Home PEx Lifestyle Health and Wellness

Torn ACL

Hello people, Can someone answer my ques.? I tore my ACL and meniscus ligament on my left knee last Nov. 1999, I had to undergo a reconstructive surgery to repair it. Then therapy continued, however, it won't work. Meaning no matter how I try, I can't get back my total flexion in the left knee which is 135 degrees, I can only do 90. Is there a possibility that the surgery went awry? You see two screws were inserted inside my knee to repair it. I researched the net and found out that while it is normal procedure, the screws would have to be taken out after a certain period. However, my doc insists that it will remain there forever and there is no need to take it out. I suspect that that is the cause I can't achieve full flexion. Maybe the screws are blocking something inside? Pls. comment anybody. Should I go get a 2nd opinion?

Comments

• IraIra PEx Rookie ⭐
    There are different types of ACL tears, depending on location. It's impossible to give you any medical advice because advice would be dependent on your physical exam, pre- and post-op MRIs/x-rays as well as knowing exactly what kind of procedure and pins were inserted. Do ask for a second opinion, though, if you feel shortchanged or if you feel your physician isn't being upfront about your case.
  • Dude, I had ACL surgery about two years ago. How have you been undergoing therapy. There are two schools of thought when it comes to post-op physical therapy of ACL reconstructions. One, is that therapy should be started right after surgery (you wake up from surgery in a ROM machine that flexes and extends your knee for you. The other is that you wait until the swelling goes down and after a month, you start your therapy. Either way, the strength of the graft will be the same after a year. I think you just need more PT for your knee. Flexibility exercises and such. good luck!
  • Originally posted by poisoncharm
    However, my doc insists that it will remain there forever and there is no need to take it out. I suspect that that is the cause I can't achieve full flexion. Maybe the screws are blocking something inside? Pls. comment anybody. Should I go get a 2nd opinion?

Dr. Ira is right. We need to see that through some radiologic tests. I can't comment either in as much as I want to say something concerning that as well.

Though you have mentioned "maybe the screws are blocking something inside" :eek: It is best to see the surgeon who did that to you.

However, I noticed that from your language alone, you know your KINESIOLOGY. Are you a PT? :smokin: