Home PEx Lifestyle Food and Drinks
Reminder: You never know what someone is going through, so be kind.

Raj

Has anyone tried Raj in Malate? They serve indian cuisine. I found the ambiance great...as in they have low chairs and tables and stuff. I had trouble deciding what to order, though, puro indian words kasi yung nasa menu. I liked the Naan (?) (the bread), with all sorts of chatni (parang "chutney"). Yung deserts medyo I didn't like it and sobrang liit nung portions ng deserts.

Comments

• BadGiRLBadGiRL PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Exactly where in Malate is Raj? :)
  • IraIra PEx Rookie ⭐
    It's in a two-storey house off Maria Orosa Street.

The food's okay (I had the fish molee), very cosy and nice-looking interiors, but the price is a little steep for the servings.
  • Originally posted by Ira
    The food's okay (I had the fish molee), very cosy and nice-looking interiors, but the price is a little steep for the servings.
    Yup.... liit ng servings! Their ice cream looks like a small slice of block tofu.
  • :up: I had the grilled shrimp dish and it was so good! I agree with Ira, though, the prices were steep for the serving size.

Mister Dean had the Indian ice cream. Needless to say, it had an interesting taste. Very minty and herby, for lack of a better word. It was so mushy, it didn't feel like ice cream...

• WiccaWicca PExer
    Its best to make reservations before going there. You can call 525-4858. Kasi normally when the place is full, they won't let you wait for a seat.
  • green gringreen grin PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    what dish would you recommend? i have a bet going, and i'm suppose to eat Indian cuisine if i lose.
  • IraIra PEx Rookie ⭐
    Try the lamb or chicken tandoori, prepared extra spicy. I'm sure you'll like it. :up:
  • Oh I LOOOOOOVE Indian food! :yum:

I was treated to a nice Navajo dinner in a reservation near Tucson, Arizona, of grizzly bear paws and raccoon tails sauteed in cactus juice. Doc Ira, what tribe prepares lamb or chicken tandoori?
  • IraIra PEx Rookie ⭐
    I'm speechless. :confused3: Your question is quite thought-provoking. Navajo Indian food in Arizona, you say?

Um, it's either the Chicken Ranch Rancheria of Me-Wuk Indians of California, the Chickaloon Native Village of Alaska, or the Tonto Apache Tribe of Arizona. :ahh: The Kaibab Band of Pauite Indians in Arizona may have created the kebabs--but that's another topic altogether.
  • Is it just me or has there just been a cross-cultural catastrophe about. The topic is about Raj and Indian food right? Indian as in from the Indian subcontinent and not American Cherookee, Mohawk Indians and what have you?

Anyway Indian food to die for, try Beef/Chicken/Mutton Masala (similar to caldereta), Biryani (much like our Arroz Valenciana), Poutty (tripes with curry and other spices), Vegetable Curry with Parata or Chapati (parata and chapati are also breakfast staples). Indians are very particular about their food. They want if freshly cooked and piping hot. Once I went to an Indian restaurant here in the Middle East and they didn't serve me because according to them they follow a strict schedule of opening the cooking pots because they want to preserve the aroma and flavor of the food. True enough when the designated time came people came swarming in as if on cue and overcrowded the restaurant.

I tried the tandoori at Raj and it was good but the Afghans make better. I'm not sure if tandoori is of Indian origin. Here it's claimed either by the Afghans, Pakistanis or those from Turkey much like the ubiquitous shawarma is fought over by the Egyptians, Lebanese and Turkish. The secret ingredient of tandoori by the way is yoghurt or laban (sour milk with liquid consistency).
  • IraIra PEx Rookie ⭐
    Originally posted by simonesez
    Is it just me or has there just been a cross-cultural catastrophe about. The topic is about Raj and Indian food right? Indian as in from the Indian subcontinent and not American Cherookee, Mohawk Indians and what have you?

:lol::lol::lol:

I was trying my best to be diplomatic, but simonesez just called a spade a spade. :D Yes, simonesez, this topic is about food originating from the Indian subcontinent. Maybe CaliMaki can explain his or her reply better. :)
    hi there!
    double post. i just wanted to say thanks to ira and simonesez for the indian food tips. and thanks to calimaki for the informative post on that native american gastronomic delight.
  • Originally posted by Ira

:lol::lol::lol:

I was trying my best to be diplomatic, but simonesez just called a spade a spade. :D Yes, simonesez, this topic is about food originating from the Indian subcontinent. Maybe CaliMaki can explain his or her reply better. :)

So that's what it was.:D:rotfl:
  • Originally posted by green grin
    double post. i just wanted to say thanks to ira and simonesez for the indian food tips. and thanks to calimaki for the informative post on that native american gastronomic delight.

I'll try not to laugh:bungi:
  • Oh, so sorry. I'm such a butthead.

You see I've been taking anti-depressant drugs since I broke off with my boyfriend some months ago and can't focus well since. I'm new here at PinoyExchange and am trying to make new friends (my ex was part of my school barkada). So far I've made such ditzy remarks so I haven't made too many. There is this one guy, though, IndianCurry, who was nice to me. I thought he'd be here in this Indian thread.

Again I'm sorry, Doc Ira, Simonesez, and Green Grin. I don't know how to delete my post - it's so embarrassing.
  • Hiya, CaliMaki! I'm here! :wave: Nice to see you here in this board too. I read in the other BB we hang out in that your boyfriend was violent to you? I hope you've recovered from your concussion--wait, was it 4 months ago? Don't worry, from what I see, the people here are nice naman. I'm sure they don't mind your ditzy remark, it was an honest mistake. :D

Hell yeah, I love Indian food too! Indian food from the subcontinent, I mean. Pretty obvious with my nick ba? :up:
  • Hi, IndianCurry! :*) How are you? Where do I find you in this Board? Are you still playing in your band?

Oh, my ex? He's history. :angry:
  • Hey CaliMaki! :D Been in this board for a few weeks lurking, I like what I see, so I'll probably be around this board for quite a while--we'll bump into each other for sure. :) We've temporarily disbanded, school's started so that cuts a lot of time for rehearsals, and everyone got tired of playing gigs in places where the crowd pays more attention to the gro's than they do the performers. :hopeless:

Good to know you split up with your BF Chito! He's a jerk, that's what he is. I wanted to visit you in the hospital but I wasn't sure of my welcome. I mean, he shouldn't have smacked you in the head just because you refused to take care of his labrador for him. :mad: Those dogs are huge, man. They might kill you or sumtin'. You take care now, y'hear? Don't let him beat you up again! :)
  • Oh dear.

Off topic: I'm sorry CaliMaki didn't mean to poke fun on your posts just got a little carried away. It's appalling to know what happened to you. Hope you sue him or something, not that it's any of my business but he doesn't have a right under any circumstances to do that. Psst. If you decide to take some drastic countermeasures I know some guys. They'll do it for a song or a bowl of sinigang. Hell I'd do it myself for the fun of it (nasan ba yong may superhero complex dito nung naging complicated na super putla na). I sincerely hope the f*g gets his due. Again please accept my apologies.