Home PEx News and Tech Local and Foreign Issues
COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

ABS-CBN promised me political support! - Manny Pacquiao

According to Manny Pacquiao, ABS-CBN used their sports correspondent Dyan Castillejo to dangle the network's "promise of political support" in exchange for giving the Lopez network the rights to broadcast the Pacquiao-Hatton fight.

ABS-CBN refused to comment, saying that they have already said their piece about this whole mess.

So do you guys think ABS-CBN is indeed guilty of using their broadcast power and reach to further the Lopez' business and political interests?

Pacman raps ABS-CBN anew
Source: http://www.inquirer.net

MANILA, Philippines — Manny Pacquiao delivered another stinging blow to ABS-CBN Broadcasting Corp.

Pacquiao’s lawyer Franklin Gacal confirmed Friday that “a promise of a political support” was dangled by ABS-CBN to entice the Filipino ring icon to sign up with the giant network and ditch his previous deal with Solar Sports to air his blockbuster fights on GMA Network Inc.

Gacal made the disclosure in a press conference yesterday, just four days after Pacquiao revealed in a teleconference that ABS-CBN had reneged on a news embargo agreement.

“He admitted to me that yes, there was a discussion on such issue, that he was promised political support on the forthcoming 2010 elections,” Gacal said during a press briefing at the Renaissance Hotel in Makati City.

“But I told him ... it could possibly derail your candidacy. It could be a violation of the election code and other pertinent laws. I know for a fact that media should be neutral on the electoral process.”

ABS-CBN has denied in previous statements that it promised to help Pacquiao’s political plans.

Local media earlier reported that ABS-CBN had offered “full media support to ensure [Pacquiao’s] victory in the 2010 congressional elections.”

In another released statement Friday, the influence-heavy media outfit stated it “has said everything it will say on this topic.”

ABS-CBN chairman Eugenio Lopez III said the network “acted in an ethical manner” regarding Pacquiao’s aborted plans to transfer the television rights of his May 2 fight against Ricky Hatton.

Lopez said last Tuesday, “We did not violate any restrictions in the embargo; there is no deal on the politics.”

Gacal said the world’s pound-for-pound king is “hurting” from the “conscious and well-planned grand design to malign him” just 35 days before his much-anticipated bout against the British “Hitman.”

Pacquiao said he had an agreement with ABS-CBN that the statement on his transfer would not be aired until it has been proven that Solar Sports had committed a breach of contract.

On March 18, the video of his statement from Los Angeles was shown on the ABS-CBN news show “TV Patrol World” where he said he personally approached ABS-CBN and decided to give it the right to air his fights.

Pacquiao had claimed it was an ABS-CBN lawyer who wrote that statement and added he was under the impression that the tape would be embargoed.

Maria Ressa, ABS-CBN senior vice president for News and Current Affairs, told the Philippine Daily Inquirer in a previous interview that the network “would not have aired Pacquiao’s statement without his consent.”

Gacal said Pacquiao “categorically denies that he approached ABS-CBN.”

He said it was ABS-CBN’s sports reporter Dyan Castillejo who approached Pacquiao last February “with the idea” that his fights be “aired on their TV station.”

Gacal added the 30-year-old slugger “admits he is not without fault for this mess” and he was “too trusting and too accommodating, too shy to say no.”

“Money was never a main consideration when he entertained ABS-CBN,” said Gacal. “In fact, the documents he signed did not even stipulate what the full and total financial considerations were to be granted him by ABS-CBN.”

Comments

• behold, sular and gme7's black propaganda in action.

what a lame excuse.

money, este, manny, ABS-CBN cannot guarantee your win, maski suportahan ka pa nila.

at alam mong may kontrata ka sa other media companies, lalapit-lapit ka sa ABS-CBN to create this mess.

bakit, hindi ka ba masaya sa hatian mo with sular and gme7? kasalanan mo yan, nakisosyo ka sa dawalang ganid na media companies na yan.

sasabihin mo si castillejo ang nag-initiate ng paglipat mo e matagal ng kapit-tuko yan sa iyo a? lagi sya nakakakuha ng exlusive scoops sa iyo di ba? so bakit now lang ikaw kumagat kung totoong inofferan ka? ilaglag ba si castillejo?
  • BOBO talaga ni Pacquiao!! :grrr:

mag boxing na lang siya, yun lang naman ang alam at magaling siya dun.

wag na siya mag politics. :grrr:
  • pati ba naman si dyan castillejo idadamay mo pa sa katangahan mo money pacquiao???? :grrr:

o baka naman gumagawa lang ang GMA ng paraan para ayawan ni dyan si pacquiao dahil alam nilang lagi silang natatalo ni dyan castillejo lalo na sa reporting :glee: nice try GMA :rolleyes:

very UN-ETHICAL talaga ang ibang istasyon.
  • metropolitanmetropolitan PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    GMA Network and Solar are spinning this Pacquiao issue to their favor and are orchestrating a smear campaign against their rival.

