mothering a teenager

my relationship with my 14yr old son has become so testing! parang may sarili na syang gobyerno! we used to be so close, ngayon parang non-existent ako sa buhay nya. all he cares about is his gadgets. he had failing grades this last quarter. kausapin ko ng mahinahon, dead-ma. pagalitan ko, mas galit pa sa akin. im totally shut out. is this a stage? o failure ako sa pagiging nanay ko? its scary and its rousing a great deal of fears in me.

Comments

• ms hopefulms hopeful Member PExer
    same here, have a problem with my youngest son, he acts differently from my eldest son, there are factors to consider bakit sila nagkakaganun. one is influence from barkadas, bitterness, lack of parental support.
  • pomonapomona Member PExer
    ms hopeful wrote: »
    same here, have a problem with my youngest son, he acts differently from my eldest son, there are factors to consider bakit sila nagkakaganun. one is influence from barkadas, bitterness, lack of parental support.

im a working single mom. but i try so hard to make them feel loved and important. i only have the sundays off and whatever activity i plan for us to bond, he finds ways to detach himself (he is the eldest). minsan feeling ko he intentionally wants to piss me off. why cant they just be normal kids and study well and be nice like how we were during our time??? :confused:
  • sana hindi maging ganyan ang son ko,he's only 7 now and ngayon pa lang i want to prepare myself na sa ganyang stage, but who knows, I'll cross the bridge when i get there i guess.
  • ms hopefulms hopeful Member PExer
    pomona,

same here, am also a single working mom, my son hates his father for abandoning us, i told him to forgive his father. just continue to
    let him feel he is loved and pray, it works.
  • kim Gkim G Member PEx Rookie ⭐
    i had the same problem when my eldest daughter turned 14,tinatanong ko ang mga friends who has grown up kids how can they love their teenagers at the same time you're minute away from killing them.everything i say and do,she takes it as i am the devil talking.i kept my cool and my sanity which is the hardest thing i've done in my life.she's now 21,living on her own,working and pursuing university life(without our financial help) and way more mature than i was when i am her age.I guess, there's no magic formula but keep loving them even in the their most unlovable moments.
  • tina11tina11 Member PExer
    pomona I don't have a teenager yet but ten years ago I was a teenager, so maybe this advice will help. Give him his space and trust him. Insist on him attending special family events like birthdays and graduations, but don't force him to go along on ordinary mall outings if he would rather hang out with his friends. Lay down the ground rules (e.g. curfews, your expectations regarding his grades, no drugs, no smoking) but let him make his own decisions when it comes to non-crucial things. Ask your parents for advice, because chances are, they remember your teenage years differently... you may not have been as "nice" as you think you were :glee:
  • DELISYUSDELISYUS Only 15% Lesbian PExer
    this might help... even if you're not as Christian or religious...

Title: Parent Talk 101 (The Challenges of parenting Teens)
    Speaker: Clem Guillermo (Heart Line Counselor-DZAS 702, Director of
    Back to the Bible Phil., Marriage Counselor)
    When: January 17, 2009 (Saturday)
    Where: Cinema 9 (SM North Edsa, Quezon City)
    Morning Session: 9:00am to 12:00 noon
    Afternoon Session: 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm
    Ticket price: P150.00

Event Partners: Proclaim His Name Christian Fellowship, Philippine
    Council of Evangelical Churches(PCEC), 702 DZAS, Philippine
    Christian Book Store(PCBS), Back to the Bible

For more details, ticket reservations and inquiries, text Cristina
    at (63918)939-0171.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights