PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at pex-info@pinoyexchange.com. Thank you!

The Law School Advice Thread

i'm an incoming senior... and planning to go to UP Law School... could someone tell me things i can do to prepare for law school... other information related will also be appreciated ;)

Comments

• forget all your biases.

good luck.
  • WICKEDQUEENWICKEDQUEEN Sooooobrang Tagal ng Member PExer
    lemme share what mama told me:

-brush up on logic and reasoning (when she says "brush up", she actually means "to master")
    -brace yourself for more MEMORIZATION, especially on latin principles and laws
    -prepare to explain MORE PRECISE AND CONCISE
    -prepare to read high stacks of 5-inch-thick books, especially on previous cases
    -get hold of a copy on "Rules of the Court". i have a copy written by Jose Nolledo and it actually helps.
  • quiksilver81quiksilver81 Member PExer
    i'm also a senior in college and taking-up a business administration major in computer application. im thinking of going to a law school after i graduated, but i just can't make-up my mind. coz im afraid that i might not finish it after all. Just want to ask, how many years would it take me to become a lawyer? ummm..
  • PUGSLEYPUGSLEY Banned by Admin PExer
    Law school is a 4-year course.
  • Lek-LekLek-Lek Kent Ridge PExer
    Well, before, I wanted to take up Law, that's why I enrolled in Ateneo's Legal Management program. I wanted to be a corporate lawyer so I thought that getting into a Management course with a business law curriculum would help a lot in preparing me for the Ateneo School of Law. Indeed, just as I expected, it actually made me more familiar with legal lingos and terms and how to read and study for a Law subject. But now, I've actually changed my mind. I plan to pursue a different career path for one reason: I realized that a plain technical preparation for Law studies is just not enough. Indeed, as what Fr. Joaquin Bernas have said: forget about all those said-to-be pre-law courses. Much technical preparation is not what is needed, rather, it is the passion for reading and understanding that helps one to survive the rigors of becoming a lawyer. According to him, an individual with an ambition to become a lawyer must learn to appreciate philosophy and literature. So, read...read...and read....
  • PUGSLEYPUGSLEY Banned by Admin PExer
    Originally posted by Lek-Lek
    Well, before, I wanted to take up Law, that's why I enrolled in Ateneo's Legal Management program. I wanted to be a corporate lawyer so I thought that getting into a Management course with a business law curriculum would help a lot in preparing me for the Ateneo School of Law. Indeed, just as I expected, it actually made me more familiar with legal lingos and terms and how to read and study for a Law subject. But now, I've actually changed my mind. I plan to pursue a different career path for one reason: I realized that a plain technical preparation for Law studies is just not enough. Indeed, as what Fr. Joaquin Bernas have said: forget about all those said-to-be pre-law courses. Much technical preparation is not what is needed, rather, it is the passion for reading and understanding that helps one to survive the rigors of becoming a lawyer. According to him, an individual with an ambition to become a lawyer must learn to appreciate philosophy and literature. So, read...read...and read....

Exactly!!! :D

Don't forget he also said in his Manila Standard article "Don't even underestimate Harry Potter." :lol:
  • nicomachusnicomachus Member PExer
    I think that the statement of Fr. Bernas isn't exactly fair, because Legal Management is actually an excellent preparation for actual study of the law. It has Management subjects like Accounting and Finance which will help graduates understand certain concepts in Oblicon, Tax, Persons a lot better. Of course, there is the familiarity with the basic business laws. But the most important thing is that LM develops a certain work ethic among its graduates. Proof of this is the fact that among my LM batchmates, only 2 were kicked out for academic deficiency.

Also, if you're taking your undergrad in the Ateneo, you should have little concern about having a background in the humanities. With 15 units of English, 9 units of Filipino, 12 units of Philosophy, 12 units of Theology, 12 units of Social Sciences, you can hardly be considered less than "cultured".

Lastly, the comment of Fr. Bernas originated from a letter a certain American justice wrote in reply to an 8 year old who asked him what he should do to prepare himself for law school. So I think the situation doesn't exactly apply to us older people.

Still, my answer to the question of this forum is not "TAKE Legal Management to prepare yourself for law school!!" My advice is to know what you're getting into. Ask yourself, "Why do I want to be a lawyer?"

If your response is, "Because I can't get a job!" or "Because my father expects me to be one!" or "Because being an Attorney is way cool!" then you will find that even an undergrad in LM will not help you with the rigors of law school.

But if your response is something legitimate, such as, but not limited to, "To use the law as a tool for social change and to help the world one case at a time!" AND YOU ARE WILLING TO WORK TOWARDS THIS END, then you might do better than your classmates with LM undergrads.

[Edited by nicomachus on 05-06-2001 at 08:04 PM]
  • eponine07eponine07 legal beagle PExer
    some tips from a tired incoming senior law student...

1)brush up on your english skills (written and oral).
    2)learn to love reading.
    3)develop self-confidence. law school profs can really get downright bitchy.
    4)prepare your wallet for the expenses (photocopying, books, reviewers, etc).
    5)most important: make sure that you're going to law school because you want to be a lawyer, not because people around you want you to be a lawyer.
    Originally posted by WICKEDQUEEN
    lemme share what mama told me:

-brush up on logic and reasoning (when she says "brush up", she actually means "to master")
    -brace yourself for more MEMORIZATION, especially on latin principles and laws
    -prepare to explain MORE PRECISE AND CONCISE
    -prepare to read high stacks of 5-inch-thick books, especially on previous cases
    -get hold of a copy on "Rules of the Court". i have a copy written by Jose Nolledo and it actually helps.

i couldn't agree more.

