Home PEx News and Tech Local and Foreign Issues

another dole out - P2-B subsidy to pay for electricity bills

P2-B subsidy to pay for electricity bills


By Christine Avenda?o\
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 23:38:00 05/31/2008


THE GOVERNMENT HAS SET ASIDE A P2-BILLION SUBSIDY as a way to help the poor pay their power bills.

Social Welfare Secretary Esperanza Cabral said Saturday she would present her proposed cash transfer program for small electricity users at the first meeting of the Presidential Task Force on Energy in Malaca?ang on Monday.

Cabral has been assigned by President Macapagal-Arroyo to draft a cash transfer program for small electricity users using P2 billion, which is part of the P4 billion earlier earmarked by Ms Arroyo for allocation to help people cope with soaring energy costs.

The P4 billion is the money so far collected by the government from the value-added tax (VAT) on electricity. Officials expect the amount to reach P18 billion this year.

?This [subsidy] is help for the poor because power costs have gone up,? Cabral said in a phone interview.

She said the ?target? of the cash transfer was the 1.9 million small users of electricity, or those called lifeline users consuming less than 100 kilowatt hours a month in areas covered by Manila Electric Co. (Meralco).

These lifeline users are being served by Meralco in Metro Manila and the provinces of Cavite, Pampanga, Bulacan, Rizal and Quezon.

Cabral said that if she were to calculate the allocation of the P2-billion cash transfer, 1.9 million lifeline users would be entitled to P1,000 a year, or P100 a month.

The subsidy will help, for example, a user of 50 kWh of electricity a month whose bill is P212, she said.

Going by this estimate, Cabral said, the subsidy could be given to small electricity users for a period of from 10 months to one year.

?These are all tentative options that I will present to the task force,? she said.

Cabral said she had yet to decide whether this cash transfer program would cover lifeline users in Metro Manila only, or those in the entire Meralco franchise area (National Capital Region, Region 3 and Region 4A).

She said she also had yet to decide on the mode of the cash transfer -- ?whether this would be in one lump sum, or every quarter or every semester.?

She added that she was likewise still studying the requirements to be imposed on the beneficiaries of the cash transfer. One option is for small electricity users to present their last monthly bill to authorities she said.

Unlike the other cash transfer programs of the Department of Social Welfare and Development, this love cannot be a conditional one because of, among others things, the small amount involved, Cabral said.

?It?s really just a subsidy to help them get by,? she said.
«13

Comments

  • kaya maraming dole out, malapit na kasi ang eleksiyon!
  • Call it dole out if you want but it is better than doing nothing at all. The cash transfer program is not a dole out system because it always has conditions for the recipients like that of the Ahon Pamilya program. The executive cannot legislate laws to resolve the electricity problem because it is the duty of the legislative to do so. At least the President has thought of taking measures to help the consumers pay large electricity bills. That is the least that the executive can do. The Congress should fix our laws on energy to contribute to the making of a solution.
  • hubcap wrote: »
    kaya maraming dole out, malapit na kasi ang eleksiyon!

    ........at......anader kurakot oportyuniti ng Pamilyang BuwayangBaboy Arroyo at mga alipores....:rotflmao:
  • artech wrote: »
    Call it dole out if you want but it is better than doing nothing at all. The cash transfer program is not a dole out system because it always has conditions for the recipients like that of the Ahon Pamilya program. The executive cannot legislate laws to resolve the electricity problem because it is the duty of the legislative to do so. At least the President has thought of taking measures to help the consumers pay large electricity bills. That is the least that the executive can do. The Congress should fix our laws on energy to contribute to the making of a solution.

    oo nga DOLE OUT ang tawag dito.
  • JoRed wrote: »
    ........at......anader kurakot oportyuniti ng Pamilyang BuwayangBaboy Arroyo at mga alipores....:rotflmao:

    election time na kasi!

