Restricting the Net

Ice BurnIce Burn Conflicting Karma PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
I'm not going to talk about ***** or chatting muna, but this will be about Social Networking sites like Friendster, Facebook, Multiply etc.

Unfortunately for my kids, I am an IT person and i will do all sorts of administrative watch to monitor my kids net usage when my kids are old enough to use the computer.

Normally I really don't bother with my 12 yr old adopted brother's use but I got concerned about his use of friendster when I inspected it further.

Most older parents have limited experience with the net and do not realize the dangers of the net. Heck my mom doesn't even know how to use email let alone social network.

Now social networking sites have an age requirement but you see all these children having their own friendster/multiply/facebook etc pages. You actually have to be 16 to have one. There are a lot of predators out there masquerading as kids. There are kids who do not know the implications of putting their photos when they are scantily dressed. And as you know a lot of people use social networking to get relationships...And there have been cases of suicides by kids because of SNS. And some of the robberies and kidnapping have gone high tech. You'll see pics of well-to-do kids and you can easily find out exactly where they live.

Anyway, my brother cried and told my parents that I blocked friendster. My parents after listening to me regarding the age limit and the things he's been putting on his friendster and his adding of "older" friends whom we do not know, agreed to block it from access. My brother told me, fine, he'll be accessing from Claret then. Now come Monday I'm going to call Claret and demand to know why they are letting kids access age restricted social networking sites.

Parents should be concerned too if your kids are accessing social networking sites if they aren't of age yet. There's a reason why they gave it an age requirement but since it's below 18, these SNS have no liability whatever dangerous outcomes happen.

If you are going to allow your kids on SNS, talk to your kids about always setting their profiles to private, never put out too much information that it's trackable information and never add people they don't know. Always inspect who your kids friends are. If you see older people whom you don't know, ask who they are since they might victimize your kid.

There are also SNS that cater to kids and require their parents to have access to their passwords.

But it all boils down that even if you keep your kids at home, they are meeting more people out there and a lot of people would seek to take advantage of this thanks to social networking.

Comments

• DELISYUSDELISYUS Only 15% Lesbian PExer
    Yikes...

You just made me realize that I was wrong to stop 'growing' with the internet... I seldom even visit my friendster account and don't get Twitter and Plurk... and this is wrong because I have to be MORE updated than my kids will ever be, otherwise I wouldn't be able to protect them from the criminals that are haunting the web...

Kids (teeners included) in the US have been victims of rape/abuse and other crimes just because they trusted someone they 'met' online who 'made them feel they understand'... we are following suit... and it really is imperative that parents draw the necessary lines...

aside from monitoring websites surfed... kids also shouldn't be allowed unlimited hours using the net... how else can they browse friendster and facebook sites if they don't enjoy all these hours of net time?
  • Ice BurnIce Burn Conflicting Karma PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Aside from the usual ***** and site blocking features, there are so many parental programs out there that lets parents keep a log of what sites their kids visit, how many hours their kid has surfed, what programs they recently installed etc., etc..

I think all parents should sit down and get to know such programs if they let their children online.

I remember back then, my idiot brother actually installed a ***** dialer when he was 14. And I caught the program. If he actually managed to set it up correctly, my parents would've had long distance charges on the phone bill. I also caught him several times surfing ***** just by checking the cache and history of the browser. At his age now (21), he knows how to clear it but he still has no idea that it's still in the temp folder :p ). But that's his deal now since he's 21.
  • sweetwahmsweetwahm Just Another PExer PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    A good point raised, Ice Burn!

My kids are still young so right now, I take for granted that the internet is easy access here at home. But I did get a little concerned when I noticed that my 3-year old (he just turned 2 then) can properly switch on and proceed to the games. He got pretty good at Tumblebugs and Zuma and the Flower Shop game :glee: Uhuh, I was tickled pink at first and I was going with all the "proud-parent" yada yada UNTIL all he wanted to do was play and then he started having tamtrums whenever he couldn't and he got pretty good at opening the disney channel too. The novelty is lost on him now. He hardly bothers with the computer unless I ask him to sit with me.

But in a few years time... I'm thinking around 6 or 7, he's gonna pick up on how great the internet is and all the wonders of SNS. Hay naku.
    And when they're teens....? The horror when they start discovering ***** sites! :eek: I know it's all a normal growing up thing, but hahaha, I think I'm probably gonna lose all humor when I get to that stage, probably to the point where my kids are gonna wonder if I had ever been a kid :rotflmao:. We'll see, we'll see. :glee:
  • but other parents naman, they use it as a tool, parang, if you can't beat them, join them ang style nila, they sign up and add their kids to their account, in that way,they can monitor kung sino yung mga friend ng kids nila,kasi nga di ba mga teen hindi masyado nag o open up sa parents,but thru friendster,yung ibang parents,they connect with their kids,even activity. It's a case to case basis din siguro, in a way everything ends up pa rin naman sa parents, how thy brought their kids up. Hirap 'no!
    That's what I meant, it's important to monitor kid's net activities but a lot of parents aren't as half as IT savvy as their kids and think surfing on the net is a harmless pastime. Not all parents know that you have to be 16 to use an SNS. Parents teach their kids never to talk to strangers but a lot of kids think that talking to strangers on the net is safe because they are in the safety of their homes.

