Suggestions for new PBA Draft Rules and Regulations

durden_tylerdurden_tyler Member PExer
Ok maybe it won't solve everything but read below, i think it will surely help their cause in the future. This could be a long read, so bear with me...

EXTEND THE SIGNING RIGHTS FOR TEAMS

Give the PBA team which drafted him an extended period of time to hold the player's signing rights: from 2 years drag it to 6 years. These are just signing rights not contract rights to a player.

If players and teams can't agree to a contract, it is both their loss initially--- the player can't play and get a contract the team lose out on their targeted player.

DRAFT PICK TO FREE AGENCY, WITH RESTRICTIONS
The drafted player becomes a virtual RESTRICTED free agent if he doesn't sign with the original team which drafted him; but because they have his signing rights they can match any other team's offer--- meaning they get the rights of first refusal or the new team which tries to sign him can offer a trade to the said player hoping the other team agrees.

(For the NBA fans out there, this is straight out of the book on their rule on restricted free agency)

A ROOKIE SCALE
Draft picks salaries in the NBA differ from 1 to 30--- they have already a rookie scale contract in place even before any signing is executed. It adds prestige to being a number one pick compared to being a late lottery pick. The PBA should adapt this for the mere reason that being drafted high in the a draft pick should be some sort of a prize: the higher you get picked the higher your salary is. That will force players to work harder in the amateurs and draft camps because they know there's a difference financially.

COVERING THE LOOPHOLES

A STRICT AND SHORTER NEGOTIATION PERIOD
Put a deadline, say a 20-day negotiation period, this will clamp down on procrastination on management, player and player's agent)

If negotiations bog down or after the 20-day period is over, the player can start negotiating with other teams (again, with a deadline) if he still can't decide with that new team, he sits out a year and can't sign with any PBA team. The next year, he goes back to square one if he wants to play in the PBA.

DIMINISHING MAX CONTRACTS FOR UNSIGNED DRAFTEES
Currently, the rookies can be paid a maximum 8.7M/ 3 years contract (gradual increase from the first to third year starting at 150,000) i have to assume there's a minimum.

Now to protect the team's interest and penalize the player who chose not to sign with any team despite declaring for the draft, the PBA should lower the max-limit for that unsigned player the year after he is drafted. The starting monthly salary limit is at 150,000; make it 130,00 in the second year, then 110,000 in the third and so on...

If you are the player (or agent) who got drafted you know your financial value will lower the next year, forcing you to make the decision to join the league on the year you are drafted.

DIMINISHING MAX CONTRACTS for UNSIGNED DRAFTEES who has played in other Pro Leagues
With the dawn of pro leagues like the Euro League , NBDL and maybe, Asean Basketball League, the PBA has recognized (or should) that there are threats to the services of their draft picks. (La Liga and PBL could be another matter since they are the virtual farm league of the PBA; for Smart Gilas, they have to define first if this is a Pro Team since they are getting paid)

Quick note: It's normal for leagues to fight for the services of players, it is happening all the time. Fighting for drafted players (since the they have shown "interest") services is another matter. [/I]

To at least slow down the threat, the PBA should put in a rule which covers the drafted players who have spurned the league; A 50%-reduction if the player re-joins the league in the second year after the year he was drafted (From 150,000/m to 75,000/m the first year--- if it reaches the minimum it stays there)

If a player chooses another league or any team outside of the league they will have to re-consider their position because of the financial differences.

+++

In conclusion, the PBA has no control over the players final decision before and after the draft. But with these rules at least their draft interests (investments) are protected, one way or the other. If a player decides to play elsewhere, it's his choice and the PBA can do nothing about it (as is the case now) but at least let them re-consider their stand because of the financial repercussions that come with it.

It's not a perfect solution, there could be loopholes but it could be a start. If you have any other ideas and disagree with some of my points, please post as we just want the best and most fair system in the league.

Comments

• ^Maganda ito.
    Dapat talaga may clear guidelines.

Dagdag ko lang na sana hindi lang yung 2 lowest teams ang nasa lottery and change the draft lottery para teams won't just tank their season just so they can get the top pick.

I propose that the lottery be:

Lowest team - 6 balls 6/12 - 50% chance of getting top pick
    2nd lowest - 4 balls 4/12 - 33.3% chance of getting top pick
    3rd lowest - 2 balls 2/12 - 16.6% chance of getting top pick
  • ^Maganda ito.
    Dapat talaga may clear guidelines.

Dagdag ko lang na sana hindi lang yung 2 lowest teams ang nasa lottery and change the draft lottery para teams won't just tank their season just so they can get the top pick.

I propose that the lottery be:

Lowest team - 6 balls 6/12 - 50% chance of getting top pick
    2nd lowest - 4 balls 4/12 - 33.3% chance of getting top pick
    3rd lowest - 2 balls 2/12 - 16.6% chance of getting top pick

Sa tingin ko kulang pa nga eh, dapat gawin pa apat!
  • pulangpulapulangpula Member PExer
    IMHO there's nothing wrong with the current guidelines. it just so happened that guiao, lito alvarez and sonny barrios are a bunch of primadonnas and sore losers.
    Ok maybe it won't solve everything but read below, i think it will surely help their cause in the future. This could be a long read, so bear with me...

