Home PEx Sports The NCAA Tourney

boxing in NCAA?

San Beda rector wants boxing in NCAA
Updated March 19, 2009 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Amatuer boxing may be included in the roster of events in the next season of the National Collegiate Athletic Association.

Incoming league president San Beda rector Fr. Mat de Jesus, OSB, yesterday bared this plan as they gear up for the hosting of the 85th NCAA season unfolding in June.

“We will strongly consider introducing boxing in the NCAA,” de Jesus told The STAR. “There’s no opposition to it and we do have a chance at the Olympic gold in boxing, so amateur sports associations like the NCAA must support it.”

But de Jesus said it would need the approval of the NCAA Policy Board composed of eight school heads and presidents when it convenes this summer.

“It would definitely need policy board approval, we’ll see what happens this summer,” said de Jesus.

The move was in line with the Amateur Boxing Association of the Philippines’ thrust of strengthening its grassroots with the absolute goal of capturing the country’s first Olympic gold in the 2012 London Games.

SBP executive director Ed Picson said NCAA’s recent move would be a big boost to the sport if it turns out successful.

He said he first broached the same idea to Management Committee member Fr. Vic Calvo, OP, of Letran years ago but it is only now that it finally came to fore through San Beda’s initiative. – Joey Villar

courtesy of philstar.com

Comments

• Exciting sigurado pag me boxing sa NCAA. I think patok ito same as the Basketball. Blockbuster yan maraming manonood.
  • Feeling ko closed-doors match yan, sigurado may mag-babanatan sa stands pag may natalo. At siyempre, may pustahan pa yan. :boxing: :laugh:
  • me point ka pareng altarboy, malamang outside the venue me boxing din pagkatapos, hehehehehe:lol:
  • Makikinabang nga ang ABAP, pero mas makikinabang ang mga sugarol. :naughty: :glee:

But seriously, the grassroots program is ok but the long-term damage brought about by head injuries might have an effect on a student-athlete's studies. But that's just me. :D
  • knowing SBC a lot, ang masasabi ko lang kay Fr. De Jesus bago siya magisip ng ganyan he should think of helping SBC's other sports bago siya tumulong sa ABAP. our very own lady spikers don't have scholarships and allowances pa nga eh.

Ginawa na raw yan ng UAAP and NCAA during 50's but it was stopped din agad daw.
  • Makikinabang nga ang ABAP, pero mas makikinabang ang mga sugarol. :naughty: :glee:

But seriously, the grassroots program is ok but the long-term damage brought about by head injuries might have an effect on a student-athlete's studies. But that's just me. :D
    well lahat naman ng sports meron risk for injuries
    even sa chess puedeng magkaroon ng psychological
    or mental illness ang isang player. sa ibang physical
    sports puede rin magka injury.
    sa boxing among other sports lang tayo may higher
    chance maging champion. mataas ang chance
    compared to other sports.
  • Well I haven't heard of a chess player running amok or getting some serious concussions.

But we are talking about head injuries, think of the Great Muhammad Ali with Parkinson's Disease for instance. Or that great fighter from down south who became deranged and a nuisance to society. These are both physical and psychological damages inflicted upon boxing athletes. If we are to produce Manny Pacquiaos for the upliftment of the sport then it's a great idea, but I'm just thinking of their careers down the line when they can't make the cut for the national team. And of course, the gambling lords having a heyday again since basketball is the one sport that is tainted with gambling odds. What more if we added boxing? :D
  • ^ Injuries are not as prevalent in amateur boxing as boxers wear head gears, use bigger or more padded gloves, engage in fewer rounds, standing 8 counts are in effect, etc.
  • Boxing is as dangerous as basketball and I don't think it's a good idea to include the former in the NCAA. Another thing is that boxing may spawn evils in the league as the big bosses may try to capitalize more on this "feasible" sport. If the inclusion of boxing in the NCAA pushes through, then I think a mismatch among teams may happen and the Letranites (and their supporters) will be the heavy favorites in this sport. No wonder Manong Ed seems to be elated by the proposal. :D
  • Yes yes yes.

It will help the Sport and the athletes.

Bakit ba maraming nagboboxing? Kasi wala daw sila makain, ginagawa nilang hanapbuhay. Nagboboxing na lang kesa mag-aral.

Kung ilalagay mo yan sa kalendaryo ng mga collegiate leagues, imbes na gamitin nilang escape sa kahirapan ang boxing, gamitin na lang para makakuha ng scholarship sa at possibly makatapos at magkadegree. Hindi naman lahat ng boksingero magiging Pacquiao, successful sa career di naman nakapagaral. Ay, doktor nga pala yun!

