Home PEx Lifestyle Food and Drinks

Cebu's Lechon

Saw it on TV and found it on the net:

Home > Life Style > Top Stories What scare? TIME goes ga-ga over RP's lechon
MARK JOSEPH H. UBALDE, GMANews.TV
04/27/2009 | 01:56 PM

DIVINE PORCINE. The succulent lechon is the prized meal in every Filipino fiesta table. Its tail and ears are reserved for special guests. Photo by Mark Joseph H. UbaldeMANILA, Philippines - As pork lovers worldwide worry over the spread of the deadly swine flu, the Filipinos’ favorite roasted suckling pig has been listed by TIME magazine as the best Asia has to offer.

TIME magazine hailed the Philippines’ lechon in its annual Best of Asia list as the "best pig ever."

"It was just a matter of time before the rest of the world found out," TIME said.

According to the magazine, it was No Reservations’ TV chef Anthony Bourdain’s visit to the Philippines that paved the way for the underrated lechon to gain international stardom.

When Bourdain went on a gastronomical tour to Cebu last November, he declared that he had finally found the holy grail of all pork. [See: Anthony Bourdain visits the Philippines]

Bourdain, who was convinced by a Filipino fanatic to visit the Philippines with him, raved about the country’s fiesta staple. He rated lechon as the best he had ever had, followed by other pork dishes that he tasted in Indonesia and Puerto Rico.

“It can now be said that of all the whole roasted pigs I've had all over the world, the slow roasted lechon I had on Cebu was the best. This puts the standings in the Hierarchy of Pork as follows: 1. Philippines, 2. Bali, 3. Puerto Rico," he wrote in his blog.

TIME magazine too, drooled over the Filipinos’ porcine pride.

“You could call it the Platonic ideal of a pig, but it's doubtful if Plato, or even an entire faculty of philosophers, could have imagined anything so exquisite," they said. - GMANews.TV

Comments

• BeerhandBopBeerhandBop PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    that's a misrepresenting title.

it's not really 'cebu lechon' per se.

but marketManila hired somebody to cook the lechon in his backyard.

most cebu lechons won't even taste nearly as good as the one Bourdain had. ?

CNT? taste of cebuanos?

MY @$$. it's a bunch of "questionable meat parts' bagged and thrown into a box.
  • IMHO, nothing special with the Cebu Lechon kase halos kalasa din sha ng normal na lechon..add to the fact na may sarsa pa yung normal na lechon..may ulam ka na..may sawsawan na..may sabaw pa!
  • sana ang cebu's lechon eh yung pang anthony bourdain level na rin ang sarap sa totoong buhay.
  • ka_denizka_deniz PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    (reluctantly) i would have to agree with beerhandbop this time, if you want really good lechon, have it roasted in your backyard.

i don't see anything special about cnt. i don't see what's all the fuzz about cebu lechon. regional differences aside,parepareho lang yan. pag well and freshly made, masarap.
    ofcourse. i stand nothing but for the truth. nothing peeves me more than misleading misrepresentation.
  • Well I notice the difference in taste thats why I prefer Cebu lechon over LaLoma lechon. I also prefer the suka sawsawan over the sarsa. Makes me eat a lot more lechon.
  • i love cebu's lechon.. even annabel rama, pilita corales and jackielou blanco love it.. :)
    even la loma lechon is bad nowadays.

they roast a lot, then leave it there. sometimes lechon takes days before somebody buys it.

luma na.

lechon, anywhere in the country, freshly cooked is great.

la loma lechon's meat tastes clean, and tender and you can really taste the natural sweetness of the meat. but it was only seasoned with salt and pepper. the real taste is when it is dipped in the liver sauce. people complain that the taste is just in the sauce, unlike cebu lechon. they are mistaken. the heavenly joy of eating la loma lechon is in the interplay of the lechon meat and the sauce.

cebu, (actually visayan, since bohol, samar-leyte and panay lechon is basically the same) lechon on the other hand is spiced and flavored. the magic of this lechon is the simple vinegar, soy sauce and garlic dip. the simple bite of spiced sour saltiness of this dip hightens brings out the taste of the spiced meat.

lechon in pangasinan is pretty much eaten with liver sauce but the meat is spiced.

in some parts of ilocandia, the pig is marinated with bagoong, and the dipping sauce is bagoong and kamatis, much like bagnet.

like i said, freshly made lechon is great, regional differences aside.
  • mhekmhek PExer
    masarap nga lechon ng cebu, nung christmas nagpadala kaibigan ng ate ko dito sa manila, the best ang lechon nila!
  • LydsLyds PExer
    the best talaga Lechon namin dito. each time may occasion sa family namin, we always order CNT Lechon. ang sarap.
  • My boss is from Cebu, so everytime may corp. event kami hindi nawawala ang lechon, sa Cebu pa nanggagaling. Di ko alam kung anong extra special taste pag Lechon Cebu, kasi parang pareho lang naman ng lasa nung mga nabibili dito sa Manila, like Mila's et al... ewan, di ko lang siguro ma-differentiate. :bop:
  • Actually Cebuanos dont go to CNT when they crave for lechon. They go to Talisay or Labangon in the southern part.

