Home PEx Lifestyle Travel and Leisure
Reminder: You never know what someone is going through, so be kind.

Backpacking internationally by yourself

HichamHicham Member PEx Expert 🎖️
Hello guys... meron n ba ditong nag-travel na magisa? Share naman on your experience.

Parang iniisip ko magtravel s Europe ng magisa pero nakaka-kaba:D

Comments

• BeerhandBopBeerhandBop PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ang only problem lang naman with back packing alone is means of supporting that travel.

other than that, i don't see kung anong nakaka takot.
  • ang sarap nga ng mag-isa dahil makakapunta ka sa mga gusto mong puntahang attractions, katulad ko, independent traveller ako.
  • gwapsgwaps PExer
    Hicham wrote: »
    Hello guys... meron n ba ditong nag-travel na magisa? Share naman on your experience.

Parang iniisip ko magtravel s Europe ng magisa pero nakaka-kaba:D

I haven't been out of Asia but i do travel alone, and with just a backpack. :)

One of the best things about travelling is that you can be whoever you want to be.

You can do this better when you are alone ;)

One time, i was in a KL Bar and the bartender asked if i was Filipino. he said, he noticed my accent (Other asians say Filipinos have "accent" in speaking english). It turned out that she was a "Pangako sa yo Fan" which was showing then in KL. And when he started talking about Jericho Rosales and Kristine Hermosa, i suddenly answered "oh, i know them. I've worked with them a couple of times".

The bartender had friends inside and are likewise Pangako sa yo Fans. So i got introduced and joined their table. I spent the night drinking more and talking about "Pangako sa yo", kristine hermosa and jericho rosales
    :rotflmao:
  • HichamHicham Member PEx Expert 🎖️
    Cool... exciting... pangarap ko magback-pack sa Czech Republic hehe
  • It should be no problem. I'm female and was 17 when I first backpacked alone. As long as it's something that you love or at least interests you enough and as long as you keep your wits about you, everything should be OK. :)
  • tried it myself too :) backpacked on my own around Italy and it was great! It was my first time and it felt so liberating that I could do it :) you just have to plan things out carefully and be aware of what to expect especially if your going to a country where English is not widely spoken.

i would have to admit though that by the end of my trip i jumped at the first chance i had to speak to a Filipino lol^^

oh and choose countries that are tourist-friendly. i don't know really if there are non tourist-friendly places (asides from the obvious places like iraq) but i think it would really be disheartening if your in a foreign country using a foreign language with not so welcoming people to help you along with the basics :)
  • alone here in melbourne..if you guys need company..I"m here..doing nothing...just gym , home, eat ,sleep..
  • dj_sensuidj_sensui PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    nag hongkong ako mag-isa nung 4thyear college ako. ayos naman. naharang lang ako sa immigration kasi underage. pero may ma-papers naman kaya ok lang.
    Di ako gaanong nag enjoy kasi wala akong alam nun tsaka bata pa ako nun.
  • ruddervator78ruddervator78 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    fmescoto wrote: »
    ang sarap nga ng mag-isa dahil makakapunta ka sa mga gusto mong puntahang attractions, katulad ko, independent traveller ako.

yup ok nga mgtravel mg isa. naranasan ko n ito twice*okay*
  • mong_cutemong_cute PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    i do travel alone and on backpack, though sa Asia ko pa lang siya nagagawa. masaya naman, you get to go around the area on your own and you don't need to mind other people.
  • HichamHicham Member PEx Expert 🎖️
    tried it myself too :) backpacked on my own around Italy and it was great! It was my first time and it felt so liberating that I could do it :) you just have to plan things out carefully and be aware of what to expect especially if your going to a country where English is not widely spoken.

i would have to admit though that by the end of my trip i jumped at the first chance i had to speak to a Filipino lol^^

oh and choose countries that are tourist-friendly. i don't know really if there are non tourist-friendly places (asides from the obvious places like iraq) but i think it would really be disheartening if your in a foreign country using a foreign language with not so welcoming people to help you along with the basics :)

Galing naman... hey barefootedluvin, can you give us an idea how much you spent? How long did u stay in Italy? Where did you stay?
  • I've done it myself several times and for me, it's the only way to travel.

If you've never done it before, check out the Travel Independent website. It will give you loads of info on pretty much everything you need to know such as what and how to pack, what to do before you go and while on the road, and it also has country summaries so you can look into that to give you an idea where to go. As a first-timer, pick some place that is easy (Western Europe, Australia/NZ, or Southeast Asia).
  • Anyone ever travelled alone in Laos? It will be my 1st time there (in Laos) and I will be flying early next week, crossing 3 borders, and taking the road of 4 countries that will start with Hanoi, going around to Laos, then north Thailand, then Cambodia's Phnom Penh, then ending in Saigon. It's a "circular trail" actually. I've already crossed the Mocbai-Bavet border before (Im going the opposite direction this time though). Any tips for my Laos visit will be appreciated. Also - inputs on the border crossing there. My itinerary takes me from Hanoi to Luang Prabang but I dont know the details yet except that the bus ride is 18 hours (probably 20 hours) for an $18 aircon bus. It would be easier to take the plane but where is the fun there (Im told its only $115-130?
  • brian_c wrote: »
    Anyone ever travelled alone in Laos? It will be my 1st time there (in Laos) and I will be flying early next week, crossing 3 borders, and taking the road of 4 countries that will start with Hanoi, going around to Laos, then north Thailand, then Cambodia's Phnom Penh, then ending in Saigon. It's a "circular trail" actually. I've already crossed the Mocbai-Bavet border before (Im going the opposite direction this time though). Any tips for my Laos visit will be appreciated. Also - inputs on the border crossing there. My itinerary takes me from Hanoi to Luang Prabang but I dont know the details yet except that the bus ride is 18 hours (probably 20 hours) for an $18 aircon bus. It would be easier to take the plane but where is the fun there (Im told its only $115-130?

