Home PEx Sports Sports Zone

AJ "Bazooka" Banal's KO Loss in Laban na Banal

What are you thoughts guys? In my opinion, somehow e may problema din yung referee. And AJ's stamina pala is questionable.

Comments

• keyser_sozekeyser_soze PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    BJ Anal is nothing special. He's a product of local media hype desperate to look for new heroes, a la Pacquiao.

They said Rodel Mayol will be the next Pacquiao - got blown away by Eagle Kyowa and Ulises Solis.

Then they said it's gonna be Z Gorres, labelled by the press as "very technical boxer" - exposed by Fernando Montiel and Vic Darchinyan as a very limited fighter.

Undaunted, they banged on the drums for Rey "Boom Boom" Bautista as the true torch-bearer of Pacquiao - got knocked the fock out by Daniel Ponce de Leon. :pwned big time!

Now, it's AJ Banal's turn to be exposed.
  • "a product of local media hype desperate to look for new heroes"

BULLS EYE!! sapul na sapul mo.

yan lang talaga ang dahilan. pansinin mo nalang sa mga balita, yung mga nananalo sa comptetition na miski kakapiranggot na dugong pinoy eh pinagmamalaki na. OA na kasi ang media kaya ganyan.

its now Donaire's turn to fall.
  • i think m mali don, mdaya ung kalaban na eh tpos ung referee prang bulag. i think banal was a good fighter

Pinoy Negosyo - http://pinoy-entrepreneur.ws/
    2008 Beijing Olmpics Medal Tally Updates and Results - http://boysessence.blogspot.com/2008/07/2008-beijing-olympics-medal-tally.html
    Make Mone Online - http://boysessence.blogspot.com/
  • Jay P. MercadoJay P. Mercado Moderator PEx Moderator
    Guess it has to do with their management outfit, ALA Promotions. Aldeguer has very good contacts with the local press (from Recah Trinidad to Quinito Henson to Ed Picson) which explains why a lot of these boxers come out looking good on paper but when the critical moment comes, they crack under pressure.

Note that their own trainer, Edito Villamor, was another product of so much hype during his heyday back in the late 90's. He was undefeated in the strawweight category and many thought he'd be the next boxing superstar this side of the world. Then, he met the indestructible Ricardo Lopez of Mexico, and everything was downfall from there. Villamor never recovered, retired from boxing, and decided to train Aldeguer's boxers instead.

I like Nonito Donaire and Bernabe Concepcion's chances though. They seem to fly under the radar relative to the ALA stable of fighters - and both have tied up with Top Rank to make sure their careers are managed well. ALA has locked up with Golden Boy Promotions, and we haven't produced a major name in boxing from Golden Boy. With the exception of Gerry Penalosa of course, but we have to understand that the junior bantam champ has been in the business for more than 10 years already. Penalosa was already a budding superstar even during the time when his elder brother Dodie Boy was still world champ.

I remain optimistic with Concepcion and Donaire though. Me thinks these two have been roughing it up and have gained enough experience to make themselves worthy of our attention. Concepcion though has yet to prove himself against a real world-class opponent but at least, he's been logging enough time in the ring to gain more experience and savvy. Donaire, on the other hand, has proven himself worthy with his demolition job against Vic Darchinyan - I just hope he gets the right tutelage so that he can continue winning.

Bottomline, we won't go far if we let our boxers get trained under local coaches. Not to belittle the likes of Villamor but it seems that our top boxers get their acclaim when someone like Freddie Roach handles them..
  • shaq_attacks32shaq_attacks32 Mas CUTE and BIRD namin! PEx Expert 🎖️
    durog si banal. hype nga lang to kasi yung abscbn.

iiwanan yan sa ere ng abs-cbn
  • the_shotthe_shot PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    ^ very well said sir jay! i agree di dapat i-lump si donaire with the ALA fighters..
    Exactamundo! I totally agree.

When I said, AJ and Z Gorres were overhyped, overrated, it's only because of the high-level of technical skills and natural talent I've seen of fighters like WBC & WBA Super Flyweight champion Cristian Mijares. I have videos of his fights against Katsushige Kawashima, Jose Navarro, and Jorge Arce. This guy has it all, text book-perfect punches, he throws all varieties of 'em, and puts punches together in combinations very well. Has excellent footwork, good head & body movement, and gifted with fast hands.

