Home PEx Hobbies Arts and Crafts
Tip: Value your mental health. Put that annoying PExer on your ignore list.

All About Musicals/Showtunes!

Comments

• Jason Robert Brown’s 13 has set a closing date. The new musical, directed by Jeremy Sams, will play its final performance on January 4, 2009 after 22 preview and 105 regular performances at the Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre.

The first Broadway show to star an all teenage cast and band began previews on September 16 and opened on October 5. It features a book and lyrics by Brown (Parade, The Last Five Years) and a book by children's author and songwriter Dan Elish (Born Too Short, Confessions of an 8th Grade Basket Case) and TV and film writer Robert Horn (Designing Women). The show was choreographed by Tony Award nominee Christopher Gattelli (South Pacific). Tom Kitt, composer of High Fidelity and Next to Normal, serves as music director. The production features scenic and costume design by David Farley, lighting design by Brian MacDevitt and sound design by Jon Weston.

"In my entire career I have never seen so much talent in a single company as I have in 13. The joy and enthusiasm of the cast and band is genuinely matched by Jason's remarkable music and the stellar creative team. I am happy to announce that although 13 is saying goodbye to Broadway, we've received much interest in a national and international tour," said Bob Boyett, 13's lead producer.

13 is described as a hilarious, high-energy musical for all ages about discovering that cool is where you find it, and sometimes where you least expect it. Evan Goldman has it all: He's popular, has the perfect family and lives in the greatest city in the world, New York. That is until his parents get divorced and he's forced to move with his Mom to Indiana. Uprooted from his old life, he has to make new friends and somehow maneuver his way through the minefield of high school to become part of the "in-crowd."

The cast features Al Calderon, Eamon Foley, Caitlin Gann, Ariana Grande, Aaron Simon Gross, Elizabeth Egan Gillies, Malik Hammond, Joey La Varco, Delaney Moro, Eric M. Nelsen, Graham Phillips, Allie Trimm, Brynn Williams. Also in the cast are Riley Costello, Henry Hodges, Mary Claire Miskell, Liana Ortiz, Max Schneider and Corey J. Snide. The onstage teen band members are Lexi Bodick, Zac Coe, Adam Michael Kaufman, Zach Page, Chris Raymond and Charlie Rosen.

The show earned the LA Drama Critics' Circle Award for Best Production and Best Musical Score for its world premiere production at Center Theatre Group/The Mark Taper Forum in Los Angeles (December 22, 2006 - February 18, 2007) and also ran at Goodspeed's Norma Terris Theatre in Chester, CT (May 8, 2008-June 9, 2008).
  • Sheht. Andaming nagsasara.
  • Guys, these times are not the darkest of Broadway - there have been far more worse times in History than what is going on in the great white way. Just look at the bright side, shows close and new productions will open...

Dreamgirls
    West Side Story
    On the Town
    Hair
    SpiderMan the Musical
    and others - are on the way of bewitching the Broadway stage this coming Fall onwards!

and new shows like:
    Shrek
    All My Sons
    Equus
    are enough reasons to be happy.

and here are some pictures to prove that i'm still the biggest broadway believer: taken just about 3 days ago when i watched Equus and All My Sons -

IMG-4755.JPG?et=kuOS8z6%2BNIkvU2MpT4fQJw&nmid=139056704
    wih Patrick Wilson (Phantom of the Opera-Movie, Angels in America -the Movie, Full Monty-B'way, Oklahoma-B'way etc.)

IMG-4759.JPG?et=eYl07v8TrNNWEma4VBvknA&nmid=139056704
    with John Lithgow

IMG-4761.JPG?et=jcM7rozy8ugg8YaIDEGOrg&nmid=139056704
    and with Katie Holmes-Cruise
  • Whee!! Equus. It's about time Broadway gets new blood. Wait. SPIDERMAN THE MUSICAL?!?! :lol:

I wonder how big a part Universal will play in the industry. With Wicked's success ilang show uli ang immount nila diba?

Maybe it's just a matter of changing the way people view the industry in general.
  • Yep, Spiderman the Musical is on readings now - my friend is in it - so we are assured that another Pinoy will be in a big broadway musical soon!