Money is flowing and promises are being made to certain people and groups...
  • BeerhandBopBeerhandBop PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    LMAO @ all these abs cbn fanatics.
  • starczamorastarczamora Sissie DaToic PEx Moderator
    The Lopezes belong to a political clan and are not broadcasters. Kaya lang, instead of running on their own, they would opt supporting other people to run and if they win, oh well...
  • dami namang abs-cbn fanatics. ano kaya ginagawa ng abs-cbn sa kanila?
  • Please don't spin this into a network war thiing. Discuss Pacquiao's move to transfer, if the offer was made or not and the ethics of a TV station to promise a person political coverage. This is NOT a network war issue.

abs-cbnHD wrote: »
    pati ba naman si dyan castillejo idadamay mo pa sa katangahan mo money pacquiao???? :grrr:

o baka naman gumagawa lang ang GMA ng paraan para ayawan ni dyan si pacquiao dahil alam nilang lagi silang natatalo ni dyan castillejo lalo na sa reporting :glee: nice try GMA :rolleyes:

very UN-ETHICAL talaga ang ibang istasyon.
    GMA Network and Solar are spinning this Pacquiao issue to their favor and are orchestrating a smear campaign against their rival.

This is not LMTV and certainly NOT the place for your petty pissing contests. Any more GMA v. ABS comments and this thread will be closed
  • c'mon guys can't you see the real deal, its all about money, lots of money for both pacman and abscbn. and pacman will do anything to fullfill his political dream. yes its true he is a good boxer and brings glory and honor to our country but he has other ambitions to besides boxing.
  • Salud: There’s evident fraud

By Recah Trinidad
    Philippine Daily Inquirer
    First Posted 03:38:00 03/24/2009

MANILA, Philippines—ABS-CBN Broadcasting Corp. could be liable for fraud in Manny Pacquiao’s failed bid to switch channels in the coverage of his big fight on May 2 against Ricky Hatton, a respected lawyer-sportsman said Monday.

“There was evident tampering of a live contract,” said former Philippine Basketball Association commissioner Rudy Salud, the founding secretary-general of the World Boxing Council.

Told that it was Pacquiao who reportedly approached ABS-CBN in a move to rescind his live contract with Solar Sports, Salud said that did not make the “giant network” less liable.

“They have very strict rules on these contracts, and any move or effort to impair or infringe on them—from either side—is regarded as pure and simple fraud,” Salud explained.

Salud, an original Pacquiao diehard, said what had truly saddened him was the discovery that Pacquiao’s claim of fighting for his people and country was purely incidental in the boxer’s career.

“What surfaced was that Pacquiao’s priority in his big fights was, first and foremost, to earn enormous millions,” Salud rued.

Pacquiao had claimed the video footage where he announced he was joining ABS-CBN was not supposed to be aired last Wednesday.

“Ang sabi ko sa kanila (ABS-CBN) suriin ko muna kontrata ng Solar kung may breach of contract at saka tayo maglabas ng ganyang mga videos (I told them I’ll carefully study first if there’s a breach in my contract with Solar, then that’s when we’ll release the video),” Pacquiao said via phone patch in a press conference Monday at the GMA-7 compound.

“And then sabi nila sa akin, ‘Itatago na lang namin, hindi namin ipapalabas. Gawin mo na lang ito, sabihin namin sa iyo pag ipapalabas namin’ (And then they told me, ‘We’ll just keep it, we won’t air it. Just do this, we’ll tell you when we’ll air it’).”

Solar Sports earlier signed a block-time agreement with GMA-7, ABS-CBN’s fiercest network rival, to telecast the megabuck light welterweight bout with Hatton.

“He was misled,” said Solar Sports chair William Tieng. “I think he was, excuse the expression, taken for a ride, deceived by people close to him. And there’s a lawyer who tried to twist the facts against Solar.”

“Solar is putting all these things behind,” added Tieng.
    With a report from Jasmine W. Payo

=====

I never really believed Manny's posturing that he was in boxing to bring honor to the country. Now he's being revealed for what he is.