    sanay ang administrasyon na to sa ganito - dami na kasi silang practice sa malacanang. ang dami na kasing brown envelopes na may laman ang naipamigay na nila. hasadong-hasado na!
  • ^^^hindi lang brown envelopes.....mga brown nosers rin.....dami d2 sa PEX...:rotflmao:
  • Nabuhay yun kasapi ng mga mamamatay tao na terroristang NPA dito ah. Dapat talaga maubos na sila sa mundong ito eh :naughty:
  • Dole Out because malapit na ang eleksyon? What are you retarded? Do you always complain about the government for whatever it's doing? If the government does nothing you people complain, if they indeed DO something you people still complain as well.

    Has it maybe ever occurred to you that the Philippines is in a fucked up state right now because majority of you are just scoffers who does nothing but find fault in everything the government does?

    Threadstarter is just an example of a fucked up flip crab at best!
  • Church nixes cash aid to poor families

    MANILA, April 28, 2008— To ‘dole out’ monetary aid to poor families in this way is to administer a narcotic, a subtle destroyer of the human spirit, the Roman Catholic Church warned.

    Abra Bishop Leopoldo Jaucian said the government’s program that gives a family, living below the poverty line, up to P1, 400 a month could only meager sums that will ultimately make people lazy.

    He said the Arroyo administration must and shall quit the business of dole out, saying that it “will only promote dependency on the government.”

    “We hope the government would focus on long-term plans,” Jaucian said in an interview over the Church-run Radyo Veritas.

    Jaucian said giving poor people with livelihood programs for their main source of income is better than just giving them mere financial aid.

    He said the government must preserve not only the bodies of the poor from destitution but also their self-respect, their self-reliance and courage and determination.

    The bishop added that the government is wrong in thinking that social programs like “Ahon Pamilyang Pilipino” poverty reduction program is helping. He said such program would only breed indolence and contentment with mediocrity generation after generation of families.

    Caritas Manila executive director Fr. Anton Pascual echoed Jaucian’s sentiment, adding that the program is “anti-poor.”

    If that would be the case, he said, the government do not want poor people to succeed.

    http://www.cbcpnews.com/?q=node/2323

    hindi tumigil yung dole out sa bigas, ngayon naman dole out para sa koryente. ano kaya ang susunod, dole out naman edukasyon? dole out para ulam?
  • pianpian PExer
    hubcap wrote: »
    kaya maraming dole out, malapit na kasi ang eleksiyon!

    Anong eleksyon ang sinasabi mo e hindi naman siya tatakbo?
  • sigurado ka hindi tatakbo? sigurado kang walang gagawin?
  • PRESS RELEASE
    Information Bureau
    Communist Party of the Philippines
    Oil companies raising prices with impunity in connivance with Arroyo regime--CPP
    June 1, 2008

    The Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) today condemned the US-Arroyo regime for "allowing oil companies to raise prices of petroleum products with impunity, thus further staggering the mass of the Filipino people already heavily burdened with fast rising costs of living amid ever worsened poverty."

    CPP spokesperson Gregorio "Ka Roger" Rosal issued the statement in reaction to the recent series of rapid oil price hikes. During the last ten days, hikes in the pump prices of gasoline, diesel, kerosene and other petroleum products sold locally totalled P3 per liter. Yesterday, Pilipinas Shell, Petron, Chevron Philippines, Total, Seaoil and Eastern Petroleum jolted the country with their sudden sharpest hike yet of P1.50 per liter.

    Rosal said that "As the weakening dollar has been sharply escalating oil prices in the world market, the foreign oil cartel in cahoots with the puppet regime in turn has been passing on the burden to the hapless local consumers."

    With the latest round of oil price increases, premium unleaded gasoline now sells between P50.67 and P55.15 a liter. Diesel sells between P42.91 and P48 while kerosene retails between P48.30 and P53.80 per liter. Since the start of 2008, oil companies have jacked up prices of fuel 11 times. Prices of diesel and kerosene have since then risen by P10 a liter, while gasoline prices have risen by P9.50 per liter.