EXTEND THE SIGNING RIGHTS FOR TEAMS

Give the PBA team which drafted him an extended period of time to hold the player's signing rights: from 2 years drag it to 6 years. These are just signing rights not contract rights to a player.

If players and teams can't agree to a contract, it is both their loss initially--- the player can't play and get a contract the team lose out on their targeted player.

DRAFT PICK TO FREE AGENCY, WITH RESTRICTIONS
    The drafted player becomes a virtual RESTRICTED free agent if he doesn't sign with the original team which drafted him; but because they have his signing rights they can match any other team's offer--- meaning they get the rights of first refusal or the new team which tries to sign him can offer a trade to the said player hoping the other team agrees.

(For the NBA fans out there, this is straight out of the book on their rule on restricted free agency)

A ROOKIE SCALE
    Draft picks salaries in the NBA differ from 1 to 30--- they have already a rookie scale contract in place even before any signing is executed. It adds prestige to being a number one pick compared to being a late lottery pick. The PBA should adapt this for the mere reason that being drafted high in the a draft pick should be some sort of a prize: the higher you get picked the higher your salary is. That will force players to work harder in the amateurs and draft camps because they know there's a difference financially.

COVERING THE LOOPHOLES

A STRICT AND SHORTER NEGOTIATION PERIOD
    Put a deadline, say a 20-day negotiation period, this will clamp down on procrastination on management, player and player's agent)

If negotiations bog down or after the 20-day period is over, the player can start negotiating with other teams (again, with a deadline) if he still can't decide with that new team, he sits out a year and can't sign with any PBA team. The next year, he goes back to square one if he wants to play in the PBA.

DIMINISHING MAX CONTRACTS FOR UNSIGNED DRAFTEES
    Currently, the rookies can be paid a maximum 8.7M/ 3 years contract (gradual increase from the first to third year starting at 150,000) i have to assume there's a minimum.

Now to protect the team's interest and penalize the player who chose not to sign with any team despite declaring for the draft, the PBA should lower the max-limit for that unsigned player the year after he is drafted. The starting monthly salary limit is at 150,000; make it 130,00 in the second year, then 110,000 in the third and so on...

If you are the player (or agent) who got drafted you know your financial value will lower the next year, forcing you to make the decision to join the league on the year you are drafted.

DIMINISHING MAX CONTRACTS for UNSIGNED DRAFTEES who has played in other Pro Leagues
    With the dawn of pro leagues like the Euro League , NBDL and maybe, Asean Basketball League, the PBA has recognized (or should) that there are threats to the services of their draft picks. (La Liga and PBL could be another matter since they are the virtual farm league of the PBA; for Smart Gilas, they have to define first if this is a Pro Team since they are getting paid)

Quick note: It's normal for leagues to fight for the services of players, it is happening all the time. Fighting for drafted players (since the they have shown "interest") services is another matter. [/I]

To at least slow down the threat, the PBA should put in a rule which covers the drafted players who have spurned the league; A 50%-reduction if the player re-joins the league in the second year after the year he was drafted (From 150,000/m to 75,000/m the first year--- if it reaches the minimum it stays there)

If a player chooses another league or any team outside of the league they will have to re-consider their position because of the financial differences.

+++

In conclusion, the PBA has no control over the players final decision before and after the draft. But with these rules at least their draft interests (investments) are protected, one way or the other. If a player decides to play elsewhere, it's his choice and the PBA can do nothing about it (as is the case now) but at least let them re-consider their stand because of the financial repercussions that come with it.

It's not a perfect solution, there could be loopholes but it could be a start. If you have any other ideas and disagree with some of my points, please post as we just want the best and most fair system in the league.

everything you said here is in favor of the PBA.

draft rights from 2 years to 6 years? lower payscale for those who signed after their draft class or played in other leagues?

what's this? forced servitude?

its the players who the fans watch during the games and not the team officials so if there's a group that needs protecting its the players.

bear in mind, its not only the team that is investing here but the players as well, professional sports is a two way street. the way you argued its as if players are just like steers being auctioned at a meat market.

players have rights too.
  • MeFan_YouJaneMeFan_YouJane WhoYou? ✭✭✭
    How about compensating players (3-6 months worth) who are drafted, but not eventually signed? This will make the teams think twice before drafting 5 or more players.
  • ^With only 2 rounds in the draft making it a maximum of 20 players drafted. I don't think drafting 5 or more players is still possible.

Pop Cola ba yun yung nag draft ng napakarami dati?
  • Derrick_Rose#1Derrick_Rose#1 NBA Rookie of the Year PExer
    Dapat hanggang 24 yrs.old lang yung age limit kagaya nung sa NBA.

para makakakuha yung mga PBA teams ng mga 20-23 yrs.old na Rookie.

