Home PEx Business and Careers The Working Filipino
COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

Kasangguni ng SAP | SAP Consultants

tophe_17tophe_17 PExer
edited June 2019 in The Working Filipino
SAP -- Systems, Applications and Products in Data Processing

So this will be the thread for SAP consultants and those who are soon-to-be SAP consultants -- let's share here what we know about SAP, business processes per modules, implementation and support experiences, SAP companies and education partners, SAP career opportunities, system development, SAP IMG, and all other things that evolve in the "small world of SAP".

SAP, we're gonna be...
The ERP of the Century...

*okay*

Comments

• That was a quick response bro! Hands-down! *okay*

In my consulting experience, i was able to develop the ability to "throw the questions back to the users", if they have queries. I really believed that the task of a consultant is to build the capacity of the clients to make their own assessments and answer their own questions.
    Well, i guess this is a great strategy during the initial phase of your consulting stint, or else you will be eaten alive.;)

What can you say guys?

Go forth and synergise leverage!
  • mightyjeffmightyjeff PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Uy, gusto ko to... Actually gusto ko mag career shift to SAP. I'm a .Net Programmer. Paano po ba mag start? Mukhang mahirap kasi since resources are limited. Any good advice?
  • leuman wrote: »
    That was a quick response bro! Hands-down! *okay*

In my consulting experience, i was able to develop the ability to "throw the questions back to the users", if they have queries. I really believed that the task of a consultant is to build the capacity of the clients to make their own assessments and answer their own questions.
    Well, i guess this is a great strategy during the initial phase of your consulting stint, or else you will be eaten alive.;)

What can you say guys?

Go forth and synergise leverage!

Thanks bro! :)

On my first client exposure, which happened to be my first consulting experience (no shadowing), I've fully appreciated SAP. Because the first time I get to learn what "tcodes" are, I have no idea how I would be able to appreciate this system -- that is, considering that I am a civil engineer (totally no background in IT/programming) and it's definitely far from what I've learned in school.

But then in a way, I was able to apply Project Management principles I learned in school since I am holding Project System (PS) module and that our clients are in the Real Estate and Construction industries. It adds up to the consultant credibility the fact that the one implementing such module is an engineer, just like an accountant handles FI/CO.

Thankfully, the 7 months implem is over and I'm currently in our Development Team, developing our own SAP-based solution (A1 solution for RE/Construction).

I'm currently studying CO in E-Academy of our company as well and hopefully I'd be able to finish it in 2 months time. :)
  • how hard is it to land an implem gig? I only have two years experience supporting HR module post golive.
    I mean can you tell me your story on how you got your first implementation, the extent of your SAP experience during that time, the role you served in the project etc. Thanks.
    I really want to have an implementation experience, preferably a local project. All the offers I'm getting are for support jobs and I don't think I'm ready to try my luck abroad yet.ty
  • ^ I tried support as well in other companies, but after my implementation experience. :D

These are the major activities we did during our implem:

1. Business Process Blueprint -- we fit the client's business process with our standard SAP process.

2. System Configuration -- this is the actual setting-up of the client's requirements into the system settings. So in actual implementation, normally, there are 3 systems : a. Development (DEV) - where system configuration is done; b. Quality Assurance (QAS) - where end user training is done, system config in DEV are transported here; c. Production (PROD) - where actual company transactions are done, DEV config are transported here as well.

3. Data Migration -- transporting manual data to actual system data. You make migration strategies on how actual transactions are to be transported. Medyo matrabaho ito for my part because direct SAP posting ang ginawa namin. You have other options like an upload program (for massive data transport).

4. End-User Training -- when everything is ready for GO LIVE (term used when the client will actually run the system for real business transactions), the users will be trained on how to use the system either by the client or by the consultants' respective counterparts.

