PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

comm arts question....^_^

:) hi! i'm a comm arts frosh ryt now...just have some questions regarding my course, hope someone cud help! :

what is the quali exam all about? i mean, why is everybody saying that it's difficult?

in dlsu, aren't there any specializations to choose from in comm arts? like i'm only going to focus on photography, or journalism, etc...? are we supposed to take up everythng rel8d to media?

do we have the chance to study about graphics? hhe

pls enjoy answering..thnx!:bashful:

Comments

• oreganooregano Member PExer
    quali exam? i'm id 103 and in my time, there was no qualifying exam. the only requirement to be able to major in commarts was a minimum of 2.5 in litera and english.

anyway, from what i experienced, wala tlgang specialization ang commarts ng la salle. chopsuey siya of everything. you get to experience a little photography, video, tv, radio, etc. pero i don't think you'd be a total expert of any area in particular. siguro MEDYO makakapag specialize ka when it comes to choosing your electives. me, i never got to take electives kasi i'm lia-com so wala akong commarts electives. Pero sabi ng mga friends ko na nag elective, di din naman masyado helpful sa kanila yun.

i don't know if they revamped the curriculum now. anyway, the good thing about la salle's commarts is that you get to experience a little of everything. so malalaman mo what truly interests you. my friends who are really into photography practiced more on their own and worked as part time photographers in The Picture Company kaya gumaling talaga sila. Yung mga maka graphics naman, after namin mag grad nag work sa ad agencies na willing i train sila further. Ganun ang commarts satin. It gives you the basics pero if you want to be really, really good in a certain field, nasa sayo na yun. Kung gusto mo tlga nung hardcore graphics, i suggest mag shift ka sa Multimedia Studies ng CSB. I heard ok daw yun. Goodluck. I miss my commarts days. :)
  • ID 105, graduated two months ago.

Di ko rin naabutan ang qualifying exams ng CAM, so I'm actually surprised to hear na may quali na kayo. Well, unless you've confused it with the quali course (QLY-CAM) that you have to enroll in when you're applying for majors.

As oregano said, your specialization comes (to an extent) with the electives you chose. In my case, I had a mish-mash of minor electives: film writing, documentary film and feature film (because my thesis was a feature film), advanced radio production (because I'm a radio geek), and investigative journalism (because I want to become a writer too). It is your choice, but you're not compelled to stick to one track once you're in there. Suggestion nga lang, it's better if you take an elective that's related to your planned thesis, but don't worry about it now.

As for its helpfulness, well, it depends.

Curriculum... iba ang curriculum namin sa curriculum ng 106 onwards, so love_me_mwah, definitely meron kayong WRITING class (unlike us) and the communication theory subjects. After that, as oregano said, maeexplore mo yung interests mo, which will hopefully guide your elective selection. But think about getting in first. Mahirap sa simula, but once you get the hang of it, you'll love what you're doing.

Studying graphics... well, define graphics! PUBLISH, perhaps, but hindi siya exactly design elements. (Isn't it for OCM majors?) But again your training will somehow suffice. Composition for basic photography helped me with my layouts, for example. You can pursue further training naman if you want to learn Photoshop, for example. May workshops naman for that ang TeamComm and MooMedia if you want to take advantage of it.

So... there. Good luck! It's stressful, I tell you, but it'll all fit the puzzle. :D
  • guo_mei_xinguo_mei_xin Member PExer
    orgcom ako, ID 102, no quali for comarts and orgcom that time. when we had orientation with a communication professor, she was explaining about the quali before our batch.inamin niya na dahil may quali dati is because they don't have enough professor to handle all students, so limited lang yun slots for comarts and orgcom. ewan lang, baka iba na reason nila ngayon
  • love_me_mwahlove_me_mwah Member PExer
    ay..oo ata..QLY-CAM...not exam..hhe... thnx for the replies...
  • love_me_mwahlove_me_mwah Member PExer
    hey guys..juz another question... what does cognate courses mean? are those the 'electives' that we need to choose from?...here's the site...
    http://www.dlsu.edu.ph/academics/programs/undergraduate/cla/ab-cam.asp
  • guo_mei_xinguo_mei_xin Member PExer
    curious lang ako, iba yun comarts sa QLY-CAM? tagal na kasi ako walang balita sa comm
  • hey guys..juz another question... what does cognate courses mean? are those the 'electives' that we need to choose from?...here's the site...
    http://www.dlsu.edu.ph/academics/programs/undergraduate/cla/ab-cam.asp