It's just pathetic that now he's trying to salvage his honor by pointing fingers, when the buck really stops with him. Sana hindi na lang niya pinagsalita yung lawyer niya yesterday, puro lang naman excuses yung sinabi.
  • natakot lang siguro si mani sa daan daan milyon na pwede idemanda sakanya ng sollar. halatang di nag iisip si mani. may kontrata sa sya sa sollar hanggng 2011 tapos lalapit lapit sya sa abs. tapos gagwa sya ng mga speach na on tv.
  • fenn wrote: »
    Pacman raps ABS-CBN anew

...Pacquiao said he had an agreement with ABS-CBN that the statement on his transfer would not be aired until it has been proven that Solar Sports had committed a breach of contract...

I find Pacquiao's statement incredible. If I were to have a multi-million peso contract reviewed for possible rescission I would keep it highly confidential for fear of a preemptive suit if the contracted party hears about my plan.
  • i dont understand why abs-cbn would be liable if manny himself made the first move, or even if the company initiated the contact. Unless otherwise stated in the contract, I don’t see any legal impediments for a contracted party to seek other interested party for services that are under existing contract. What is not allowed is for a party to sign a new agreement while an existing contract for exactly the same services is still in effect.

As far as i know, contract tampering has to be expressly written, otherwise it is not a valid cause of action. I think salud's line of thinking is coming from his old job where contract tampering is prohibited and explicitly written in the association's constitution and by laws. Just like in the PBA and in most professional sports leagues, contract tampering clause does not need to be written in the individual player's contract. Its quite different in Manny's case. First, he is contracting a service he solely owns and unless prohibited in the contract with Solar, he can seek new contract so long as his actions are not detrimental to the other party or in violitions of the terms of the agreement. Secondly, I don’t think ABS-CBN has a written agreement with GMA and or other rival organizations relating to contract tampering of talents and or of talent services who are under existing contract, similar to those that exist in the PBA.

legolass wrote: »
    Salud: There’s evident fraud

By Recah Trinidad
    Philippine Daily Inquirer
    First Posted 03:38:00 03/24/2009

MANILA, Philippines—ABS-CBN Broadcasting Corp. could be liable for fraud in Manny Pacquiao’s failed bid to switch channels in the coverage of his big fight on May 2 against Ricky Hatton, a respected lawyer-sportsman said Monday.

“There was evident tampering of a live contract,” said former Philippine Basketball Association commissioner Rudy Salud, the founding secretary-general of the World Boxing Council.

Told that it was Pacquiao who reportedly approached ABS-CBN in a move to rescind his live contract with Solar Sports, Salud said that did not make the “giant network” less liable.

“They have very strict rules on these contracts, and any move or effort to impair or infringe on them—from either side—is regarded as pure and simple fraud,” Salud explained.

Salud, an original Pacquiao diehard, said what had truly saddened him was the discovery that Pacquiao’s claim of fighting for his people and country was purely incidental in the boxer’s career.

“What surfaced was that Pacquiao’s priority in his big fights was, first and foremost, to earn enormous millions,” Salud rued.

Pacquiao had claimed the video footage where he announced he was joining ABS-CBN was not supposed to be aired last Wednesday.

“Ang sabi ko sa kanila (ABS-CBN) suriin ko muna kontrata ng Solar kung may breach of contract at saka tayo maglabas ng ganyang mga videos (I told them I’ll carefully study first if there’s a breach in my contract with Solar, then that’s when we’ll release the video),” Pacquiao said via phone patch in a press conference Monday at the GMA-7 compound.

“And then sabi nila sa akin, ‘Itatago na lang namin, hindi namin ipapalabas. Gawin mo na lang ito, sabihin namin sa iyo pag ipapalabas namin’ (And then they told me, ‘We’ll just keep it, we won’t air it. Just do this, we’ll tell you when we’ll air it’).”

Solar Sports earlier signed a block-time agreement with GMA-7, ABS-CBN’s fiercest network rival, to telecast the megabuck light welterweight bout with Hatton.

“He was misled,” said Solar Sports chair William Tieng. “I think he was, excuse the expression, taken for a ride, deceived by people close to him. And there’s a lawyer who tried to twist the facts against Solar.”

“Solar is putting all these things behind,” added Tieng.
    With a report from Jasmine W. Payo

=====

I never really believed Manny's posturing that he was in boxing to bring honor to the country. Now he's being revealed for what he is.

