COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

All About Musicals/Showtunes!

Comments

• gohattogohatto ephebo PExer
    much better ang West End musicals. i went to London last year and watched Billy Elliot the musical. it was beautiful.
  • enteng.00enteng.00 Ma.NY.LA. PExer
    billy elliot is coming here in new york. hehe.

my two cents, broadway has better recordings than west end.

1_128976504l.jpg
    (sharing to you one of my most treasured broadway pics taken last saturday. hahaha! especially dedicated to diane15 - here it is. :) )
  • diane15diane15 ANUUUVAAAHHH! PExer
    ^^^ Awwwww!! SWEET!

I want a Broadway experience!! I want to experience waiting on the stage door for lots of minutes and pushing other fangirls around lol j/k
    diane15 wrote: »
    ^^^ Awwwww!! SWEET!

I want a Broadway experience!! I want to experience waiting on the stage door for lots of minutes and pushing other fangirls around lol j/k

alam mo, waiting at stage doors is always an experience worth remembering. not only you see, greet and meet your favorite idols, but you get to meet different people with vast personalities and characters - and sometimes, it feels good to pick on someone who is quite 'airy'/super yabang and someone who is a 'know-it-all-about-broadway' who infests the stage doors most of the times. hahahaha.
  • caryatid_kittencaryatid_kitten Foreign Contaminant! PExer
    caryatid_kitten hates enteng because of the picture :(

...or should I just blame the LIRR for their schedule??? LOL

About West End vs Broadway recordings...unfortunately, I have not seen a West End show...I personally feel that the Les Miserables Original London cast is far more better than the Original Broadway Cast...That's just me. My favorite recording of Les Miserables would be the Complete Symphonic Recording :) Ha ha ha...Ah! They should come out with complete symphonic recordings of all musicals...

You know what I'm hoping they come out with...Wicked Tokyo Cast album :D hahhaha...I heard the Japanese's version of Defying Gravity on YouTube and it's pretty good...My other dream is to have versions of Defying Gravity by all the Elphies :P LOL So far I only have Julia Murney, Idina and the Japanese girl :P - - and that's thanks to you tube.

Rent Manila cast album would have been nice too...They only came out with Seasons of Love and One Song Glory. Pero, lam mo naman sa pinas baka di mabenta...Actually, talent wise, okay lahat ng Filipino productions na napanuod ko....

Do any of you remember Repertory Philippines' Les Miserables???? That was good....Too bad they don't come out with major off season plays anymore :(

Any of you Repertory Philippines Season Ticket Holders by any chance???? I caught some really good plays (straight play and a musical) one season...I'm thinking if I shoudl buy season tickets again :)
    enteng.00 wrote: »
    alam mo, waiting at stage doors is always an experience worth remembering. not only you see, greet and meet your favorite idols, but you get to meet different people with vast personalities and characters - and sometimes, it feel good to pick on someone who is quite 'airy' and someone who is a 'know-it-all-about-broadway' who infests most of the stage doors. hahahaha.

I'm a broadway know it all..aren't we all? LOL Just don't get too airy about it...LOL....Speaking of Broadway Know it All...So I was watching Rent and there were these girls behind me...one was a suppossed Rent Expert. Conversation was as follows:

Girl 1:(the Rent Expert) "Oh the original cast was sooo much better than this cast. Mimi already made 6 mistakes so far..."

Girl 2: (Newbie, I suppose) "I see! How was the movie?!"

The Rent Expert: "Oh, the movie was quite alright...Only Roger was from the Original Broadway cast...MICHELLE RODRIGUEZ played Mimi in the movie...You gotta hand it to her...She was pretty good"

Imagine the mean smirk I had on my face when I heard that. LOL.
    ^ Hahaha :lol: know-it-all kuno :lol:

Tracie Thoms will be playing Joanne sa Broadway until the last run. Wow.
  • TimeNowTimeNow Member PExer
    Haven't watched RENT yet. Though I do love 'Seasons of Love'. Is the movie a good enough substitute for the theatrical performance? Since it consists a lot of the original cast...

I didn't watch The Phantom of the Opera on Broadway too. Am not really fond of 'All I Ask of You' and 'The Music of the Night' so I just watched the movie version. I didn't like it. :( Thank goodness it was just on DVD.
    TimeNow wrote: »
    Haven't watched RENT yet. Though I do love 'Seasons of Love'. Is the movie a good enough substitute for the theatrical performance? Since it consists a lot of the original cast...

I didn't watch The Phantom of the Opera on Broadway too. Am not really fond of 'All I Ask of You' and 'The Music of the Night' so I just watched the movie version. I didn't like it. :( Thank goodness it was just on DVD.

I'm a purist and I always say that seeing a musical on film is NOT the same as seeing it on stage :P LOL. However, if you want to get the jist of the story and hear the songs - - I should say the movie is true to the original. It's actually one of my favorite moview - - never fails to make me cry :) I read something online about Broadway plays being translated to films. Movies are more accessible, obviously.

