Home PEx Lifestyle Food and Drinks

Bakin' Bread

Any PEXers here who bake? I'm thinking of making it a pastime. We don't have much of baking equipments, just an oven/cooker they bought on a whim. On my first pay I'll prolly buy the basics, like a rolling pin and a hand mixer/egg beater; I'm working on a low budget.

I'd rather ask guidance from someone with experience, but if none maybe an online guide or a cheap "Baking For Dummies" can prolly come in handy. Currently I'm interested in making croissants, but if that can't be done without the basic then I'll prolly work it out from there. Also, I'd like to try out ensaymada.

Oh, and do I need to get sum Solar Gauntlets? (´・ω・`)

Comments

• GilmoreGalGilmoreGal PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    i'm no bread baking expert. But a little advice, croissants/danishes (laminated doughs) are pretty much for the intermediate and advance already and its very hard to do in a very hot/humid climate (unless you have air conditioned workplace).

I think you could start off with basic white bread
  • juliusbornejuliusborne PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Figured as much. We do have an air-conditioned room here. I did read in an entry that croissant dough is chilled. I wonder why, I haven't seen any explanation as to why. Would you happen to know why? Most breads I know require a temperate area. Well, local based breads, at least.
  • BeerhandBopBeerhandBop PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    "Figured as much. We do have an air-conditioned room here. I did read in an entry that croissant dough is chilled. I wonder why, I haven't seen any explanation as to why. Would you happen to know why? Most breads I know require a temperate area. Well, local based breads, at least."

allow me to answer:

main ingredients of things like croissants is... BUTTER. warm temprature == melted butter. ruins the dough. the butter is what produces the flakiness. :)

it's a basic of dough making, really. another reason why you never use your hands on pastry dough. :) your hands are too warm, and melts the butter.
  • Ice BurnIce Burn PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Croissants and Ensaymadas are a bit difficult to make especially if it's your first time baking bread. It takes practice to perfect the layering. You can try the recipes available online. Some even have step by-step video instructions which will show you how to do them.

I would suggest starting off with pandesal as it's easy to make.
  • Try to start with flat breads (breads without yeast) or maybe banana bread (something you can mix together and bake straight away). just to get the hang of it.

Try to read some books, and visit some websites, for baking terms. you may encounter some terminologies when looking up a recipe.

visit www.baking911.com, a good reference for anyone who's into baking *okay*

Be sure to brush up on your conversion skills as well (metric - english, vice versa) measurements are critical in baking.

baking is not my favorite but, once you do it right, it's really fun *okay*
    another reason why you never use your hands on pastry dough. :) your hands are too warm, and melts the butter.

Anybody knows how I can get sum North Pole Hands? (´・ω・`) So what should I use in this instance?
    Ice Burn wrote: »
    Croissants and Ensaymadas are a bit difficult to make especially if it's your first time baking bread.

I thought ensaymadas are made like other regular breads, adding the necessities, grated cheese/margarine and sugar, on top.
  • GilmoreGalGilmoreGal PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    ^^ look through ensaymada recipes, it calls for a lot of butter or margarine. I think you even have to roll the dough in a "buttered" surface + brush the dough with butter as you roll/coil it. So its very oily as you handle the dough
    Oh yeah, now that you mention it. It's been so long since I've had the chance to eat or even see an ensaymada. No one seems to sell them around here anymore, and the only ones I see are the ones in the malls, with only the grated cheese on top. This is one of the reasons why I'm trying to take up baking as a pastime. If they won't make it I'm gonna have to make one myself.
  • BeerhandBopBeerhandBop PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    "nybody knows how I can get sum North Pole Hands? (´・ω・`) So what should I use in this instance?"

may metal na spatula na gamit po. :)