Bakit ang mga Doctor laging late

rationalrational Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
Hello all. My first post in this subforum. I hope I'm not being offensive.

I just came from a consult and the doctor was late by an hour. Then, I realized that I was not surprised and also that I had never been to a doctor who was on time for their clinic hours. What makes it worse is that they are always late by A LOT! Not just 5 or 10 minutes.

Is it possible that ALL doctors are ALWAYS so busy that NONE can be on time?

Comments

• sydney_bennifersydney_bennifer Member PExer
    OO nga, pansin ko din yan lalo na nung napapadalas na ko sa pagconsult sa doctor.
    Madalas nga wala man lang kaplastikang apology na 'sorry to keep you waiting,sobrang natrapik ako blah blah blah..'
    Saka eto pa nakakainis, yung assistant or secretary,pag tinanong mo anong oras darating si doc, eh sasabihin na parating na daw, pero naku 1 oras ka na nagaantay wala pa din.

Sige na nga as much as we want to understand these doctors and their busy lives, siguro naman konting courtesy to your patients!
    If you can't be honest to the patients why you were late, at least try to apologize naman so the burden of waiting can be erase.
    Pansin ko kasi ngayon sa mga doctors wala ng compassion sa patient eh, madalas parang mas nagkakasakit pa ang pasyente sa kakaantay, mabuti sana lahat ng clinic or ospital, well ventilated o me magazine o tv na pwedeng mapaglibangan. Imbes na ang gastos ay consultation fee lang at gamot, minsan napapagastos pa kasi aabutin ng lunch time o meryenda time sa kakaantay.

Well, i guess, these sentiments will fall on deaf ears. Wala ata tayong matibay na batas about CODE OF ETHICS ng mga doctors. San ba tayo pwedeng magreklamo, sa DOH, DOJ, PAMET, XXX, IMBESTIGADOR whatever..
  • smilewarriorsmilewarrior Moderator PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Ah, but there are a lot of patients who are also often late. :)

Some patients come in several hours late. Some come in several days late (I'm not even kidding).

Before going to your doctor's clinic, it helps to call first and ask for an appointment. Even with an appointment, depending on how many patients your doctor has, you'll be asked to take a number and wait in line with the rest of the patients for your turn.

When it comes to treatment, some cases can be finished in a matter or minutes, some take several hours. It varies from case to case, depending on the degree of difficulty.
  • rationalrational Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Vicious circle, isn't it? From my viewpoint, many patients show up late because they know the doctors will show up late.

Many doctors go on a first-come, first-serve system now. So double whammy for the patient. You have to show up early so that you'll be first in line then wait till the doctor shows up.

BTW, I do not begrudge having to wait for the previous patient to get done. E kung talagang matagal yung kaso e ano pa magagawa? I'm talking about not even showing up on time for the declared clinic hours. For example, "CLINIC HOURS: 9:00-12:00". Wanna bet that the doctor shows up at 10 or 10:30?

Even worse if the clinic hours are like 11:00-2:00. Patay ka. Hindi mo man lang malaman kung puwede kang lumabas para kumain.
  • zero12zero12 Unbounded PExer
    Because doctors are like the superstars of the medical field, and superstars do what they want. :lol:

Seriously, there are tons of reasons. They overbook patients, sometimes other patients' appointments took longer than usual, there is an emergency, doctors often schedule patients to be there before they actually even arrive, and/or sometimes it could be a psychological test.
  • istarbaksistarbaks Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ang hindi ko lang nagustuhan na na-experience ko eh nung nag-set ng appointment yung doktor. since i am a punctual person, anytime, any place, punta naman ako sa clinic 5 minutes before the appointed time. yes, yung secretary/receptionist said na parating na yung doktor but guess what, 1hr late dumating yung doktor sa time na sya naman ang nag-set.
  • internistinternist Gastro/Liver Doctor PExer
    hindi naman po lahat ganyan. I admit I have been late a few times but I make it a point to be there on time most of the time as courtesy to my patients.

Wag naman po mag generalize.
    Some doctors do want to change this perception of us.

Most doctors are late not because we want to but because of other patients. Meaning, when we see a patient, we dont say "15 mins na po, next patient naman". We take our time to talk to the patient and examine him or her properly. Some patients and cases just take longer than usual.