:crazy:

aside from the rules of court, it would also help if you had a copy of the civil code of the philippines and a copy of the revised penal code. oh, yes, and while you're at it, start memorizing the contents of these books. hehehe. kidding. :)
  • huminhumin Member PExer
    when do they give the qualifying exams and the results? kase i'll be graduating by 2nd week of june pa pero ung classes eh mag-eend na by april. (ewan ko ba kung ba't june pa ung ceremonies)
    oh well, i just want to know if it is still possible for me to go to law school by june kahit june din ung graduation. is it true that we still have to take at least 12 units of Spanish?
    thanks!
    I'm not sure, but I think San Beda is still administering its entrance exams. Ateneo and UP are about to come out with the results of applicants. In fact, lumabas na sa Ateneo. Baka UST, MLQU, FEU are still accepting students. Ask those schools about their requirements. Good luck!
  • huminhumin Member PExer
    Originally posted by nicomachus
    I'm not sure, but I think San Beda is still administering its entrance exams. Ateneo and UP are about to come out with the results of applicants. In fact, lumabas na sa Ateneo. Baka UST, MLQU, FEU are still accepting students. Ask those schools about their requirements. Good luck!

thanks for the info nicomachus!
  • aldoguccialdogucci Member PExer
    Why would you want to go to law school? What value to lawyers add to society? Lawyers just add to the bureaucracy. Why don't you do something more productive, like teaching, medicine, engineering, etc. where you are either helping people or building and creating new products? Even business is better than the law...you add value to the economy, provide employment to people, etc. The only place in law where you can add any value to society is if you represent the less fortunate.

I urge you to think twice about your career decision...the Philippines has enough lawyers.
    I agree some of what aldogucci posted:

Why would you want to go to law school?

to become a lawyer

What value to lawyers add to society?

people who don't know the law are easily oppressed. for instance, employees bargain away their right to minimum wage, overtime pay, etc, because of the harsh economic conditions. sometimes, they are also dismissed arbitrarily. lawyers champion their rights and stand up for the oppressed.

Lawyers just add to the bureaucracy.

Yes, this is true. Imagine, Sec. 12, 14, and 17 of Art. 3 of the Constitution gives rights to the accused in criminal proceedings, such as the right to be informed of their right to remain silent, and to counsel. The constitution says that evidence obtained in violation of this is non-admissible. And lawyers are the ones who argue that evidence to be used against murderers be rendered inadmissible.

This might be seen as an unjust procedural law, but imagine if an innocent person were placed in the situation. Also, imagine the chaos that would ensue if there were no lawyers to stop the wanton exercise of the duty of law enforcers. There are rules, and there are reasons why those rules exist. If you wish to consider it bureaucracy, so be it.

Why don't you do something more productive, like teaching, medicine, engineering, etc. where you are either helping people or building and creating new products?

because, some people have a calling to the legal profession!

Even business is better than the law...you add value to the economy, provide employment to people, etc.

yes, if you go into business, you will need the services of a lawyer. if your business gets assessed by the BIR even if you have experienced losses since you incorporated, you need a person who is knowledgeable in the law, who is qualified to represent you in court.

The only place in law where you can add any value to society is if you represent the less fortunate.

of course not! As much as we need lawyers to help the less fortunate, we also need ethical practitioners in all the fields of law, such as securities, taxation, corporate law, and civil law!

I urge you to think twice about your career decision...the Philippines has enough lawyers.

Yes, think twice about your career decision. if you wish to become a lawyer because you think it will bring you power, prestige, wealth and glory, then you are in the wrong profession. Lawyers are called upon to be officers of the court and administrators of justice. The Philippines definitely thirsts more for justice, than for material wealth. Filipinos willingly endure hunger, thirst, being unshod, but when Flor Contemplacion was to be beheaded in Singapore, we raised hell precisely because we felt that there was an injustice about to be committed.
  • ShaftShaft Member PExer
    nicomachus, I think I know you... but I might be wrong though
  • jammetjammet Member PExer
    could anyone pls tell me the dates of entrance exams to the different law schools in the country? UP, Ateneo, San Beda, UST and others? thanks.. its for the SY 2002-2003!
    Originally posted by humin
    when do they give the qualifying exams and the results? kase i'll be graduating by 2nd week of june pa pero ung classes eh mag-eend na by april. (ewan ko ba kung ba't june pa ung ceremonies)
    oh well, i just want to know if it is still possible for me to go to law school by june kahit june din ung graduation. is it true that we still have to take at least 12 units of Spanish?
    thanks!

i think that in some law schools kelangan mag-present ka ng diploma or at least certification from your school na you already graduated. sa u.p. law required yun. saka you have to present your transcript of records, eh diba nakukuha lang yun pag naka-graduate na?

spanish is not a requirement. ako nga i took up french as a language elective (12 units of it). you can take any course as pre-law (kahit engineering or science), but you have to have at least 18 units of english, 18 units of social sciences, and 6 units of math. i have friends from law school who are doctors, nurses, ECEs, biology graduates, and even a math major.

:bubbles:
  • WICKEDQUEENWICKEDQUEEN Sooooobrang Tagal ng Member PExer
    brrrraavvooo, nichomacus, bravo. :bungi:
  • ShaftShaft Member PExer
    to arima_keichi and others planning to go to law school:

I have a question for you guys. Is going to law school something you've always wanted to do (even before entering college or during your early college years) or is it a recent development (perhaps because of the impeachment trial)? I'm just curious... :)
  • tina11tina11 Member PExer
    Originally posted by eponine07
    spanish is not a requirement. ako nga i took up french as a language elective (12 units of it). you can take any course as pre-law (kahit engineering or science), but you have to have at least 18 units of english, 18 units of social sciences, and 6 units of math. i have friends from law school who are doctors, nurses, ECEs, biology graduates, and even a math major.

:bubbles:

i don't have 18 units of english... i only have 12. what do i have to do then?

*paw*

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file