I was able to observe one their readings outside new york and its overwhelming and surprising that the book and music are in super coordination. Plus, the production is in good hands since it is under Julie Taymor :)
  • Hey Enteng, how are things back there?! I miss NYC :( I miss broadway -- goodness. I hate you for your photo with Katie Holmes and the other stars!! Grrr!!

Planning to go back next year - - give a list of must-sees! LOL
  • Hey Enteng, how are things back there?! I miss NYC :( I miss broadway -- goodness. I hate you for your photo with Katie Holmes and the other stars!! Grrr!!

Planning to go back next year - - give a list of must-sees! LOL

hey there, long time no talk hahaha! kamusta na?

im going back na to manila this week, but will be back here in feb.

Billy Elliot is good!

And I saw Wicked again last saturday for the *nth time and the current cast is superb - they're not yet in B'way's A-list but surely - they're all amazing.
  • Hairspray Manila is nearing the end of its run! Don't miss it! Catch the CLOSING NIGHT performance on DEC.7, SUNDAY, 8PM at the Star Theater. Call/text Mae at 09063414559 for tickets. Thanks! See you at the theater! :)
  • *is jealous of Enteng*

hahaha anyway, Napanuod ko na ang HAIRSPRAY dito sa Pinas :) ok naman siya. hehehe
  • I will watch hairspray this saturday *okay*
  • Loved Hairspray, saw it 2x - - though not completely comparable to the Broadway cast, I'd say they were pretty good...

...except for the guy who played Link Larkin. Mis-cast. Physically, he was perfect, but once you hear him sing "It Takes Two"...Well, see for yourselves. :-)

Spring Awakening to be staged by Atlantis Next Year! Auditions are on 09 December - - I want to audition for fun! :P LOL. I'm excited to watch - - I hope there will be very few mainstream showbiz actors involved (masama ako! LOL)
  • haha! Agree ako sa guy who played Link :(
    Mechu Lauchenco-Yulo and Michael de Mesa were awesome!!
    I LOVE Menchu talaga!! hahaha :))

anyway, yea SPRING AWAKENING next year!
    tuwang tuwa talaga ako nung nakita ko yung ad ng SA sa programme ng Hairspray!! I'll surely watch it.
    Spring Awakening is one of my many favorites [kahit na super matured contents haha]
  • istarbaksistarbaks PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    As I was trying to answer this question, I found out that there are so many to choose from :confused: . So, I'd rephrase my question:

What Broadway or West End Musical do you like? :)
    I can't pick the best one for me so let me just tell my experience.

Let me start with Miss Saigon. I liked this musical even before I had the chance to see it. The fact that many Filipinos performed in the original production made me proud and made me want to see the show. I saw the Manila production.
    On my first trip to New York city, I was overwhelmed. I was on my own so I didn't have any fixed itinerary. I went to the visitors centre in Times Square and bought a ticket for that day. I wanted the show with the best seat available.

I was given the choices and I bought the ticket for Aida. Pinoy na pinoy pa ang pagkakasabi nung title ng show. Sabi ko, AY-DA. Sabi nung teller, what?. Yun pala dapat eh AH-EE-DA. Aysows :lol: .

I liked it at once because there were many ballad songs in the show. Ang ganda pa ng lighting effects. The lead cast included Adam Pascal (from Rent). I was seated on the 2nd row of the front mezzanine in the small but packed Palace Theater.

For a first show to see in Broadway, Aida was a good choice that I made.
    On the next day, I read the review for Contact. Having won the Tony award for Best Musical in 2000, I thought it would be great so I went to see the matinee show.

I didn't like it.

It turned out that the music was prerecorded and there was no singing at all. There were a few lines of dialogues but most were choreographed interpretation of a social scenario.

The show was good. It's just that it's not my cup of tea.
    After the show Contact, I walked back to Times Square in time for the soiree show of Beauty and the Beast.

I got in the theater half-filled with kids. That was fine, it's from an animated Disney film anyway. I had a good, isle seat. I didn't have to move my head sideways to get a good view. I could see the stage completely out of any head obstruction.

The show began and I instantly felt the Disney magic. Very colorful stage. Very animatic characters.

