Inglorious Basterds

PandaemonaeonPandaemonaeon Moderator PEx Moderator
"I want muy scalps!" :rotflmao:

Comments

• QT IIQT II PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    "I want muy scalps!" :rotflmao:

"...the German will be sickened by us...I want me scalps!" - Gen. Aldo Ray

"Nein, nein, nein, nein, NEIN!!!!" - Adolf Hitler

OA na OA talaga ang Reichsfuhrer rito.....
  • sickmaggotsickmaggot PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
  • I know this will be FUN to watch! Its Tarantino c'mon! :D
  • BadAssGoddessBadAssGoddess PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    I will give it a try! :D
  • BeerhandBopBeerhandBop PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    i saw the trailer. and i have hopes that this movie will deliver.
  • Should be fun to watch! :rotflmao:
  • The posters look good! Maganda din yung trailer ... can't wait to watch it :)
  • I am a Tarantino fan, but ain't watching this movie because of that ham actor Pitt. I just don't consider him as an actor.
  • spiceboy!spiceboy! PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Tarantino's take on WWII...looks like fun to me
  • rockstaridolrockstaridol PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Saw the trailer before Star Trek. Can't. Wait.
  • OPNOPN PExer
    fulgoso83 wrote: »
    I am a Tarantino fan, but ain't watching this movie because of that ham actor Pitt. I just don't consider him as an actor.
    One of the things that I like about Pitt is his body of work and how versatile he is. He may be an A-lister and whose celebrity is in the stratosphere but he does know how to pick his films (he have films like Troy, The Mexican, etc that others consider a dud but he's got a great body of work for an A-lister). I don't know if you've watch the following films:

A River Runs Thru It - directed by Redford, early in his career but the raw talent shines thru

Kalifornia - IMO one of the best psycho thrillers and Brad Pitt excells as the trailer thrash psycho Early Grayce

True Romance - his Floyd stoner character was James Franco's inspiration for his character in Pineapple Express and QT wrote the screenplay

12 Monkeys - where he got his first Oscar nom

Snatch - Mickey the pikey, can't understand him (what he says) but he sure does makes it up in the body language :D

Fight Club - there's a reason why this movie seems to be a must have for most of the male demographics and why this movie has a cult following and that's why Pitt has has a large male fanbase because he is Tyler Durden :p

And I think his recent movies speaks for itself. He is working with great directors/writers like Innaritu, Malick, Fincher, the Coens, him taking on Andrew Dominik’s Jessie James a relative unknown director (which I think deserved another Oscar nom if not for WB screwing up the marketing and some power play & politics with Pitt because of his production company’s move to Paramount ….I digress) and with Tarantino in IB. I think QT has great instincts in choosing his cast. He did it with Pulp Fiction and his other films.

Pitt's role in IB is only 30% of the film, he is just one of the lead characters. The main character is Melanie Laurent's Shosanna and the movie is like 70% in German and French.

This is one of the reason why I think he's very much underrated as an actor because of his celebrity and looks. He is really a character actor in a leading man's body.

BTW, there's a great interview with Rolling Stone last year which it greatly delves into his body of work.
  • OPNOPN PExer
    Festival News
    Posted: Sun., May 17, 2009, 8:00pm PT
    Tarantino reflects on 'Bas-terds'
    Director aimed to finish film in time for Cannes
    By MICHAEL FLEMING

Quentin Tarantino is so high on the Cannes experience that he worked at a breakneck pace to shoot and edit the 165-page epic-sized WWII drama "Inglourious Basterds" in eight months. And when the writer-director bows his film on Wednesday, he says, "I'm expecting this to be one of the high moments of my career."
    Reflecting on the pic over a hamburger at the Carlton Hotel, Tarantino said it was worth the struggle to debut his third film in competition. (Tarantino won the 1994 Palme D'Or for "Pulp Fiction" and also brought "Death Proof").

"This is the cinematic Olympics," Tarantino said. "What an exciting year for auteurs this year, with four Palme d'Or winners. If you've done a movie you're proud of, that you might be defined by, then to me the dream is not necessarily to be there at Oscar time. That's wonderful. But my dream is to always go to present the film at Cannes.

