Home PEx International Entertainment International TV

Freaks and Geeks

Just started watching it. Pretty good! *okay* *okay*

wikipedia:

Freaks and Geeks is an American television series, created by Paul Feig and produced by Judd Apatow, that aired on NBC during the 1999–2000 television season. Although the show, considered a comedy-drama, garnered much critical acclaim and a devoted cult following, repeated preemption and scheduling changes hurt its ratings. It was cancelled after only 12 episodes had aired.

A fan-led campaign caused NBC to broadcast three more episodes in July 2000; three others would not be seen until September of that year, when the cable network Fox Family Channel aired them in syndication. The complete series was later released on DVD.

Comments

• this show is awesome! buti nalang someone posted the entire series in youtube! i love jason segel, seth rogen and james franco as the freaks
  • this is so 80s. i love the 80s style and music although I am more of a 2000s teen. also love the joan jett opening song of the show.
  • this is how i came to realize the greatness that is james franco!

watch the pineapple express!!! riot to!
  • I :heart: Jason Segal here. He's so much more adorable in this than in How I Met Your Mother, but labs ko din naman si Marshmellow.

Nakakatuwa yung mga geeks. :rotfl:

How many episodes does this series have? I know there's 12, then another 3, and then another 3? And then a DVD release?
  • There are 18 episodes. *okay*

I have all the episodes downloaded. God, this is one of my favorite shows of all time. And that is quite a feat because it only has 18 episodes. Damn you, NBC!
  • CaRaMBaCaRaMBa Administrator PEx Moderator
    "Discovered" this through greggytorned. :D

Good series, too early for its time. Already on the 17th episode and I'm getting sad! 1 more episode to go!
  • CaRaMBa wrote: »
    "Discovered" this through greggytorned. :D

Good series, too early for its time. Already on the 17th episode and I'm getting sad! 1 more episode to go!

Hahaha! Much welcome, CaRaMBa! :D

Go check Judd Apatow's other dearly departed show Undeclared. It had one season din lang. Seriously if both shows premiered now, they would have been hits.
    Yep planning to do that.

Yun na yon???
    Kakainis naman bitin!!
  • awesome series. plus, the actors looked like realistic teenagers, they didn't look too glamorous. i want to introduce it to my friends, parang alam lang kasi nila glee. :lol:
  • One of the best shows on Television ever. None of those teenage vampire ***** and high school "musical" *****.
  • One of the best shows on Television ever. None of those teenage vampire ***** and high school "musical" *****.

I totally agree with you. This is one of the only teen shows that I actually related to.
  • CaRaMBa wrote: »
    Good series, too early for its time.
    Go check Judd Apatow's other dearly departed show Undeclared. It had one season din lang. Seriously if both shows premiered now, they would have been hits.

I had the same sentiments:
    faux_ph wrote:
    I was having a marathon 'Freaks & Geeks' last weekend and couldn't help myself that I wished this show was still running (1 season - 18 episodes). This tv series was prematurely cancelled due to its low volume of viewership and high production cost. I could attribute the low viewership to its boldness and innovation, (making a story about growing-up during puberty, postpubescent/ early adult years with vivid realism of the early 80's era).The show was ahead of its time! The high production cost could be attributed to the fact that they are using soundtracks of real period-specific music of it's time (classic rock such as Rush, The Who, Grateful Dead, etc) and these cost a lot in clearing the music rights. If this show would have been shown in today's period of high-budgeted TV production, this would have been kick-a$s!

Anyway, I felt nostalgic after completing this and made me rethink of the shows that was prematurely cancelled and wish that would have a resurrection:
    1.) Freaks and Geeks
    2.) Undeclared
    3.) Firefly
    4.) Terminator - The Sarah Connor Chronicles

What's yours?
    http://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475152
    ^galacticninja - Not sure if you're referring to Vampire Diaries. That's definitely not a ***** show.

I wish they can do a Freaks and Geeks reunion, yung tipong Lindsay and friends in their 30's. :)
  • The cast had a reunion and discussed their experiences with the show back then:

Judd Apatow's 'Freaks and Geeks' gang reminisces
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2011/03/freaks-and-geeks-paley-fest-judd-apatow-james-franco-jason-segel-seth-rogen.html
  • ^I'm laughing at Kim Kelly getting pregnant. It sucks this show was cancelled so soon.
  • I wish Martin Starr (Bill Haverchuck - Sam's tall, socially awkward friend) one of my favorite characters there and Natasha Melnick (Cindy - Sam's crush) were also there (or were they there but just weren't in the article?).
    spacesamba wrote: »
    ^I'm laughing at Kim Kelly getting pregnant. It sucks this show was cancelled so soon.
    I LOL'd at this: "Rogen kidded that a then-13-year-old John Francis Daley, who played Sam Weir, still believed in Santa Claus when they filmed the show.

"I also didn't have pubic hair," Daley said, laughing."

Sad story behind the show: "A lot of us were kids, and have no higher education because of you."

Segel said he did decide not to go to college to act on "Freaks and Geeks"; Rogen dropped out of high school; Phllipps and the show's lead actress, Linda Cardellini, both dropped out of college.

"I was supposed to be surgeon general," Segel faux-lamented."

Another interesting article about this:

Freaks and Geeks Cast Recalls James Franco's Method Acting
    http://www.dose.ca/Freaks+Geeks+Cast+Recalls+James+Franco+Method+Acting/4436348/story.html
  • ooh i love this show!although sa youtube ko lang pinanood yung buong season:D
  • One of my favorite TV shows ever! :) The final scene of the finale just makes you smile. :D

It may have been canceled too soon but Freaks and Geeks is TV perfection.
  • Plantation BoyPlantation Boy PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    cynderssor wrote: »
    this is so 80s. i love the 80s style and music although I am more of a 2000s teen. also love the joan jett opening song of the show.

TV sitcoms set in the 80's are almost racist, except that the FCC cannot go after them because it is a period sitcom.
    Just like the current new "The Goldbergs" is also sort of set in the 80s thru flashbacks. The ACLU and NAACP cannot go after these shows, because there were not much illegal Mexican immigrants yet in the 80s, so almost all of the stars in these shows are white! No ethniic accent characters.

(Freeks and Geeks launched the career, among others, of John Francis Daley. He was 13 years old then, while James Franco was already 21 then)