Home PEx Lifestyle Body and Fitness

Behind the neck lat pull-down

I see people do it and I did it once (pardon my ignorance) but I have been told by the PT that it's wrong.

They say the correct way is in front of your chest not behind the neck. What's the reason anyway? And is there any advantage of pulling it down behind the neck?

Comments

• blakedaddyblakedaddy Moderator PEx Expert 🎖️
    ^ many Pts in the gym nowadays are indeed PTs physical therapists pretending to be strength coaches...

now,in their lingo, that exercise is contraindicated aka bawal but based on what I've seen, there are not contraindicated exercies, only contraindicated individuals...

but, also, doing pulldowns to the front allows for greater range of motion, hence its better
  • bawal na individuals?

Behind the neck pulldown doesn't really have an advantage over pulling to the front and it's risky for some. It's an unnatural position for your neck and it could mess up your rotator cuffs.
    ^ yup.. if you have bad rotator cuffs for example, then anything done behind the neck or upright rows will do more danger than good..

you have a leg or back injury, you can put yourself in a bad situation doing regular squats....
  • I agree with BLAKEDADDY, there are probably more contraindicated people than contraindicated individuals, as well as a number of inexperienced phy. therapists trying to be strength coaches.

But in all fairness, a PHYSICAL THERAPISTS`s foundation in the health sciences give them an advantage in learning some training methodology, and some have even been instrumental in discovering some training methodology`s that we dont properly attribute to them, so i give them credit for that. Your average physical therapist just generally need MORE Experience in the strength field.
    patrick
  • patrickt wrote: »
    I agree with BLAKEDADDY, there are probably more contraindicated people than contraindicated individuals, as well as a number of inexperienced phy. therapists trying to be strength coaches.

But in all fairness, a PHYSICAL THERAPISTS`s foundation in the health sciences give them an advantage in learning some training methodology, and some have even been instrumental in discovering some training methodology`s that we dont properly attribute to them, so i give them credit for that. Your average physical therapist just generally need MORE Experience in the strength field.
    patrick

I agree with this.

I also agree that doing behind the neck pulldowns is not needed.
  • does this also apply to shoulder press behind the neck?
    ^ yup same rule applies. If your shoulders are not that flexible, don't do behind the neck presses
  • knightinarmorknightinarmor PEx Rookie ⭐
    thanks guys