"There is nothing like it in cinema," he said. "Nobody has seen your film. It's a wet print, fresh out of the lab. The entire world film press is here, and they all see it, at one time. The greatest film critics in the world, who are still critics, and they're all fighting and debating it. When you think back on your career, it comes down to these high moments. That level of excitement is unparalleled."

Getting to the Croisette took discipline. The film had the same 10-week production schedule as "Pulp Fiction," fast for a period war movie shot in Europe.

And the film came in at a running time of 2 hours, 27 minutes, shorter than some had expected.

"Directors in my situation don't normally go this direction, especially when they're doing something really big. If you have three days scheduled for a scene, it's easy to (add) the fourth day. It's nice to have all the time you need, but when you slow down, I think that marbled fat is felt in the pacing. I didn't want easy and comfortable and I do feel that energy is evident on the screen."

Tarantino flirted with his WWII project for years, once considering it as a miniseries, even a novel, before stripping down to the story of a brigade of brutal soldiers sent to hunt Nazis, and led by Brad Pitt, the biggest star Tarantino has directed.

Said Tarantino: "Once, I was talking to a big actor who said, 'You're afraid of stars. You want to be the guy.' I never feel like I need a star, but a lot of the great Hollywood directors I respect all worked with stars and so there was this aspect in the back of my mind where it was time to do that.

"Brad is an actor I treated just like the other actors, who happens to be this huge movie star. But he is such perfect casting for this character that if Brad Pitt wasn't famous, I'd have lobbied for him to have the role."

While he gave several plum roles to unexpected performers -- "Hostel" helmer Eli Roth has a large role, Mike Myers plays a British intelligence agent -- no actor has a bigger starmaking opportunity than Christoph Waltz, a German TV actor who plays Hans Landa, the cunning SS Colonel who is the primary antagonist of the Basterds.

"Landa is a linguistic genius, and the actor who played him needed the same facility with language or he would never be what he was on the page," Tarantino said.

Tarantino grew so frustrated at casting that role, he was five days away from calling off the movie when Waltz auditioned.

"I told my producers I might have written a part that was un-playable," Tarantino said. "I said, I don't want to make this movie if I can't find the perfect Landa, I'd rather just publish the script than make a movie where this character would be less than he was on the page. When Christoph came in and read the next day, he gave me my movie back."

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=festivals&jump=story&id=1061&articleid=VR1118003822&cs=1
  • st.angerst.anger PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Tarantino = awesome.
  • QT IIQT II PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Should check it out mainly for Myers' serious turn...I just hope he can redeem himself after the debacle that was "The Love Guru"
  • OPNOPN PExer
    These clips should put to rest about those doubts of Pitt's acting chops and QT's casting choices.

Inglorious Bast-erds - "Hans Landa"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktwy7FmN4h4&feature=channel

Inglorious Bast-erds - "Interrogation"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KldfkE462Bk&feature=channel

Inglorious Bast-erds - "The Vet"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qAOUp1YjH0&feature=channel
  • OPNOPN PExer
    from THR - hope QT don't let the Harvey mess with his baby.
    'Basterds' actors on pins and needles
    Quentin Tarantino cut it close for Cannes premiere
    By Scott Roxborough

May 19, 2009, 08:27 AM ET

CANNES -- Everyone is on tenterhooks ahead of Wednesday's premiere of "Inglourious Basterds," not least the stars of Quentin Tarantino's Nazi-slaying epic.

The director's mad rush to finish the film in time for Cannes has meant that virtually no one, including "Basterds" headliners, has seen the movie.

"When I arrived in Cannes and saw the posters on the Carlton Hotel and I wasn't on them I thought, 'Oh no, they've cut me out,' " German star Daniel Bruhl, one of the film's leads, told The Hollywood Reporter. "I saw Quentin, and he said he hasn't cut a minute. But I won't know what's in or out until the premiere."

The version of "Basterds" that bows in Cannes, however, is unlikely to match the one that Universal and the Weinstein Co. roll out at a multiplex near you. Wednesday's screening clocks in at 2 hours and 40 minutes -- reassuringly long for cast members worried about ending up as cutting-room dross -- but a programming challenge for distributors.

So "Basterds" in Cannes could resemble a test screening, with a leaner, perhaps meaner cut going up in August.
  • OPNOPN PExer
    Its not an official review but Chris Hewitt of Empire has seen the press screening of IB.
    20 May 2009
    We've Seen Inglourious Basterds!
    QT's WWII epic debuts in Cannes, and...

