Home PEx Campus University of Santo Tomas
Ho-Ho-Hope you have a holly jolly holidays, PExers!

Bakit walang dentistry sa USTE?

shamhoyshamhoy PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
Does anyone know?

Comments

• If Im not mistaken, UST used to have Dentistry way back in the 1900s. But this info needs confirmation.
  • Nagkaron ba talaga? Wala lang, I was actually thinking before pa bakit nga ba wala hehe :)
  • I read from an old old old bulletin of UST (it's like an annual report) sa office ng Red Cross.
  • clawed_outclawed_out PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    My add almost caused me to react 1990?!

eh sana naalala natin yun! :glee:

1900 pala.
  • coloradocolorado PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Off Topic:

Beginning next school year, College of Rehabilitation Sciences announces its new course offerings for school year 2009-2010.

CRS will offer programs leading to BS Speech Pathology and BS Respiratory Therapy.

:)
  • archangel is right, UST used to offer dentistry before. But I think---not really sure about this---the program was scrapped because it did not live up to the standards that were set at the time.

I'll try to look it up to check its veracity.
  • ^^ wow! good for CRS! new offerings from the college, kulang ang mga magagaling na speech pathologists sa pinas. plus meron naring RT another wow! mabuhay ang CRS.
  • Ashlars wrote: »
    archangel is right, UST used to offer dentistry before. But I think---not really sure about this---the program was scrapped because it did not live up to the standards that were set at the time.

I'll try to look it up to check its veracity.

I've read this from an annual bulletin UST (in our Red Cross office) used to issue yearly. It was way back in the 1900s, Im assuming even before UST moved to its Espana campus.

Sige Ashlars, pls verify this info.
  • As early as the seventeenth (17th) century, the University of Santo Tomas (UST) had already been granting masterate and doctoral degrees. The different faculties and colleges supervised their respective undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate programs.

It was in 1619 when Pope Paul V granted the faculty to confer degrees to all Dominican colleges in the New World including the Colegio de Santo Tomas which had been founded on 28 April, 1611 by the Superiors of the Dominican Province of the Holy Rosary. In 1629, Pope Urban VIII issued a Papal Document renewing the authority of Santo Tomas to confer degrees. On 20 November, 1645, Pope Innocent X raised the Colegio to the status of a “University” with civil and ecclesiastical faculties. It was placed under the continued administration of the Order of Preachers, and its authority to confer degrees became permanent. In 1785, King Charles III of Spain granted the University the title of “Royal.” In the twentieth (20th) century, the University operated under the laws of the state that exercised jurisdiction over the civil faculties. Permission and approval were granted and renewed by the Bureau of Education during the Commonwealth, later by the Department of Education of the Republic of the Philippines, the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sports (MECS), and again by the Department of Education, Culture and Sports (DECS); and now, since 1994, by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED). In 1902, Pope Leo XIII awarded the title of “Pontifical” while in 1947, Pope Pius awarded the title “the Catholic University of the Philippines.

The University of Santo Tomas is distinguished as an educational institution with the title, “Royal, Pontifical and Catholic University of the Philippines” - a title it truly deserves because of its unswerving commitment to the goals of Catholic education and national progress, of the expertise of the faculty, of the sterling intellectual, moral and skill-oriented qualities of its graduates and the contributions of the accomplished men and women who passed its portals and helped shape the course of Philippine history. Without any iota of doubt, the Graduate School of the University has played a prominent and pivotal role in contributing to the prestige of the University as well as to its national, regional and global acceptance.

The earliest existing records in the Archives of the University marked the first twelve (12) graduates from 1629 to 1645. These graduates were conferred the Doctorate degree in Theology as well as Masterate and Licentiate degrees in the Arts respectively. From 1645 to 1911, there was a total of some 1,176 graduates in the Doctorate, Masterate, Licentiate levels in Theology, Philosophy, Arts, Civil Law, Canon Law, Latin, Pharmacy and Medicine. Investitures held since 1663 were recorded in the official graduation book of the University entitled “Libro de Asiento de Grados de la Universidad de Santo Tomas.”

