COMMUNITY NOTICE: Please send your reports, concerns and other inquiries to admin "pexer99". This account will handle all community functions for PinoyExchange. You can also email us at [email protected] For category related concerns, you can also send a message to one of our moderators. Check the updated list of moderators here.

Law School @ Malcolm Hall

Guys, I'm about to enter UP Law this coming June. I'm on vacation. Got nothing to do. What are your words of advice? I want to be prepared. Thanks.

Comments

• KirkegaardKirkegaard Member ✭✭✭
    I really suggest that you guys enjoy your summer first. But if you insist, I guess you can start by reading Critical Reading (I'll ask my blockmates who the author is :lol:). It was the first thing our Constitutional Law professor required us to read.
  • judge_ojojudge_ojo Member PExer
    can u get the author please? i'm aiming for opf... hehehh...
    Unfortunately, the people whom I asked no longer remember the name of the author of the article. And I don't know where my course outline in Consti Law is. Besides, I think you need Westlaw subscription to gain access to it. So, sorry. Just read Bernas's Consti book, and Reyes's Crim Law book. They're the staples - at least to some professors. :lol:

Anyway, what your grades will look like will greatly depend on who your professors are. I always tell people that chance favors the prepared mind, but in this regard, you can only do so much since the College will do the assigning of professors for you. Then again, if you excel in class, I guess the gods of the law school (read: professors) will have mercy and give you a good grade.

What I can share with you, however, are some of the "little" things (some professors like nitpicking, you see) I learned from the Dean:

1. Stand up as quickly as you can when called to recite. Only sit down when the professor tells you to.

2. Speak clearly and audibly.

3. Don't laugh or smile while reciting.

4. Never cut the professor short while he's talking. Let him finish before you speak.

5. During exams, write legibly. And don't forget the margins.

6. Forget about the second person. Take the word "You" out of your dictionary - at least while in class. ;)
    thanks, kierkegaard! i'll keep those in mind!
  • neinsagerneinsager Member ✭✭✭
    Kirkegaard wrote: »
    Anyway, what your grades will look like will greatly depend on who your professors are. I always tell people that chance favors the prepared mind, but in this regard, you can only do so much since the College will do the assigning of professors for you. Then again, if you excel in class, I guess the gods of the law school (read: professors) will have mercy and give you a good grade.

de-blocked na tayo next school year diba? o di kasama freshmen dun?

@TS: napaka-driven mo naman. di pa tapos first sem OPF na kaagad iniisip mo haha. usually 2nd year na lumalabas yung list. pero tama yan, aim high. pero hinay lang. medyo short term goals muna.

anyway sa tingin ko, kung anuman yung dapat mong maging preparation for law school, nagawa mo na by now. study habits, time management skills, sorting out of priorities, etc. yun yung importante eh. of course, you know na hindi nadadaan ng isang summer yan.

siguro pwede mong ifamiliarize yung sarili mo sa mga basic concepts ng law by reading the textbooks in advance. however, i don't think it's possible for any student to fully appreciate many legal concepts without input from classmates and professors, which is possible in the context of a classroom recitation/discussion. otherwise, we'll all just read at home and show up at exams, and we'll still do well. but that's not the way it works, hehe. also by the time na inassign sa inyo ulet yung textbook, you will have probably have to read it again, now in light of jurisprudence and input from your classmates and professors. so the effort is duplicated. and that's assuming that you get the correct textbook (i.e. the one that your professor will assign).

having said that, i say that you enjoy your summer vacation to the fullest. get a foot spa, attend a yoga class, watch tv series that you've always wanted to watch but didn't have the time, etc. things that months from now, you will wish that you can devote more time for (other than studying, which people in law school almost always don't have enough time for, despite their best efforts).
    de-blocked na daw lahat except *** 1st year.

anyways, here are my reasons for advanced reading:

1. la pa ako masyadong ginagawa this summer. when i get bored, i take one of my law books and read. na-eenjoy ko naman ang ginagawa ko so la namang problema. i dont pressure myself to read them when i dont want to. anyways, i still have time for hiking and other activities. gotta try that zipline thingy on saturday!