It's just pathetic that now he's trying to salvage his honor by pointing fingers, when the buck really stops with him. Sana hindi na lang niya pinagsalita yung lawyer niya yesterday, puro lang naman excuses yung sinabi.
  • ubermenschubermensch PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    fenn wrote: »

Pacman raps ABS-CBN anew

Gacal added the 30-year-old slugger “admits he is not without fault for this mess” and he was “too trusting and too accommodating, too shy to say no.”

Which is why I don't think he should run for an elective position. He has to be able to make hard decisions. He doesn't seem to be discerning enough.
  • bafanabafana PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Whether it was Pacquio or ABS-CBN made the first move to discuss a prospective transfer is beside the point. Both of them know that Manny has a standing contract with Solar and for Manny himself to entertain ABS-CBN's offer is his decision and his alone. Why blame ABS for the mess that he himself created? If he were not seriously considering the transfer and reneging on his contract with Solar, why bother to talk with ABS. He could have just told Dyan of his contract and plainly say 'No'. But of course, that's not what happened. He even recorded his statement, meaning, he has been a party to it all along. There's no way that Manny can spin this story in his favor. It's just too much of a stretch of the imagination. If I were him, I'll keep my mouth shut and concentrate on training for his Hatton fight.
  • In case you did not know, inquirer.net (sources of Fenn and legolass) is a unit of GMA7, which recently lost PacMan.
    :naughty:
  • I think ABS-CBN is also to blame here because it chose to deal with Manny Pacquiao knowing fully well that he has a valid contract with Solar Sports.

In the pursuit of profits, companies should also know the meaning of business ethics.

ABS-CBN obviously does not know the meaning of business ethics kasi it was a very active and willing participant in this "pang-aagaw" of the Pacquiao-Hatton contract.

ABS-CBN chose to use its might, clout, and sheer size to wrest at all costs the Pacquiao-Hatton fight.

It's a good think Pacquio chose to honor his valid contract with Solar Sports.

Otherwise, it will set a precedent na kung sino ang malakas, ang malaki at ang mayaman ang siyang mananaig. At walang bisa ang mga kontrata at kasunduan kung pera at clout na ang pinag-uusapan.
  • I do not subscribe to blaming anybody. If Solar Sports believes it has a valid contract, they should file a case against PacMan (and they should be very candid about the money they have earned and paid for each PacMan fight they have aired). I understand that until today, Solar Sports has not paid PacMan fully for airing his last three fights, creating the opportunity for ABS-CBN to offer PacMan up-front money that he desires.
    fenn wrote: »
    I think ABS-CBN is also to blame here because it chose to deal with Manny Pacquiao knowing fully well that he has a valid contract with Solar Sports.

In the pursuit of profits, companies should also know the meaning of business ethics.

ABS-CBN obviously does not know the meaning of business ethics kasi it was a very active and willing participant in this "pang-aagaw" of the Pacquiao-Hatton contract.

ABS-CBN chose to use its might, clout, and sheer size to wrest at all costs the Pacquiao-Hatton fight.

It's a good think Pacquio chose to honor his valid contract with Solar Sports.

Otherwise, it will set a precedent na kung sino ang malakas, ang malaki at ang mayaman ang siyang mananaig. At walang bisa ang mga kontrata at kasunduan kung pera at clout na ang pinag-uusapan.
  • I understand that until today, Solar Sports has not paid PacMan fully for airing his last three fights,...:

ito siguro ang dahilan kung bakit sya lumapit sa ABS-CBN.
    ...creating the opportunity for ABS-CBN to offer PacMan up-front money that he desires.

i don't think ABS-CBN offered pacman money with regard to the recent controversy.

it's a known fact that when pacman asked ABS-CBN to beat solar's offer before, the latter did not pursue dahil alam ng ABS-CBN na ridiculous na ang presyong hinihingi ni pacman ---> and i think may connect ito sa sinasabi mong hindi pa fully paid ng solar si pacman in his last three fights. ABS-CBN has foreseen na mukhang pera talaga si pacman at malamang magkakaproblema sila na bayaran si pacman kung sakaling pinatulan nila ang offer-to-beat deal ni pacman before.

as i see it, pacman went to deal with ABS-CBN on his own will and now na nagbabalak magdemanda ang solar, nilinis na agad ni pacman ang sarili nya at the expense of ABS-CBN and his dear friend, d. castillejo...tsk tsk tsk.
  • great job legolass!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file