It is interesting to note some of the academic highlights between the years 1896 and 1917. The University conferred among others such degrees as Doctor in Natural Science in 1896 (1), Licentiate in Philosophy and Letters in 1897 (2), Doctor of Physical Science in 1906 (1), Licentiate in Dentistry in 1908 (1), Doctor of Philosophy and Letters in 1909 (1), Licentiate in Civil Engineering in 1912 (3), Master of Science in 1961 (1), and Master of Science in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering in 1917 (1).

source: http://graduateschool.ust.edu.ph/geninfo.htm
  • ^^ strange... how come it didn't carry on? Nararamdaman ko na may scarcity ng dentists ngayon kasi pahirapan sa pag-schedule ng appointments... Imagine tatawag ka ngayon, after 3-5 days ka pa mai-schedule... sa dami ng demand sa dentists, ang nagsa-suffer tuloy ay quality ng service...

pano na braces ko?? :lol:
  • ^ yung mga dentist ngayon hirap din magtayo ng private practice and most of them are taking up nursing na rin para makapag abroad.
  • buti diyan 3 to 5 days bago matignan ng dentist, eh dito mapa dentist , eye doctor, o just a physical eh at least a Month!
  • archangel wrote: »
    buti diyan 3 to 5 days bago matignan ng dentist, eh dito mapa dentist , eye doctor, o just a physical eh at least a Month!

Question lang archangel, nasa abroad ka ba?

On topic:
    I think UST should add Dentistry as one of the courses in their long-term plan. Its a big investment on the facilities and faculty, but i think its kinda worth it as this may somehow fill-in the gap of the demand in the industry. Should i also mention the prestige that adds on to it?
  • colorado wrote: »
    Off Topic:

Beginning next school year, College of Rehabilitation Sciences announces its new course offerings for school year 2009-2010.

CRS will offer programs leading to BS Speech Pathology and BS Respiratory Therapy.

:)

Speaking of new programs..

AMV Accountancy will be having its BS Managerial Accounting also for the academic year 2009-2010.

BS Managerial Accounting will have only 4 years and graduates of this program cannot take the CPA Licensure Exam.

Goodluck AMV! Retention Policy for Accountancy Majors! :mecry:

kakasya pa kaya kami sa College in the Parking Area (CPA)? haha.
  • ^ wow! good to know that maraming upcoming courses na ii-ooffer ang UST from this Managerial Accounting to Speech Pathology and Respiratory Therapy ng College of Rehabilitation Science. and kahapon ko lang din nalaman na may BS Math. major in actuarial science ang College of Science.

galing galing! :)
  • thebigQthebigQ Member PEx Expert 🎖️
    Ang alam ko po walang Dentistry sa UST dahil hindi naibigay sa kanila yung "right" na maghandle ng ganung program dahil during those days na naghahanap ang US ng U.S. ng school na pagtatayuan ng school of Dentistry ay in-aacknowledge ng UST yung mga faith healing ganun ganun. Dahil nga Catholic University sila at naniniwala sila sa mga kababalaghan "daw". Ganun lang ka-babaw. Kaya nagdecide ang mga Kano na itayo ang UP College of Dentistry. Since mga Kano naman ang nagtayo ng UP ay dun na nila sinimulan ang program. Pero first choice talaga dapat ay UST dahil nga kilala ang UST sa field ng Medical courses..

After UP College of Dentistry ay nagtayo na rin nito ang CEU then UE..

Eto yung alam ko. Pero Ok din na magakron na talaga ng Dentistry sa UST magaling naman ang UST sa Medical field.

Para yung Thomasians na gusto magpa braces or cleaning sa murang halaga ay hindi na lalayo pa. Yung UST friends ko sinasamahan ko pa palagi samin (UP Manila) para magpa oral prophylaxis, ortho etc.
  • oo, dapat nga mgakaroon ng dentistry ang uste.