2. mastery ang habol ko and one of the ways i can do that is through familiarizing the concepts as early as possible. im not worrying whether there will come a time in w/c i will do the same efforts or not. the important is, i'm able to master the concepts as much as possible. substantial, but not absolute mastery, is acceptable.

dont worry guys, i still make sure that enjoyment and pleasure this summer will not be compromised! :)
    got another query => how important is a lap top in this school?
  • luna_cyro16luna_cyro16 Member PExer
    what's opf? :lol: ilang araw ko na inisipan ng ibig sabihin pero di ko talaga mahulaan haha
    @neinsager

Ang alam ko, yung mga freshman may blocks pa din. Ang di lang sure kung yung upperclassmen tatanggalan na din. Pero ang lungkot naman kung tatanggalin ang freshman blocks. For one, pano na yung support system? Second, pano yung Freshman Night/Week? :lol:

Anyway, baka hindi pa ma-implement dahil wala pa namang system kung pano ang registration, etc. Unless, of course, the Dean has come up with one, or will be able to do so over the summer. Di na kasi namin prof si Dean, so we're not privy to, or we don't have advance knowledge of, the goings-on in the College. I guess that's one of the perks of having the Dean as professor. :lol:

@luna
    Order of the Purple Feather - the College's honor society. Think US/CS. ;)
  • laofutze88laofutze88 Member PExer
    Kirkegaard, 1C ka ba? Kayo lang naman ng 1A ang under kay Dean eh.
    judge_ojo wrote: »
    got another query => how important is a lap top in this school?

I use a laptop in all my classes. Magastos magpaxerox and I am an environmental advocate. If you want to do advance reading, I can lend you my insataller para sa lahat ng Philippine cases from 1900 to 2007.

Btw, sa evening ka ba o sa day? I think Kirkegaard is from day dahil kay tungkol kay dean yung ikwinento nya. Iba kasi professors sa evening eh.
    evening daw ako sabi ng parents ko pero limited lang ang slots so im not sure if matutuloy ako sa evening or not... heheh...

my dad has SCRA books. are you talking about these or what?
    evening daw ako sabi ng parents ko pero limited lang ang slots so im not sure if matutuloy ako sa evening or not... heheh...

Yeah, but SCRA started publishing cases, 1960s yata. . Im not sure. Lagot ako kay Prof. Santos, nakalimutan ko. haha. At ang hirap maghanap ng case ha. Kung makakapagprovide ka na agad ng cert of employment, well, guaranteed na yung slot mo sa E.
    Kirkegaard wrote: »
    @neinsager

Ang alam ko, yung mga freshman may blocks pa din. Ang di lang sure kung yung upperclassmen tatanggalan na din. Pero ang lungkot naman kung tatanggalin ang freshman blocks. For one, pano na yung support system? Second, pano yung Freshman Night/Week?

Anyway, baka hindi pa ma-implement dahil wala pa namang system kung pano ang registration, etc. Unless, of course, the Dean has come up with one, or will be able to do so over the summer. Di na kasi namin prof si Dean, so we're not privy to, or we don't have advance knowledge of, the goings-on in the College. I guess that's one of the perks of having the Dean as professor.

@luna
    Order of the Purple Feather - the College's honor society. Think US/CS.

di ko masasabing mas maganda yung naka-block system pero gusto ko talaga siya ma-try kasi nga naman wala namang solid block system sa UP di ba? may block nga pero di naman kayo classmates lahat..

ohh..sabi ko na di ko mahuhulaan eh :confused: hmm so panu makapasok dito? kasi gusto ko din ganun :lol: kasi ngaung undergrad eh once lang ako na-CS..i sooo am changing my study habits na haha

tsaka pala sabe saken sa OCS, deadline of the TOR, birth certificate, is on april 30..makukuha ko kea TOR by april 30, eh april 26 ang graduation? pero nakapagpass naman na ako ng letter of intent eh..
    laofutze88 wrote: »
    I use a laptop in all my classes. Magastos magpaxerox and I am an environmental advocate. If you want to do advance reading, I can lend you my installer para sa lahat ng Philippine cases from 1900 to 2007.

