Home PEx International Entertainment International Movies

REQUIEM FOR A DREAM

I heard that this is really a good film.
Have you heard of it?
Any information?

Comments

• mayron ba niyan sa vcd?
  • i haven't seen it but all i know is that ellen burstyn will always be one of my favorite actresses.
  • all I know is this movie is the sophomoric effort of Darren Aronofsky, whom indie film enthusiasts (like me) might remember as the guy who directed the wonderful "Pi" (the title is actually the mathematical symbol of Pi, pero di ko alam kung pano yun isulat dito e). It stars, Ellen Burstyn as an old lady addicted to game shows and prescription drugs yata. also with Jared Leto and Marlon Wayans, i think.
    critics trashed it for being too hardcore and visual. i hope they show it here soon...:goon:
  • AbominableAbominable PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Pi was shown in Glorietta Art Film but I was not able to catch it. I hope Requiem for a dream will have its commercial run here.
  • from what i hear, they say this is one great movie. parang if you liked trainspotting, you'll like this one too.

i saw the trailer on an entertainment channel. if i was paying attention, i saw an onld woman ang a young guy kissing inside a room. tapos may mga prescription drugs, and stuff.

sana nga ipalabas na yon dito. :)
  • Source: http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=info&id=1800361191

Starring: Ellen Burstyn, Jared Leto, Jennifer Connelly, Marlon Wayans, Keith David.

Directed by Darren Aronofsky.

Synopsis

For his follow-up to his darkly brilliant debut, PI, director Darren Aronofsky chose to adapt a tough and meaty piece of work: Hubert Selby's 1968 novel--a dark spiral into the abyss of barren fantasies doomed to extinction--REQUIEM FOR A DREAM. However, in Aronofsky's frenetic, visionary, unique, and disturbing style lies the perfect setting for this story of four people whose intertwined lives are full of eternally hopeful despair. This is a different sort of horror film. Harry Goldfarb (Jared Leto) and Marion Silver (Jennifer Connelly) are lovers in Brooklyn with dreams of setting up a small business and spending the rest of their lives in love: their version of the American Dream. The two are also desperate heroin addicts, a compulsion that darkens their lives and leads Harry to repeatedly pawn his mother's television. His mother, Sara Goldfarb (Ellen Burstyn), is addicted to television, which is why she keeps replacing the stolen set. One day she receives a call from her favorite show, the surreal TAPPY TIBBONS SHOW, and learns that she has been selected to appear on an upcoming broadcast. When she can't fit into her best red dress, her doctor prescribes diet pills (uppers), to which she swiftly and painfully becomes addicted. Tyrone (Marlon Wayans), Harry's cohort, an intelligent hustler, completes the foursome. With its unflinching dissection of addiction, REQUIEM FOR A DREAM is a psychologically disturbing, visually captivating depiction of lost hope. The last half hour of the film is among the most harrowing of any film ever made.
  • AbominableAbominable PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    red_door8 Maraming salamat sa gist
    Can't wait to see the movie!
  • Originally posted by Abominable
    red_door8 Maraming salamat sa gist
    Can't wait to see the movie!

No problem, Abominable! :)
  • uh, mayroon nang "requiem for a dream" sa divisoria.

studio copy... ;)
  • Originally posted by lee atwater
    uh, mayroon nang "requiem for a dream" sa divisoria.

studio copy... ;)

Does that mean malinaw?
  • yup! tinesting ko yung kopya... malinaw.

ito yata ang binibagay ng studios sa mga oscar voters para ma-judge nila yung pelikula.

nakasulat sa ilalim: "property of artisan entertainment"

isa pa, halos ubos na ang kopya sa divisoria, ewan ko na lang sa makati...

buti na lang nakabili na ako

[Edited by lee atwater on 04-19-2001 at 06:08 PM]
  • Just saw it today - and it's amazing beyond amazing. It's also f***ed up beyond my ability to describe, but still a phenomenal piece of work. This had better win every damn award it's nominated for, it deserves accolades heaped onto it.
  • I watched it about 6 times na ever since I got the DVD 2 weeks ago. ANG GALLENNNGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!! The best! Ang ok ni Darren Aronofsky!!

I really liked everything from the acting to the score to the style ng director myung sinasabi niyang Hip hop montage. With sharp close up shots and sounds instead of people doing the usual oohhhs and aaahss while taking dope.
  • It's one of the best DVDs ever. Find a copy at pinoydvd.com. Brash cinema showed din ata. Jared Leto rocks!

B00003CXP1.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
  • wanna watch it? It's showing tomorrow night (Thurs. Aug.30) at Brash Young Cinema at the Basement of the S&L Bldg (UNISYS) Esteban St. corner Dela Rosa St. Legaspi Village, Makati City.

It's free! (honest!)... :D
    you can buy beer at the place for about 30 bucks. Or you can just bring your own stuff. Sorry but food won't be available. But I'll try to bring popcorn for everyone!

brash young cinema website

i attached a map also so you will have an easier time finding it.

some of you may have already checked out my thread about the place or have already been there... or heard about it :)

See you all there!!! :grinroll:
  • i was able to buy the pirated vcd a couple of months ago and i must say that this is the first horror movie that i have seen without the monsters or the special effects/costumes. its a horror story about drugs and its really disturbing. galing ng pagkagawa.
  • longshot_21longshot_21 PEx Rookie ⭐
    jennifer connelly is such a hottie!
    just saw it on dvd and it rocks pero depressing lang nga towards the end........:(
    though i wonder what the last scenes meant........ all of them curling up into that fetal position thing.
  • Originally posted by longshot_21
    jennifer connelly is such a hottie!
    just saw it on dvd and it rocks pero depressing lang nga towards the end........:(
    though i wonder what the last scenes meant........ all of them curling up into that fetal position thing.

Didn't you watch the bonus features of the DVD?
  • i saw REQUIEM FOR A DREAM and i must say, it's well-done. the visuals are very powerful. i was also able to watch PI and i prefer PI more probably because it strikes me as being a high-concept idea. of course, the director should be commended for his distinct approach in exposing the effect of drugs. many movies have been made about the subject, but none with the caliber and intensity of REQUIEM.
  • by the way, the last scene with everyone curling up to a fetal position is very symbolic. the fetal position, as explained by my psychology class in college, is indicative of security, or the pursuit thereof. thus, the characters all just wanted to feel safe and protected. they want to reclaim the innocence or their awe for the world.