Home PEx Family and Society Buhay Pinoy

Boring ba history natin?

Why is it na ang daming tinatamad pag nabanggit ang panahon nila Bonifacio? Is it the teacher's fault? What if you could relate to them as once flesh-and-blood faulty people with personality quirks of their own? Mababago na ba paningin mo? :ahh:

Comments

• i guess if u dont put ur heart on our history, ul really think that our history is boring...but when u come and think of it, our history is more colorful than a lot of countries, esp during the past two centuries...
  • Interestingly enough... yes. Our history's more colorful than the others.
  • I'll start the ball rolling by posting some :eek: and some :lol: trivia. A little of :*) and a lot of :boom:, :evil:, :sweet:, and :ahh:. But not :devil: which is damaging so it gets :bop:.

Hehehe... Sorry. Nagtrip lang.

I'll be posting them sa next message. Peace! :)
  • the_BuGsthe_BuGs PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    hmmmmm sa ngayon tumanda na ako..... BORING NA ANG HISTORY NATIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wala kang mababasa kungdi REBOLUSYON,REBOLUSYON,REBOLUSYON AT ISA PANG REBULOSYOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wala na bang pagbabago????????? KAYA YUNG MGA BATA NGAYON WALANG ALAM KUNGDI MAGREBELDE SA MGA MAGULANG!!!! KELAN PA BA MAGBABAGO ANG MGA PILIPINO????
  • mac_bolan00mac_bolan00 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    tsk, tsk,

I thought this was going to be an intelligent thread. What a disappointment.
  • aliw kaya!
    paulit ulit nga lang.. pero aliw tlga...
  • The only criticism I would give about our history is that we did not have time to form a truly pure national identity. I mean 300 plus years of Spanish rule and then come the Americans, whose influence is so great that we virtually lap up everything they feed us! (not that I'm anti American). It's just that unlike Japan where their isolation from the world for centuries has yielded a strong national character, our people are still a bit confused - What is truly filipino? I mean the word Filipino in itself is already foreign!
    When you do business with an American, you better learn english otherwise there's no deal, they are not gonna learn Filipino to do business with you. So goes the same for the Japanese - you want some business, learn Japanese or hire a translator! I have a friend who works in a Canadian based firm here in the Philippines, his Canadian bosses want him to speak English INCLUDING the American accent because theyu don't like the accent in which English is spoken here! Could you believe that?! That is so imperialist! We gotta start having pride in ourselves as Filipinos without rejecting foreigners.
  • Since malapit na Valentine's Day, kwentong mushy na muna to:

The second true love (and possibly the greatest) of Pepe Rizal was his first cousin Leonor Rivera (and when he first met her she was only 13 and was engaged to him at the age of 15). She was somewhat sickly and after his self-imposed exile in Spain, was even more so (pining away for a lost love should have been cured with "kiss-pirin" and "yakap-sule" :lol: ).

But Leonor's mother was ever so anti-Rizal because of his rebel image and he was then practically a fugitive on the run (thousand pogi-points for the Bad boy image :inluv: ). So she heckled and ranted till her daughter consented in marrying this English Railroad Engineer, Charles Henry Kipping during the 1880s (clean-cut, Gentleman-next-Villa image ;). Di siya bad boy pero mas may prestige ang nationality :*)).

She agreed to marry him on the condition that she would never sing or play the piano ever again and that she would stand beside them during the ceremony and stay with them all throughout their married life. She burned all the letters, and kept them in a little box (with the letters "J" and "L" on the cover). She died giving birth to their second child and the little box with the ashes was buried with her. Her husband Charles, grief stricken with her death went back home to England, never married again and there died sometime later of a broken heart. :~(

When Pepe was informed of her death in Dapitan 1893, he stayed in his room the whole day fondling a lock of her hair really, really, really despondent with the news...

There. The first of a series of trivia and stories. Hope you peeps enjoyed it! :D

• JUST_JTJUST_JT PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    If we don't learn from the mistakes of the past, we are condemned to repeat them.

-Just_JT
    And.true.enough:history.keeps.repeating.itself.
  • boyaxxboyaxx PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    ang historya ng Pilipinas ay historya punong-puno ng pagkatalo sa dayuhan except lang kay lapu-lapu. Full of 'glorified' losses/defeats.