In comparison, both Banal and Z Gorres are just 1-trick ponies.

If Banal can't even win against a 10-2 (W-L), ranked #21, hand-picked opponent, like Rafael Concepcion, in his own backyard, then how could he possibly beat a world-class fighter like Mijares in the world stage?

Z Gorres had his chances to shine against Fernando Montiel and Vic Darchinyan, and he came up short in both oppurtunities. I can't even understand why the local press kept saying that he's a good "technical boxer", he only throws tentative flicking jabs and left straights. 1-2, 1-2, very limited, so 1-dimentional, very predictable. Reminds me of the old raw Pacquiao of yesteryears.

Just shows you the low level of training they're just getting by from the ALA Gym, under the tutelage of Edito Villamor who himself was hyped by the local media in the mid-90's, only to be KTFOd by Finito Lopez.

I agree that our local coaches' techniques are obsolete. They too need world-class training on how to properly 'train' our boxers! Pacquiao and Penalosa's success is due, in part, to Freddie Roach's proven training techniques.

• MilliardoMilliardo PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    BJ Anal is nothing special. He's a product of local media hype desperate to look for new heroes, a la Pacquiao.

They said Rodel Mayol will be the next Pacquiao - got blown away by Eagle Kyowa and Ulises Solis.

Then they said it's gonna be Z Gorres, labelled by the press as "very technical boxer" - exposed by Fernando Montiel and Vic Darchinyan as a very limited fighter.

Undaunted, they banged on the drums for Rey "Boom Boom" Bautista as the true torch-bearer of Pacquiao - got knocked the fock out by Daniel Ponce de Leon. :pwned big time!

Now, it's AJ Banal's turn to be exposed.

"Exposed"? Remember that early in his career, Manny also lost a couple of times. By this reckoning then, he must have been exposed as well. :lol: I think it's too early to write them off--they're still young, and have much to learn. If they can adjust and have the right mental capacity to overcome their losses, then they will come back stronger. Look at Manny--he lost twice, but bounced back from them.
  • ba't laging ganun pag may mga world cup na ganito.. Yung mga Pinoy boxers would end up winning all the bouts except the biggest one which is the main event. Just like this one woth Banal and Bautista.

But then Banal is just 19 years old. Mahaba pa ang karera ng batang 'to..
  • Ang gulo ng commentary kagabi, and Bill Velasco couldn't handle two non-stop talkers.

Anyway, hope that ALA won't push their young fighters quickly for a world-title bout, parang ang bilis kasi ng sikat sa kanila kaya agad agad napapasabak nang hindi handa.
  • color_s_Kaboinkcolor_s_Kaboink PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    hehe i was waiting for a reply kaninang umaga... (was hoping actually since i didn't watch the match last sat... eh wala tapos ni news wala then so i went online and saw the news ...

inooverhype ng dos ... hoping to catch another pacquiao

but i do believe kaya pa bumangon ni banal and hopefully he can show to the world that he's really good.
  • young, up and coming boxers are being rushed by promoters to chase world championships... nagpapdala kasi lahat sa success ni manny... tingnan nyo nga si julio ceasar chavez jr, sobrang padded na yung record nya with low-caliber oppenents pero at least hindi cya sinasabak agad sa mahihirap na laban... sa mga supposedly madadaling laban na kinukuha nya, nalalaman agad nya yung weakness nya na siguradong makakatulong pag dumating na yung panahon na malakihan na yung laban nya...