yep! tried that. best advice I can give you... buy the 2008 edition of SEA on a shoestring ng lonely planet. the border in poipet sucks. pero since pinoy ka, you won't have a hard time. hehehe! nobody won't try to rip you off kasi you almost look like a local. my border crossing experience there was really full of adventure. i am a girl btw and I literally climbed on top of a bus (roof top) then nasira yung bus, tapos nag hitch ng pick up truck. by the time i got to siem reap , binuhusan ko ang sarili ko ng two liters of cold mineral water.

good luck! masaya yun!
  • yeah, border crossings are always nerve wracking - at least for me - so far, they have been uneventful for me. my border crossings dont include poipet. i believe ill have a relatively easy crossing coz i am pinoy. it's the transportations that worry me. one girl i'm emailing with (a caucasian) who's sharing her recent experience crossing the vietnam-laos border also encountered vehicle problems (this involved a vehicle that stalled in the middle of nowhere and i actually dont believe i have hitched a ride in my life. hehe. that will be something i would NOT look forward but prepare myself for. the border is quite far from vientiane or luang prabang.

i do have the 2007 edition of lonely planet-asian shoestring so i am not compelled to buy the 2008. so far the book has been my bible. i know kasi, as per experience that, regardless of how meticulously you plan your trip, things will ALWAYS go wrong along the way - and im ready for that.

last question though. how many days of stay was given to you in laos. is it like vietnam's 21 days? i hope i dont reach the border after 5PM coz i know that the viet-lao border closes at 5PM so I would have to wait til 6AM until it opens again. thanks for sharing.
  • misternmisismisternmisis PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Hicham wrote: »
    Cool... exciting... pangarap ko magback-pack sa Czech Republic hehe

Sige punta ka dito... klan mo plano? :)

IMG_5295.jpg
  • Ako sa HK lang. Pero kahit HK lang, I still consider it a big accomplishment. Iba yung experience to do your own itineraries. You are in command of your time. Sometimes, you just let your foot take you wherever.
  • Aizen-Sama wrote: »
    Ako sa HK lang. Pero kahit HK lang, I still consider it a big accomplishment. Iba yung experience to do your own itineraries. You are in command of your time. Sometimes, you just let your foot take you wherever.

maganda naman ang HK. masarap gagalugarin ang mga maliliit na kalye doon, tapos very convenient pa ang trains nila. pwede pang puntahan ang lantau island or macau. masarap yung isang buong araw na mag iikot ka without a particular plan, just go where your feet will take you. ibang iba sa isang trip na may check list ka kung anong dapat puntahan.
  • Hicham wrote: »
    Galing naman... hey barefootedluvin, can you give us an idea how much you spent? How long did u stay in Italy? Where did you stay?

Hi Hicham so sorry at ngayon lang ung reply ko, was pretty busy so I wasn't able to look through this one again until now. I went to Italy before as a side-trip to my business trip so my airfare was free (or I think I just added something less than 100usd for the tax) so that had definitely helped in keeping my budget down. Was in Italy for about 12 days and went to Milan, Florence, Pisa (for the Leaning Tower) and Rome. Milan and Pisa were mainly just day tours though cause my main purpose was to just be a tourist and see all the great sites and not go shopping (cause I was literally just carrying a backpack with me).

Stayed in youth hostels that my friends had recommended because they were a cheaper alternative and definitely a great way to meet other tourists:) When I was in Rome, I became friends with my bunkmate and we ended up going out drinking on my last night*okay*

I think on an overall I spent about 1,300usd (something along that range). I cut down on alot of my expenses though. I took the train when I traveled from one city to another, took the subway, walked alot, and only splurged on food once on every city:) Doesn't mean though that I gave up on my basic needs, I still had my cup of cappuccino every morning. My diet just ended up being gelato and pizza every day:D

And since I didn't join any tours I just researched ALOT on the places I wanted to go to, how I was going to get there and what were the best routes so I didn't have to keep on going back and forth:) It greatly helped that Italy's subway system is tourist friendly (meaning it stops in all the important places) although it could get really cramped up on peak hours too. Plus you just have to be a little more outgoing and gutsy. When I was in Florence I had planned out where I was going to go but on my first day I ended up discreetly tagging along with this tourist group I saw on my way to someplace else and decided that I'll just let things take their flow and re-plan things later in the evening:) Great thing too cause I ended up meeting this other person in the tour group who was apparently secretly tagging along too :D
  • For those interested in backpacking, there is this documentary called 'A Map for Saturday' which gives you an insight into backpacking. Although it's mostly about travelers traveling long-term (1 year or more) and doing round-the-world trips, people doing shorter trips will still find it interesting.

The trailer can be found in their website or in youtube.

Check your local travel channel for schedules (I think it might have been shown in the National Geographic Channel over there in Asia).