Empire has just seen Quentin Tarantino's eagerly-awaited WWII flick, Inglourious Basterds, and it's rather brilliant. Every bit as idiosyncratic as the spelling of its title, it's a wonderfully-acted movie that subverts expectation at every turn. And it may represent the most confident, audacious writing and directing of QT's career.

Forget what you think you know is such a clich?\, but here it more than applies. Tarantino has made a career out of subverting expectations ? this is the man who made a heist flick without a heist, after all ? but he?s outdone himself with Basterds. It?s an action movie that has barely any action. The Basterds themselves, including Brad Pitt?s Lt. Aldo Raine, are off-screen for long periods of time. And it takes wild liberties with history.

But that?s all set up by the opening title card (the film is divided into five chapters), ?Once Upon A Time In? Nazi-Occupied France?. Not only does that allow Tarantino to use Spaghetti Western-esque musical cues and swipe the odd shot and convention from the likes of Sergio Leone, but it frees him up to take those liberties. This is a fairytale world, in which American soldiers can ghost behind enemy lines, scalp hundreds of Nazis and never get caught. And in which? no, we won?t go there. Not yet. But the ending is so thrillingly audacious that this reporter laughed out loud when it happened. Even when, having read the script, I knew it was coming.

The performances are superb across-the-board. Pitt is hilarious throughout, lending his lines that air of cocky movie-star insouciance that was a touchstone of his turns in the Ocean?s movies. But the standouts for me were Michael Fassbender, who deserves to become a star on the basis of his turn as British officer Lt. Archie Hicox, and Christoph Waltz, as the movie?s villain, Col. Hans Landa, aka The Jew Hunter.

A complex creation, refined, calculating and yet utterly monstrous when the time comes, Landa was the role that Tarantino struggled to fill, so much so that he might have had to pass on making the movie had he not filled it. But in Waltz, he?s found gold. He may look like an evil Rob Brydon, but the Austrian actor is fantastic: oleaginous, chilling and often devilishly charming. He may be a shoo-in for a Best Supporting Oscar nom, and even though it?s mighty early yet, he could become the first actor to win for a Tarantino film.

There are flaws, of course ? what film doesn?t have flaws? But they may be exaggerated depending on your feelings about Tarantino. Some of his Grindhouse flourishes ? large captions stamped on screen, the usual flirting with structure and chronology, offbeat musical cues (a David Bowie track shows up at one point) and the sudden introduction of a hip narrator (Samuel L. Jackson) ? may irk some, but this movie-movie approach has been Tarantino?s forte since Uma Thurman drew a box on the screen in Pulp Fiction.

It?s certainly very talky, and there?s no doubt that Tarantino is in love with the sound of his characters? voices, but QT dialogue is so much better than most other screenwriters that it?s hard to quibble. If all scenes in movies are about control, Tarantino understands that perhaps better than anybody, and some of the scenes here ? the opening exchange between Landa and a French dairy farmer, and the Reservoir Dogs-esque scene in French bar, La Louisiane ? are masterclasses in how to switch control from character to character. Indeed, both scenes are as tense as anything Tarantino has ever done in his career.

Remember, though: this is not the official Empire review, simply a reaction to this morning?s screening. Empire?s official verdict may differ from mine, so bear that in mind.

Chris Hewitt

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=24863
  • OPNOPN PExer
    With Kirk Honeycutt's negative reaction I'd expect the opposite from Variety's Todd McCarthy. :lol:
    Early Buzz: Inglourious Basterds
    Posted on Wednesday, May 20th, 2009 at 1:30 am by: Peter Sciretta

Quentin Tarantino’s Inglourious Basterds has screened to the international press at the 2009 Cannes Film Festival. It will be a few hours before we have full reviews, but here is the early Twitter buzz. I’ll be adding real reviews as they come in. Keep checking back.

Reviews:

The Hollywood Reporter’s Kirk Honeycutt gives his quick video review, which is ultimately negative (beware of possible spoilers):

Total Film’s Sam Ashurst: “Not only did I love every minute, if the French projectionist wanted to cue it up and roll it again from the start, I would have sat through the whole film again, with the biggest grin on my face. This is Quentin’s best film since Jackie Brown. It might even be his best film since Pulp Fiction.” “[Eli Roth is] the only weak link I could spot” … “Tarantino dialogue at its best” … “QT’s magpie eye has never been sharper, swooping down on Italian cinema and plucking the very best shots, framing and music to create a deserving homage to the spaghetti westerns of my youth.”

