COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

Philippine School with the Best Veterinary Degree Program

Ice BurnIce Burn Conflicting Karma PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
What's the school here with the best veterinary degree program?

I've been contemplating on going back to school to pursue a veterinary degree. Been thinking about it since the Avian flu outbreak. There's a currently a big demand right now for people with dual degrees in VetMed & Public Policy for Multilateral Agencies like UN, World Bank & WHO etc, especially now w/ the swine flu outbreak. Since I already have a masters in Public Policy, I'm really thinking about it.

I know vetmed takes 5 years if one is fresh out of highschool but how long will it take to finish for one with already a bachelors and a master's degree?

Comments

• ЅUX2B?ЅUX2B? El Verdadero Guayabero PExer
    I've been hearing a lot of good things about the College of Veterinary Medicine and Agricultural Sciences of DLSAU (formerly Gregorio Araneta University Foundation).

Dr. Hiroshi Saito, a prominent researcher and expert in animal reproduction, artificial insemination, and tropical animal science, obtained his Master's Degrees in Tropical Animal Science and Animal Breeding at DLSAU.

He has been travelling around the world conducting research projects through the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA).

:)
  • kohzkohz In Heat PExer
    UP Los Banos
  • philippines123philippines123 Banned by Admin PExer
    UPLB has the best veterinary med program in the country.
    Their Institute for ANimal Science is a center of excellence.
    http://www.uplb.edu.ph/index.php/academics
  • jayr_emlanojayr_emlano Member PExer
    It has to be UPLB hands down. Well then again, I may be biased. hehe!
  • Ice BurnIce Burn Conflicting Karma PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    DLSAU seems to be a good prospective school. I'll give them a call come Monday to inquire. :)

Are there any other Manila based schools offering vetmed aside from DLSAU? UPLB is too far.
  • ЅUX2B?ЅUX2B? El Verdadero Guayabero PExer
    Ice Burn wrote: »
    DLSAU seems to be a good prospective school. I'll give them a call come Monday to inquire. :)

Are there any other Manila based schools offering vetmed aside from DLSAU? UPLB is too far.

Aside from DLSAU, I believe no other vet schools are located in MM; veterinary medicine is usually offered by provincial state universities.

:)
  • DraexDraex paddler PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    UPLB, no doubt about it. The best in our country.
    DLSAU, a very promising school.
  • taurus90210taurus90210 Banned by Admin PExer
    If ok sa mga gustong mag-aral sa provincial setup, UPLB ang the best choice. 3-4hrs ang byahe, depende sa traffic. It is also the best in the country.

DLSAU is good also, esp. kung within metro manila ang target ng students.
  • ronelioronelio Member PEx Rookie ⭐
    the passing rate of GAUF has always been DISMAL. always below 50 percent. if u really want to be a Vet, try UPLB. No other choice!!!
  • AnnunakiAnnunaki Member PEx Rookie ⭐
    Hands down UPLB is the best.. just compare uplb to that "other" school. :bop:
  • KuyaDannyKuyaDanny Moderator PEx Moderator
    ronelio wrote: »
    the passing rate of GAUF has always been DISMAL. always below 50 percent. if u really want to be a Vet, try UPLB. No other choice!!!

I think there is a choice, especially since she wants to stay in Metro Manila. She can figure out what those GAUF passers have done and do as they have done, or even better. There are many paths to success.
  • cute_pierrecute_pierre Not even remotely funny. PExer
    UP Los Banos. :)
  • LabuyoXVIIILabuyoXVIII Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    DLSAU if here in Metro Manila - their the only school that offers Veterinary Medicine in the Metro.

UPLB, I guess if you can go to Laguna and study.
  • bluesilverbluesilver Member PExer
    i think uplb, iyon lang alam kong may vet med.[ang one-sided]
  • filial_pietyfilial_piety action_star PExer
    UPLB is the Best..... no doubt!

===> other recommended school is CLSU, my friend studied there and now she is very successful Veterinarian abroad

Central Luzon State University - College of Veterinary Science & Medicine
    There really isn't much choices then noh? :lol:

My purpose really isn't to do clinic later on (though I might) but more on policy work.
  • lizyan1lizyan1 supah kapamilya! PExer
    UPLB..supah true!
    No offense to the UP people here but it would be nice to receive more feedback and program discussions other than simply saying your school is the best.

Or better yet I am hoping for feedback from people who actually studied vetmed and can post about the pros and cons of their respective programs.

I'm not particular about the name of the school but rather the quality of the program and whether the school offers specializations since I'm really more on looking on specializing on animal diseases on a pandemic level.
  • cretinous00cretinous00 The sea! The sea! PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    if you're worried about humans and not animals, vet med is a little bit off for you :lol: may i suggest public health, preferably at the masteral level. PH is for med people who really dig research. health research can be very lucrative as there will always be grants from both local and foreign agencies. but there are two disadvantages to taking public health:

1. it's a tough course with a heavy chemistry load (you can imagine the deterministic nature of the work.)

2. if you want funding agencies to notice you, it's always an advantage to have a medical degree. BSPH or MPH might not cut it.

i'm not a PH guy but i know what i'm saying, especially #2.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file