PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at pex-info@pinoyexchange.com. Thank you!

depression support groups

im looking for any depression support groups based in manila.

locations or contact infos are deeply appreciated.

thanks.

Comments

• chino.limchino.lim reset PExer
    ano ba exactly ginagawa sa isang depression group?
  • Polly_pocketPolly_pocket Member PExer
    ammm.... I haven't tried pero sabi more on motivation lang to e...hindi ka naman talga matutulungan ng depression group, ikaw lang makakatulong talaga sa sarili mo...I've been there, pero hindi ko masabi na I am totally ok now..pero at least kahit papaano nakakarecover na....prayer is your best weapon sa depression...try to join small group sa church ( iyon kase ginawa ko) pero kung psychiatrist ang kelangan...lahat ng hospital meron nun...
  • panayitepanayite Member PExer
    pa promote lang po, lalo na sa mga taga Hong Kong:

The Natasha Goulbourn Foundation, a non-profit organization into promoting and enhancing the understanding of depression through education and communication, will be holding its first-ever overseas symposium on depression on October 26, 2008 at the Bayanihan Center in Kennedy Towne, Hongkong.

The symposium, dubbed as “Be Happy Again. Overcome Depression” is the pioneer in a series of overseas activities that the Natasha Goulbourn Foundation has lined up to reach out to as many OFWs who are most susceptible to acquiring such illness.

The symposium will have experts to discuss the illness comprehensively. It is also envisioned to be a gathering of overseas Filipinos in Hongkong which shall foster the formation of support groups, crisis centers and similar aid measures to prevent depression and help those suffering from the disorder.

For questions and other inquiries, plaese call Tess Ubamos at (852) 28178928 or visit The Hongkong Bayanihan Trust, Bayanihan Kennedy Towne Center, 55 Victoria Road, Kennedy Towne, Hongkong.
  • suz54suz54 Member PExer
    so am i. maybe from this site, we can collect people to form one. that will be good!:)
    chino.lim wrote: »
    ano ba exactly ginagawa sa isang depression group?

there should be a moderator, usually a counselor...then each participant may open up. it works in many countries to find people who are in the same boat of experience. they share...learn from one another...and basically help to lift each other up.

in this country, depression is still taboo to discuss. maybe the culture...it's not so open yet to express one's negative situation deeply. but this kind of support helps.
  • minami617minami617 Member PExer
    suz54 wrote: »
    there should be a moderator, usually a counselor...then each participant may open up. it works in many countries to find people who are in the same boat of experience. they share...learn from one another...and basically help to lift each other up.

in this country, depression is still taboo to discuss. maybe the culture...it's not so open yet to express one's negative situation deeply. but this kind of support helps.

meron ba tayong support group dito? Or if ever may alam kayo, pa-inform naman. I really wanted to join. Thanks.
  • thepainstaysthepainstays Reaper Crew PExer
    I wanna join too. Im useless.
    i have looked and asked. wala pala. i think it is about time na we take matters in your own hands and form a group here in manila. wht do you think?
    i am going to see a psychiatrist next week. if he is willing to form a support group in manila, i will post it here.
  • jatsterjatster Member PExer
    Hello! I'll try to be of help. I work in the mental health profession and as far as I know, the only support group for people with mood disorders (note that this includes not only depression but bipolar disorder as well), is mood harmony which is based in makati medICal center. the other one I know of but is a heterogenous group accepting all types of psychiatric illness is GROW support group based in metro psych facility in Pasig. Not sure if Mood Harmony is still active but I know that GROW does meet every Wednesday 4-6pm.
  • marlasinger75marlasinger75 Member PExer
    jatster wrote: »
    Hello! I'll try to be of help. I work in the mental health profession and as far as I know, the only support group for people with mood disorders (note that this includes not only depression but bipolar disorder as well), is mood harmony which is based in makati medICal center. the other one I know of but is a heterogenous group accepting all types of psychiatric illness is GROW support group based in metro psych facility in Pasig. Not sure if Mood Harmony is still active but I know that GROW does meet every Wednesday 4-6pm.

Hi, is Mood Harmony for free? I'm a chronic depression/Major Depressive Disorder sufferer and I'm losing hope. I have an appointment with a shrink tomorrow but the cost just makes me more depressed. I really hope I could join a support group/ psychiatrist that doesn't hurt my budget much.
  • Cleric1Cleric1 Self-imposed deadline PExer
    My friend (and some colleagues) who is a life coach organized this event. Seems like a good start for a support group if you're looking for one while enjoying good food:

julesfx.jpg
  • martinekaymartinekay Member PExer
    Hi Jatster! Please inform me the contact numbers of GROW so that I can join them. I have an on and off depression for a long time. Thanks
    jatster wrote: »
  • DarellDarell Member PExer
    Hi Olcaps,
    Don't know about depression support groups but have some tips to sooth depression.
    Talk with your friends and family members and share your problems with them. Get organized, engage in daily physical activities and do start some exercises or sport. Drink more water than routine, eat a well balanced diet plan and if you do not eat well then take multivitamins regularly. Avoid alcohol, smoking and other stimulants and accept the things you cannot change.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file