Home PEx Business and Careers The Working Filipino
Are you a pageant expert? Join the PEx Miss Universe Quiz Night on May 16!

is it THAT important??

is the T.O.R. really THAT important to ALL companies???
i graduated with a BSEE (electrical engineering) degree.
but the problem is hindi maganda ang transcript ko... i have quite a number of 5's :( (failing grades) :(
what i fear is that i'll be having a REAL HARD TIME getting a job because of it :(
at the moment im taking a review course for preparation for my board exams this coming april... hopefully i'll make it :wonder:
right now i fear what the future has in store for me :(

Comments

• aticusaticus PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    It's not that important, unless of course the job you're applying to is in-demand. When that happens, companies look for candidates who have differentiated themselves from the pack, and sorry to say but honors students or those with high grades DO have an advantage.

The best thing to do if you suspect your transcript isn't up to snuff is to involve yourself in good, extra-curricular activities. For instance, if you have bad grades, but you're President of the Student Council, and you spearheaded a million-peso fund-raiser for your scholarship fund, you immediately become more attractive. Companies are also looking for people who demonstrate real-world skills that show initiative, competence, organization-skills, etc., etc. Another good way to make yourself more attractive is to get a part-time job with a company in a similar field with your dream company. That way you can say you have relevant work experience.

That said, pls. choose activities that are relevant to your future "dream job." For example, if you want to be an electrical engineer, volunteer for projects with some level of engineering. Say you helped set up the electrical system of a small barrio during a school immersion, or helped plan the new electrical plan for the next school building. That would make you much more valuable than someone who just loafed through college.

There's no way to change your grades, but don't let it stop you from improving yourself. If the road to success is blocked, don't let it stop you. Either climb over the barrier, or build a new road. :) Good luck!
  • zimdudezimdude PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    ... recruiters in the tech field know better than to look at just grades ;)

... back when I was recruiting, I didn't look at them myself, but of course the HRD could have.
  • KuyaDannyKuyaDanny Moderator PEx Moderator
    I remember that, when I was still looking for jobs, transcripts were required to be submitted after the offer of employment is made. The only point in requiring them, I think, is to make sure you are not lying when you say you graduated from this or that school.
  • that's why i don't like coursing my application through HR. i'd rather go straight to my prospective boss. how can you respect someone who doesn't understand your avocation?
  • CaRaMBaCaRaMBa Administrator PEx Moderator
    It really depends on the company. Some companies just use it to check if you've really graduated and if you really went to the school that you mentioned. Some companies check if you're good with certain subjects - being good in some subjects might mean something and might be valuable to them. Some companies, unfortunately, really look at the grades and if you have several F's, well, it's bye bye for that applicant.