Home PEx Campus University of Santo Tomas
Ho-Ho-Hope you have a holly jolly holidays, PExers!

Questions regarding UST medicine

hi! good day fellow thomasians! i just want to ask students from faculty of medicine and surgery some questions regarding admission to USTFMS.It has been one year since i graduated and i plan to pursue medicine.
- what are the requirements to be admitted to USTFMS?
- what is the minimum NMAT average required?
- What are the basis of evaluation to be admitted aside from GWA and NMAT?
- i graduated with latin honors. Would that be an advantage?
- Are there scholarships being offered?If yes, what should be my GWA in order to maintain the scholarship.
- What month should i take my NMAT?April or december?CAn i still b admitted for academic year 09-10 if i'll take my NMAT by April 09?
- Is NMAT difficult?

i hope someone will take time to answer my questions. Thank You in advance!

Comments

• You can visit the UST website at www.ust.edu.ph. A better option is to drop by the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery at St. Martin de Porres Bldg, UST.
  • - What month should i take my NMAT?April or december?CAn i still b admitted for academic year 09-10 if i'll take my NMAT by April 09?

hello!

NMAT is still part of their requirements for eligibility for 1st yr. if u are targetting the academic year 2009-10, the latest NMAT the admissions committee can accept is December 2008. the initial list of accepted applicants for 1st yr is released between February-March.

if u are taking the NMAT 2 months before the start of school year, do not expect your name to be included in the list coz your requirements are incomplete.

is NMAT difficult? that would depend on your pre-med. NMAT covers most basic subjects in Science, Math, Social Sciences, Logic, & others (sorry i can't remember them all). if your pre-med (ie. BS Bio) had all of these, well and good. otherwise, you'd have to find ways to familiarize yourself.

as for your other questions, you'd have to go to the Admissions Committee. btw, applications start around September.

goodluck!
  • - i graduated with latin honors. Would that be an advantage?
    - Are there scholarships being offered?If yes, what should be my GWA in order to maintain the scholarship.

Regarding scholarships, if you graduated with latin honors from UST then you can inquire at the OSACS about the scholarships given to those who graduated with honors. It is also applicable in Medicine but that is on a case-to-case basis. The maintaining average I think was 85%. This scholarship is relatively easy to achieve.

Non-honor students have to build-up a respectable and competitive average first during their first year in Med plus you must convince the Medicine scholarship committee that you are really financially challenged, in order to get a scholarship grant. During my time, I had to maintain an average of at least 86% for me to keep my scholarship since they are re-evaluated every semester. It is not formally stipulated but nakakahiya kasi sa donor if you fail to come-up with a decent average. This kind of scholarship is not that easy to get nowadays. Pero syempre dapat i-try na rin kasi sayang naman.
  • fritz, MD wrote: »
    This kind of scholarship is not that easy to get nowadays. Pero syempre dapat i-try na rin kasi sayang naman.

At dahil hindi naman din kasi mura mag-aral sa UST Med. :lol:

P90k for a semester?

Yikes!