Ever watch that show, To Catch a Predator from Dateline NBC? They've caught so many pervs on that show. Pervs who think they are meeting minors.
  • ^yup! seen that show a few times and i was surprised because most of the suspect were habitual offender.
  • martedimartedi Member PExer
    but other parents naman, they use it as a tool, parang, if you can't beat them, join them ang style nila, they sign up and add their kids to their account, in that way,they can monitor kung sino yung mga friend ng kids nila,kasi nga di ba mga teen hindi masyado nag o open up sa parents,but thru friendster,yung ibang parents,they connect with their kids,even activity. It's a case to case basis din siguro, in a way everything ends up pa rin naman sa parents, how thy brought their kids up. Hirap 'no!

ganyan yung SIL ko,nag friendster din sya,para nakikita rin nya mga friends ng anak nya...yung anak ko naman,di pa alam yan since he's only 5.pero marunong na sya mag operate ng pc at mag online games.sana lang walang biglang mag-pop-up na mga ***** sites sa mga ads.kung hindi,baka ma-click nya yun!
    I'm remembering the Megan Meier incident all over again.

Jury convicts mom of lesser charges in online hoax
  • CoolCucumberCoolCucumber HEALTH.FREAK.WANNABE. PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    My sister has a Friendster profile before she even reached 16. I am aware of the dangers these sites pose since kids may be gullible enough to put so much info about themselves. Anyway, I just told her that her profile should always be in private mode. Sumunod naman but the thing is, she keeps on adding "friends" we don't hear her talk about and who are older.

That's the thing with these sites. They don't know how vulnerable these children can be. This isn't a trust issue. It's like, oo nga, mababait silang bata but still, they don't have the maturity, the discernment to deliberate things. Ang nagpa-highblood sa 'kin ay nung hinanap ko sa Google ang pangalan niya at lumabas ang Google maps [o baka Wikimapia] na kung saan naka-label pa talaga ang bahay namin. Hindi lang 'yun, andun pa talaga ang coordinates ng bahay namin.

They are these naive youngsters who thinks the world is a good place and that all their "friends" have good intentions.

:rpflag:
    Just been browsing the other threads.

Disturbing! Broadcast Suicide
    Well aside from ***** let's not forget the following things too which are so easily available on the net.

Bomb making
    Drug making
    Anorexia and Bulimia how-to's
    Neo Nazi and other hate sites
    Murder, mutiliations and other vile pictures
    The list goes on and on...
    sweetwahm wrote: »
    Just been browsing the other threads.

Disturbing! Broadcast Suicide

this one is utterly shocking. But I hate the fact that his family wants to put the blame entirely on the net and the netizens. There are so many bad things found on the net but if we as parents wash our hands and do not take responsibility for our children's time online then we're far worse than the terrible things so easily accessible with one click.
  • Ice Burn wrote: »
    Well aside from ***** let's not forget the following things too which are so easily available on the net.

Bomb making
    Drug making
    Anorexia and Bulimia how-to's
    Neo Nazi and other hate sites
    Murder, mutiliations and other vile pictures
    The list goes on and on...
    simply lang ang take ko jan, if the kids are checking sites like this, even if it only accidentally pop up on their pc, it means merong silang issues sa buhay nila. kahit na sabihing out of curiosity but if everything is ok with them,why bother to browse it. kids that checking this are really up to something!
    ^^Unfortunately if parents aren't aware of what their kids are checking online, how would the parents know that the kids are up to something?

The Columbine shooters were into sites with Neo-Nazi, killings etc., but their parents had no clue.
  • that is exactly my point!!!!,hindi pwede i-blame sa internet lahat, I mean most of the people knew that all information is available online. Yung pag check ng mga sites na ganyan, it doesn't happen over night with the kids as if it just pop to their heads instantly "hey, i want to kill someone today, let me see how am i gonna do that".it means they have some problems even before they discover how to use the internet. The problem starts within one's personal issues.
    like what happen to the online suicide, the teens already have an issue,kahit na hindi nya nakilala yung "suspect" she's gonna do it one way or the other, dahil dati na syang low-self esteem,if she have a high self confident, kahit anong provoke sa kanya she's not gonna do it.
    but then again, in the end, sa magulang pa rin talaga ang blame.
    Here's some more issues to tackle.

Swedish boy collapses after 20-hour World of Warcraft binge

A 15-year-old boy from western Sweden collapsed and went into convulsions on Sunday afternoon after playing the World of Warcraft computer game for 20 hours straight.
    Read More...

or worse this....

Boy dies of stroke after playing computer games for 12 hours non stop

A teenager died in the Russian city of Ekaterinburg after 12 hours of playing computer games. The boy died from stroke after he had spent a half of his day playing games in a computer club. Doctors were taking lifesaving efforts for several days, but could not save the boy. The autopsy showed that the brain of a young gamer was totally destroyed.
    Read More...

Man dies after 50 hours of computer games

A South Korean man has died after reportedly playing an online computer game for 50 hours with few breaks.

The 28-year-old man collapsed after playing the game Starcraft at an internet cafe in the city of Taegu, according to South Korean authorities.
    Read More...

Second gamer dies after massive binge

Just days after the first 'internet overdose', another addict has died after a marathon games binge.

The 27 year-old Taiwanese man collapsed after playing computer games for 32 hours non-stop.
    Read More...
    Granted the last two links were adults but it shows how addicting online games are and how dangerous it is to be so addicted.

I myself have experienced all night gaming binges. I'm not proud of it, i used to play Counter Strike and Diablo all night with my friends. We'd play from 10pm to 6am (or when the sun rose). But at the cafe we played in, they had a record holder who played 30 straight hours of gaming.
    They are going to show To Catch a Predator in Philippine cable TV starting Jan. 22.
  • asianfanaticasianfanatic Member PExer
    How did you block friendster? I want to know just in case...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file