Home PEx Campus University of Santo Tomas
Speak your mind, but mind what you post. Let's not spread disinformation and/or misinformation.

Is UST Losing it?

Just browsed the inquirer.net and saw the top 10 results of the CPA, Chemical Eng and Civil Eng Board Exams. Not a Thomasian landed in any of the top 10.

I'm a bit saddened coz aren't we supposed to be one of the best in these fields? Now, I am so inclined in asking the question, "is UST all that hype na lang?" Kung baga, talking the talk and not walking the walk?! We always boast of Levels of Accrediatation and stuff or whatever you call them but cant we just produce results?

I wasnt that good a student way back my UST days and alam ko naman na wala akong "K" na magtanong nito. But after all the pagtatanggol natin for UST when another school is bashing, parang lumalabas na hindi na credible yung mga sinasabi natin coz of the results. Isnt it time for UST to address the real time situation? We are not even included in the top 500 in Asiaweek anymore. Well, DLSU is not included too but I'm very, very confident that they will be there next time and who knows, beat another Philippine school in the process.

DLSU btw has the top 1 and top 3 spots in the CPA boards and has students included in the top 10 in the civil and chemical eng. Now they really are good and numbers show it. Only UP is the other school who has students in those 3 exams top 10. Now I can say that those 2 schools really deserve the top 2 ranking!

My fellow Thomasians, this message is NOT a bash nor a criticism. Its a reality check.

Congrats DLSU for jobs well done in those board exams!

Comments

• markfroilanmarkfroilan 🐯 Tiger Squad🥈
    ^You noticed it too?lol.

on a serious note, i want to ask UST nga e "whats up?" Could the "shake up" last september contributed a domino effect within the system?Im shaken in a way. But I hope its not long term(on the waning performance)
  • Over reacting naman kayo.

UST still placed second in its category with a passing rate of 69%. DLSU's was 79%.

Nakakatawa yung thread title, para namang naging sub-standard na ang UST in an instant. "Waning performance," wow, may proof ka? Last time I heard, respetado pa din ang accounting program ng UST. Dahan dahan sa pagpo-post ng mga overly maarte and inappropriate na statements.

Sayang naman ang pagka Tomasino ninyo kung ganyan kababaw ang pagtitiwala ninyo sa ating alma mater.
  • hindi mababaw yun.
    i think it's "concern", hindi sa walang tiwala.
    the waning performance is a fact.
    even sa ibang colleges, ganyan.
    like mine.
  • midnytbloomidnytbloo PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Ashlars wrote: »
    Sayang naman ang pagka Tomasino ninyo kung ganyan kababaw ang pagtitiwala ninyo sa ating alma mater.

i second that!! right on, girl/boy! :lol: ..there are over a thousand universities, schools, and colleges sa pilipinas. and being (at least) in the top 10 makes me (somewhat) proud. haha!

you know, i rarely make a stand pagdating sa mga school issues, lalo na mga school ranking stuff. ewan ko kung bakit. but i'm happy to see thomasians blastin' the crap out of other other schools pride. hahaha!! yan ang mga tipong go uste para sa akin!

anyway, is ust losing it? well, i don't see anybody winning.. do you?
  • From what i know hindi natin forte un april - may board exams since most of those who take the exams are second takers and not first takers. For accountancy wait for the october exams and for civil and chemical enginnering usually it falls on november. Although I must admit in the case for chemical engineering there is usually only one
    topnotcher not necessarily the no1 spot.
  • marqueeyut wrote: »
    hindi mababaw yun.
    i think it's "concern", hindi sa walang tiwala.
    the waning performance is a fact.
    even sa ibang colleges, ganyan.
    like mine.

If you feel like your education is being shortchanged by this alleged "waning performance," why not transfer to another school? UST isn't forcing itself on you.

@darkside: Yes, alam ko nga mas madaming takers kapag October CPA exams. For civil and chemical eng'g., November is the month indeed.

Is UST losing it? It will if it continues to have students/alumni who are not supportive and have the propensity to point nothing but the "bad" side/s of the university.

Ang arte kasi mag-react ng iba.
  • HisbenzHisbenz PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    UST's time is october (CPA), you might check previous years' performance. In fact dlsu is totally not doing good during october exams. Top ten usually came from UP and UST

considering UST sends triple the number dlsu sends, ust still doing very good during october ( average of 80-90%). While DLSU right now is usually their time (may exams), they are still below 80% passing rate.

go figure
  • clejclej PExer
    Is UST Losing it? a big NO!

UST is still the second best performing school of all time sa mga licensure exam based on the study of PRC. I read it somehere. UP is first.

tama yung mga comments that summer board exam are not the forte of UST and UP. Usually, marami na yung 10 ang takers from UST. It is expected that DLSU will dominate the summer board exam because of their trimester program.
  • 2008 CPA BOARD

1. Kristine Arce Pineda, De La Salle University- Manila, 91.43 percent.

2. Raymund Francis Abuda Escala, University of the Cordilleras (Baguio College Foundation), 91 percent.

3. Ryan Oliver Tiu Dy, De La Salle University- Manila, 90.86.

4. Ron Jeric Sarmiento Leonardo, University of the Philippines-Diliman, 90.43

5. Loudie Jay Canonoy Falguera, Saint Paul’s Business School-Palo, Leyte, 89.86

6. Jonathan Tan Bino, De La Salle UniversityManila, and Lyn Lazarito Osano, Mindanao State University - General Santos City, 89.71