Empire’s Chris Hewitt : “Rather brilliant. Every bit as idiosyncratic as the spelling of its title, it’s a wonderfully-acted movie that subverts expectation at every turn. And it may represent the most confident, audacious writing and directing of QT’s career.” … “The performances are superb across-the-board.” “[Christoph Waltz] may be a shoo-in for a Best Supporting Oscar nom” … “Some of his Grindhouse flourishes – large captions stamped on screen, the usual flirting with structure and chronology, offbeat musical cues (a David Bowie track shows up at one point) and the sudden introduction of a hip narrator (Samuel L. Jackson) – may irk some” … “certainly very talky,”

Showbiz411’s Roger Friedman: “a big sprawling entertainment that’s less violent than you’d expect and a tad more intellectual, too. … “Tarantino fans won’t be disappointed but they may be challenged” … “Brad Pitt is excellent” … ” feels sometimes disjointed.” … “less brutal action than expected” … ” IB is a fairy tale at heart.”

Total Film’s Jonathan Dean : “Much of Basterds felt flat, with a schizophrenic spaghetti western style that blasts Ennio Morricone at the start and then David Bowie later on.” … “Enjoyable? Sure. But for 2 hours and 40 minutes it’s a big ask to keep brattishness exhilarating.” … “well worth watching and admirably ambitious and single-minded,” … “Inglourious Basterds will split viewers.”

Twitter Buzz:

FirstShowing : Inglourious Basterds was frickin’ awesome! This is the WW2 movie we’ve all been waiting to see!! Lots of talking scenes, but still great! Diff than I was expecting, but I think Tarantino is back in action, hell yea!! The action is kind of minimal, but that’s Tarantino for you, lots of talking, but great story, I loved it!

Alison Willmore (abridged): INGLOURIOUS ********: Soooooooooooooooo Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch Taaaaaaaaaalkiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!

empiremagazine: Glorious Basterds, as it turns out… very, very good, subverting expectations at every corner. Should make Michael Fassbender a star - C It’s utterly unpredictable. When it looks like going one way, it twists the other, & the ending… so audacious it provokes giddy laughter. Christoph Waltz, as Jew Hunter Hans Landa, is a revelation. Shoo-in for Best Supporting Nom. Looks like evil Rob Brydon too. All performances are uniformly grand. Pitt’s hilarious. And the film has two or three scenes that rival anything in QT’s career for tension.

BBCEntsTeam: Surely Tarantino’s best film since Pulp Fiction. Goody!! Brad Pitt is superb… It’s flabby in parts… And (spoiler?) Tarantino has produced an alternative ending to WWII

Nadianeo : Inglourious Basterds was almost 3 hours long but a good watch-lotsa typical Tarantino moves

monggaard [Strange] film, Inglourious Basterds. [In a good way]. Tarantino pulls no punches. Revenge, Jewish style.

joakimt: “Inglourus Basterds” as expected. Quite funny and violent, and far from Tarantinos best workNo sustained applause for “Inglourious Basterds”. No boos either.

Hyams: INGLORIOUS BASTERDS: a light comedy about killing Nazis. My low expectations were met. \\

owfilm: Just came out of Cannes screening… Inglorious Basterds - Absolute F**CKING quality! “It gets a bit silly for ten minutes at the end and the brit characters are a bit *****”.

djmecca: just saw Inglorious Basterds in Cannes. […} the movie works and is the best competing film Ive seen at the fest so far.

Jesseblanco: INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS ( Cannes ), steadfast and strong, a linguistic’s dream, not historically acurate in a GREAT way.

gkilday Basterds turns out it’s the grindhouse version of “Valkyrie”

TVCalling: Bottom line of Basterds: entertaining but nothing ground-breaking

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/05/20/early-twitter-buzz-inglourious-basterds/
  • up up up. malapit na ang premiere ng inglourious basterds.

nein nein nein!!! LOL :rotflmao:
  • MrSinisterMrSinister PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    check this out - Inglorious Plumbers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuTS_AcjA00