PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

To graduate, to shift to LIA-COM or to pursue a Master's degree?

Citizen ErasedCitizen Erased I can has cheezburger PExer
I'm a 3rd year student taking up a liberal arts course (AB-ISE), though my interests are geared more towards creative work and media. I'm supposed to graduate next year, and it occurred to me whether I will be able to find a decent job that is inclined more towards my interests. While there are excellent career options offered my course, I'm worried that I could never feel as satisfied with my work as opposed to pursuing a degree that is inclined more to what I enjoy doing.

Thus, I considered the option of shifting to the LIA-COM program, so I could take Advertising Management as a second degree. However, some people have been telling me that taking up a Master's program geared more towards my interests is a better option. (is it even possible to take up a Master's program that is unrelated to your bachelor's degree?)

However, there are some constraints to this:
- I haven't taken up a Math-related subject for two years, so all those basic CBE/accounting subjects might blow me away...literally.
- My parents are nearing retirement age, and they've been nagging me to graduate already

:depressed:

What do you think?

Should I...
...just get on with my current course and graduate?
...take a Master's degree?
...or should I shift to the LIA-COM program?

Comments

• incognito_09incognito_09 Member PExer
    I suggest that you shift to the LIACOM program, you'll just have to extend for 2 years anyway. Just think that you will be able to graduate the same time if ever you had chosen to pursue engineering in a university with a semestral system, where such programs take 5 years to finish.

If the idea about CBE's math/accounting subjects haunts you, then I suggest that you gauge your logical-mathematical intelligence, and maybe you could do this through examining how you performed in your previous math subjects, could be those that you've taken in HS or in CLA. Sa estado ng kakayahan mo sa math ngayon, sa palagay mo ba makakaya mo yung mas mataas na level ng math kumpara sa MATAPRE or STATLIT? Kasi sa totoo lang marami rin nagshishift out ng CBE dahil ayaw/di kinaya ang accounting (karamihan ito), math o kaya yung mga law subjects. Pero actually kahit di ka naman siguro sobrang galing sa math, makakaya naman yun basta masipag ka lang. *okay*
  • Citizen ErasedCitizen Erased I can has cheezburger PExer
    I suggest that you shift to the LIACOM program, you'll just have to extend for 2 years anyway. Just think that you will be able to graduate the same time if ever you had chosen to pursue engineering in a university with a semestral system, where such programs take 5 years to finish.

If the idea about CBE's math/accounting subjects haunts you, then I suggest that you gauge your logical-mathematical intelligence, and maybe you could do this through examining how you performed in your previous math subjects, could be those that you've taken in HS or in CLA. Sa estado ng kakayahan mo sa math ngayon, sa palagay mo ba makakaya mo yung mas mataas na level ng math kumpara sa MATAPRE or STATLIT? Kasi sa totoo lang marami rin nagshishift out ng CBE dahil ayaw/di kinaya ang accounting (karamihan ito), math o kaya yung mga law subjects. Pero actually kahit di ka naman siguro sobrang galing sa math, makakaya naman yun basta masipag ka lang. *okay*

Haha, Math and I had a pretty bad history. :lol: But I guess I could've done better with more effort on my part; wala akong sipag sa Math dati e.
  • CoolCucumberCoolCucumber HEALTH.FREAK.WANNABE. PExer
    Citizen,

Tulad ng sinabi ko sa thread about AB-ISE, that course alone won't get you anywhere [masakit pero totoo, hehe]. Kaya if I were you, get a second degree pero if you do this, probably hindi ka makakakuha ng job sa CLA side ng course mo, business-related ang magiging work mo.

Ganito: take up a second course kung ready ka for a business-related job nga.

It's an MA for you if you're dead-set on pursuing a career related to your current CLA course.

And if you choose to graduate with an AB-ISE degree, malamang sa malamang ay ang makukuha mong trabaho is not related to your course UNLESS you take up foreign language courses in Alliance or Instituto. This will greatly help you. Best of luck! :)

:rpflag:
    Tulad ng sinabi ko sa thread about AB-ISE, that course alone won't get you anywhere [masakit pero totoo, hehe]. Kaya if I were you, get a second degree pero if you do this, probably hindi ka makakakuha ng job sa CLA side ng course mo, business-related ang magiging work mo.
    foreign language courses in Alliance or Instituto. This will greatly help you. Best of luck! :)

Yeah, ngayon ko pa lang talaga na-absorb na baka nga ganun yung mangyari sa akin. Nagkaroon ako ng, er...epiphany nung gumagawa ako ng resume para sa PERSEF, at naisip ko na baka wala akong marating na trabahong magugustuhan ko pag ito lang yung degree ko. haha. Pero tatapusin ko pa rin siya para walang masabi yung magulang ko.
    Best of luck! :)
    Thank you! :)
  • Green_PromdiGreen_Promdi Wanderer PExer
    I agree with CoolCucumber, having a AB-ISE degree alone will not get you anywhere. Embassies, Foreign NGO's and International Organizations only accept employees if they have years of experience, a Master's degree is an advantage. Having mastery over a Foreign tongue is excellent as well. I won't encourage AB-ISE graduates to go work for DFA though. Power relations is eminent in government agencies. And as long as the Philippine socio-political scene stays the same, pursuing a career diplomat path is a steep hill to climb unless you pass the FSO exam, but that won't guarantee a decent lifestyle as well which brings me to the more pratical thing to do after having a degree with AB-ISE, LAW. Yes, go to a law school, pass the bar exam and start earning decent money. An average social science newly graduate earns about 10,000-15,000 pesos. Unless you want to work for money then I should suggest the LIA-COM program.
    Yes, go to a law school, pass the bar exam and start earning decent money. An average social science newly graduate earns about 10,000-15,000 pesos. Unless you want to work for money then I should suggest the LIA-COM program.

