Home PEx Hobbies Arts and Crafts
Tip: Value your mental health. Put that annoying PExer on your ignore list.

All About Musicals/Showtunes!

Comments

• ^ i don't think merong hindi super bright or nanginginig. Puro lang kasi bootlegs ang mga videos ng Wicked (with Idina) eh.
  • I just finished watching the movie version of RENT. It was okay for me. I think it's better than the movie of THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. I've watched both only on DVD.

Rosario was amazing. Did she ever play Mimi in Broadway? Idina Menzel is (as always) very pretty.

I think I like LIGHT MY CANDLE better than SEASONS OF LOVE. :)
  • Nope, Rosario didn't played Mimi on Broadway but Tracie is playing Joanne on Broadway right now :)

My favorite Rent song is I'll Cover You. Seasons of Love is really good but it's already overrated.
  • I agree, Rosario Dawson can sing. I like her voice better than the original Mimi

My fave scene from the movie was Tango Maureen = nice choreography *okay*
  • My favorite Rent song is "Another Day". It's such a beautiful song - - and rarely sung by just anyone (ha ha ha, what a snobbish biatche)...winner talaga yung lyrics nito.

Without You is also beautiful. It's so simple yet so real...I'm thinking of making this my wedding march..but people may not be able to grasp beyond "without you" - - baka di maintindihan kung bakit "without you" ang wedding march. LOL. But yes, I love love love Without You. Always makes me teary eyed :)
  • Just saw Cinderella (Original International Tour Cast) Recording in the local music store. It sells for only Php 460.
  • NEW YORK, Oct. 5 (UPI) -- The run of a Broadway production of the musical "Hairspray" is approaching its end at New York's Neil Simon Theater, production heads say.

The head of the production informed cast members last week that the Tony Award-winning musical would end Jan. 18, Variety reported Friday.

While the closing has yet to be finalized, Variety said original "Hairspray" star Harvey Fierstein is expected to take part in an encore performance of the musical.

Fierstein's appearance in the role of Edna Turnblad could take place sometime in November, Variety said.

Since debuting on Broadway in 2002, "Hairspray" performances have grossed nearly $245 million.

While similar stage productions of John Waters' 1988 movie of the same name are doing well in London, U.S. ticket sales have been fluctuating dramatically and a Las Vegas production was deemed a commercial disappointment, Variety said.
  • TimeNow wrote: »
    NEW YORK, Oct. 5 (UPI) -- The run of a Broadway production of the musical "Hairspray" is approaching its end at New York's Neil Simon Theater, production heads say.

The head of the production informed cast members last week that the Tony Award-winning musical would end Jan. 18, Variety reported Friday.

While the closing has yet to be finalized, Variety said original "Hairspray" star Harvey Fierstein is expected to take part in an encore performance of the musical.

Fierstein's appearance in the role of Edna Turnblad could take place sometime in November, Variety said.

Since debuting on Broadway in 2002, "Hairspray" performances have grossed nearly $245 million.

While similar stage productions of John Waters' 1988 movie of the same name are doing well in London, U.S. ticket sales have been fluctuating dramatically and a Las Vegas production was deemed a commercial disappointment, Variety said.

Ahhhh!!! Such sad news! :(

speaking of Hairspray, I'm looking forward to Atlantis' take on Hairspray, to be staged this November. I wonder who're playing Tracy and Edna :-)
  • speaking of Hairspray, I'm looking forward to Atlantis' take on Hairspray, to be staged this November. I wonder who're playing Tracy and Edna :-)

Tracy will be played by Madel Ching of Ateneo Blue Repertory, and Edna will be played by Michael de Mesa. :)
  • Clap the coconuts. After nearly four years, the Tony Award-winning show “Monty Python’s Spamalot” will be shutting its doors at the Shubert Theater on Jan. 18.

The struggling economy has left many Broadway producers nervous that ticket sales may soon drop off. This week is traditionally the time when advance purchases for the holidays start coming in.

Unlike many Broadway shows, “Spamalot,” based on the 1975 movie “Monty Python and the Holy Grail,” made back its investment within six months of its opening night, March 17, 2005. By the time it closes, it will have earned more than $175 million, according to a spokesman.

Directed by Mike Nichols and with book and lyrics by Eric Idle, “Spamalot” is still touring the country, and is also playing in London’s West End, where it is scheduled to complete its run Jan. 3.

Clay Aiken, who has been starring in the Broadway production as Sir Robin, will remain in the role until Jan. 4. Michael Siberry, Merle Dandridge, Tom Deckman, Rick Holmes, Bradley Dean, Wally Dunn and David Hibbard help round out the cast.