Yup, cognate courses are the electives. Note, though, that not all electives are available for one term. Before enrollment, you're better off asking Miss Agnes (the secretary at the department) as to what electives are available for the following term.

(Then again, advanced na yung sinasabi ko sa'yo. Hahaha! Anyway...)

Basta you can take one major elective throughout your stay (either JORNPRA, FILMMAN, BRODMAN or FOTPRAC) and... five minor electives? I'm not sure kung ilan na ang minor electives for your batch.
    curious lang ako, iba yun comarts sa QLY-CAM? tagal na kasi ako walang balita sa comm

Enrollment for QLY-CAM is a requirement for CAM students applying for majors. Parang container class lang siya, so to speak, para malaman ng department at ng OUR kung sino ang nag-apply for majors for a certain school year. You'll still have to submit the application form and your grades for the prerequisite courses, though.

Lahat naman ata ng courses (at least for the CLA) have qualifying courses that act as containers during the majors application process.
  • donutzzzzdonutzzzz Member PExer
    Hi im also a comm arts student and im plannig to transfer here in dlsu, so how much is the tuition fee? so that i could tell my mom. thanks anyway! God bless u!
  • siopao_queen06siopao_queen06 LS WVT S78 CHAMPS ✭✭✭
    donutzzzz wrote: »
    Hi im also a comm arts student and im plannig to transfer here in dlsu, so how much is the tuition fee? so that i could tell my mom. thanks anyway! God bless u!

average 50k per term. :) pero sabi nila tumataas daw because of media lab classes.
    thank u! how bout per sem? dlsu is trisem right?
    thank u! how bout per sem? dlsu is trisem right?

yes. 50k nga per term dear. :) we don't say sem, because trimester nga! its called term. :D so lumalabas na average of 150k a year.
    ah ok thank you! Its term not sem hehehe im sorry i didn`t know =)..pero its 4years din no? So 150x4..
    ah ok thank you! Its term not sem hehehe im sorry i didn`t know =)..pero its 4years din no? So 150x4..

3 years and 2 terms, I think.
  • AB-CAM = three years, right? :D

I finished my degree on time, so that's three years, which means nine terms. If you'll defer your thesis, give yourself an extra term.
    can i enroll only for 1 term? coz after that im going to transfer. is it alright?
  • donutzzzz wrote: »
    can i enroll only for 1 term? coz after that im going to transfer. is it alright?
    Pakielaborate po... :)
    my plan is next sem im going to transfer here in dlsu then after that im gonna transfer in ust for the rest of my college years. So bale one sem/term lang ang ieenroll ko sa dlsu coz after that magmomove ako sa ust. How do you find it?
    my plan is next sem im going to transfer here in dlsu then after that im gonna transfer in ust for the rest of my college years. So bale one sem/term lang ang ieenroll ko sa dlsu coz after that magmomove ako sa ust. How do you find it?
  • adikadik GREENer everyday. ✭✭
    Why not move to ust directly?
  • adik wrote: »
    Why not move to ust directly?
    Oo nga... unless you want credits for your AB-CAM courses.

Are you taking the CA program in UST?

Pwedeng hindi ka mag-apply for majors, study floating courses for your last term, and then move... nothing wrong naman with doing one term of AB-CAM, pero sayang lang, don't you think?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file