My parents have actually been nagging me to take up Law, but what I really want is a career where I can profit from my creative inclinations. :naughty:
  • MA na lang. same lang... 2 years (i think) din, same sa LIA-COM.

mas mataas pa di ba? :D
  • I just thought. You can shift to LIA-COM, graduate, and then take a master's degree, right? You can kill three birds with one stone! Hahaha.

Kidding aside though... you know my answer. ;)
    I just thought. You can shift to LIA-COM, graduate, and then take a master's degree, right? You can kill three birds with one stone! Hahaha.

Kidding aside though... you know my answer. ;)

:rotflmao: Yes, that makes a lot of sense.
  • gerald_totgerald_tot Member PExer
    awww kilala kita :)) akala ko accounting gusto mo? ngayon amg na hehehe
    gerald_tot wrote: »
    awww kilala kita :)) akala ko accounting gusto mo? ngayon amg na hehehe

Nyeeek. Hahaha, di ko sinabi yun. :p
  • zevil89zevil89 Member PExer
    tapusin mo na lang course mo ngayon tapos magmasters ka na lang. Advice ko lang ang course mo doesnt necessarily mean na ganyan exactly ang trabaho mo. Marami ring taga CLA napupunta sa business ang career path :P Kaya kuha ka na lang ng masters or better yet get it abroad
  • keenerkeener Moneymaker PExer
    Take the master's degree.

A liacom degree, kahit dalawa pa yan, bachelor's level parin lang.
    Yun nga rin yung sinasabi sa akin. Sa ngayon kasi hindi naman ako interesado magpursue ng Master's degree sa ISE. E kung kumuha naman ako ng master's sa mga field na gusto ko, sabihin natin, Communication Arts, Advertising, or Psychology, tatanggapin kaya ako, o magiging competent ba ako, kahit hindi ako nakakuha nung karagdagang Bachelor's degree?
    Haaay. Nagdadalawang-isip talaga ako. Oh well. Nandoon pa naman yung factor na kung papayagan ako ng magulang ko o hindi, o kung papasa ako sa shifting exam. :lol: So...we'll see. :p
  • 104xxxxx104xxxxx Member PExer
    AMG-wise, if you plan to add it as your COM degree, try to time your shifting - ideally, you're already taking BUSORGA come third term so you can take MARKET1 come 1st term next school year then ADPRINS come 2nd term (its usual term). kasi sa AMG seasonal ang majors. it can further delay your stay if you don't catch up with the usual flow of major subjects.*okay*

and yes, it's true that what you took up in college is not necessarily what you will do as a job/career. marami talagang ganyan.:)

imo, i think it's better that you take up a master's degree. afaik, pwede ka naman kumuha ng master's degree na hindi related sa course mo provided you take some pre-master's courses to gauge if you are fit or prepare you for the degree (sa PUP alam ko ganito). unlike of course kung masyadong technical ang gusto mong kunin na master's (e.g. engineering) siguro yun hindi na pwede dahil kailangan mo talaga ng solid foundation sa engineering concepts thus an engineering degree.:)

just to share, sa MBA, the degree doesn't strictly require its applicants to be business graduates. sa DLSU at ADMU requirement lang yata nila eh of course to satisfactorily pass the exam, have at least a bachelor's degree and two years worth of supervisory experience as a plus.:D
  • zevil89zevil89 Member PExer
    ^agree ako. Mag MBA ka na lang if you have the time and the money get it from AIM. Or apply for scholarships to singapore, japan or germany (pero dapat above average UP level talino mo para makapasa dito)
  • 104xxxxx104xxxxx Member PExer
    ^ media-related yata gusto ni citizen_erased. hehehe.

since you're nearing graduation with constraints at that, your options are getting smaller.

i suggest that when you start looking for a job (if you decide to just finish AB-ISE), go for jobs which only require a bachelor's degree in any field. there are a lot of marketing, advertising and or media related jobs na hindi naman kailangan marketing, advertising and or media course ang tinapos mo. based from my job hunting experiences, events organizing jobs usually ang ganito ang requirement. from there, work your way to where you really want to go. basta nasa loob ka na, madali ng lumipat.:)
  • popoo2121popoo2121 Nomad PExer
    Pareho tayo ng Dilemma. Gusto ko rin mag Lia-Com na AMG kaso takot ako sa math & accounting. X___x I've decided to take up masters nalang after my undergrad. Iba ang level pag masters eh atsaka mas pwede ka sa field na pinili mo (especially pag yung masters degree mo is related sa undergrad course mo) kasi mas hasa ka na. Also if things don't work well, you could always apply sa DLSU or sa ibang universities bilang professor. :P
  • CoolCucumberCoolCucumber HEALTH.FREAK.WANNABE. PExer
    Sayang naman kasi ang CLA course mo kung mag LIA-COM dahil nga ang future job mo ay more on the business side.

Kung talagang gusto mo na ang trabaho mo ay ISE-related, kumuha ka ng MA tapos specialize in a foreign language. :) Kaibigan ko na nagtatrabaho sa French embassy hindi nag-MA pero fluent sa French kaya natanggap.

:rpflag:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file