Speaking of stage-to-film translations, I immensely enjoyed Mamma Mia! The Movie. I actually found the stage version a bit lame and "corny" -- don't get me wrong - - I ENJOYED it, mainly because I'm a (closet?!?!) Abba fan :) It's fun to watch.

What can I say about Chicago, the Musical - -hmmm...If you're a Broadway/stage newbie and you see the movie before the film, you MIGHT find yourself disappointed with the simplicity of the show. I LOVED the stage version. The sexiest musical ever in my book. I loved how everything was soo black...I'd like to play Roxie Hart one day (makulit yung stage Roxie eh...ha ha ha)
    Oh my, MAMMA MIA movie was awesome! Meryl is a bomb!!
    One of the best movie version of a musical!

Rent movie was good! haven't seen the stage version personally (only on youtube) but I take that the stage version's better 'coz it's more intense and the music is kinda different from the movie's.
    don't worry - you guys, the last performance of Rent here on Broadway will be re-produced as a DVD and will be available by fall season this year.

i almost choked with that 'michelle rodriguez' thingie - hahaha. some broadway fans are way over crazy and tend to be annoyingly funny, especially, for example - an obese-white-fully-freckled-20-ish-girl hahaha.

Mama Mia is better than the actual show on broadway.
    Rent on Broadway is so much better than the motion picture.
    Chicago is done beautifully both in Film and the actual staging, and so is the Dreamgirls.

Rent and The Producers are like, the worst adaptation of a musical to a motion picture.

Anyway, guys - let's keep our fingers crossed, kasi there are some friends here who are in some readings now for upcoming shows off-broadway - sana they could make it on broadway. And , let's pray - Damn Yankees could make it on Broadway too - so we could see more of Sean Hayes, Jane Krakowski and ehem - whaoh (super hott!) Cheyenne Jackson!!!!!!
  • shopgalshopgal Member PExer
    my top three favorite musicals are (in no particular order, depends on the songs i'm craving for) rent, miss saigon and tic tic boom.

for hairspray fans, hairspray is coming to manila! for tickets, please visit TheaterLovers. we have an ongoing early bird promo.
    shopgal wrote: »
    my top three favorite musicals are (in no particular order, depends on the songs i'm craving for) rent, miss saigon and tic tic boom.

for hairspray fans, hairspray is coming to manila! for tickets, please visit TheaterLovers. we have an ongoing early bird promo.

sino-sino cast??? sino si Tracy? :D he he he
  • shopgalshopgal Member PExer
    sino-sino cast??? sino si Tracy? :D he he he

no final word on the lead characters yet. Atlantis has confirmed
    Nyoy Volante (Seaweed), Michael de Mesa (Edna), Menchu Lauchengco Yulo (Velma), Dulce (Motormouth Maybelle) and Leo Rialp (Wilbur Turnbald) to lead the cast.

after aiza seguerra's impressive performance in Avenue Q, i'm looking forward to seeing nyoy volante as seaweed. :)
    im totally hooked with [title of show]

it is the next big thing on broadway.

i'm so happy because i was able to see it here during the opening week! haha! im predicting, it'll grab major tony's for next year! promise!

caryatid_kitten - have you seen the preview of this show ba when you're here in NYC?
    enteng.00 wrote: »
    im totally hooked with [title of show]

it is the next big thing on broadway.

i'm so happy because i was able to see it here during the opening week! haha! im predicting, it'll grab major tony's for next year! promise!

caryatid_kitten - have you seen the preview of this show ba when you're here in NYC?

nope :( I should have. It was listed on TKTS when I was there..Augh...If that wins the Tony's..I missed my chance of watching it for less than 100 USD :( *stupid me*
    ^ sayang!

my gosh, even broadway's bigwigs are watching the show!!! katabi lang namin kagabi si Julia Murney (Elphaba replacement on Broadway and Touring) sa seat and we were just laughing all throughout the show! Hilarious and full of wit ang [title of show] !!!!!

keeping my fingers crossed, they will win big tony's next year!
    **** kanina, we were just strolling around times square and there, nakasalubong namin si Mariah Carey, bumibili ng ticket for lion king. hahaha. na capture ko pa sa video ko. hahahahahaha! ang daming tao at paparazzi kanina!!!!
    you'll all hate me for this, but don't Annabel Rama and Ruffa Guittierez remind you Mama Rose and Gypsy Rose Lee...LOL
  • h2obabyh2obaby oh hai there :3 PExer
    It's been a year and a half since I caught Wicked at the Canon Theater in Toroto, and I'm still hooked! You can say that I've been put under a spell.. Wickedified, even! The show was a Megan Hilty-Shoshana Bean team-up, and I have to say that they both did an amazing job.

I like Megan's Glinda better than Kristin's, based on the performance videos posted on YouTube. Kristin's was a funnier version, although I like Megan's blonde twist to her's. :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file