Kung maisipan man nilang magpropesyunal, ala basketball pagkatapos ng college career, nakapagamateur muna sila at ang mga standout, pwede mo ipadala sa international competition. Nasan ba yung mga may potensyal na boxer? Nasa pro, e di sana napakinabangan muna ng bansa bago sila nagpro kung may magandang amateur program.

Sana lang bigyan ng kanya kanyang short ng mga eskwela.
  • ang saya-saya nito :bounce:

sana sa UAAP meron din. para di sila madaig MMA daw :lol:
  • Boxing is a full contact sports, baka hindi maapprove ng mancom, hehehehe, but i think its an amateur brand of officiating with full safety gear and up to 3 rounds only.

But in a bright side, boxing is one of the sport that filipino can compete in the world coz of weight class, maybe this will bring us the first gold in the olympics, from NCAA school pa. Abay we are very proud of that if it happen.

Kulang lang sa support e, no government support sa sports, meron man kulang. We are always focusing on basketball na we know that no chance in the near future to win the gold in World Basketball or Olympics.

Baseball and Soccer pwede rin tayo, now our ASEAN neighbor countries are competing in this sports in the world and play competitive. They have a players in MLB and Premiership and Spanish League.
  • kung mayroong boxing.....mas maganda isama na din yung MMA..mas exciting toh, mas malakas sa pustahan..hehe
  • Pag nag ka MMA...

Next level na NCAA... hehehehe
  • etsok21 wrote: »
    Boxing is a full contact sports, baka hindi maapprove ng mancom, hehehehe, but i think its an amateur brand of officiating with full safety gear and up to 3 rounds only.

oo nga, puede naman i-enforce yung olympic boxing rules.

masaya dito pag naglaban ang sbc at csjl. 2007 encore.
  • Well I haven't heard of a chess player running amok or getting some serious concussions.

hindi ka pa siguro nakakakita ng mga nagkakapikunan dahil hindi matalo yung kalaban sa chess. pati miron nakikisali sa away, hehe.
  • testingin daw muna sa mga alumni!
    atleast wala ng basagan ng kotse!
    hehehe

But we are talking about head injuries, think of the Great Muhammad Ali with Parkinson's Disease for instance. Or that great fighter from down south who became deranged and a nuisance to society. These are both physical and psychological damages inflicted upon boxing athletes. If we are to produce Manny Pacquiaos for the upliftment of the sport then it's a great idea, but I'm just thinking of their careers down the line when they can't make the cut for the national team. And of course, the gambling lords having a heyday again since basketball is the one sport that is tainted with gambling odds. What more if we added boxing? :D

brother baka sa dami ng consecutive losses sa chess match, ma-depress at isipin na bobo siya. Ayun nasira ulo at nabaliw.:rotflmao:
  • iyurts wrote: »
    testingin daw muna sa mga alumni!
    atleast wala ng basagan ng kotse!
    hehehe

tol pwede ba tag team. Kukunin ko si Apepe para KO kagad.
  • barbero wrote: »
    hindi ka pa siguro nakakakita ng mga nagkakapikunan dahil hindi matalo yung kalaban sa chess. pati miron nakikisali sa away, hehe.

My mother was a member of the Philippine Team in Chess (varsity player for UE, panahon ni Jawo). God knows how crazy she was when she was still alive but I guess she didn't go stark raving mad when she loses and she only punishes me when I lose either by tongue-lashing and tsinelas (very effective but my chess IQ didn't improve :lol:). Although I hear Eugene Torre and some players do have some unusual quirks like the late Bobby Fisher. Oh yeah, my brother bubuyog plays chess but he's not about to unleash hell upon worthy opponents. :smokin:

My mom's brother and my uncle is still alive and he's still making the rounds playing street chess in Luneta or somewhere the chess sharks can make a killing in Manila. He even went home wearing an LSGH chess varsity jacket (probably won that from the juniors coach). He just goes home drunk I guess. Self-esteem issues? There are a lot of them. But going nuts and planning a killing spree? I'll ask my uncle first. He's probably lived too many times to tell the tales or he has a lot of "resbak mirons". :glee:

RedRidingDragon - Unless I can see a decent survey of chess players' (besides their unusual habits and lifestyles) psyche, I will choose to differentiate their psychological conditions from boxing athletes. :D