Home PEx Sports PBA

Why do some PBA Teams employ too many Asst. Coaches?

dodindodin PEx Rookie ⭐
San Miguel has : Jarencio, Abuda, Ravanes,Abanilla
Purefoods has : Magsanoc, Banal, Evangelista, Gallent
Alaska has: Banal, Bachmann, Trillo, Lastimosa, Hawkins

Other teams can make do with 2 or at most 3 Asst coaches and still be effective. The last time Purefoods won a championship, they only had Magsanoc and Banal as Asst. Coaches.

Comments

• aseroasero PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    hindi kasi full-time *** commitment ng mga assistant coaches a mother team nila sa pba...may mga pbl at college teams din sila...just my opinion
  • GunnarGunnar PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Maybe to ease up or decongest some responsibility of the head coach. He needs someone who can specifically set patterns either on defense, strength conditioning, shooting. The head coach can set plays, strategies with the help of his staff. Just like in the nfl
  • itongitong PEx Rookie ⭐
    Even though i know all assistant coaches in the PBA are very capable, i think it's the companies (PBA Teams and coaches) looking out for these guys. Like a personal favor of some sort.
  • pepmanpepman PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Nakalimutan niyo ang TnT, marami ring assistants yan:
    Nash Racela, Aboy Castro, Bong Ravena, Joshua Reyes, and Patrick Fran.
  • ^Onga daw e.. Why do some PBA Teams employ too many Asst. Coaches? yan ang topic, hindi mo naman sinagot e..

Anyway, to answer, hmmn.. I think, okay lang naman siguro kung maraming coaches ang i-hire ng mga teams.. ciempre, parang sa school din yan e.. kelangan ng brainstorming among them.. tsaka, PBA veterans din naman halos (kundi man lahat) yung mga asst coaches e..
  • tama, nde kasi full time yung iba, tapos yng delegation ng work, like kay abuda sa defense sa smb, shooting kay pido, etc. isama mo na utang na loob ng management or head coach dun sa kukuning asst coach.
  • dodin wrote: »
    San Miguel has : Jarencio, Abuda, Ravanes,Abanilla
    Purefoods has : Magsanoc, Banal, Evangelista, Gallent
    Alaska has: Banal, Bachmann, Trillo, Lastimosa, Hawkins

Other teams can make do with 2 or at most 3 Asst coaches and still be effective. The last time Purefoods won a championship, they only had Magsanoc and Banal as Asst. Coaches.

dagdagan pa natin ah...

coca-cola: gerard francisco, will antonio, george ella at bo perasol...
    rain or shine: mike buendia, alex compton at denver lopez (kaka-retire pa lang)....
    burger king: junel baculi, rhoel nadurata and johnny tam
  • James Ty IIIJames Ty III PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Coca-Cola: George Ella and Bo Perasol
    Rain or Shine: Denver Lopez (nag-retire na siya dahil injury-prone siya)
  • Jess24Jess24 PEx Expert 🎖️
    I dont think that there are restrictions on the number of asst coaches employed by a team. In the NBA however, they only allow 3 asst coaches to sit in the bench. In the PBA, I dont think this rule applies since a team like Alasksa for example has 4 asst coaches sitting with Tim Cone in the bench (Jolas, Hawkins, Luigi Trillo and Dickie Bachmann).

On topic: I guess the main reason is division of labor and delegation of specialization. At Ginebra for example, Caidic teaches shooting techniques, Art Dela Cruz focuses on defense and Juno Sauler takes care of the scouting with Coach Jong. On game time, they also have different things to take care of which eases the burden on the coach who can only take so much load especially when the stakes are high on a game.
  • Jay P. MercadoJay P. Mercado Moderator PEx Moderator
    Jess,

Pare, I believe the maximum rule in the PBA for number of assistant coaches seated on the bench is 4. If I recall it right, this rule was imposed just recently - perhaps a season or two ago. Which explained why Roel Nadurata and Rudy Hines were often seen at the first row behind the bench instead of being beside Yeng Guiao (which had Gee Abanilla beside him).

