Home PEx Hobbies Music and Radio
Discuss your bets and predictions on who will be the next Miss Universe. 👑

2008 - Year in Music

this year's first half was so dry. the only album that excites me is Vampire Weekend.

then it picks up a little for me with Beck, Aimee Mann and My Morning Jacket.

it only jumps at the beginning of second half, the beginning of last quarter. 2008's gotten interesting with lots of follow-up albums. There's Coldplay's Viva LaVida, Ryan Adam's Cardinology and Portishead's Third (very surprising release). And speaking of third, third album releases airblasted the shelves ... Jason Mraz, Los Lonely Boys, John Legend, Snow Patrol, Dido, Amos Lee, Ray Lamontagne and a surprisingly brilliant Matt Costa's Unfamiliar Faces... plus currently on big signs for The Killers new album.

i'm also enjoying Rachael Yamagata and James Morisson's sophomore albums.

Not to forget the releases of these critic-favorites, Death Cab For Cutie, Calexico and Nick Cave nor these two rising new females Adele and Duffy.

And I have to say Hip-Hop is loud this year.

Comments

• oooh, Kanye West is bringing up the rear.

Let me listen to it before I say anything.
  • ermonski brought up a nice observation with the "return of the comeback" Metallica, AC/DC and Guns and Roses.

two boy bands reunited this year, New Kids on the Block and Boyzone.

===============================================

From AMA: (i just heard this on the radio so don't quote me on this)
    Katty Perry kissed a girl and she liked it but Clay Aiken didn't.
    Christina Aguilera just delivered a baby while Mariah Carey married one. :lol:
  • QT IIQT II PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    pay_see wrote: »
    this year's first half was so dry. the only album that excites me is Vampire Weekend.

then it picks up a little for me with Beck, Aimee Mann and My Morning Jacket.

it only jumps at the beginning of second half, the beginning of last quarter. 2008's gotten interesting with lots of follow-up albums. There's Coldplay's Viva LaVida, Ryan Adam's Cardinology and Portishead's Third (very surprising release). And speaking of third, third album releases airblasted the shelves ... Jason Mraz, Los Lonely Boys, John Legend, Snow Patrol, Dido, Amos Lee, Ray Lamontagne and a surprisingly brilliant Matt Costa's Unfamiliar Faces... plus currently on big signs for The Killers new album.

i'm also enjoying Rachael Yamagata and James Morisson's sophomore albums.

Not to forget the releases of these critic-favorites, Death Cab For Cutie, Calexico and Nick Cave nor these two rising new females Adele and Duffy.

And I have to say Hip-Hop is loud this year.

How about MGMT?
  • jake69jake69 PEx Rookie ⭐
    i have to say that the thread starter has an electic taste in music like me... hope he/she can be a friend..he he he

for me, 2008 saw the return of female power in the charts ( especially in the singles charts : madonna, natasha, britney, katy perry, beyonce, mariah, and of course rihanna..)

memorable albums? coldplay, metallica, brian wilson, madonna, disturbed, juno soundtrack, **-** ma, the verve
  • ermonskiermonski PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    pay_see wrote: »
    ermonski brought up a nice observation with the "return of the comeback" Metallica, AC/DC and Guns and Roses.

two boy bands reunited this year, New Kids on the Block and Boyzone.

===============================================

Christina Aguilera just delivered a baby while Mariah Carey married one. :lol:

thanks hehe... I love the sounds of old-skool rock so I was really overwhelmed that some of them are making a comeback this year...

