COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

All About Musicals/Showtunes!

Comments

• istarbaksistarbaks Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I was able to see The Full Monty on the day before I went to see Rent. It's a good funny show and the lead cast on that day was Will Chase. I remembered that he portrayed the role of Chris in Miss Saigon Manila. Patrick Wilson was the OBC for this show and I missed it. But Will Chase wasn't that bad so it's okay.

I had a choice, this show or Mamma Mia. Somehow I knew that Mamma Mia would run longer than The Full Monty so I saved Mamma Mia for the next time.

Aside from the show being funny, the female audience in the front rows of the orchestra somehow decided to treat the venue like that they were in a strip club. Whenever the male cast members danced, these old ladies would shout and whistle :bop: . I guess, they were just having a good time :D .

Like I mentioned in my earlier posts, I like comedy shows. The Full Monty stood up to my expectations. Funny, fast paced, nice songs, nice stage designs, etc. It's a good show but I would not say it's my favorite. But seeing it is not a regret either.
  • GilmoreGalGilmoreGal Member PExer
    Saw Hairspray... i love the dance choreography.
    I agree with the actor playing Link ... can't sing, but he can dance
    I love the actor playing Penny.. she's funny *okay*

--- I havn't seen the movie. And based on this performance, i cannot understand some of the words they're saying/singing...
  • diane15diane15 ANUUUVAAAHHH! PExer
    Me too! I watched it 2nd day of performance,
    nakaka-inis. May problems sa mic ni Penny :(
    may mga times na hindi siya nagwo-work.
    ^^ too bad :( di mo ganun ka na enjoy..
    Anyways, i just saw hairspray movie. Disappointing when you compared to the Musical Play.
    I was expecting more from Amanda Bynes as Penny, but she didn't deliver it well, she's not funny at all.And she's too tall and awkward for the role...
    Niki Blonsky is cute though
    James Marsden is a total hottie :D and boy, he could sing! *okay*
  • #1 critic#1 critic Member PExer
    I heard about Shrek the Musical sa Today Show on 2nd Avenue kanina... Not liking it too much. Parang ang redundant.
  • caryatid_kittencaryatid_kitten Foreign Contaminant! PExer
    There are some shows on broadway, though critically acclaimed and recommended by my peers and fellow musical fanatics, I chose not to watch - - one was Legally Blonde, the Musical. I LIKED the movie, but somehow, the thought of Elle Woods on Broadway just freaked me out. LOL.
    I felt like "huh?" when I first heard about SHREK THE MUSICAL :lol: and SPIDERMAN the Musical! whoa. Talaga bang may Spiderman the Musical? I just heard it somewhere...

LEGALLY BLONDE the Musical is... cute.
    but I love love love the movie! Reese = :love:
    There are some shows on broadway, though critically acclaimed and recommended by my peers and fellow musical fanatics, I chose not to watch - - one was Legally Blonde, the Musical. I LIKED the movie, but somehow, the thought of Elle Woods on Broadway just freaked me out. LOL.
    diane15 wrote: »
    I felt like "huh?" when I first heard about SHREK THE MUSICAL :lol: and SPIDERMAN the Musical! whoa. Talaga bang may Spiderman the Musical? I just heard it somewhere...

LEGALLY BLONDE the Musical is... cute.
    but I love love love the movie! Reese = :love:
    Good to know I'm not alone in this hesitation. Wicked was in many respects, a big commercial success in no small part due to genius marketing and razor-sharp planning, pero gawd, nagmumukha silang gaya-gaya IMO. What next, Transformers the Musical?? :yuck:
    Maybe I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to musical theatre...A snobbish purist (feelingera?!) at that! I don't like it when mainstream showbiz actors perform in musicals here in Manila (except for Lea Salonga) - - hence,I didn't watch West Side Story (how was it?!). Too much mainstream peeps. What makes me partial to Atlantis and Rep (over Trumpets, etc)is that they cast people trained in theatre or fresh talents (in the case of Rep, they ted to cast from their talent pool)

I LOVE revivals! :o) Gypsy was MAGNIFICENT! Patti Lu Pon is Broadway LEGEND with GOOD REASON!!!!
    A little update:

I am in New York right now and have seen some more musicals. I will continue posting some of my musical experiences (bilang tagapanood lang ha :D ) next week.

