Home PEx International Entertainment International Movies

The Hobbit (Prequel to the Lord of the Rings Trilogy)

Article from Collider

If you’re a fan of “The Lord of the Rings” movies and cannot wait to see Guillermo del Toro’s “The Hobbit” in two years, the news you’re about to read is going to make you very happy.

The re-building of Hobbiton has begun!

Yes, the village where Bilbo Baggins, Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee live has begun being rebuilt for the upcoming movies. So if you’re interested in seeing what work has been done so far, after the jump are two pictures. I’m sure you want to see them!

The news that Bag End and Hobbiton are being rebuilt comes from the great folks at theonering.net. With production gearing up on “The Hobbit”, I think they’re about to be very busy providing us with news and gossip on the production.

Below you’ll find two images from their story, but for more go to the site. As a HUGE fan of “The Lord of the Rings” movies, you can expect plenty of updates and info on “The Hobbit”. Get ready.

The%20Hobbit%20movie%20-%20Rebuilding%20Hobbiton%20-%20Fruit%20trees%20being%20planted.jpg

The%20Hobbit%20movie%20The%20cutting%20where%20Gandalf%20and%20Frodo%20rode%20into%20Hobbiton%20is%20re-established.jpg

Comments

• Legal settlement clears way for "Hobbit" movie (Reuters)

The Hollywood studio behind a film based on "The Hobbit" and trustees for author J.R.R. Tolkien's estate said on Tuesday they had settled a lawsuit that clears the way for what is expected to be a blockbuster movie based on the book.

"The Hobbit" is a 1937 book by Tolkien about a diminutive character named Bilbo Baggins who goes on a treasure-seeking adventure, and it sets the stage for Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, with its epic tale of magic and warfare.

The "Lord of the Rings" books were made into three films released by New Line Cinema between 2001 and 2003 that made about $2.9 billion at worldwide box offices, and similarly "The Hobbit" is widely expected to be a blockbuster hit.

But in February 2008, the trustees of the Tolkien's estate filed a lawsuit against New Line, a division of Time Warner Inc, seeking more than $150 million in profits from the "Rings" movies, it claimed it was owed.

The lawsuit also sought to block filming of "The Hobbit," which will now be made into two movies by Guillermo del Toro, the filmmaker behind "Pan's Labyrinth" and "Hellboy."

Financial terms of the settlement were not released, but the author's son, Christopher Tolkien, said in a statement that as a result of the agreement, "New Line may now proceed with its proposed films of 'The Hobbit.'"

HarperCollins Publishers Ltd, a publisher of Tolkien's works, joined trustees of the Tolkien estate in the lawsuit. The Tolkien Trust, a charity tied to the late author's estate, has given away more than $8 million in the last five years.
  • ^^ Wonderful!!! Both the Hobbiton pics and the happy news of the settlement! :)

God, I'm sooo excited over The Hobbit and so happy that although it's not Peter Jackson who will direct (the first choice by fans for always!), they've chosen Del Torro to do it. Del Torro is GREAT and his "Pan's Labyrinth" is just awesome, and so he is a most welcome and comforting 2nd choice. I'm also glad that Jackson will continue to have a hand in making the film; that way, "continuity" of feel and look and substance can be protected, even if Del Torro himself has his own distinct brand of film-making and imagery ..

As for casting, as far as I know, Sir Ian McKellen is a go (his is a central character and having him again as Gandalf is such a relief!).. Serkis is also a go.. *okay*.. though they may have to find another actor for Saruman and, of course, for Bilbo himself..

As for elements/scenes, I hope that they'd come up with the most awesome dragon ever!

