Home PEx Hobbies Arts and Crafts
Tip: Value your mental health. Put that annoying PExer on your ignore list.

All About Musicals/Showtunes!

Comments

• istarbaksistarbaks PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I was with friends on my 2nd trip to New York. We decided to see the legendary musicals.

We started off with Cabaret at Studio 54 starring Molly Ringwald and Raul Esparza as the emcee. The seating arrangement was the most unique I've been to in Broadway theaters. As the title of the show suggests, the seating arrangement was like that of a cabaret. There were round tables with surrounding four chairs at each table. That was for the orchestra seating. The mezzanine and balcony were as usual rows of seats. There were four of us so we got the whole table. Like in a cabaret, you could order drinks even when the show was going on. I don't know in the mezzanine and balcony areas however.

The show itself was great. The actors also played the music. They had their own musical instruments. When they were not acting on the stage, you could see them on the elevated background of the stage playing the drums, sax, piano, etc. Of course, they did the parts alternately covering the actors who were acting on stage. So you see not only the acting and singing talents but also their strenghts in musical instruments.

Molly Ringwald and Raul Esparza were not the original revival lead cast of the show but they were great, especially Esparza.
    On the next day, we went to see the king of musicals, The Phantom of the Opera. To go and see this musical is not a question of why but when. Kumbaga nasa course ng Musicals 101 yan.

If you have seen the movie, the musical is better. At least for me. I liked the effects of the underground river canal in the musical. Also, the appearing and disappearing acts of the phantom in the mirror, and of course the crashing chandelier. In the movie you'd say, "wow" but in the theater you'd say, "how did they do that?".

This musical deserves praises. I liked it but it is not my favorite for the only reason that it is not a comedy, that's all. Nevertheless, it is one of the musicals you would not regret seeing.
  • Avenue Q followed by
    Rent then
    Wicked
    ^ thanks jenifer_semilla and caryatid_kitten for your posts. :)
  • Chicago, the Musical...A bit anti-climactic if you watch it AFTER the movie, however, the music is spectacular (I love jazz/brass bands) and the dancers are amazing. Just like A Chorus Line - - a showcase of pure talent. I love the simplicity of the show (all black costumes and set). Not for the musical theatre newbie :)
    After watching the king of musicals, on the next day, my friends and I went to see the queen of musicals-- Les Miserables.

Again, seeing this musical is not a question of why but when. Pero ngayon na wala na sya sa Broadway, it's a question of how or where.

Like yesterday's TPOTO, there were many high school students in this musical play. I guess kasama din sa Musical 101 course nila :D

This musical is about 3 hours long but I heard that it was longer than that. They had to trim it shorter in Broadway because the producers would then be required to give the cast and the crew overtime pay allowances. Not to mention that the children in the show were not allowed to be doing the show until past 11pm.

The show was good. The only problem I had was with my friend who loves the show. I had to keep my friend shut up because she kept on singing the songs. I paid to see and listen to the professional's version of the songs, not my friend's. So I was a bit annoyed. I understand my friend though. Maybe my friend was so immersed in the story and unconscious that she was actually singing the songs. I think she believed she was Eponine :lol: Well, one of the best things in watching musicals is having to get into a different world aside from the one you are living in. I guess my friend seized the chance.

The show is definitely recommendable. But not to a musical first timer, especially if that person haven't read the book or seen the movie. There were many characters in the story that could lead a beginner to confusion (and possibly brain explosion :glee::bop:).
    Here are the representative images of the musicals previously mentioned so far:

Miss Saigon
    Miss%20Saigon.jpg

Aida
    Aida_broadway_poster.jpg

Contact
    Contact~2.jpg
    Here are the representative images of the musicals previously mentioned so far:

Beauty and the Beast
    playbill_2033_290883537

Urinetown
    Urinetown.jpg

Rent
    Rent~OBC.jpg

By the way, most, if not all, of the images are the window cards (poster) of the musical.
    Continuation of the representative images of the musicals previously mentioned so far:

The Full Monty
    Full%20Monty.jpg

Billy Elliot
    playbill_2033_287850801

In the Heights
    playbill_2033_372315700
  • Hello guys! Just found this thread. Ever since i was a theater fan. and i really love musicals!!

My Top Picks:

1. HAIRSPRAY - My favorite-est
    2. legally blonde the musical

^ hope you watch those...
  • Wicked's premise fascinated me amidst the screaming tweeners and rock-like music. I still feel it's worth paying the full price.
  • ^^ hi!!

I've seen both musicals and they're both great
    Hairspray - local produciton, though the set wasn't as extravagant as other musicals, but the dancing was fabulous
    Legally Blonde - saw it on MTV special. Elle's fast costume change was amazing. And the "whip into shape" choreography... wow! *okay*
    ^ thanks NJgirl for your thoughts :)
    Still during my trip to NYC with friends, one day my friends decided to see Beauty and the Beast. I, having seen the show, decided to go by myself and see Movin' Out. Movin' Out is a jukebox musical featuring the songs of Billy Joel. I am not exactly a fan of Billy Joel but there are some songs I recognize as his composition.