Saka di ba sinabi ni Noli Eala na gagawin daw nila na farm league yung Liga Pilipinas pwede din nila paglaruin yung mga Rookies nila para naman ma develop yung skills nila.

Ang problem kasi sa PBA eh 10 lang yung teams nila kaya marami na players na hinde nakukuha sa draft.

Kung makuha naman sila sa draft eh hinde din magkakaroon ng madami na playing time.

Kawawa naman si James Sena ng JRU magaling pa naman na player sa NCAA pero baka mabangko din sa SMB kagaya ng nangyari kay Ken Bono.
  • pulangpula wrote: »

draft rights from 2 years to 6 years? lower payscale for those who signed after their draft class or played in other leagues?

its the players who the fans watch during the games and not the team officials so if there's a group that needs protecting its the players.

bear in mind, its not only the team that is investing here but the players as well, professional sports is a two way street. the way you argued its as if players are just like steers being auctioned at a meat market.

players have rights too.

The players are actually well-protected--- this is assuming you are true to your commitment. But if not, then why does the league care about you since you are half-hearted?
  • pulangpula wrote: »
    IMHO there's nothing wrong with the current guidelines. it just so happened that guiao, lito alvarez and sonny barrios are a bunch of primadonnas and sore losers.

It's called nipping it in the bud. Sure, this might be a rare case but the league would not want it to happen again.
  • KG21KG21 Twolves 4ever PExer
    dapat walang maximum contract...depende sa player dapat, kasi kung maxmimum kana, parang wala ka ng masyadong motivation na tumaas pa ang sahod mo, pero dapat di rin lalagapas ang team mo sa salary cap!
  • MeFan_YouJaneMeFan_YouJane WhoYou? ✭✭✭
    Di kaya dapat gawing transparent din yung perks ng players, to make sure na lahat ng team within the salary cap. May salary cap nga, kaso teams are known to circumvent said cap, kaya in the end, lamang pa rin talaga yung mayayaman na teams.
  • KG21KG21 Twolves 4ever PExer
    @^

Kahit naman sa NBA, yung mga team owners na handang gumastos, dun madaming magagaling na players!
    The players are actually well-protected--- this is assuming you are true to your commitment. But if not, then why does the league care about you since you are half-hearted?

so in your book a drafted player doesn't have a choice no matter what. for all intents and purposes he is just a pawn.

true to your commitment? half-hearted? according to who? potential employees have a choice, and at the end of the day no one can force an employee to sign. that is a basic employee right - just ask the department of labor.

the way you put forward your thoughts its as if its a crime to look out for one's self and best interests these days.

you mean to say if i'm a recently drafted player and i get drafted by barako bull i just simply have to bear it and grin it? what if i have other options available to me - including none basketball related? you mean to say i have no right but to sign a contract with a cash strapped company that may very well be unable to pay my salaries on time and disregard my other options?

let's take it a little further, what if i was promised by a pba team that they will pick me come their turn, what happens then if they passed on me? are there sanctions in place for that?

so tell me just how are the players well protected under the scheme that you put forward when everything you mentioned bears the hallmark of an onerous contract?

again, i reiterate my stand. there is nothing wrong with the existing rules, rather there is something wrong with the pba personalities involved in the latest drama story to involve the league.
    KG21 wrote: »
    dapat walang maximum contract...depende sa player dapat, kasi kung maxmimum kana, parang wala ka ng masyadong motivation na tumaas pa ang sahod mo, pero dapat di rin lalagapas ang team mo sa salary cap!

bonuses can take care of that, just like any other company when certain employees hit the max of their payscale and yet cannot still be promoted to the next level.

besides, its not the maximum contract per se which is the real issue but the apparent "subjectivity" of who gets a max contract and who doesn't. in other words, getting a max pay in the pba these days is like a two for twenty five centavo deal.

before it used to be the established stars, a perennial mvp, a former rookie of the year, etc., who get the highest pay but these days max pay is all about potential, so even players who haven't won a championship or have meager stats get rewarded with a max contract. before the pay was almost as equal as the glory the player has attained for his team and himself, but these days its simply all about the hype and the money.
  • TheClockWorks7TheClockWorks7 Banned by Admin PExer
    pulangpula wrote: »

players have rights too.

sabi nga ni francis arnaiz we are but por kilo in this league
  • so in your book a drafted player doesn't have a choice no matter what. for all intents and purposes he is just a pawn

In a way, yes.

The purpose of the draft is to put a semblance of balance to teams. If you have players demanding trades left and right, what happens to teams like Barako Bull?
  • versa17versa17 Member ✭✭✭
    Ako gusto maayos yung SALARY CAP ng Teams

sana kung injured yung player kasama pa din sa Salary Cap para wala na dami superstar sa team kagaya ng SMB.

dapat din well publicize yung mga salary ng players para kahit mga fans malaman kung lagpas na o tama lang sa salary cap ang isang team.

dapat kung magkakaroon man ng trades katumbas o konti lang deperensya sa ipapalit na player.

sana magkatotoo ito.hehehe

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file