Calling history junkie clockworks or anybody, am i right?
  • LimpBwiZitLimpBwiZit PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    other than Magellan's landing in the south (wherever Limasawa is) and MacArthur's Leyte landing, much of the Philippines' history is about Manila and provinces nearby.

there was a strong revolutionary government set up in the Visayas, independent of Aguinaldo's Kawit Republic, but not a lot of historians talk about the Visayan Republic (and i suspect that because of the Manila-centric order of things, it's a matter of regional pride that Manila wants to claim that theirs was the only and true declaration of independence for the whole archipelago), which was recognized by the Americans and the Spaniards.

this formerly irreconcilable divide between Luzon and Visayas even manifested in the earlier half of the "Third Republic", where there were strong and consistent North vs. South battles for the Presidency.

unless historians integrate the southern struggle into the "national history" of the Philippines, the all-Luzon history for the whole archipelago would just be an intra-colonization device that people from the south could never relate to and would understand as a history of another "kingdom".

observe nyo lang, there's a Rizal or Bonifacio street everywhere, from North to South, but the heroes of southern resistance and revolt are not feted in the same manner in Luzon.
  • I love our history and the people behind it. Lots of backstabbing and controversies among our so-called heroes. ;)
  • boyaxxboyaxx PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    LimpBwiZit wrote: »
    other than Magellan's landing in the south (wherever Limasawa is) and MacArthur's Leyte landing, much of the Philippines' history is about Manila and provinces nearby.

there was a strong revolutionary government set up in the Visayas, independent of Aguinaldo's Kawit Republic, but not a lot of historians talk about the Visayan Republic (and i suspect that because of the Manila-centric order of things, it's a matter of regional pride that Manila wants to claim that theirs was the only and true declaration of independence for the whole archipelago), which was recognized by the Americans and the Spaniards.

If im not mistaken, I think you were referring to the 'Canton Republic of Negros' in the Visayas headed by General Araneta. Hindi bale limpbwizit, meron naman Araneta Coliseum sa Manila.:lol:
  • anilovanilov PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    ^and also by Graciano Lopez-Jaena i think? Ilonggo heroes. :hiya:
  • Lapu-Lapu defeating Magellan is one of the biggest disappointments in World History (but why Filipinos are so proud of it?)

They killed one of the most prominent people in the old history. He could have discovered more and more relevant things aside from circumnavigating the globe and proving the world is round.

Magellan is a great discoverer compared to Lapu-Lapu who only protected a number of people in his tribe. We cannot say that event in Mactan shaped our history. It is really insignificant because we have been colonized by the Spaniards for more than 300 years anyway.

How could a Filipino kill a great discoverer????
  • Ahhh Philippine history.... I love our history! Yes totoo makulay ang history natin!

Madami kasing revolts na nangyayari noong panahon ng mga kastila. Sunod sunod nga mga revolts mula pa noong 1585.... merong Tondo Conspiracy, Ilocos Basi Revolt (when the Spaniards banned basi, the Ilocanos ofcourse revolted), Sumuroy Revolt (Indios back then worshipped miniature stone idols so when the Spaniards banned the worshipping of said idols it was revolting! So we revolted), Cavite Revolt (Indios who worked as shipwrights werent paid, they revolted) and numerous other revolts.

Pero pinaka paborito kong revolt is the Tondo Conspiracy. Tondo Conspiracy kasi it was on a grand scale. It not only involved Manila, Tondo, Pampangga, Cavite, and surrounding areas dying and itching for a revolt, it also almost involved Brunei because one of the conspirators is a son in law of the Sultan of Brunei. It also nearly involved Samurai warriors from Japan and a pirate by the name of Thomas Cavendish who recently captured a Spanish galleon from Manila bound for Acapulco Mexico.

Ikwento ko yung story next time. Promise! :love:
  • maccie wrote: »
    Lapu-Lapu defeating Magellan is one of the biggest disappointments in World History (but why Filipinos are so proud of it?)

They killed one of the most prominent people in the old history. He could have discovered more and more relevant things aside from circumnavigating the globe and proving the world is round.

Magellan is a great discoverer compared to Lapu-Lapu who only protected a number of people in his tribe. We cannot say that event in Mactan shaped our history. It is really insignificant because we have been colonized by the Spaniards for more than 300 years anyway.

Eh anong pake ni Lapu-Lapu kung sino si Magellan? Kailangan protektahan ni Lapu-Lapu yung territory nya.
  • maccie wrote: »

dahil naamoy ni LAPU-LAPU ang plano na sasakupin tayo ng mahigit 300 years? :D

hindi joke laang

napag-utusan ata ni Rajah Humabon si Magellan na patayin ang rival nya sa tribu na si Lapu-Lapu

syempre self-defense lang naman si Lapu-Lapu saka mga ka-tribu nya din

mortal ata kasing magkaaway si Humabon at Lapu-Lapu noon
  • Eh anong pake ni Lapu-Lapu kung sino si Magellan? Kailangan protektahan ni Lapu-Lapu yung territory nya.

clockworks, puso mo naman, brad

nagtatanong lang naman :D
  • LimpBwiZitLimpBwiZit PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    boyaxx wrote: »
    If im not mistaken, I think you were referring to the 'Canton Republic of Negros' in the Visayas headed by General Araneta. Hindi bale limpbwizit, meron naman Araneta Coliseum sa Manila.:lol:

yup, the Federal Republic of the Visayas, patterned after the Swiss Federal structure, it was an expansion of the earlier Negrense Republic that was born after the surrender of the Spaniards to Lacson and Araneta. I think the Federal Republic included Cebu, Bohol, and Iloilo.