Try comparing lechon Cebu vs Lechon Manila without sarsa or vinegar and you'll know which one will taste better.

But on the other hand, it could be individual / regional panlasa. Not unlike Filipinos who like spaghetti sweet, Italians a bit on the sour side.
  • Baka siguro masarap yung lechon Cebu kasi nilamutak na ng mga airport cargo handlers yung lechon?
    "Try comparing lechon Cebu vs Lechon Manila without sarsa or vinegar and you'll know which one will taste better. "

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using the sauce to enhance to flavor of a dish. Besides, you're using the pig's liver as the main sauce ingredient. so what's wrong with that?
  • "Try comparing lechon Cebu vs Lechon Manila without sarsa or vinegar and you'll know which one will taste better. "

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using the sauce to enhance to flavor of a dish. Besides, you're using the pig's liver as the main sauce ingredient. so what's wrong with that?

You're right, nothing wrong with that sir.

I mean that's my way of comparing lechon, tasting without sarsa / vinegar. My rationale for that is - the lechon that tastes better witout it will be much tastier by the time you put sauce with it. Others may have different ways comparing

That's my way of tasting lechon, not a rule of thumb.
    babydoc wrote: »

I mean that's my way of comparing lechon, tasting without sarsa / vinegar. My rationale for that is - the lechon that tastes better witout it will be much tastier by the time you put sauce with it. Others may have different ways comparing

this truly misses the point.

the true lechon experience is to eat it as it is supposed to be eaten. luzon lechon with liver sauce, lechon cebu with vinegar, soy sauce and garlic, lechon waray with soy sauce, vinegar, garlic and ginger.

trying to taste lechon with out sauce is like drinking tepid tea. it misses the point entirely.

the dips enhances the flavor of the lechon. visayas lechon needs to be dipped in vinegar to bring out and enhance the flavor of the meat.

the luzon lechon needs to be dipped in liver sauce because the pork was really kept bland for you to be able to taste the bare taste of the pork meat which perfectly complements the explosion of flavor from the liver sauce.

what i find trully sad is that there is a dearth of sauce makers in manila. pangit na ang sauces sa la loma. i remember a time when we use to order lechon sauces separately. there was a stall in paco market that used to make nothing but lechon sauce. and their sauce is to die for. sweet, sour, spicy and earth shaking.
  • LydsLyds PExer
    babydoc wrote: »
    Actually Cebuanos dont go to CNT when they crave for lechon. They go to Talisay or Labangon in the southern part.

Try comparing lechon Cebu vs Lechon Manila without sarsa or vinegar and you'll know which one will taste better.

But on the other hand, it could be individual / regional panlasa. Not unlike Filipinos who like spaghetti sweet, Italians a bit on the sour side.

nasanay na kami sa CNT.
  • ka_deniz wrote: »
    this truly misses the point.

the true lechon experience is to eat it as it is supposed to be eaten. luzon lechon with liver sauce, lechon cebu with vinegar, soy sauce and garlic, lechon waray with soy sauce, vinegar, garlic and ginger.

trying to taste lechon with out sauce is like drinking tepid tea. it misses the point entirely.

the dips enhances the flavor of the lechon. visayas lechon needs to be dipped in vinegar to bring out and enhance the flavor of the meat.

the luzon lechon needs to be dipped in liver sauce because the pork was really kept bland for you to be able to taste the bare taste of the pork meat which perfectly complements the explosion of flavor from the liver sauce.

what i find trully sad is that there is a dearth of sauce makers in manila. pangit na ang sauces sa la loma. i remember a time when we use to order lechon sauces separately. there was a stall in paco market that used to make nothing but lechon sauce. and their sauce is to die for. sweet, sour, spicy and earth shaking.

Point taken. Hope we can eat lechon together in the near future.
    "
    I mean that's my way of comparing lechon, tasting without sarsa / vinegar. My rationale for that is - the lechon that tastes better witout it will be much tastier by the time you put sauce with it. Others may have different ways comparing"

the sauce is PART of the Dish.

kaya it's only right that the cebu lechon is compared with 'manila' lechon dipped in sarsa.
  • babydoc wrote: »

That would be like comparing the best Kare kare without bagoong.

But it makes a ton of sense though. Kung without any sarsa masarap na kagad yung lechon, what more kung may sarsa pa siya? Personally mas gusto ko sarsa ng Mang Tomas compared to the sarsa that comes with the Laloma lechon.

With CNT you at least have more choices:

- lechon plain
    - lechon with suka sawsawan
    - lechon with liver sauce