Home PEx Campus San Beda College

financial management...

hello po... incoming 1st yr po ang sister q sa beda - financial management... hmmm maganda po ba ang financial management sa beda? ano po *** pwdeng job opportunities for financial management graduates? *** cfa board exam kailangan ba sa ibang bansa pa magtake? la ba sa philippines?

thank you po sa maka2sgot :) nata2kot po kasi ** dhil mostly daw ng naout sa accountancy eh pumunta sa financial management.

Comments

• pre-law course ba ang financial management?
  • okay na okay po....well to tell you the truth your sister can't afford to take it light on this course..especially now bago na ang curriculum..it's very challenging but the rewards are great..i have this friend he is training now at london to be a stock analyst at JP Morgan..for me i have decided that I will take up my MB outside the country...its up to your sissy kung ano gusto niya gawin..this financial management is her gateway for success...
  • xyrwynxyrwyn PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Patterned ba ang Curriculum ng Financial Management ng Beda sa CFA o baka Banking ang Finance lang din ?
  • Financial Management is a relatively new course in San Beda and has been existing for i think 5 or 6 years. So far, there are still a lot of things to be imrpoved. However, its not a walk in the park course because finance is a huge field and it covers a lot of disciplines. There are so many opportunities as a finance graduate and it ranges from banking to pharmaceutical to manufacturing and so on. Basically, a finance guy is needed in every industry because as we all know, money is like the gas of economy and every industry revolves around the economy. I am a finance graduate and i am currently working as a Business Process Management associate. And it does not stop there. StanChart, Citibank, Planters Development Bank, GSK, and Maersk called me up for an interview and they all want me to try their company. Its not like im boasting myself. I'm just pointing out that there are a lot of opportunities out there for a finance graduate. It's up to you how you build your own path and it's a matter of choosing what you like.
  • Financial Management is a relatively new course in San Beda and has been existing for i think 5 or 6 years. So far, there are still a lot of things to be imrpoved. However, its not a walk in the park course because finance is a huge field and it covers a lot of disciplines. There are so many opportunities as a finance graduate and it ranges from banking to pharmaceutical to manufacturing and so on. Basically, a finance guy is needed in every industry because as we all know, money is like the gas of economy and every industry revolves around the economy. I am a finance graduate and i am currently working as a Business Process Management associate. And it does not stop there. StanChart, Citibank, Planters Development Bank, GSK, and Maersk called me up for an interview and they all want me to try their company. Its not like im boasting myself. I'm just pointing out that there are a lot of opportunities out there for a finance graduate. It's up to you how you build your own path and it's a matter of choosing what you like.

Can i ask a question? Where did you finish your finance course?
  • borge543 wrote: »
    Can i ask a question? Where did you finish your finance course?

I graduated from San Beda College.
  • soquick69 wrote: »
    pre-law course ba ang financial management?

Yes. It is a pre-law course.
  • cfa board exam kailangan ba sa ibang bansa pa magtake? la ba sa philippines?

dhil mostly daw ng naout sa accountancy eh pumunta sa financial management.[/QUOTE]

With all due respect to those who are in the field of accountancy, but accounting is just a subset of finance. Although i don't deny that the financial management program of SBC is still a work in progress. The CFA licensure exam is also held in the Philippines and i think it is held twice a year.
  • Good evening. I am a graduate of San Beda College and I took up Financial Management. The course is still a work in progress, but the training that the course gives is incredibly good. Especially the variant of STRAMA for FINMA, which is the Investment Research Analysis. It only took me weeks to land a job after I graduated.

CFA is just an optional route to take for any finance graduate. Since the course trains students in various aspects of finance, the possibilities are almost endless.
  • yung mga accountancy student na di na nagtuloy sa finma lumilipat dahil marami ang naccredit na subjs since mejo related talaga sila. sabi saken mahirap din daw ang finma and very strict din ang beda dito just like sa accountancy. i think they also have a maintaining grade
  • yup, may maintaining din sa finma.

is it okay if I PM you?
  • bluetheherobluethehero PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    The financial management program per se is underrated. San Beda does not give its due attention to the program. Moreover, while the current Department Chair introduced some serious changes in making the academic experience in the program tough and challenging, the school IMHO still needs to give much more support and facelift on the program. For instance, the pitch of the program is that the undergraduate major subject will equip students for the CFA Examinations. However, the teachers per se are not even practitioners, and only a handful of the faculty are candidates in the CFA Program. There's not support and mileage extended to academic activities such as the FINEX competition. The faculty does not have enough funding to hire part-time investment bankers, portfolio managers, equity researchers, traders and CFOs. Of course having all of these kinds of practitioners would be difficult and costly, but if only the school will "properly manage its resources allocation" for this endeavor, then perhaps our students will be competitive.