I can smell that there are lots more to come haha!
  • weezer - red album
    the killers - day and age
    slipknot - all hope is gone
    jack johnson - sleep through the static

sandwich - s marks the spot
    pedicab - shinji, ilabas mo na ang helicopter
    markus highway - behold! rejoice, surfernando is hear nah!
  • OPM
    Bipolar - Up Dharma Down
    VIllains - Wolfgang

It's a weak year as far as foreign music goes - mostly because of the fact that Tool didn't release an album this year. :glee:
  • jake69 wrote: »
    i have to say that the thread starter has an electic taste in music like me... hope he/she can be a friend..he he he

for me, 2008 saw the return of female power in the charts ( especially in the singles charts : madonna, natasha, britney, katy perry, beyonce, mariah, and of course rihanna..)

it's also kid's nation this year...

jonas brother, miley cyrus, david ?archuletta?, taylor swift is there and high school musical. musical - it continued the hype from last year too.
  • pay_see wrote: »

LMAO!! :lol::lol::lol:

• It's a weak year as far as foreign music goes - mostly because of the fact that Tool didn't release an album this year. :glee:

2008 has the same pace as last year's. It only got better at the second half. I think It's probably because of Award season. It kind of helps when their songs are currently playing and award-giving bodies are thinking their nominees. Plus, they also use award nights to promote their albums. ;)

2002, 2003 for me are decade's best years. Right amount of sound friendliness and seriousness. Those are also the pivots where pop artists transform from commercial pop to commercial and competitive pop. Less sugar on the candy too.
    From 2006, it came to a point where there is a tremendous amount of musicians, all sorts and origins, congesting record bars, the web and magazine pages.
    And now, I can see a future to where I can recall and say "there's a load of nobodies who got discovered from uploaded Youtube videos just like that nobody last 2008".
  • what about this year?

mmm..

Britney vs. Christina all over again...(sort of)
    Kanye getting more serious with the vocoder...
    Taylor Swift's surprise dominance...
    Lil' Wayne's shocking 1 million sales in 1 week......
    Janet and Usher flopping badly....
    PCD didnt dominate...
    Disney products strengthens and widens fanbase...
    British female singers invading US...
    Britney Returns...
  • forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
    In the US, album sales decreased even more as digital download sales soared :eek:
  • last.dodo.birdlast.dodo.bird PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    I would say that 2008 is a lackluster year for music, because it does seem that way... but the thing is that people say that every year... and then the music from that year grows on them as time passes... and finally they realize several years down the road that it wasn't a bad year after all.

Thoughts on some of the albums that were mentioned already:

Beck - Modern Guilt
    Opens with a nice serving of psychedelic-rock, then features the amazing "Chemtrails" later on with a more dark and dreamy mood (plus some kick-ass drumming)... but the songs that follow are a bit disappointing (except for the slow and grungy "Volcano"). So it's okay for several songs.

Aimee Mann - @#%&*! Smilers
    Something like an album that glorifies sadness and finds beauty in sorrow, which is something Aimee Mann does really well. It sounds a bit Sheryl Crow-ish, though. Good stuff but sounds ordinary.

My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges
    Really loved "Thank You Too", "Sec Walkin'" and the title track... but really hated everything else. Very polarized about the songs on this album. Ultimately, the bad outweighed the good. But those three songs I mentioned are ace.

Coldplay - Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends
    One of my favorite albums of the year. A stylistic departure from the Coldplay of old, but still with a familiar vibe. More lively, energetic and uplifting with a tinge of that distinctive 80's sound.

Portishead - Third
    Big disappointment. Downtempo, gloomy, electronica/industrial/trip hop. Not really my thing, but Beth Gibbons' vocals are beautiful as it has ever been. "Glory Box" pa din.

Jason Mraz - We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things.
    Feels like the most mature set of songs Mr.A-Z has released, but it loses some of that lyrical spunk and wit from his previous compositions. Nice record to chillax to. "I'm Yours" = one of the best songs this year. Period.

Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs
    Songwriting and word-wrangling has always been Ben Gibbard's strong suit; and thus, has been DCFC's best asset. That isn't so much the case on "Narrow Stairs". I'd say the songwriting and storytelling took a small step back and DCFC let loose their musicality and experimentation much more, which clearly shows on the 8-minute long "I Will Possess Your Heart"...

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!
    Nick Cave reminds me so much of Tom Waits. They have this same low-registered, bravado-filled, swaggery voice and style of delivery that just commands an audience. Nick Cave doesn't sound like a sad [email protected] anymore, and a lot people may not like that. The album is good, but much of the middle part is not really memorable. The title track and "More News From Nowhere" are two of the better things that I've heard this year, though... with the latter being the more superior of the two.

