exercises are done and what equipment to use, go in w/ a friend if you can, ask for help if needed. No one will laugh at you if you don't know how to use stuff - remember, all of them went through the same experience as you. (p.s. some machines have instructions on them). And I don't think it is the newbies regulars hate - it's those wasting time socializing and those hogging the weights (and those who sweat on equipment).
  • At this point, just keep on doing what your doing, be it videos, your own training or if you want later, the gym. No pressure to join or go when you're not ready yet. It's not the end all or be all of a fitness routine. Actually I learned a lot of things from my strenght training videos, so I wasn't that intimidated when I got to the gym.

So it's totally up to you where you want to take it next. Glad to see you've accepted that your legs are quite fine and are worthy of being shown off, life's too short, just go flaunt 'em!:) You've worked hard enough that you can.
  • Thanks so much for the responses here! Maybe the gym can wait a bit, I'll 'zhashing' my confidence up a bit hehe. But I am enjoying my fitness routine and this gradual change in lifestyle, although I am without some expert guidance. I really look forward to doing all that.
  • did jogging in place in tabata intervals yesterday afternoon. Pretty tame but for a beginner like me, it was gruesome by the 4th set. I was panting like mad but I made it 4 mins. Did another set this morning to replace my morning jog. It was fantastic!
  • Waaaay to go sis!:D
    keep up the good work *okay*

I was thinking, since you don't really like working out in the gym and rahter work out at home, have you considered kettlebell training?
  • Thanks much!

Kettlebell... wazzat? Joke! I googled it, hehe. Hmmm, interesting. Where can I get those? I mean, at a sports shop, is it readily available?

I am considering working out at a gym, just a little bit intimidated at the moment to actually sign up at one. Will wait till the confidence builds up a bit. In the meantime, thoroughly enjoying working out at home! I actually wrote my goals down.

Funny enough, it's not the cardio and strength training that's daunting, it's controlling excessive food intake! So hard to fight the urges for the sweet tooth. Yesterday, had to attend an occasion...omg buffet servings! I keep thinking, get a lil of everything so i wont feel deprived, but it's kinda hard not to fill and refill the plate. Wahhh... I so gotta get in control.
  • I did not bother to read the thread.

Just wanted a place to post this:
    squat.jpg

Carry on.
    Where can I get those? I mean, at a sports shop, is it readily available?

you can PM lifebalance they carry good quality kettlebells :)
    t's controlling excessive food intake! So hard to fight the urges for the sweet tooth. Yesterday, had to attend an occasion...omg buffet servings! I keep thinking, get a lil of everything so i wont feel deprived, but it's kinda hard not to fill and refill the plate. Wahhh... I so gotta get in control.

getting that under control is already half the battle
  • Tanusha wrote: »
    Funny enough, it's not the cardio and strength training that's daunting, it's controlling excessive food intake! So hard to fight the urges for the sweet tooth. Yesterday, had to attend an occasion...omg buffet servings! I keep thinking, get a lil of everything so i wont feel deprived, but it's kinda hard not to fill and refill the plate. Wahhh... I so gotta get in control.

This was also a big issue with me when working out at home, I didn't really watch what I ate, I'm not being a bad example ha!:) Pero same tayo, I have a massive sweet tooth also, worse pa the cravings when you get your period.:lol: It's just na if you're not accountable to anyone except yourself, you tend to give yourself some slack.;) At my last gym I was accountable to my trainer, so I behaved.

What I used to do when I went overboard was do extra cardio, just so you wont feel too bad you over did it.:) Or plan your "cheat" days too, watch what you eat for the week then if buffet time is coming up what I'd do is extra cardio before and after this. Then just go right back to watching what you eat the rest of the week. Always do this, it gives you that sense of control. If not its easy to just backslide and go back to your usual way of eating.
  • Thanks blakedaddy. Taken that bit of advice to heart. *okay*

airborne02 wrote: »
    This was also a big issue with me when working out at home, I didn't really watch what I ate, I'm not being a bad example ha!:) Pero same tayo, I have a massive sweet tooth also, worse pa the cravings when you get your period.:lol: It's just na if you're not accountable to anyone except yourself, you tend to give yourself some slack.;) At my last gym I was accountable to my trainer, so I behaved.

What I used to do when I went overboard was do extra cardio, just so you wont feel too bad you over did it.:) Or plan your "cheat" days too, watch what you eat for the week then if buffet time is coming up what I'd do is extra cardio before and after this. Then just go right back to watching what you eat the rest of the week. Always do this, it gives you that sense of control. If not its easy to just backslide and go back to your usual way of eating.

I guess that's the downside of working out at home with only yourself to answer to. It's so easy to lose control. Actually, the times I do tend to give in to the cravings I do extra cardio. (you know how intense it gets when you're PMSing di ba? :lol) And I keep telling myself all the effort I worked up for months will count for nothing if I lose control. Iskeri, eek! :lol:

I have a question: I replaced my 3x a week jogging with some daily tabata. Jogs pa lang kasi newbie. I do variations... regular jogs, knees-to-waist jogs, jumping, jogs na parang lunges, things like that. Nakakapagod din naman, pero... errr.. I dont seem to be working up a sweat. Am I doing it all wrong?
    I have a question: I replaced my 3x a week jogging with some daily tabata. Jogs pa lang kasi newbie. I do variations... regular jogs, knees-to-waist jogs, jumping, jogs na parang lunges, things like that. Nakakapagod din naman, pero... errr.. I dont seem to be working up a sweat. Am I doing it all wrong?

as always sweating more doesn't necesarily mean you are doing a better workout...
  • There is no such thing as targeted shrinking. It is always a total body work-out. Do cardio to burn fats then strength training to build muscle. More muscle equals more calories burned. If you're into exercise videos, Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, No More Trouble Zones and Boost Your Metabolism is a killer. Its not easy but well-worth the sweat. Its cardio, strength and abs packaged to make you bleed, well not literally, but it is challenging. Personally, I run at 3 to 3.5 miles, 5 times a week then do a longer run after my rest day. 3 days road running and 3 sa TM to save my knees. So my calves and legs are defined from running. Wag kang ma-conscious sa gym because the die-hard gym goers hardly really notice you. :)