For the week ending Oct. 12, nearly 71 percent of the seats were filled, a 16 percent increase from the previous week, but still below the traditional break-even bar. The average ticket price was about $68.
  • Hay naku :( I should've watch Spamalot when I was in NYC :-(
  • im back! im gonna watch Equus, All My Sons (yun palang nabili kong tickets for now) kasi andito pa ako sa LA!
  • NEW YORK (AP) — Broadway's "Spring Awakening" is succumbing to the chilly winds of January.

The Duncan Sheik-Steven Sater pop-rock look at youthful sexual and social anxieties in late 19th century Germany will close Jan. 18 after a two-year, 859-performance run, its producers announced Thursday.

The show is the third Tony-winning best musical to announce in recent days that it will fold in early 2009. Also closing: "Hairspray" (Jan. 4) and "Monty Python's Spamalot" (Jan. 18).

"Spring Awakening," based on Frank Wedekind's classic drama, began life off-Broadway at the Atlantic Theater Company in the summer of 2006. It moved to Broadway in December of that year and won eight Tonys including best musical.

A North American tour is under way, and other productions are planned for London, Vienna, Helsinki and Seoul.
  • TimeNow is the bearer of bad news!!! :( LOL

Enteng, keep us updated on the shows :P I have a few months to save up for my next cycle of Broadway Marathon. LOL.
  • Top 3 faves:

1. Miss Saigon (even tho it's long gone, still my all-time fave)
    2. Wicked
    3. The Lion King
  • illuminaillumina PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Just watched Spring Awakening a few days ago in L.A.. I'm now obsessed with it. :) I got to see Kyle Riabko and Blake Bashoff in the cast. I'm planning to watch it again for a second time (over seeing Wicked at the Pantages) before I'm due to leave in a few days.
  • TimeNow wrote: »
    NEW YORK, Oct. 5 (UPI) -- The run of a Broadway production of the musical "Hairspray" is approaching its end at New York's Neil Simon Theater, production heads say.

It's sad that it's closing. But at least we get a chance to see a Manila staging. For closing night tickets (Dec 7, Sunday, 8pm), you may call/text (Globe) 0906-3414559 or email [email protected].
  • Chenzel for life!!
  • It was the worst of times for Broadway’s “Tale of Two Cities,” it was ... well, that’s about it. The musical adaptation of Dickens’s novel of the French Revolution will close on Nov. 16, its producers announced, just under two months after it opened at the Al Hirschfeld Theater. The musical, with a book, music and lyrics by Jill Santoriello, a Broadway newcomer, arrived in New York amid rumblings of an unsure out-of-town tryout in Sarasota, Fla., and relentless comparisons with “Les Misérables,” which was revived on Broadway two years ago; it received neither the best nor the worst of reviews when it opened on Sept. 18. In a statement its producers cited “the recent recession and stock market decline which have resulted in weaker ticket-buying traffic patterns and steep discounting in the industry” as reasons for closing the show. “A Tale of Two Cities” will have played 33 previews and 68 regular performances; a national tour is still planned.
  • By MICHAEL KUCHWARA – 1 day ago

NEW YORK (AP) — "Young Frankenstein" is closing after nearly 500 Broadway performances, a much shorter run than Mel Brooks' previous big stage effort, "The Producers."

The decision was announced Sunday by producer Robert F.X. Sillerman. Brooks' monster spoof, based on his 1974 movie, will have played a little over a year — 484 performances — when it folds Jan. 4.

"As anyone who has seen this stunning production can attest, it is a spectacular and extravagant musical," Sillerman said in a statement. "In these uncertain economic times, my partners and I have decided to end our run on Broadway and focus our efforts on the first national tour, which will launch in September 2009."

It's uncertain how much of the show's considerable production costs have been recouped since the musical opened in November 2007 at the Hilton Theatre, one of Broadway's largest houses.

In the past, Sillerman has declined to publicly reveal what "Young Frankenstein" cost or its weekly grosses. Other Broadway shows release their grosses each week in a report put out by the Broadway League, the theater's trade organization.

Most musicals with big casts and lavish sets and costumes similar to "Young Frankenstein" cost $15 million to $20 million these days.

"Young Frankenstein," which was the most anticipated Broadway musical of last season, stars Roger Bart as the title character. The current cast also includes Shuler Hensley as the monster and Beth Leavel as Frau Blucher.

Brooks co-wrote the book for stage show with Thomas Meehan. He also contributed the music and lyrics. The musical was directed and choreographed by Susan Stroman.

The three had previously been involved with "The Producers," which ran for six years and won a record-breaking 12 Tony Awards, including the prize for best musical.

Business on Broadway usually skids in January after the holidays. Also ending their runs in early 2009 are "Hairspray" and "13," both shutting Jan. 4; "Monty Python's Spamalot," closing Jan. 11; and "Spring Awakening" bringing down the curtain Jan. 18.