Metallica - Death Magnetic
    Not quite the "return to form" everyone is preaching, but surely the band's thrashiest release since AJFA. Most of the praise for this album will only be in the light of the previous three albums that preceeded it... which mostly sucked. So, while Death Magnetic does not hold a candle to Metallica's 80's material, it's still a pleasant surprise if you take it into context. Other than that, the production is sh!tty and the songs are 2-3 minutes too long.

MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
    I'm not one to appreciate the electro/synth-pop sound of MGMT, but they know how to create catchy tunes for sure...

Brian Wilson - That Lucky Old Sun
    Very sunny indeed! Loved this album to bits. Another favorite from this year although it treads that line in between being laughably cheesy and brilliantly joyous. One can't help but be uplifted. Even if you want to tear your brains out at how embarrassingly bright and sunny this record sounds (especially in present-day context), you just can't help but smile deep down inside to the sunny mood and saccharine sounds of this record. BW is a god at creating lovely melodies and lush harmonies.

Disturbed - Indestructible
    David Draiman is a seriously gifted vocalist and the powerfully heavy rhythms gives me a great rush. But the album gets old a while before the album ends. Generally good, but the lack of variety and the formulaic nature of it all can be a drag.

Fleet Foxes - s/t
    Great album. Like Beach Boys-meets-Iron and Wine. Cool and relaxing melodies with harmonies ala-Beach Boys interwoven with subtle and gentle folk stylings just like folk music has always been (hehe). "White Winter Hymnal" and "Ragged Wood" are my favorites.

...and just to namedrop all my other favorite albums from this year:
    • Mooncake - Lagrange Points (post-rock/instrumental rock)
    • The Mountain Goats - Heretic Pride (indie rock/folk)
    • Celeste - Nihiliste(s) (screamo/post-hardcore)
    • Colour Haze - All (stoner/heavy psychedelia)
    • LITE - Phantasia (math rock/post-rock)
    • Girl Talk - Feed the Animals (plunderphonics/mashup)
    • Northern Portrait - The Fallen Aristocracy (jangle pop)
    • Panzerballett - Starke Stücke (jazz/metal)
    • Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid (indie rock)
    • Los Campesinos! - Hold on Now, Youngster... (indie/twee-pop)
    • Grand Archives - The Grand Archives (indie-pop)
    • A Silver Mt. Zion - 13 Blues for Thirteen Moons (post-rock)
    • She & Him - Volume One (folk/indie-pop)
    • Ef - I Am Responsible (post-rock)
    • Russian Circles - Station (post-rock)
    • Earth - The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull (drone/stoner rock)
    • Bar Kokhba - Lucifer: Book of Angels Volume 10 (jazz)
    • Equilibrium - Sagas (folk metal)
    • Mike Oldfield - Music of the Spheres (modern classical)

Oh, and one more album that hasn't been mentioned yet in the thread but everyone is raving about is TV on the Radio's "Dear Science". I think it's overrated.
  • lark_2007 wrote: »
    what about this year?

mmm..

Britney vs. Christina all over again...(sort of)
    Kanye getting more serious with the vocoder...
    Taylor Swift's surprise dominance...
    Lil' Wayne's shocking 1 million sales in 1 week......
    Janet and Usher flopping badly....
    PCD didnt dominate...
    Disney products strengthens and widens fanbase...
    British female singers invading US...
    Britney Returns...

Taylor Swift and Lil' Wayne, seen positive reviews across boarders for both them. Indeed, suprising.

I made a thread about B-list artists and I included Janet Jackson as being one. Her most recent is not too bad for being very radio-friendly but I really think she has worn out.

On the other hand, Britney Spears inspite of low reputation is still ringing the gong. It's a matter of who's producing their albums, who they are sticking themselves with.

Kanye West's heartbreak and the idea of it is very intriguing to be ingeniune and it's only there as commercial tool. But All the issues revolving around the artist doesn't count, it's what you listen to matters. And I had my ears pressed on the album and I can say that he made more than three strikes. Not as much appealing than all previous but not at all ---well, let him be a lunatic and think he's God. He has the right to brag.
    oh, I forgot about Vampire Weekend...