Also, I think collectively, the school, department, faculty, and students should create a "competitive and disciplined atmosphere" in the FinMa Program. Certain academic policies do not have teeth, a significant number of students are being admitted to FinMa even if they are not qualified from the beginning or if they failed to meet the retention requirements. It's as if the program is just a "college passthrough" course. If San Beda was able to create impose this kind of atmosphere in Accounting and Law, then why not in FinMa? If San Beda can exhaust much of its energies to support San Beda Red Lions, then why not extend at least 10% of such energy to support FinMa?

The students, in fact, seem to be unaware of how serious the CFA Program is.

Another silly fact about the program is that San Beda keeps on accommodating teachers with Masters Degrees, when in fact, the faculty composition should be selected based on industry experience, as finance is best appreciated by students from someone with an intensive professional experience. Can you expect a master's degree holder to teach investment banking and valuation if he has not done any? Can you expect someone to credibly teach about the stock market if he hasn't traded a large fund or proprietary account?

However, I think the current program chair revised the curriculum and included most of the covered areas in the CFA Program without compromising subject topics in other fields such as banking and insurance. This will still be subject to tests, so it's hard to judge.

But from what I heard from the grapevine, the current chair has done such a great job in introducing changes in the Department.
  • Taga SBC din ako, kaso may sinasabi sa amin ang professor/ department chair na sabi ng CHED ang financial management daw na inooffer sa Philippines ay di daw matuturing na course. kaya daw may plano raw ang CHED na tanggalin or basta i abolish ang course na to... Hindi sa sinisiraan ko ah, pero ganun talaga ang sinabi ng professor ko... Mas maganda pa daw itake ang marketing at entrep... sa finma daw kasi parang walang direction specialization mo..
  • 21guns wrote: »
    Taga SBC din ako, kaso may sinasabi sa amin ang professor/ department chair na sabi ng CHED ang financial management daw na inooffer sa Philippines ay di daw matuturing na course. kaya daw may plano raw ang CHED na tanggalin or basta i abolish ang course na to... Hindi sa sinisiraan ko ah, pero ganun talaga ang sinabi ng professor ko... Mas maganda pa daw itake ang marketing at entrep... sa finma daw kasi parang walang direction specialization mo..

I think your professors are clueless of what's really happening. :lol:

Are they even experts in the field of finance to tell such thing?? And what's the thing about CHED?? Statements like that should be backed up by facts. A simple quote from an article or maybe a quote coming from a CHED representative would do.

Top Universities take this thing seriously.

bluethehero has a very good point.

I hope SBC would develop more so that they could produce competent graduates and not the likes of those who just cling to the school's name and their prominent alumni.

No offense meant to SBC.
    21guns wrote: »
    Taga SBC din ako, kaso may sinasabi sa amin ang professor/ department chair na sabi ng CHED ang financial management daw na inooffer sa Philippines ay di daw matuturing na course. kaya daw may plano raw ang CHED na tanggalin or basta i abolish ang course na to... Hindi sa sinisiraan ko ah, pero ganun talaga ang sinabi ng professor ko... Mas maganda pa daw itake ang marketing at entrep... sa finma daw kasi parang walang direction specialization mo..

Kindly tell your professor that his remarks are baseless and stupid. Thanks.
  • how is it like to be an irregular student in san beda, coz i'm a transferee this comming school year. please help
  • tupangusatupangusa PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Another silly fact about the program is that San Beda keeps on accommodating teachers with Masters Degrees, when in fact, the faculty composition should be selected based on industry experience, as finance is best appreciated by students from someone with an intensive professional experience. Can you expect a master's degree holder to teach investment banking and valuation if he has not done any? Can you expect someone to credibly teach about the stock market if he hasn't traded a large fund or proprietary account?

but before you go to a graduate school for mba..an applicant must have professional experience as an admission requirement...so it is safe to say that these so called mba degree holder who is teaching in sbc are experienced in their respective profession/industry.
    tupangusa wrote: »
    but before you go to a graduate school for mba..an applicant must have professional experience as an admission requirement...so it is safe to say that these so called mba degree holder who is teaching in sbc are experienced in their respective profession/industry.

of course by mere technicality, you are correct. but what i'm saying is that if you want an intense Corporate Finance subject, you should hire a middle manager who is an investment banker or someone who reports directly to the CFO of a company, and if you want a focused Portfolio Management subject, it is ideal for a faculty to hire a Portfolio Manager. not someone who had two years of entry-level work prior to getting an MBA and eventually ending up teaching.

i'm not undermining full-time academicians. i'm just saying that for the advanced subjects, they should be taught by part-time professionals. finance is a continuously evolving subject. how can a full-time faculty teach and educate the students about the subprime and PIIGS crisis if they have not experienced it themselves while working?

just my two cents.