This was an innovative kind of musical. There was a suspended platform area hanging above the stage and the band stayed there. There was also a guy on the piano and he sang all the songs. So it's like in a concert show.

On the main floor of the stage were the dancers. They never sang a single note. They only danced. The songs were arranged to narrate a certain period of American history. I think it's their involvement in the Vietnam war or something like that. So in other words, the choreography was like interpretative jazz dance. I don't exactly know how to call those kind of dance but I guess that's the best description I can give.

The platform where the band and the singing guy were performing was not immobile. It moved higher, lower, forward and backward depending on the song and the props below where the dancing was happening.

Anyway, I think the show was good. I enjoyed the "concert" part while many in the audience enjoyed the dance. It's not your traditional kind of musical but it's a different kind of musical experiene worth having.

Movin' Out
    Movin%20Out~OBC.jpg
  • ^ I kind of like that 2 musicals too. though not on the top list.
    and, I agree on the Whip into Shape comment :DNapapagod ako pag pinapanuod ko *okay*
  • ^ LOL kakapagod na panoorin. Did you see the mtv special of Legally Blonde? Mejo out of breath na *** singer while doing that scene :D
  • ^ yup. I've watched the whole show (MTV special) on youtube :D In fairness, It's really very hard to sing while jumping rope! haha
  • psssssssssssssst!
    Hands down, RENT is my favorite musical...the story is fabulous and the music is beautifu and moving. I can watch it again and again and again without getting "sick" of it.

my take on other shows:

A Chorus Line - A simple show, really. Not for the Musical Theatre Newbie, I must say, but a treat to watch. It's a showcase of pure talent as the set and the whole production itself is really simple.

Spring Awakening - I was put off when I saw it. It didn't leave me enthralled, so to speak, but as I listened to the album again and again, I fell in love with in.

Avenue Q - Something you could bring Musical Theatre Virgins to. "Easy to digest", extremely hilarious and CUTE! A fun show to watch.

Miss Saigon - Beautiful music. I still can't help but dance whenever I hear "The heat is on in Saigon" (Danced to it as a kid, lol).

Les Miserables -One of the most beautiful musicals I've ever seen - - in terms of music, production and story. The orchestrations are so moving and just like Rent, the songs are inspiring. Too bad I wasn't able to see the re-run :(

Wicked -Perhaps the best "grand musical" for this "era". The music, story and production is MARVELOUS. Defying Gravity is a BEAUTIFUL song that's so empowering and For Good is simply heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. Here's a classic in the making....

Hairspray - Fun and "digestable" :P

In the Heights - I'm not sure if this is a classic in the making, but it was FANTABULOUS!!! This is something even a Broadway-Phobic would enjoy. Wonderful mixture of genres...Hightly Recommended! (Pinoys can very well relate to this musical!)

Gypsy - A new favorite. Superb cast (Patti Lu Pon, Boyd Gaines, Laura Benanti) and lovely musical orchestrations. I love "the strip" very much! However, I wouldn't bring a Broadway newbie to this show - - a bit too long for them. Nevertheless, the cast left me in awe because of their stellar performace...Truly a wonderful classic! (Patti Lu Pone, you're a legend, IDOL!!!)

The Phantom of the Opera - - Another classic which I truly enjoyed. I would love to watch this again :-)

I have more to say, but for now this is it...I'm sure Enteng could give us more reviews!! Go fire, Enteng!

A Chorus Line
    playbill_2033_85616420

Spring Awakening
    playbill_2033_127847754

Avenue Q (4 variations)
    playbill_2033_78620547

Miss Saigon (see previous post)

Les Miserables (see previous post)

Wicked
    playbill_2033_233463818

Hairspray
    playbill_2033_293548931

In The Heights (see previous post)

Gypsy
    playbill_2033_267976805

The Phantom of the Opera (see previous post)
    First time ko makipag-EB sa fellow pexer happened in New York. We agreed to watch the show Thoroughly Modern Millie which starred Sutton Foster (now playing Princess Fiona in Shrek the Musical) heading the OBC. I heard that it was Kristin Chenoweth who created the title role but eventually backed out on the Broadway run because she had a sitcom that time.

Anyway, the musical was about a small town girl moving to the big city to marry a rich man, considered a bold move in the early 1900's (basta, nasa earlies sya, with pastel colors everywhere). But, as modern as she was, she eventually ended up with a poor man.

It's a fast-paced love comedy musical. Big production numbers and moving sets, very broadway. Yeah, I guess I agree with it winning the Best Musical award at the Tony's.

I liked this musical but seeing it once was enough for me. I would definitely recommend it though.

Thoroughly%20Modern%20Millie.jpg