Home PEx Lifestyle Food and Drinks
Ho-Ho-Hope you have a holly jolly holidays, PExers! 🎅

Are You Still Eating Beef?

The government says that there is no longer a mad cow scare in the country but these reassurances don't seem to have an effect on the beef-buying public. How has this mad cow brouhaha affected your beef-eating habits?

Comments

• I'll probably still be eating beef. I probably won't be looking at beef the same way ever again but I'll still be eating it. Even though five years from now I will regret it. :D
  • thank god i haven't been eating beef (and pork) for 2 years now...so this is NOT a problem for me! :D
  • AdaAda Administrator PEx Moderator
    I'm not eating beef as much as I used to since my mom hasn't cooked a beef dish eversince the mad cow thingy broke out. And whenever I eat out nowadays, I've made it a point to ask the waitress where they get their beef, although I know that it's useless since she'd probably deny getting their beef from Europe even if that's where it's really from. I guess I just need some form of reassurance that I'm not eating contaminated beef. :D
  • no, kahit gaano pa tayo i-reassure ng gov't, di muna ako kakain ng beef, kahit sa resto
  • We hardly buy beef or pork in our household anyway... :)
  • ProkorpyoProkorpyo PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I was at Cajun in Glorietta the other day. One of the ladies in front of me asked if the beef they are using came from Europe. The supervisor (with a hint of pride) said: “Gawa ho namin lahat yung patties at lokal ho yan!”
    Can’t help but laugh after hearing that comment. :D
  • CaRaMBaCaRaMBa Administrator PEx Moderator
    Nah. Just to make sure. :)
  • more than ever.
  • my ninang from Aussie just came by for a visit and
    her pasalubong?
    lots of Angus beef! yummy tlga!! heheh
  • di ba kayo natatakot? kasi after 10 years mo pa makikita yung effect diba? by then di mo na alam kung sinong sisisihin! :eek:
  • I try to stop myself from eating beef and I'm 99% successful. It's mostly for my diet [more than being cautious]. The 1% failure is when I'm faced with bulalo. Wala akong laban.
  • Originally posted by CaRaMBa
    Nah. Just to make sure. :)

me too!!! pero talaga i miss eating hamburgers, especially Wendy's bacon mushroom melt...
    Originally posted by solace
    I try to stop myself from eating beef and I'm 99% successful. It's mostly for my diet [more than being cautious]. The 1% failure is when I'm faced with bulalo. Wala akong laban.

hehehe... tawa naman ako sayo! :lol:
  • aticusaticus PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Well, according to a source of mine from the Department of Agriculture, even local beef COULD be affected. During Ed Angara's tenure, he apparently authorized the importation of about 20 tons of feed meal from the UK. Feed meal is where scientists believe mad cow may have come from, as it is composed mainly of processed animal parts (especially sheep parts), which is then fed to the cows.

Just be careful. I'm not eating beef at all. And unless I can be sure it's from New Zealand or Australia (which has some of the world's tightest regulations on the importation of agricultural products), then I'm not even CONSIDERING eating the beef.
  • AdaAda Administrator PEx Moderator
    Just how much beef should I consume before I get the disease? Is one hamburger patty enough?

aticus: After reading your post, I promise not to eat beef anymore. :D
  • not yet. maganda na yung nag-iingat. it's ok cause i love eating vegetables and fish naman.

:goon:
    Originally posted by Ada
    Just how much beef should I consume before I get the disease? Is one hamburger patty enough?

aticus: After reading your post, I promise not to eat beef anymore. :D

Pls. don't think I'm trying to convince everyone, Ada. :D I'm just sharing what my source told me. I wouldn't normally believe him except a) he actually works in the Dept. of Agriculture and b) he's very high up. I suppose it doesn't hurt to be careful.

No one really knows what EXACTLY causes it. Right now there are educated assumptions. The feed meal theory is the latest one, but who knows? Maybe it's carried through the air by some vicious four-leaf clover-loving insects who then feast on anyone wearing a baseball cap? :)

Part of the panic stems from the fact that this has such a long incubation period that you're never really sure whether you're safe. At least with AIDS, if after 3 years you're still healthy, you kinda get the feeling you're ok. With this? Not sure. :(
  • nixnix Administrator PEx Moderator
    I actually still am eating beef. I guess I am just hard headed.
    Originally posted by nix
    I actually still am eating beef. I guess I am just hard headed.

As long as that's how the head stays, Nix... :lol:
  • I've been avoiding beef myself... no burgers or anything...

I guess we'll know in another 20 years whether this mad cow scare is true, neh?
  • Hindi na. ;)