Banal (19) - 17 wins, 1 loss, 1 draw -- 3 year pro
    Chavez Jr. (22) - 37 wins, 0 loss, 0 draw - 5 year pro

JCC Jr. has never faced anybody inside the top of his division... si banal sabak agad sa top 10... my point is, sana hwag magpadala sa pressure yung mga boksingero na pantayan si manny... hindi naman kailangan lahat maging tyson na naging champion nung 19 years old cya...

wish ko lang hindi magaya si aj kay boomboom na nasira na ang kumpyansa sa sarili...
  • bathousaibathousai PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    aj banal exposed? yes, he was!!! he's a pretty good aggressor but not a good counter puncher!!! if he would be facing opponents like concepcion who knows only one direction which is forward, he'd better know how to counter punch!!!

by the way, aj's loss last night was ruled as a knock out, and it should be because he wasn't able to stand up after the count of 10, but i felt it was due to exhaustion and not because he was hurt by concepcion, the punch that supposedly knocked him down wasn't even solid, i think he even blocked it!!! he was kinda taken aback by the force of the punch and bounced from the ropes and just fell flat on the canvass and then he just didn't want to continue, never even tried to stand up, he lost!!!
  • the_shotthe_shot PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    ang daldal nina dyan castillejo at ronnie nathanielsz
  • blakedaddyblakedaddy Moderator PEx Expert 🎖️
    Our local boxers just need to get trained better.

Pacman was in their shoes 10 years ago, look where he is now.

Penalosa was already being drubbed as finished and yet he snagged another world title.
  • shaq_attacks32shaq_attacks32 Mas CUTE and BIRD namin! PEx Expert 🎖️
    mas iba parin pag kano ang trainer.
  • para sa akin magaling at promising si banal.

kaso di pa sya hinog.

at kelangan din talaga nya ng mas matinding trainer. halatang walang disiplina on the ring si banal eh.
    Milliardo wrote: »
    "Exposed"? Remember that early in his career, Manny also lost a couple of times. By this reckoning then, he must have been exposed as well. :lol: I think it's too early to write them off--they're still young, and have much to learn. If they can adjust and have the right mental capacity to overcome their losses, then they will come back stronger. Look at Manny--he lost twice, but bounced back from them.

Did the average Joe know of a certain Manny Pacquiao, when he challenged then WBC Flyweight champion Chatchai Sasakul?

Did he have the "Destroyer" / "Pacman" nickname anointed by a frenzied media back then? Did he earn that monicker by labouring through the rankings, the old-fashioned way?

Did he have a very influential American promoter back him up? his finances, his world rankings, a title shot... take care of "business"?

Did he have the full support of a giant TV network?

Did he have a very generous patron, with a world-class boxing gym, take care of all his needs? I digress.

AJ Banal had this all leading up to the fight.

Point is - he was supposed to roll-over this Concepcion guy, he was the "Bazooka" after all, as the media aggressively hyped him up to be. He was supposed to be world-class material, a complete fighter. This was supposed to be his breakout fight, he was fighting in home grounds. He was supposed to be an interim champion by now, and challenge WBA Super Flyweight king Cristian Mijares in his next fight.

In boxing lingo, when a hyped up prospect fails to live up to expectations, or, loses in a big fight he was supposed to win, he was getting "exposed".

Just as JCC Jr. getting exposed by Matt Vanda in front of the home crowd.
    Did the average Joe know of a certain Manny Pacquiao, when he challenged then WBC Flyweight champion Chatchai Sasakul?

Did he have the "Destroyer" / "Pacman" nickname anointed by a frenzied media back then? Did he earn that monicker by labouring through the rankings, the old-fashioned way?

Which is exactly the point I am making now--if this was about Manny, and he was just starting, and he got KTFO, then would that mean he's "exposed"? :rotflmao: By your reckoning, Manny's exposed then. We haven't seen the full extent of the careers of these up and coming boxers yet; it's too early to write them off. If they make it big, and do as well or even better than Manny, what makes of your "exposed" cry then? :rotflmao: See, your own post here gives you away--Manny was unknown back then. He lost twice, so if we were to go back in time and we're just watching Manny starting, you're the guy who would scream "Manny's exposed". Of course, if we go forward after those events, you're also the guy with mud on his face for making such a declaration. Reserve your judgment first--we have yet to see how these guys will make of their careers.
    blakedaddy wrote: »
    Our local boxers just need to get trained better.

Pacman was in their shoes 10 years ago, look where he is now.

Too bad keyser_soze can't get that logic--Manny was in the same situation as Banal is now, and he overcame that adversity. It will be up to AJ to overcome this and move on. Of course, like I said, keyser_soze would probably be the first to scream "Exposed" if we go back in time and watch Manny get KO'd back then. :bop: