COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

For Medicine FEU-NRMF or UE-RMMC?

tyler_scityler_sci Member PExer
what's a better med school??

Comments

• dikonaalamdikonaalam the prince of nursing PExer
    tyler_sci wrote: »
    what's a better med school??

I think, doctors/aspiring physicians/med students will agree that it's not the school that will make you a good doctor, it's still up to you. This is based on an internet community for MD's and MD-wannabe that I've recently joined. Well, it's also a fact that a school CAN be a factor, let's say for international linkages, alumni presence, etc.

So, for your question, I would say that BOTH schools are good. Let me tell you why:

FEU-NRMF
    -consistent high passing rates
    -with consistent topnotchers
    -excellent facilities, hospital affiliations
    -international affiliations
    -strong alumni presence
    -good reputation
    -excellent faculty

UERM
    -consistent high passing rate
    -with consistent topnotchers
    -excellent facilities, hospital affiliations
    -international affiliations
    -strong alumni presence
    -good reputation
    -excellent faculty

haha. Amazing isn't it?

But here's what I think can make you decide:

FEU uses traditional style of teaching, which means it's the usual lecture, quizzes, exams, didactic, etc

UERM uses (i think) mixed traditional and PBL, which means aside from the usual lecture, students will be presented a clinical case, in which they have to study, and incorporate the basic medical sciences and clinical sciences to come up with a diagnosis, intervention, treatment, etc.

FEU is located in FARview, i mean Fairview, so if its not convenient for you to commute/drive/live within this area, then choose UERM, which is located in Sta. Mesa Manila.

God Bless and you may have to clarify some facts that I've posted because I may be wrong!
  • Amazing_WarriorAmazing_Warrior BOMBA UE! PExer
    Here we go again. Hehehe
    Here we go again. Hehehe

I do recognize that this thread may start another argument from both school. But I think the more mature students from both school will refrain from doing this, and even more, those who are in med school and the practicing physicians. They do recognize that there is a shortage of doctors in our country that's why they do not encourage school criticism but encourage those aspiring physicians to just do their best to be a good doctor.

So, if its not against the rules here on PEx, I would like those aspiring physician to please visit http://pinoy.md/ and click on community > medical school and internship. I believe you're with me on uplifting our health care delivery.

Its about time t

God Bless!
  • mandrakes_2006mandrakes_2006 Altered Sensorium PExer
    i dunno sa ibang school. FEU-NRMF is a very, very tough school! dito ko lang nalaman real meaning ng "TOXIC!"
    but quality education talaga, matutuo kang mag-aral, hindi spoon feeding;)

most of all survival of the fittest... hindi naman sa tinatakot kita, in our batch, 300+ regular nung first year... pag-dating ng 3rd year, i think 80+ (~26%) nalang ang umabot ng "regular". Then ~74% dun kick-out, may binagsak, o nag-quit.
    too bad kabilang ako dun sa 74%:(

pero happy ako dito ako nag-aral. no regrets at all!
  • ampalaya_pieampalaya_pie Member PExer
    where r u now mandrakes 2006? i used to study in feu-nrmf insitute of medicine too...fortunately/unfortunately im no longer there anymore. unfortunately-because i wasted time, money and effort. Fortunately-because i found a better medschool where my efforts are being rewarded and even more happier with the kind of environment im having right now.
    p.s. i didnt transfer in beda or fatima :)
  • mandrakes_2006mandrakes_2006 Altered Sensorium PExer
    where r u now mandrakes 2006? i used to study in feu-nrmf insitute of medicine too...fortunately/unfortunately im no longer there anymore. unfortunately-because i wasted time, money and effort. Fortunately-because i found a better medschool where my efforts are being rewarded and even more happier with the kind of environment im having right now.

struggling med student parin sa FEU.

;)
  • where r u now mandrakes 2006? i used to study in feu-nrmf insitute of medicine too...fortunately/unfortunately im no longer there anymore. unfortunately-because i wasted time, money and effort. Fortunately-because i found a better medschool where my efforts are being rewarded and even more happier with the kind of environment im having right now.

hi ampalaya_pie! congrats to you! i also want to ask kung saang med school ka nag transfer if not sa San Beda or sa Fatima? :)
  • voltaire_madvoltaire_mad Demented PExer
    Both Med Schools are good. Have had friends and colleagues who are graduates of these schools and they are great.