After about 15 minutes however, I started to doze off. No, I wasn't bored from the show. In fact, I loved it. I felt sleepy because I was tired. I started the day walking in the Central Park the whole morning and then proceeded to see Contact in a theater in Lincoln Center which was a few minutes walk from the park. By the time I got in the Beauty and the Beast show, I was rested and comforted by the songs and felt my eyes bagan droopy. I did my best to keep awake. I was completely listening to the songs but I passed out several times.

Good thing there was an intermission. I took a double espresso to awaken myself.

The second act began and I was actually as jolly as the kid sitting beside me. After about 15 minutes or so, my eyes were shutting down again. I could hear the songs, the orchestra, the exchange of dialogues, but I couldn't help it. I even bit my inner lips, and tongue but that wasn't necessary. I was completely helpless. Well, at least I managed to open my eyes during the main scenes and big musical numbers. The show finished at past 10pm and I would say I enjoyed it because of the lavish production design and visual effects. Very Disney.

Then the coffee started to kick in and I was completely awake until the wee hours of the morning.
    I went to see Urinetown because 1) the ad said it's a hit, 2) the title intrigued me, and 3) it's a comedy show. I like comedy shows.

Urinetown was a satirical comedy musical. The story was good. The production design was simple but enough for the story. The songs were good but nothing stayed in my memory.

This musical is not my favorite but I don't dislike it either.
    On the last day of my first visit to New York, I had the chance to get into a souvenir shop for Broadway items. There I saw was this scarf branded with Rent logo and I noticed there was this number embroidered. Thinking it was a numbered limited premium item, I bought it without thinking twice.

That night, I went to see Rent. I was wearing the scarf I bought earlier that day. When I got in the theater, I noticed the stage. It was bare and unlike the previous musicals I saw, it wasn't grand. I thought, that's it?

As the show went on, I thought that the story was easy to follow. The songs were great and I didn't mind the stage design any longer. The character Angel was perfomed by Jai Rodriguez. At some point I thought he was Filipino. It was December that time and so some of the songs and the winter scenes fitted the weather perfectly. Christmas bells are ringing...

Without a doubt, the show was great. I got back to my hotel, changed clothes to bedtime. There I noticed the designed numbers on my scarf:

5 2 5 , 6 0 0

My goodness, it was not a premium number but the song sung in the show Rent-- 525,600 minutes. I was laughing at myself. :lol:
  • Hands down, RENT is my favorite musical...the story is fabulous and the music is beautifu and moving. I can watch it again and again and again without getting "sick" of it.

my take on other shows:

A Chorus Line - A simple show, really. Not for the Musical Theatre Newbie, I must say, but a treat to watch. It's a showcase of pure talent as the set and the whole production itself is really simple.

Spring Awakening - I was put off when I saw it. It didn't leave me enthralled, so to speak, but as I listened to the album again and again, I fell in love with in.

Avenue Q - Something you could bring Musical Theatre Virgins to. "Easy to digest", extremely hilarious and CUTE! :o) A fun show to watch.

Miss Saigon - Beautiful music. I still can't help but dance whenever I hear "The heat is on in Saigon" (Danced to it as a kid, lol).

Les Miserables -One of the most beautiful musicals I've ever seen - - in terms of music, production and story. The orchestrations are so moving and just like Rent, the songs are inspiring. Too bad I wasn't able to see the re-run :(

Wicked -Perhaps the best "grand musical" for this "era". The music, story and production is MARVELOUS. Defying Gravity is a BEAUTIFUL song that's so empowering and For Good is simply heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. Here's a classic in the making....

Hairspray - Fun and "digestable" :P

In the Heights - I'm not sure if this is a classic in the making, but it was FANTABULOUS!!! This is something even a Broadway-Phobic would enjoy. Wonderful mixture of genres...Hightly Recommended! (Pinoys can very well relate to this musical!)

Gypsy - A new favorite. Superb cast (Patti Lu Pon, Boyd Gaines, Laura Benanti) and lovely musical orchestrations. I love "the strip" very much! However, I wouldn't bring a Broadway newbie to this show - - a bit too long for them. Nevertheless, the cast left me in awe because of their stellar performace...Truly a wonderful classic! (Patti Lu Pone, you're a legend, IDOL!!!)

The Phantom of the Opera - - Another classic which I truly enjoyed. I would love to watch this again :-)

I have more to say, but for now this is it...I'm sure Enteng could give us more reviews!! Go fire, Enteng! :D