    Rosal pointed out that "The imperialist 'globalization' policy of neoliberalization, deregulation, privatization and denationalization obsequiously being supported and implemented by the Arroyo puppet regime is responsible for this phenomenon." He accused the foreign oil companies of "raking in superprofits by taking full advantage of the Arroyo regime's oil deregulation law." The law totally removed government regulation of the industry, including its pricing of oil products.

    "Not only has the puppet regime not lifted a finger in the face of these merciless incessant prices increases and abuses by the foreign oil cartel," said Rosal. "The puppet president and her officials have, in fact, been conniving with the oil companies in all this.

    "The abusive and burdensome series of oil price hikes is now further fueling the intensifying anger of the already exasperated Filipino people," Rosal warned.

    Reference:
    Marco Valbuena
    Media Officer
    Cellphone Numbers: 09179776392 :: 09282242061
    E-mail:[email protected]
  • bondyingbondying PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    It's just a temporary measure to hopefully help small electricity users and also to ensure that Meralco maintains its unconscionable level of profit.

    This administration would rather give money (in the form of subsidy to small electricity users) to Meralco instead of regulating the power industry and lower the rate of electricity.

    Spending peoples' money to pay Meralco instead of regulating the power industry and Meralco to lower the rate of electricity.

    That's how this government thinks of a solution... maintain the profit level of Meralco (regardless of the illegal and unfair way Meralco reach that profit level) at the cost of peoples' money.

    :D
  • SyChuanSyChuan PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    The reason is simple.

    This dole out , together with free education, and rice dole out will help thousands of elementary, high school and college students who will be forced to stop studying due to high electricity prices or rice prices.

    These dole outs will benefit their families, as with these dole out thier children can continue their education, graduate, get a much decent or higher paying job and lift them out of poverty to expand the middle class.

    The government is now doing its job , it is up to the people to work hard now and send their children to school for proper education, after graduating they can be very productive members of the society.

    Just think of the thousands of college students which will gradute next year because of these dole out, they could immediately be working either here or someplace else and be beneficial to the people.

    Just think of the thousands of high school students which will graduate next year due to these dole outs. This added year of education will teach them that the government is providing for the people so if they grow up and be in government someday they will know what the government's role is,and act to help the people as the government help them before. (note: these high school students can work part time to help them get a college education. a lot of successful people today did it before)


    Just think of the thousands of students given another year to study because of these dole out , with each year they finish they get closer and closer to reaching their goal of proper education and help their family out of poverty.

    These dole outs are temporary due to the world crisis, these dole out are important as it can save lives.

    When you start criticizing the dole outs of the government think first if what you say can harm the thousands who will benefit from it. The government is doing its job it is up to the people who receives this dole out to use them wisely , it is up to the church leaders to guide the people wisely.
  • SyChuan wrote: »
    The reason is simple.

    This dole out , together with free education, and rice dole out will help thousands of elementary, high school and college students who will be forced to stop studying due to high electricity prices or rice prices.

    These dole outs will benefit their families, as with these dole out thier children can continue their education, graduate, get a much decent or higher paying job and lift them out of poverty to expand the middle class.

    The government is now doing its job , it is up to the people to work hard now and send their children to school for proper education, after graduating they can be very productive members of the society.

    Just think of the thousands of college students which will gradute next year because of these dole out, they could immediately be working either here or someplace else and be beneficial to the people.

    Just think of the thousands of high school students which will graduate next year due to these dole outs. This added year of education will teach them that the government is providing for the people so if they grow up and be in government someday they will know what the government's role is,and act to help the people as the government help them before. (note: these high school students can work part time to help them get a college education. a lot of successful people today did it before)


    Just think of the thousands of students given another year to study because of these dole out , with each year they finish they get closer and closer to reaching their goal of proper education and help their family out of poverty.