5. User Manual/Configuration Manual Documentation -- documentation of the configuration done in the system and other configuration that might be useful.
  • sholess wrote: »
    how hard is it to land an implem gig? I only have two years experience supporting HR module post golive.
    I mean can you tell me your story on how you got your first implementation, the extent of your SAP experience during that time, the role you served in the project etc. Thanks.
    I really want to have an implementation experience, preferably a local project. All the offers I'm getting are for support jobs and I don't think I'm ready to try my luck abroad yet.ty

Normally, a first timer in SAP would get to work in Support as his initial task. It was different in my case; I didn't go through working in the Support team since there are few consultants in my module. Lucky me, I got deployed immediately to our client.

Unfortunately, it was very hard for me to cope with it at first because I was not properly trained. So I depend mostly on what I've read about it (thank God for SAP Help :D -- you really don't have to be a Kaisa-certified to survive implem) and everyday system transaction practice. :)

Now it's done... ready for the next implem. :D
  • How about issues with the end-users? The usual exceptions by the managers and stakeholders? And unusual business scenarios you've encountered so far?
  • ^ Actually, during the Business Process Blueprint, the scenarios and system transactions are being discussed with the department heads and managers for approval.

This approved flows will serve as the guidelines for the end-users so that issues like conflicting roles and differentiating manual and system data posting are minimized.

One significant issue with the end-users is the system acceptance, especially of they are used to doing manual transactions. At first, when you are presenting the business process and system transactions, it's like you are pre-selling :lol: , trying to convince them as to how the system would help them ease their work. This inevitable occurs when the users are oldies. :glee:
  • i've been an SAP professional for almost 10 years - done a few full cycles and have been doing support for 5 years.

i chose to leave the consulting world in 2006 and now work as in-house SAP support lead and managing SAP improvement projects.

i love my job. i miss consulting sometimes but i am happy with my job now because my stress levels are healthy and manageable.

PM/CS focus.

sholess, i had a difficult time at first also. no training on the module i handled, no shadowing. umiyak pa ako sa harap ng client a few times and they questioned my credibility because i was new and handling a male-dominated process. but i persevered and proved them wrong.

i was one of the first lucky ones who got into SAP when most companies wanted to get into it. i landed my first implem gig via my first employer, a big audit/consulting firm and one of the first SAP implem partners. i left when they dissolved the SAP consulting group.
  • ^^ Wow good for you! Ako naman I did technical support for three SAP modules for 3 years. Then lumipat ako sa implem pero parang implem support tong ginagawa namin. Fortunately though I found a job outside of the country to work on an actual implem role. Sana nga ito na yung talagang implem role na hinahanap ko. Wish me luck! *okay*
  • Hi mb065 and jericholic! :wave:
    It's nice to know your stories. :)

Sabi nila maliit lang daw ang SAP world. We might bump to each other in an SAP implem in the future. :)

I wonder if there are FICO/FM consultants here...

I'm having problems in doing Planned Payment.
    I've activated Project Cash Management in PS and deactivated Cash Management in FI. How would I be able to set up the Fiscal Year Variant in FM Area?

I've already set up the Fiscal Year variant in the Company Code settings as well as assignment of an FM area to it, but the problem persists. There's no Fiscal Year variant settings in the Maintenance of FM Area in IMG. Where could the other setting for the FM Area's Fiscal Year Variant asssignment be found?

Thanks. :)
  • Any websites aside from sap.com where we can learn a lot more about SAP? Thanks.
  • ^ http://help.sap.com --> this is very useful.
  • May I also suggest, http://www.sap.ittoolbox.com so you can post your queries to SAP experts who has been there and done that.:)
  • mb065 wrote: »
    i've been an SAP professional for almost 10 years - done a few full cycles and have been doing support for 5 years.

i chose to leave the consulting world in 2006 and now work as in-house SAP support lead and managing SAP improvement projects.

i love my job. i miss consulting sometimes but i am happy with my job now because my stress levels are healthy and manageable.