Btw, sa evening ka ba o sa day? I think Kirkegaard is from day dahil kay tungkol kay dean yung ikwinento nya. Iba kasi professors sa evening eh.

where can i get a similar installer? :D

where are SCRA books available? meron ba nito sa national? medyo nakakahilo kasi basahin yung titles ng law books eh so i dont think i've seen them in national..

tsaka i've tried searching for your munneke book at national and wala sila copy..san ka nakabili?
  • neinsagerneinsager Member ✭✭✭
    ^ sa central nabibili ng scra. the entire set is around 520k. that covers cases from 1960-2008. a new volume is published every few months. for older cases, there's the philippine reports, which is another set. so almost no one owns casebooks. they're too expensive for students. professors tell us that the library used to be very crowded back in the day because everyone read the cases straight from the casebooks. hindi naman pwedeng iuwi yung scra volumes. so agawan talaga. almost no one does this anymore. may xerox na eh. and mahirap magbasa ng galing sa scra mismo kasi tatalon-talon ka from one volume to another. hindi mo rin madadala sa klase kasi ang bibigat. pag xeroxed cases, usually naka-ayos na yan sa order ng course outline. ise-stapler mo na lang.

yung installer nabibili yan sa rex. at the start of every semester, may nagtitinda sa tapat ng library ng mga books. dun nabibili yung cd. lahat ng supreme court cases nandun na from 1901-2007 daw sabi ni laofutze88. pero yung edition ko hanggang may 2006 lang eh hehe. i seldom use it though. it's difficult because in the cd, the cases are arranged by dates while most profs use scra or philippine reports citations. so unless you know the date, it's not very useful. meron din yung lex libris. cd asia naman ang may gawa nyan. madali syang gamitin because it has a search engine. pero mahal sya, even the student edition. pwede nang pambili ng cellphone.

also, most cases are already in the internet. there's lawphil, which pretty much has everything. the best internet resource is of course the supreme court website. it's straight from the source. it's the most updated one. they have cases from 1996-present. if you're old school like me though, you really don't want to read from a computer screen. i use electronic resources only when writing a paper or making digests, or if it's a very recent case that it's not even in the casebooks yet.

you will learn all about it in legal bibliography.
    Wag niyo na munang isipin yang ADAPT, ang batch na namin ang bahala diyan. And regarding SCRA, everyone I know uses photocopies, not softcopies. But using the latter might be more environment-friendly, so by all means. Pero kumukuha lang din kami sa net kapag very recent yung case at wala pa sa SCRA.
    wow ang bilis niyo magreply :rotflmao:

uso pa naman ngayon yung photocopy buong libro, pati cover :lol: mapapadali ang buhay..i use references kasi depending on my mood, minsan nasa mood ako gumamit ng softcopy at tumanganga sa harap ng screen buong gabi..pero minsan i prefer to use photocopies or books..kaya i need both lol

san nakakabili ng lex libris? okay lang yun kahit mahal..palamunin naman ako eh haha bad...

gusto ko talaga ng SCRA and philippine reports sets :bonkself: collection ba? :lol:
    Yung installer ko, pirated. haha.

Wag mo na hintayin yung graduation mo. Magpass ka na ng True Copy of Grades in lieu of a TOR. To follow na lang yung TOR. Kelangan pa kasi pirmahan ng admission committee yung mga credentials mo.
    ahh..hindi kasi nilinaw nung nag-receive ng letter ko..basta ok lang daw na to follow at kahit after april 30 na kasi nga graduating ako..labo :confused:

san merong pirated? at magkano? :lol: hala in violation of the intellectual propoerty rights :bonkself:

anyways, i may be crazy pero i cant wait to call the other side of sunken as my home haha other side of sunken kasi AS ako galing haha tsaka parang at home ako sa environment sa law..kahit sa lib..di ** ganun ka-overwhelming like main lib..but still andun parin yung overwhelming feeling na "omg! im gonna go here next sem?!" :lol:
    luna, hiniram ko lang kasi *** book na yun kaya di ko alam kung saan un binili eh. heheh...

btw, *** lex libris ba worth it kung bibilhin? *** student ed kasi 1-2k pero kulang2x daw. *** complete set naman ay 20k.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file