Can't wait!
  • MrSinisterMrSinister PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    According to an interesting article on the LA Times website, there are three finalists for role of The Hobbit's Bilbo Baggins. It looks like it's going to be either Harry Potter, The Last King of Scotland or Dr. Who. In other words, the lead role in Guillermo del Toro's The Hobbit has come down to Daniel Radcliffe, James McAvoy or David Tennant.
  • james mcavoy is the perfect choice for me....

did he really consider potter as a hobbit??? lol!
  • kasi medyo maliit si daniel eh.. hehe... james mcavoy for me...
  • Econ_major wrote: »
    kasi medyo maliit si daniel eh.. hehe...

yeah, he's small but in terms of looks and acting :confused:
  • James McAvoy for me too :bashful:
  • sickmaggotsickmaggot PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    MrSinister wrote: »
    According to an interesting article on the LA Times website, there are three finalists for role of The Hobbit's Bilbo Baggins. It looks like it's going to be either Harry Potter, The Last King of Scotland or Dr. Who. In other words, the lead role in Guillermo del Toro's The Hobbit has come down to Daniel Radcliffe, James McAvoy or David Tennant.

What the hell? Harry Potter as Bilbo? No way! I'll go for James McAvoy or Tom Cruise. :lol:
  • Yeah, McAvoy should be great! *okay*

Though I'm still thinking of him as a goat! :D

Okay.. a faun

tumnus_faun_satyr.jpg
  • st.angerst.anger PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    sickmaggot wrote: »
    What the hell? Harry Potter as Bilbo? No way! I'll go for James McAvoy or Tom Cruise. :lol:

we must not let the potter-fanboys/girls join the LOTR bandwagon! lol
  • dufresneandydufresneandy PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    nakakahiya man pero kinilig ako sa lucy-faun angle sa con,

tama no to lotr, hp mixed up!
  • st.anger wrote: »
    we must not let the potter-fanboys/girls join the LOTR bandwagon! lol

damn right we shouldnt let them :lol:
  • sacredfleshsacredflesh PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    sickmaggot wrote: »

Tom Cruise! *okay*
  • nozmailnozmail PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    slice_mcavoy_radcliffe_tennant_hobbit_01.jpg

the third guy. sya yung gumanap na barty crouch jr diba?

ay sorry LOTR territory pala to. :hiya:
  • Tom Cruise! *okay*

Oh, no!

Like, He might be expensive, but we can save big from lesser need for CGI-- he's already a Hobbit, right?...:D

Tom has suffered ENOUGH Hobbit jokes! :(

Spare Maverick!
  • nweknweknweknwek PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    cant wait for this =D
  • sacredfleshsacredflesh PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Brian Cox is rumored to be a major contender to play a dwarf in Guillermo del Toro's big screen version of JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit.

The story says that the producers are currently casting these roles and that Cox is at the top of the list. There is no other information aside from that.

Based on JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit, is the story of Bilbo Baggins, who is seen in Lord of the Rings trilogy. The Hobbit follows Bilbo as he first encounters Gandalf. He is somewhat unwillingly swept off on an adventure to the lonely mountain to rid it of the dragon, Smaug. The dragon is guarding a treasure of enormous value that he had firstly taken from the dwarves who once lived there. A major battle shortly, ensues.

The Hobbit is slated to be released in November 2011.
  • sickmaggotsickmaggot PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    yeah, bring on Tom Cruise! he's perfect as a Hobbit
  • Brian Cox is rumored to be a major contender to play a dwarf in Guillermo del Toro's big screen version of JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit.

The story says that the producers are currently casting these roles and that Cox is at the top of the list. There is no other information aside from that.

The Hobbit is slated to be released in November 2011.

Brian Cox is perfect for a dwarf. and why the November 2011 slot? why not the December 16-19 slot of the LOTR movies? or a summer release? why are they opting for the HP/Twilight slot?
    MrSinister wrote: »

NO to Harry nor to Dr. Who.... JAMES MCAVOY is perfect for the young Bilbo
    cutthroaty wrote: »
    ^^ Wonderful!!! Both the Hobbiton pics and the happy news of the settlement! :)

As for casting, as far as I know, Sir Ian McKellen is a go (his is a central character and having him again as Gandalf is such a relief!).. Serkis is also a go.. *okay*.. though they may have to find another actor for Saruman and, of course, for Bilbo himself..

Can't wait!

why a new actor for Saruman? Christopher Lee is still alive and well aint he?