PM/CS focus.

sholess, i had a difficult time at first also. no training on the module i handled, no shadowing. umiyak pa ako sa harap ng client a few times and they questioned my credibility because i was new and handling a male-dominated process. but i persevered and proved them wrong.

i was one of the first lucky ones who got into SAP when most companies wanted to get into it. i landed my first implem gig via my first employer, a big audit/consulting firm and one of the first SAP implem partners. i left when they dissolved the SAP consulting group.

I'm still young so I'm looking for more challenges and opportunities for career growth. I'm really bored right now doing support so high stress environments would be a welcome change. :rotflmao: This is my first job out of college, so in a way I considered myself lucky to be working on SAP, also considering that I have journ degree. :lol:
    But I've grown to love the job and it has nothing to do with the money, tho its a great motivator. hehe
    I was hoping that my next job would be an implementation. Every job posting I see seems to require full cycle implementation experience. Though it seems to me now that I won't get that kind of exposure here in the country. (specifically SAP HR implems) Is this a safe assumption? What do you guys think?
    All offers I'm getting for implem are from overseas.
  • onat69, www.sapfans.com is also a great forum. i used to be active there.

there's also a yahoogroup for PM, i forget the address but will post it if there's anyone interested.

sholess, some of my friends mentioned before that they were looking for SAP HR people. not sure lang if it's for implem or support. i will ask when i get to talk to them again and will pm you.

it's good that you love the job. i hated it when i was just starting but grew to love it eventually. and now it's just a big plus that the job pays very well.
  • Is anyone here familiar with SAF (not SAP; Simulation, Analysis and Forecasting) ? Actually, SAF and SAP are partners. I've heard that SAF's software is integrated in SAP F&R (component of SAP SCM). I was just curious if this field is already saturated with consultants.
  • neneodinneneodin PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Share ko lang sa mga SAP Pexers kung gaano kabait ang founder ng SAP na si Dietmar Hopp.

Nagdonate sya ng 70 million pesos sa isang charity para sa mga bata na nasa ampunan.

Sinusuportahan nya financially ang isang hospital para sa may mga cancer at sa mga nagreresearch para masugpo ang sakit na cancer.

Sinusuportahan nya ang baguhang football club ang FC Hoffenheim para magkaroon ng magandang training.Hoffenheim ay maliit na province malapit sa Heidelberg na almost 3 thousand lang ang bilang ng population pero nagtayo si Hopp ng napakalaking football stadium with capacity of 30 thousand people,na talagang first class ang pagkakagawa para duon ganapin ang mga malakihang liga ng Alemanya.

Si D.Hopp ay laki sa hirap na tanging nanay lang nya ang sumusuporta sa kanilang magkakapatid.Nagsikap sya kaya nya narating kanyang kinalalagyan ngayon.May dalawa syang anak na lalaki na down to earth din ang lifestyle.Ang halaga ng buong SAP company ay 33 billion€uro.Ganyan katatag ang kumpanyang iyan.
  • Hi! Anong career path meron sa SAP? Magkakaiba pa ba yung consulting, implementation at support? Ang dating sakin ng previous posts magkakaiba sila. Enlighten me please=)

I'm an IT Auditor sa isang auditing firm and I've handled clients na gumagamit ng SAP. Hindi ko naman natotouch lahat ng modules kapag nag aaudit at saka more of controls un tinitingnan namin. Pero I also have other knowledge sa SAP when it comes to the layer, environments, IMG, user types, etc. dahil sa kakabasa at kapag may hindi ako alam sa setup ng client, sa sap ittoolbox din ako tumitingin. In short, wala akong formal training sa SAP. Pero I'm interested, any advice from the experienced ones? Thanks a lot!
  • Hi wacky. :)

When you "implement" SAP, you roll out the system and do customization as per client's requirements. An SAP consultant does this job. He does system configuration, testing, data migration, etc.

In "support", there is already an existing SAP system being used by the client. As the word dictates, SAP support people (some are SAP consultants too) give "support" to system issues raised by the client.

As for career path, an SAP trainee would normally work for support first before proceeding to SAP implementation. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file