7. Marvin Fang Chua, De La Salle UniversityManila, and Lyndon Pacalda Jabla, Holy Cross of Davao College, 89.57

8. Charles Bryan Marinas Tan, San Beda College, 89

9. Jianessa Camille Domingo Diaz, De La Salle University-Manila, 88.86

10. Christopher Ryan Marina Tan, San Beda College, 88.57

2008 ECE
    (1) 89.00% Helvin Khen Gonzales Cheng Chu (De La Salle University - Manila)

(2) 88.70% Jody Ann Diaz Lunasin (Mapua Institute of Technology)

(3) 86.30% Kim Ortega Malinao (Mapua Institute of Technology)

(4) 86.00% Ron Michael Macasaet Dimaano (De La Salle University-Manila

(5) 85.80% John Martin Ilgan Jarillas (University of the Philippines-Diliman)

(6) 85.20% Rowel AllanAquino Rocaberte (Saint Louis University)

(7) 85.10% Richard Ian Aban Badoraya (Notre Dame of Dadiangas University)

(8) 85.00% Jofel Hilotin Esleta (University of the Philippines-Diliman)

(9) 84.90% Bernardo Jr. Almodovar Almira (University of Perpetual Help System-Laguna)

(9) 84.90% Mark Anthony Daclis Te (De La Salle University-Manila)

(10) 84.70% Aries Jake Remorosa Rafisura (Mindanao State University-Iligan Institute of Tech)

AT LEAST UST is consistent with high passing percentage...
    animo La Salle and Viva Santo Tomas!
  • Ashlars wrote: »
    If you feel like your education is being shortchanged by this alleged "waning performance," why not transfer to another school? UST isn't forcing itself on you.

@darkside: Yes, alam ko nga mas madaming takers kapag October CPA exams. For civil and chemical eng'g., November is the month indeed.

Is UST losing it? It will if it continues to have students/alumni who are not supportive and have the propensity to point nothing but the "bad" side/s of the university.

Ang arte kasi mag-react ng iba.

I'm proud to be a UST student, btw i'm from arki.
    Ang sinasabi lang dito, UST and its student body should do its part to make the university at par, not only amongst the schools in RP, but with the rest of the world.
    Sabi nga nung ts,
    "this message is NOT a bash nor a criticism. Its a reality check."
    Ponder on that.
    Once again, i'm proud to be a Thomasian.:)
  • @ marqueeyut: What are you doing then to help UST be, in your words, "at par not only amongst the schools in RP, but with the rest of the world?" Ponder, ruminate on that.

It's not going to happen in an instant. It will take a collective effort of everyone concerned for UST to be at par with the rest of the world. Being pessimistic will never help. College of Architecture ka pa naman, one of the most illustrious colleges in UST. Kung saan nanggaling sila Locsin, Ma?osa et. al.

By the way, do you think there is a Philippine school that can be mentioned in the same breath as Harvard or Yale? Sa National University of Singapore nga lang, wala ng sinabi ang mga top Philippine schools.

leverage17 is right, at least UST is consistent with its high passing percentage. Of what use is topping a board exam when the school has a dismal passing rate?

@ Hisbenz: You are absolutely correct with your facts. The thing is, some people just post irresponsibly by not checking the veracity of their data.
  • Naku, kung alam nyo lang sana kung kailan kumukuha nang Board Exam ang mga Thomasians hindi na kayo magtataka.

Sa Civil Eng'g, November po kami nagte-take. Pagkatapos ng Graduation (March o April), wala nang panahon magreview para sa May Board Exam. Ang pagkakaalam ko nung nasa USTe pa ako ganyan din sa ibang Colleges.

Easy lang kayo, hindi mawawala ang UST sa Top Performing Schools. Kahit magpustahan pa tayo.
    My post infuriated many, Thank you for your factual replies. I beg your indulgence for I am ignorant of UST's board "seasons". Well now i have an idea, i also personally appreciate constructive remarks on faith in our university's showing.
  • I-post ko na lang itong January Civil Engineering Board Exam results (retake ng Nov. board exam)

The top performing schools (with 10 or more examinees) in the January 2008 Civil Engineer Licensure Examination are the following:

1 University of the Philippines – Los Baños 29/29 100.00%
    2 Ateneo de Naga 14/17 82.00%
    3 University of Santo Tomas 51/64 80.00%
    Isabela State University-Ilagan 8/10 80.00%

Sa dami nang Thomasians na nageexam tuwing November, wala na natitira para sa May. Nung nagtapos ako 2 sections na lang kami, mula sa 12 nung 1st yr.
  • HisbenzHisbenz PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    If only some of my fellow Thomasians would ponder on these lofty thoughts instead of fidgeting and languishing over such prosaic ideas as "UST losing it" or being underrated, etc

raise your horizon high, prove to everyone on what we learn from our alma mater. Lets forge ahead and give glory to the almighty.

viva
  • Oo nga naman, si TS naman kasi walang bilib sa kakayahan ng mga gaya niyang Thomasians. Halata tuloy ni hindi siya nakaranas ng Board Exam.

Kaya nagmumukha tayong mahina kasi sa 1st Batch halos walang nageexam, kaya nagmumukha tayong diploma mill kasi sa 2nd batch halos lahat ng grads nageexam. Ayaw niyo ba nun, nagkakaisa sila?
    Wala tayong UST-Baguio, UST de Naga o UST-Dasmarinas na magdadala ng pangalan kapag hindi natin season.
  • OT:

Hi Kuya Scuddie! Hi markfroilan!

;)
  • Parang ang tunog ng title na ito eh baliw na ang UST. :|
  • clawed_outclawed_out PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I think what the cbie was noticing is UST's lack of consistency on it's performance.
    OT:

Hi Kuya Scuddie! Hi markfroilan!

;)

Hi Viva! how are you?Its been a while since we last met. Lot of things happened to me (the good, the bad, the fatal, and a new lease in life). I look forward in seeing you guys again. My apologies for some posts that may have irked some fellow thomasians.