Di lang talaga tama yung doctor or patient na nagpaschedule pero di dadating. Inform people if you cant make it or youre going to be late para maayos nila schedule din nila.
  • japsptjapspt Member PExer
    yung mga may doctor na may rounds/surgery sa umaga then consultation sa hapon, understandable na malate. pero yung mga doctor na ang consultation ay sa umaga at galing naman sa bahay, dun minsan nakakairita. we patients also have our schedules too, nagpaalam pa sa work para mag absent para maaccommodate ang sched nyo and may gagawin pa sa hapon then super late pala darating?

i think mas maganda pa rin ang scheduling kesa sa first come first serve basis
  • sinnerorsaintsinnerorsaint go ahead..make my day... PExer
    dapat ang sinasabit nila sa pinto "the doctor is late"
    internist wrote: »
    hindi naman po lahat ganyan. I admit I have been late a few times but I make it a point to be there on time most of the time as courtesy to my patients.

Wag naman po mag generalize.
    Some doctors do want to change this perception of us.

Most doctors are late not because we want to but because of other patients. Meaning, when we see a patient, we dont say "15 mins na po, next patient naman". We take our time to talk to the patient and examine him or her properly. Some patients and cases just take longer than usual.

Di lang talaga tama yung doctor or patient na nagpaschedule pero di dadating. Inform people if you cant make it or youre going to be late para maayos nila schedule din nila.

You're the exception then. Yes, there probably are doctors out there who strive to arrive on time. Pero, talaga, I have been wracking my memory. I really cannot recall ANY time that the doctor arrived on time. Even my own doctor brother and we come from a family that is very big on promptness.

I do hope your efforts are successful. As one of the other posters said, nothing much else we can do except complain anonymously in fora like these.

Can't imagine complaining directly to the doctor.
  • macncheezmacncheez Member PExer
    Yes, doctors can be THAT busy.

Napaka-ironic dahil sila ang boses para sa kalusugan, but they probably have one of the most hazardous of professions. Walang schedule ang pagkain, pahinga, exposed pa sa samut-saring sakit. Maswerte ang taong may trabaho na pagpatak ng alas singko, log-out na, tapos o hindi.

Everyone values time. That includes doctors. Of all professions, it's probably the docs who sacrifice most of their personal time for the job to the point that their personal life and family life already suffer.

Ang sakit ng pasyente wala ring pinipiling oras. If the doctor makes his rounds sa hospital then may consultation time sa clinics, pwedeng just before he or she leaves or on route na to be on time for clinic, biglang may emergency. Hindi pwedeng basta-basta iwanan yon.

Minsan naman paalis na ang doktor to go to his next clinic venue then at the last second may darating na pasyenteng nakaschedule for that day pero super late. Chain reaction na yan. Nakaka-frustrate din yan sa doktor.

Siguro kung pwede lang i-time lahat ng pasyente na tig-5 minutes lang para tapos lahat on time, gagawin yan para happy lahat, makakauwi pa siya sa pamilya niya in time for dinner. Pero ang needs ng bawat pasyente at sakit iba-iba.

Kaya siguro kung sa pasyente, pagpasensyahan mo na lang din kasi baka talaga namang maraming ginagawa. Kahit gaanong ka-strict ang scheduling ng konsulta, kahit ang doktor hindi makokontrol yan depende sa kailangang gawin sa araw na yon. Just try to be there on the appointed time and hope for the best.

Kung sa doktor naman, ipaabiso na lang sa sekretarya kung malalate, makakarating o hindi talaga makakasipot para konsiderasyon sa nag-aantay. Kung walang sekretarya, antayan blues na lang talaga. Bigayan na lang.
  • warfarin31warfarin31 Member PExer
    nasa filipino culture ang tardiness. in general, mga doctors iniisip nila importante sila kaya puede sila malate (this is acceptable practice sa pinas ang mga VIP are always late sa lahat ng function!). they don't consider their PAYING patients have personal schedule too to follow. naglagay pa ng clinic sked e dinaman nila sinusunod!
  • MeFan_YouJaneMeFan_YouJane WhoYou? PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Normal nga yata yan dito sa atin yan (though I know hindi naman lahat). May clinic hours na naka-post pero hindi naman sinusunod, and normal din yata yung at least 1hour late.

Pero exception to the rule yung Pedia ng mga anak ko. Yung "official" clinic hours niya is 10am - 2pm, pero she starts as early as 8-9am (doing her rounds as early as 7 am), and balita ko inaabot sila ng as late as 8-9 pm pag madami ang pasyente. Kaya nga saludo kami sa kanya eh, kasi you can feel na talagang concerned siya sa patients niya... *okay*
  • sydney_bennifersydney_bennifer Member PExer
    macncheez wrote: »
    Kaya siguro kung sa pasyente, pagpasensyahan mo na lang din kasi baka talaga namang maraming ginagawa.

