The Best University Chapel

ArchimedesArchimedes PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
Which College do you think has the
best university chapel?

Note: Pls. no need for comments saying the
people who pray in the chapel that
is more important.

Comments

• The De La Salle University Main Chapel.

Hallowed Ground for all Lasallians since it was in this Main Chapel in February 1945 that SIXTEEN (16) De La Salle Christian Brothers and some civilians were killed by the crazed retreating Japanese soldiers during the Liberation of Manila.

Magnificent & Elegant.
  • the ateneo college chapel! biased ba? it's real simple and yes, elegant...
    the university church is rumored to be magnificent, but since they haven't even started the groundbreaking yet, i'll hold my comments!
  • Originally posted by brasil_8
    the ateneo college chapel! biased ba? it's real simple and yes, elegant...
    the university church is rumored to be magnificent, but since they haven't even started the groundbreaking yet, i'll hold my comments!

Any idea when they'll start on it?
  • Pati ba simbahan ng Diyos nagpapagandahan pa? (or would you like to rationalize the "best university theme" with "appreciation of religious architecture"?)
  • fordham university's University Church. the best church among all jesuit schools :D I think Ateneo's new University Church is going to copy some of the stuff from Fordham's.
  • ArchimedesArchimedes PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Originally posted by pyket
    Pati ba simbahan ng Diyos nagpapagandahan pa? (or would you like to rationalize the "best university theme" with "appreciation of religious architecture"?)

wala ka sigurong university church no
    (o bad words pls.)

• sabi ko na nga ba... tsk, tsk, tsk.

you shame the intelligence of whom you borrow your handle from...
  • Unfortunately, UP does not have a chapel but a Parish Church!
  • La Salle Chapel
    Angelo King Chapel
  • Originally posted by joseanthony22
    The De La Salle University Main Chapel.

Hallowed Ground for all Lasallians since it was in this Main Chapel in February 1945 that SIXTEEN (16) De La Salle Christian Brothers and some civilians were killed by the crazed retreating Japanese soldiers during the Liberation of Manila.

Magnificent & Elegant.

In the Philippines, I agree the BEST & MOST ELEGANT university chapel is the De La Salle University Main Chapel on Taft Avenue, Manila.

This magnificent classically-designed Main Chapel which President Manuel L. Quezon & the then Archbishop of Manila inaugurated in the 1930s was one of the very few structures that survived the destruction of South Manila during the 1945 Liberation of Manila.

Now it still stands in all its grandeur in the service of all Lasallians.
  • (or would you like to rationalize the "best university theme" with "appreciation of religious architecture"?)[/b] [/QUOTE]

well since you put it that way...;o)

For the historical ones, Id have to say the following:

1. DLSU Main building chapel- stunning piece of Art-
    Deco architecture designed by that famous Filipino
    architect Tomas Mapua. Its now restored to its Pre-War
    glory. With its gilt,bright, airy and air-conditioned
    expanse, its the perfect place to commune with God.
    Beneath all that beauty however, is a bloody and
    gruesome past, 16 priests and 30 civilians were
    massacred there during the Liberation of 1945.

2. San Beda College chapel- another of Manila's hiddent
    treasures. The abbey(as it is called) is designed in
    neo-gothic style with stunning paintings on the
    ceilings, angel-light holders, and 2 beautiful
    gardens on both sides of the chapel. Its even more
    stunning today as the structure has been restored for
    the schools centennial anniversary.

3. St. Scholastica chapel- another Art-deco masterpiece
    w/c unfortunately, would be better if it was given a
    cleaning.

• cretinous00cretinous00 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    i'm from up but the best university church (not sure whether it's a chapel or a parish) in my opinion is the san sebastian church. notice the supporting structures? they're made of tubular steel, cast in europe during the 19th century. beautiful, guaranteed earthquake-proof. i dare say no other philippine religious structure has dared to break the traditional confines as had the ss church (with the possible exception of the up "flying saucer" designed by l. locsin who's a thomasian).
  • Originally posted by cretinous00
    i'm from up but the best university church (not sure whether it's a chapel or a parish) in my opinion is the san sebastian church. notice the supporting structures? they're made of tubular steel, cast in europe during the 19th century. beautiful, guaranteed earthquake-proof. i dare say no other philippine religious structure has dared to break the traditional confines as had the ss church (with the possible exception of the up "flying saucer" designed by l. locsin who's a thomasian).

cretinous00,

If Im not mistaken, San Sebastian has a dual purpose. First as parish church and second, as a college church(or whatever they call it).

Whatever its functions, I totally agree with you said 101%! One of the loveliest churches in M. Manila. The steel used to build the church was actually shipped from Belgium piece by piece and assembled in Quiapo. The stained glass window are just stunning, especially if the sunlight filters through it!
  • anybody who has seen the chapel at St. Benedict College at Alabang Hills???
  • Without a doubt, the very elegant De La Salle University Main Chapel on Taft Avenue, Manila.

Historic (survived the 1945 Carnage of the Liberation of Manila), Elegant & Stunning.

One of the few original Historic Jewels left in Metro Manila.
  • 1. De La Salle University Manila Main Chapel
    2. San Beda College
    3. UP Diliman
  • Aircon, the altar is gold. Whenever you hear mass it's very solemn because of the atmosphere. Opus dei kasi eh. Pero the CON thing about it is... capacity is less than 100
  • Originally posted by Mark Renton96
    Aircon, the altar is gold. Whenever you hear mass it's very solemn because of the atmosphere. Opus dei kasi eh. Pero the CON thing about it is... capacity is less than 100

In the Philippines, the BEST University Chapel is definitely the very elegant & historic pre-war built De La Salle University Manila MAIN CHAPEL in the Taft Campus.

Capacitywise it can accommodate about 500 seated people.

Good thing this Manila treasure survived the near total destruction of southern Manila in 1945. The retreating Japanese soldiers tried to burn it in February 1945 after killing sixteen De La Salle Christian Brothers plus some very prominent civilians then seeking refuge in its massive walls but GOD willed it to survive to this day. Now it is designated by the Manila Historical Institute as a Manila Historical Landmark.

• How about Santisimo Rosario Church of UST?