But dikonaalam did mention some prime differences in the method of teaching:

FEU NRMF=traditional
    UERM=mix traditional and Problem based learning

Plus of course, the location. Medyo lamang ang UE sa accessibility sa main throughfare. FEU kasi medyo tago.
  • eveRythingeveRything Member PExer
    i'm biased against FEU med. mainly because my past experiences with FEU hospital and its residents was nothing but horrific. Never really trusted any of their residents, i always get a second opinion from another hospitable whenever i have myself checked up there (it's near our place) and madalas, it proved to be a good decision. my experience with UE doctors, however, are pleasant to say the least.
  • meteorcatchermeteorcatcher UE FIGHT! PEx Expert 🎖️
    Aside from the facts presented by Dikonaalam, UE College of Medicine has a Level III PAASCU accredited program - The first and only private Medical School with a PAASCU Accredited Program.

UERM College of Medicine is also recognized as a Center of Excellence in Research by the Department of Science and Technology.
  • coloradocolorado OTRP, OTR PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Anymore input, guys? :)
  • zpczpc Member PExer
    ^kwento ko nalang ang ginagawa ng 1st yr sa FEU-NRMF
    wala akong idea sa UERMMC
    -1st week: orientation sa mga subjects, may lecture na din pero feeling mo parang undergrad lang

-come 3rd week magkakaroon na ng shifting exams
    *shifting exams are 25-40item (usually 30-items) tests covering 3-4chapters of the each subject done at lunchtime. In first year shifting exams occur 2-3x a week(pero minsan may pagkakataon na everyday of the week meron shiftings)

-sa physiology ang lab part niya ay usually SGD o small group discussion. the dept will distribute 10-15questions related to the topic being discussed in class. you go inside a room with your assigned group and a doctor will ask each one to answer the questions.

-sa biochem may usual reporting about clinical diseases related biochem.

-sa anatomy(gross and micro) meron ding practical exams
    ex: sa bawat lalagyan ng cadaver meron questions
    1) identify red pin, 2) identify green pin
    tapos after 20-30seconds lilipat ka sa ibang lalagyan ng cadaver tapos may mga tanong ulit na ganun.
    Thanks for the input. Parang college din pala, meron shifting exams, SGD in Physio, Prax in Anatomy [the buzzer beater, cadavers], etc.

Plano ko rin mag-apply sa FEU-NRMF, dahil malapit lang 'to sa house namin.

By the way, meron ba sila NMAT cut off or required GWA? Magkano naman yun tuition fee? :)
  • kikay100kikay100 Member PExer
    In FEU's admission criteria, 70% is given to General Weighted Average (GWA from Pre Med course), 20% for NMAT, and 10% for the interview.

Aside from the admission criteria, FEU also considers an applicant's pre med course and the school where he or she came from.

Tuition fee is around 90k/sem, excluding books
    Thank you. :D I also read that info here... http://aubreythinksthat.blogspot.com. If you don't mind, are you the owner of the blog?

Wala kasi nakalagay na NMAT cut-off score and required GWA sa FEU-NRMF website, or wala lang talaga? :D
  • kikay100kikay100 Member PExer
    Nope. Im not the owner of the blog.but aubrey is a medstudent. I think you need to inquire or call FEU-Institute of Medicine regarding NMAT pero yung regarding the criteria yan po ang sinusunod nila. hndi ko sure kung tinaasan nila ang NMAT score.
    Aubrey is the owner of the blog. She's a graduate of FEU nursing and topped the NLE. She's a batchmate of mine.

OnT: I think FEU's cut-off is below 50..I'm just not sure what the exact figure is. But given the admission criteria, I know some that got into the program with a considerably low NMAT score. They weigh you GWA more than your NMAT. But of course staying in the program is a totally different thing.
  • extranjeroextranjero Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Aside from the facts presented by Dikonaalam, UE College of Medicine has a Level III PAASCU accredited program - The first and only private Medical School with a PAASCU Accredited Program.

UERM College of Medicine is also recognized as a Center of Excellence in Research by the Department of Science and Technology.

nagsisimula pa lang kasi ang accreditation ng med schools, in fact, UP ata ang pinaka-unang na accredit. but this doesn't mean UST, FEU and others are inferior... sooner or later maaaccredit din sila...

both schools are superb. pili ka na lang in terms of tuition fee, mga kakilala, methods of teaching, place and lastly (and should be the very least of your consideration) whom do you want to associate with (warriors or tamaraw!)...
  • where r u now mandrakes 2006? i used to study in feu-nrmf insitute of medicine too...fortunately/unfortunately im no longer there anymore. unfortunately-because i wasted time, money and effort. Fortunately-because i found a better medschool where my efforts are being rewarded and even more happier with the kind of environment im having right now.

so you transferred to UERM eh?

i know some freshmen students in FEU-NRMF who transferred to UERM on second year back in 2002 (no need to mention names). Unless you are really matalino, earned a TOPS award or a cum laude in you pre-med.
  • greenkelvingreenkelvin Member PExer
    Hello! How's the process of admission in FEU-NRMF? What is the required NMAT score for me to get accepted to their program? Thank you! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file