Yes. Patients can understand. All they (doctors) have to do is apologize and no one gets to blame. A sincere 'sorry' can soften a very impatient,angry person instead being deadma at all.*okay*
    Yes. Patients can understand. All they (doctors) have to do is apologize and no one gets to blame. A sincere 'sorry' can soften a very impatient,angry person instead being deadma at all.*okay*

At saka, basta huwag lang ALL the time. If he's late once or twice we can believe that he really got stuck somewhere in an emergency or something. Pero, kung lagi na lang late e di palitan na lang yung clinic hours.

Sometimes, the receptionist just tells you things like "Nakaalis na po sa bahay, darating na yon." E di what emergency? I also know a lot of consultants and I know how much time they spend on the golf course.
    Pero exception to the rule yung Pedia ng mga anak ko. Yung "official" clinic hours niya is 10am - 2pm, pero she starts as early as 8-9am (doing her rounds as early as 7 am), and balita ko inaabot sila ng as late as 8-9 pm pag madami ang pasyente. Kaya nga saludo kami sa kanya eh, kasi you can feel na talagang concerned siya sa patients niya... *okay*

Sino ito? Diyan na lang kami! I hope our HMO has her.
    Yung "official" clinic hours niya is 10am - 2pm, pero she starts as early as 8-9am (doing her rounds as early as 7 am),

Yes, some doctors do this lalo na kung first-come, first-served ang konsulta. Alam din kasi nila na maraming pasyenteng maagang dumarating para mauna sa pila. Kaya kung may oras, why not? *okay*
    rational wrote: »
    I also know a lot of consultants and I know how much time they spend on the golf course.

Can't refute that some consultants are like that. They tend to delegate duties to their overworked subordinates and muck around in the golf course, much like bosses in the corporate world. :bop:

But that's the minority. Syempre as much as any other issue, mas madalas mapansin ng tao ang negative. There are doctors who do disregard official clinic hours, but many times they are really just busy. I've known one who, in fact, wanted to shift clinic hours because laging hindi nasusunod yung sked dahil sa workload niya, but since he's sharing the clinic with other doctors, hindi pa niya makuha yung timeslot na gusto niya.

Kung tutuusin, mahirap intindihin ang lifestyle or ang schedule ng mga doktor. Kahit sa mismo pamilya nila nagkakaron ng conflicts, hindi magkaintindihan, especially if he/she's involved in a toxic specialty. Siguro swerte na rin ako dahil mas marami akong na-encounter na matinong doktor kesa sa hindi, na kung late man sila, they at least grunt :p an apology before getting down to business. They don't have to state a reason why they were late. The 'sorry i'm late' is enough for me. :)

Regarding secretaries, mas marami akong na-encounter na dedma or rude sa mga nag-aantay na pasyente lalo kung wala pa ang doktor.
  • MeFan_YouJaneMeFan_YouJane WhoYou? PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    rational wrote: »
    Sino ito? Diyan na lang kami! I hope our HMO has her.

Dra. Dy-Chiao, Pedia-Pulmo sa St Luke's. Magaling siya and mabait (kahit yung secretary/receptionists niya, very accomodating), kaya kahit di siya connected with HMOs marami siyang pasyente (buti na lang sa amin, reimbursement basis :)). *okay*
  • bbncubbncu BayanAds.com PExer
    warfarin31 wrote: »
    nasa filipino culture ang tardiness. in general, mga doctors iniisip nila importante sila kaya puede sila malate (this is acceptable practice sa pinas ang mga VIP are always late sa lahat ng function!). they don't consider their PAYING patients have personal schedule too to follow. naglagay pa ng clinic sked e dinaman nila sinusunod!

Dito sa US, doctors are also late most of the time...there is one time that I waited for almost 2 hours before he saw me. They have a lot of patients. And normally they stay with a patient less than 15 mins. I worked in a hospital and doctors that does their rounds averages 2 mins. in between patients..:confused:
  • warfarin31warfarin31 Member PExer
    bbncu wrote: »
    Dito sa US, doctors are also late most of the time...there is one time that I waited for almost 2 hours before he saw me. They have a lot of patients. And normally they stay with a patient less than 15 mins. I worked in a hospital and doctors that does their rounds averages 2 mins. in between patients..:confused:

dito sa UK, they are very strict sa appointment system. pag late ang patient ng 15-20mins, hindi na *** makikita ng Doctor. The patient will have to make a new apointment with the doctor. most of the time hindi nalalate ang mga Doctor dito. the only possible reason hindi ka makita ng Doctor on time as stated in your appointment letter is if the patient ahead of you has more serious medical problem na kelangan extra time to be examined by the doctor. in scenario like this, all waiting patients are being updated kung gaano ka late bago makita ng doctor.
This discussion has been closed.