Vampire Weekend - s/t
    The only track that really stands out here and makes me exclaim greatness is "Oxford Comma". The melodic and Beatlesque (circa Sgt Peppers) "Mansard Roof" and Culture Club-ish "M79" also deserve mention. But outside of those three songs, I found it hard to identify a song that stuck. The rest of the album sounds like pretty decent indie rock... but it's nothing to get excited about. Especially on the tracks where they wear their punk influences on their sleeve such as "A-Punk" and "The Kids Don't Stand a Chance" - it just doesn't work.
  • rockstaridolrockstaridol PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I just wanna say bwahahha to Yo Yo Ma being asterisks as **-** Ma :grinroll:
  • Would you rather listen to solid, but not stellar album or album with fully standout tracks but the rest are trash?

Evil Urges (the track) is my best album opener of the year. Like I'd said -'liberating' was the word I was looking for. It just feels oh-so good inside with that song. I wasn't expecting anything great from this album and I sincerely sense that My Morning Jacket didn't really aim for the gold neither. I still consider it to be solid but not anywhere near stellar. Just songs put together without any stress from high expectations but delivered enough for satisfaction.

Vampire Weekend leans more on the latter. It's sumptuous on first tastes but when it lasted you can tell that the album is not at all coherent. One of the reason why I've been holding off my year-end top album list.
    Although I disagree, experience and standards to consider, I find A-Punk a very enjoyable track and The Kids Don't Stand A Chance though not too solid is enough to say a good album ender.

Viva LaVida (the track) is the best single of 2008 for me. I love how Coldplay reviewed pasts and jumped continents in order to create great messages. They have sold the gold worthy of being great lyricists.

I always always ignore Jason Mraz but when I heard "i'm Yours", I really thought maybe it's time to listen. Read a great pexer's blog that's already praising and suggesting his contribution this year. So I guess, I'm buying the album anytime soon to find out what the fuzz really about.

i still hate you last.dodo.bird. thank god you included Thank You Too.
    ^ don't worry, the feeling is mutual.

If the overall satisfaction is the same, I'd rather listen to a consistent album without standout tracks. If an album has its fair share of standouts and filler tracks, I'll end up skipping every now and then. Then again it would have more memorable music. It's hard to choose.

Oh wait... I was wrong, I meant to say "Highly Suspicious" and not the title track from Evil Urges... Title track is okay... Dun pala ako sa "Highly Suspicious" natuwa lalo.
  • It's all about the female pop this year.

Out of Control - Girls Aloud. Just a gorgeous, gorgeous record, and the vocals are ****ing LUSH, some of the best they've done.

The Fame - Lady Gaga. I was really impressed. Such a good album. I've been playing it over and over today - it's fighting with Girls Aloud for most plays at the moment, and winning.

Fearless - Jazmine Sullivan. Mastery of many styles, hell of a voice and that last track. That's one of the catchiest things I've ever heard. Hope she's selling a lot of records.

Lessons to Be Learned - Gabriella Cilmi. Sweet About Me is such a luscious single. It's a subtle album and the songs need to be listened and relistened for their full worth to appreciate and be appreciated. ;)

Electric Arguments - Fireman/Youth. Paul McCartney the ****ing Weird Mother****er. I enjoyed this album lots.

Circus - Britney Spears. So far, I'm liking every cut on this new one, loving about half. I'm not seeing it as strong as Zone or Blackout though.

Volume 1 - She & Him.

New York City - Brazilian Girls.

also The Ting Tings. :bop:
  • ticktockticktock PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    The ting tings -- we started nothing. brilliant album.

Madonna -- hardcandy. hhmmm.. a bit disappointed with this one. only 4/12 are good. atleast for me.. "miles away" was the best song on this album.

Britney -- circus. I love this. Its a mix of old and new britney. This album is light pop-ish but very edgy still,.. anyways, i love 12/13 songs from the leak. I cant wait for dec 2 to buy the original album..

so for the whole year, tatlo lang album na binili ko.. (bibilhin pa lang yung isa) .. lol..