    These dole outs are temporary due to the world crisis, these dole out are important as it can save lives.

    When you start criticizing the dole outs of the government think first if what you say can harm the thousands who will benefit from it. The government is doing its job it is up to the people who receives this dole out to use them wisely , it is up to the church leaders to guide the people wisely.

    it is not a question of whether we should help the poor, its a question of how best can we help the poor. there are MANY ways to help the poor that will not only help them but also benefit the general economy as well.

    dole outs teaches the poor to be mendicants, like beggars on the streets. dole outs institutionalizes mendicancy and lazyness among the poor at the same time puts govt officials into a stupor of laziness as well.

    people are critized when they say "sana man lang tulungan kami ng gobyerno." also, we often read this type of statements in LAFI : "there is much high unemployment and high birth rates because pinoys are lazy."

    well, dole-outs encourage exactly that.

    the poor are already down on their fours, dole outs can only demean them even more. they do not need dole outs, they need jobs. but creating jobs is much more difficult and complicated than giving dole outs, and thats why this govt resorts to dole outs - they are lazy and avoid doing real and hard work.
  • another dole out! :bop:
    ArnoldZ wrote: »
    How are they going to determine who will receive the subsidy? There'll just be lot of confusion and mis-allocations and inequal distibution of this subsidy.

    Why not just a flat across the board reduction in the bills of all residential electric users? For a certain period of time until all the P2-B is used up.

    there are enough changes available that the govt can do to reduce the price of power and that has a beneficial impact not only on prices but on the power industry as a whole as well.

    one is the reduction of taxes and royalties on indegenous energy. reducing/removing these royalties and texes will not only reduce the cost of power to consumers, this will even encourage businesses to put up more power plants of this kind. in fact in other countries, these types are even subsidized precisely to encourage business to enter the market.

    the philippines continue to under perform economically because we do too many of the tactical, short term cosmetic pa-pogi moves like dole outs and do not do enough of the strategic, long term structural improvements that the country needs to attain eco take off stage. this has been one of the most enduring criticism on the phil economy by most financial institutions.
  • Juan Plus OneJuan Plus One PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    another 'band aid' solution to a problem.

    perhaps half of the fund will flow smoothly to the pockets of some of GMA's alipores.

    F ucK!
  • this will not solve anything, specially on the long term. its just a very expensive PR program, an attempt to give some pogi points to a very unpopular president.

    there are so many new eco problems coming out - more oil price increases, inflation reaching a 9 year high, transport groups asking for rate increases and there will be more soon.
  • SyChuanSyChuan PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    abcxyz wrote: »
    it is not a question of whether we should help the poor, its a question of how best can we help the poor. there are MANY ways to help the poor that will not only help them but also benefit the general economy as well.

    dole outs teaches the poor to be mendicants, like beggars on the streets. dole outs institutionalizes mendicancy and lazyness among the poor at the same time puts govt officials into a stupor of laziness as well.

    people are critized when they say "sana man lang tulungan kami ng gobyerno." also, we often read this type of statements in LAFI : "there is much high unemployment and high birth rates because pinoys are lazy."

    well, dole-outs encourage exactly that.

    the poor are already down on their fours, dole outs can only demean them even more. they do not need dole outs, they need jobs. but creating jobs is much more difficult and complicated than giving dole outs, and thats why this govt resorts to dole outs - they are lazy and avoid doing real and hard work.


    The govenrment is not encouraging people to be lazy and be beggars, but rather this "dole out" gives them hope that they would not need to stay under privileged. With education that is already free plus food and electricity the families can now provide more attention to the needs their children, the children need not go to the streets to beg for food, but be in school.

    Again the point is the government is doing its job it is up to the people to do their part, it is up to the church to do their part in leading the people morally.


    Regarding creation of jobs what do you suppose is the reason the government is unable to create more jobs? And what jobs are there that can accomodate our less fortunate people?
Sign In or Register to comment.