I agree on your second point. The game has evolved so much already that unlike in the 70's and 80's when there was a need for only one assistant coach (Jaworski had Salazar, Black had Pumaren and later Uichico, Canson had Villegas, Narvasa had Rodriguez, Cone had Reyes, Reyes had Narvasa, etc.), premium has been given to specialization where each assistant coach is tagged to handle a specific role for the team. The San Miguel Group, owing to the Ron Jacobs school, may have been the pioneer for this setup - especially when dividing work in terms of offense, defense, shooting, scouting, etc. Note that during Jacobs' time as mentor of NCC, he had a Paul Howard as chief scout, Derrick Pumaren and Pilo Pumaren as his assistants, among others.
  • James Ty IIIJames Ty III PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Jay, the San Miguel-owned teams are now using Jacobs' style of hiring more than one assistant coaches. Even SMB has hired an American -- Alton Lister -- to be an assistant.
  • Jess24Jess24 PEx Expert 🎖️
    JPM - as usual you are right on. Thanks.

The only downside though that I see with asst coaches concentrating on their specialization is that they dont get full mentorship with the head coach and sometimes end-up as "half-baked" coaches. In the old days, the assistant coaches' training was so hands-on because they practically do everything that the head coach does, and knows what the head coach knows. That's why in JPM's example of asst coaches in the '80s, most of these guys turned out to be accomplished coaches in their own right - Chot Reyes, Derrick Pumaren, Jong Uichico, Rino Salazar, Arlene Rodriguez, Chito Narvasa and even guys like Perry Ronquillo, Eric Altamirano.
  • dodindodin PEx Rookie ⭐
    Jess 24 is right, the reason why asst coaches cant bloom anymore is that they only specialize in a certain area. That is why I feel having too many asst coaches can also be of a disadvantange and besides with so many inputs to the head coach, its hard to imagine how the head coach will comprehend and make it all work.
  • para masabing meron trabaho...case in point Alaska..naging asst coach anak ng manager...:lol: keep it in the family
  • ^^ non-sense

on topic:
    kaya maraming asst coaches, for specialization.
    one is assign on offense,defense etc.
  • cuchcuch PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    dodin wrote: »
    Jess 24 is right, the reason why asst coaches cant bloom anymore is that they only specialize in a certain area. That is why I feel having too many asst coaches can also be of a disadvantange and besides with so many inputs to the head coach, its hard to imagine how the head coach will comprehend and make it all work.

kasalanan na ng asst. coach yan kung magspecialize lang sya sa 1 area, dapat may diskarte din sya sa ibang aspect ng coaching kung gusto nya maging headcoach in the future. kaya nga kumukuha yung headcoach ng mga kilala nya para maging staff nya kasi automatic alam na nila ang galaw at isip ng isa't isa wala nang conflict sa styles at appreciated lahat ng input, pansin mo laging magkasama si guiao and nadurata, pag magkaiba na ang thinking ng hc and ng asst nya pinapakawalan na yung asst. like what happend to black and pumaren, black and alfrancis chua( in this case si black ang umalis)
  • progenic wrote: »
    ^^ non-sense

on topic:
    kaya maraming asst coaches, for specialization.
    one is assign on offense,defense etc.

anong specialization ni Trillo?

kung hinde anak ng manager yan walang kukuhang asst coach sa PBA dyan :lol:
  • ^^
    xempre kahit papano may i-aasign si coach tim jan...
    and malamang top secret yun.
    kaya wala sa atin ang makaka alam for the improvement of every team yun.

pedeng taga scout ng rookie, or taga check ng stats.:) dba pede naman yun.hehehe
  • ahockahock PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    bakit si Joel Banal ba di na asst coach? or nakalimutan nyo lang
  • KG21KG21 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Kagabi nga eh, sandamukal ang coaching staff ng purefoods...samantalang si RG...sitting pretty lang dun sa kakaayos ng hair niya!