Till then, have a nice day!
  • kid_at_heartkid_at_heart love me PExer
    Legally Blonde the Musical has been filmed and shown on television by MTV. There's a ***** file where you can download it and watch it uncut. It's good! Pretty much the same as the movie! Yet focused more on love.
  • jhnjstnjysjhnjstnjys Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    guys, is what ive read true that spring awakening will be staged in the philippines next year? i wanna watch that please keep me updated :D

i thought of watching hairspray but that didnt happen. though i liked the movie .

and with regard to all these blockbuster movies being turned to musicals, they just have a bad taste in them. clearly some of them are made to milk profit out of successful franchises than to risk with original productions. but im keeping my eye on spider-man the musical only because julie taymor will direct it. ive also read somewhere that bono and the edge will write the songs but im not certain about that.
    Legally Blonde the Musical has been filmed and shown on television by MTV. There's a ***** file where you can download it and watch it uncut. It's good! Pretty much the same as the movie! Yet focused more on love.
    Noted!! :love:
    jhnjstnjys wrote: »
    guys, is what ive read true that spring awakening will be staged in the philippines next year? i wanna watch that please keep me updated :D

i thought of watching hairspray but that didnt happen. though i liked the movie .

and with regard to all these blockbuster movies being turned to musicals, they just have a bad taste in them. clearly some of them are made to milk profit out of successful franchises than to risk with original productions. but im keeping my eye on spider-man the musical only because julie taymor will direct it. ive also read somewhere that bono and the edge will write the songs but im not certain about that.
    Sana nga. This might be the beginning of my theater-going life. I've always been a tv/movie kind of girl e.

I feel the same way about the movie-musical transitions. Shrek the Musical? It's like the movie was already a parody of fairy tales in general tapos gagawin pa nilang musical?? Why do I get the feeling that producers were inspired by Wicked's success?
    jhnjstnjys Saw Hairspray musical first before the movie. I prefer the musical, mas bongga (although simple stage lang). Mas magaling *** dance and mas funny si penny!

I didn't know they showed the Legally Blonde musical on mtv. Will download it now! My sister saw the musical in the US, and accdg to her, its pretty good. Galing ng mga costume change (ang bibilis *okay*)
    They even made a talent search on MTV. It's "The Search for the Next Elle Woods" where they were finding the new Elle since Laura is already leaving the show. wala lang.
    Maybe I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to musical theatre...A snobbish purist (feelingera?!) at that! I don't like it when mainstream showbiz actors perform in musicals here in Manila (except for Lea Salonga) - - hence,I didn't watch West Side Story (how was it?!). Too much mainstream peeps. What makes me partial to Atlantis and Rep (over Trumpets, etc)is that they cast people trained in theatre or fresh talents (in the case of Rep, they ted to cast from their talent pool)

I LOVE revivals! :o) Gypsy was MAGNIFICENT! Patti Lu Pon is Broadway LEGEND with GOOD REASON!!!!

I Agree! Theater is for theater. TV is for TV.
    West Side Story here in PI was too much Commercialized. Ewan.
    but I watched it since Joanna Ampil was there and I felt so happy when Joanna played Maria the night I watched :D

Ang sama nga eh. When they announced that Joanna will be playing Maria that night all the people were like "YAY!!!" hahaha. ayaw kay Karylle. ang sama.

It was good. Rowena who played Anita was amazing. :D She played Ellen on the Aussie version of Miss Saigon.
    I had the chance to see Billy Elliot last week. It was more than I expected. There were more than a dozen children in the cast. The role of Billy is played alternately by 3 young actors on different days.

The show is based from the movie of the same title. I thought it was going to be as serious as the movie. But, they were able to put in a segment that was a big dance number by 2 little boys. It was kind of a fantasy so the stage got big in design, so fancy, so broadway, and the 2 boys were so entertaining.

It's a comedy, drama, sing and dance show. I was completely satisfied. I bet this will be a big contender for best musical award next year at Tony's.

I wonder if it would be the same with the other 2 Billy Elliot performers.

Recommended.

Here's the preview.
    Fortunately, like caryatid_kitten, I was able to see In The Heights with the OBC (Original Broadway Cast) performance (except for Usnavi's love interest). It's a lively show about the changing Latin community in New York city.

While they have good dance numbers and fast beat songs, I couldn't help but notice the similarity of the ballad songs with what Rent has. Yet, I also felt the song's attempt to get away from Rent influence.

Like Rent, the stage was designed with one setting, but it has a much more detailed community facade so you don't have to imagine the house, the store, the shop, etc. The song and dance numbers were good to the end.

It's a very good show and I will not be ashamed to recommend it.

Here's the preview of the show.
  • enteng.00enteng.00 Ma.NY.LA. PExer
    :rolleyes:hohum.
    enteng.00 wrote: »
    Which one?
    enteng.00 wrote: »

ito talaga oh!

Welcome back!!! Ano ang feedback mo???