COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

Did Jesus claim to be God?

taxo_ptaxo_p still learning PExer
i would just like to share this link.
http://y-jesus.com/jesus_believe_god_1.php

and yes, i do believe he did claim to be God.

Comments

• nicolai_franknicolai_frank Christ, Cross, Catholic PExer
    Yes.

In John 5:18, St. John narrates that there were two reasons why the Jews sought to kill Jesus:

1. He destroyed the Law of Sabbath

2. That he claimed to be the Son of God, making Himself EQUAL to God.

There is nothing equal to God except God himself.
  • taxo_ptaxo_p still learning PExer
    i beg to disagree on point 1. Jesus did not destroy the law of the sabbath. He actually spent so much time correcting the current practice of keeping the sabbath. the pharisees made so many rules (man-made rules) that made keeping the sabbath a burden.

the sabbath was made for man. It was to be a delight. it is a celebration of creation. it is a time to rest from our mundane, materialistic pursuits and commune with him.

Jesus and his disciples did keep the sabbath. not like the pharisees did but they did keep it the way it should be kept.
    taxo_p wrote: »
    i beg to disagree on point 1. Jesus did not destroy the law of the sabbath. He actually spent so much time correcting the current practice of keeping the sabbath. the pharisees made so many rules (man-made rules) that made keeping the sabbath a burden.

the sabbath was made for man. It was to be a delight. it is a celebration of creation. it is a time to rest from our mundane, materialistic pursuits and commune with him.

Jesus and his disciples did keep the sabbath. not like the pharisees did but they did keep it the way it should be kept.

Then you are negating John's narration. Agreeing point number 2 but disagreeing point 1 is quiet inconsistent.
    To add:

INC accepts point # 1 as factually true while treats point # 2 as a mere accusation of the Pharisees.

SDA, on the other hand, accepts point # 2 as factually true while treats point # 1 as a mere accusation of the Pharisees.

But if we use whatever amount of logic we have, it is clear that John is simply narrating the actions of Jesus which instigated the Jews to kill him.
  • And he doesn't know what Jesus claim to be a God means... :mecry:
    And I don't understand your English...
  • He can't? But he is still arguing with me in the other thread... Contradiction #2! :lol:
    Defne contradiction, ridler. I know it is not contradiction for you that an angel named Manalo was convicted of raping his fooled member.
    To add:

INC accepts point # 1 as factually true while treats point # 2 as a mere accusation of the Pharisees.

SDA, on the other hand, accepts point # 2 as factually true while treats point # 1 as a mere accusation of the Pharisees.

But if we use whatever amount of logic we have, it is clear that John is simply narrating the actions of Jesus which instigated the Jews to kill him.

The Jews clearly believed he was breaking the sabbath because Jesus did not practice sabbath keeping the way they did. If he did not believe in the keeping of the sabbath, he would not have spent so much time correcting their view of the sabbath. He went to the synagogue regularly on sabbath.
    Even after his ascent to heaven, the apostles kept the sabbath.
    The only commandment that starts with the word remember is so forgotten these days.

you are a catholic i believe. and from my understanding, the official statement of your church is that nowhere in scripture will any find the abolition of the sabbath.
  • That's great! You know now how to ask if you don't know something! That's a good improvement! *okay*

Style of Nicolai if he's cornered... Define this define that! Lambasting INC even though we are not talking about it! CLASSIC! :lol:
    The Jews clearly believed he was breaking the sabbath because Jesus did not practice sabbath keeping the way they did. If he did not believe in the keeping of the sabbath, he would not have spent so much time correcting their view of the sabbath. He went to the synagogue regularly on sabbath.
    Even after his ascent to heaven, the apostles kept the sabbath.
    The only commandment that starts with the word remember is so forgotten these days.

you are a catholic i believe. and from my understanding, the official statement of your church is that nowhere in scripture will any find the abolition of the sabbath.

You are wrong. The apostles no longer observed the Jews' Sabbath. Early Christians had Sunday as the Lord's Day.
    If you are able, look into the book FROM SABBATH TO SUNDAY. it is a book which was originally a dissertation submitted to the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome by Samuele Bacchiochi. I believe the university gave him the honors of summa cum laude. The first time for a non-catholic.

The book traces the history of sunday keeping. It exposes that sunday-keeping did not start until approximately one century after christ's death. It was a move to christianize pagan Rome. They felt it would be easier for pagans to accept christianity they gave pagan gods and pagan festivities christian names. They also wanted to escape being persecuted like the jews were since they were mainly identified by their sabbath keeping.

here's a link that might help
    http://www.biblicalperspectives.com/books/sabbath_to_sunday/
    I cannot access the book so I cannot comment on that.
    then ask your church authorities. they will tell you that it was your church who claims to have changed the sabbath to sunday as a sign of her authority.

btw, the book was published by the Pontifical Gregorian University Press.
    then ask your church authorities. they will tell you that it was your church who claims to have changed the sabbath to sunday as a sign of her authority.

Well, the apostles were the original members of the Church. They did not observe Sabbath after Christ's Resurrection. If there is any organization which has the sole authority to change the Sabbath, it is the Catholic Church.
    btw, the book was published by the Pontifical Gregorian University Press.

SDA ministers use many Catholic books, twist their messages, etc. to suit their doctrines.
  • sophionsophion Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    and yes, i do believe he did claim to be God.
    but not directly. he never said "i am God". its all a matter of interpretation.

maybe its not important. for jesus it seems that doctrines arent very important. what matters more is good behavior.
  • for jesus it seems that doctrines arent very important. what matters more is good behavior.

To be more exact: this is for the gospel writers and for Paul about what they wrote about what Jesus supposedly believed or preached. And on the finer details they have some disagreement evidently (being "god" is one of them, being "man" is another).
    To be more exact: this is for the gospel writers and for Paul about what they wrote about what Jesus supposedly believed or preached. And on the finer details they have some disagreement evidently (being "god" is one of them, being "man" is another).

I dont think the apostles really understood jesus. Jesus lived and died teaching people how to live a righteous life instead of filling their head with doctrines.

It was Paul who created a religion based on Jesus...creating rules & rituals. And the apostles tagged along after the more intelligent, more educated and highly charistmatic Paul. Paul was the real mastermind, the true rock/foundation of Christianity. Peter was just a mascott.
  • Sino namang tao lamang ang makapagsabi ng mga sumusunod:

1. I am the resurrection and the life
    2. I am the way the truth and the life
    3. I am the bread of life which came down from heaven
    4. I am the living water
    5. I am the good shepherd
    6. I a the door
    7. I am the light of the world
    8. I and my Father are one
    9. Before Abraham was I am
    10. I am the vine
    11. Destroy this temple and I will build it in three days...
    12. I am the alpha and omega, the beginning and the end
    13. My Kingdom is not of this world
    14. All authority in heaven and on earth is given to me...

He calmed the storm at his command, he casted out demons, He healed the sick, He raised the dead, He fed the 5000 excluding women and children out five loaves of bread and fish...

He forgave sinners. He demanded faith, allegiance and obedience. He died for our sins and rose again and He is offering eternal life.

Who is Jesus if He is not God?

Who is Jesus To YOU?
    Sino namang tao lamang ang makapagsabi ng mga sumusunod

sabihin na nating Dios nga si Hesus. Importante ba sa kanya na isipin ng mga tao na Dios siya? HINDI! Kung importante sa kanya eh di at least inamin niya mismo sa mga apostles niya.

"I AM GOD!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file