Home PEx Local Entertainment Showbiz - General
COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

TV memories...

Comments

• queen_janicequeen_janice Member PEx Rookie ⭐
    Sing Galing was more like All Star K.

Nope. All Star K's format was completely different. Only one of the hosts was retained (allan k). If my memory serves me right, may 7 yata na na contestants sa ALK tas may mga missing lyrics each song in each round.

Sa SG may gong-gong din. Weekly champion (coz it was a weekly show). May 3 contestants then the daily winner would be up against the defending champion. I remember leah (the voice ph, season 2) became the 1st champion sa grand finals. Ethel booba was also a defending champ for more than 10 weeks :)

i guess i've explained it too long for your short statement :) ... Wala lang, namimiss ko sing galing hahaha
  • queen_janicequeen_janice Member PEx Rookie ⭐
    Sorry. Double post
  • James Ty IIIJames Ty III Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Early 90s sa ABS-CBN ang Baywatch pero noong nagkaisip ako mas naalala ko ang stint niya sa Studio 23 na nga. :)

Studio 23 began airing in 1996.
    Sing Galing and All Star K both featured celebrity contestants. That's perhaps the only thing they had in common.
    CNN is the only free TV channel with continuous English news although PTV and UNTV also have English newscasts
  • JeSuisBillyJeSuisBilly A Better Me! PEx Icon 🎖️🎖️🎖️
    Does that mean you were born in 1993 or 1994?

Late 1993 to be more exact.
  • gilarmikidgilarmikid Member PEx Rookie ⭐
    RIP Ms. Joy Viado. One of the finest comediennes in the country. Naging host pa siya ng isang noontime show sa IBC-13 noong araw...
  • nightdevilkissnightdevilkiss Bad-Tempered PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    TV Shows like 5 and UP and Chikiting Patrol!

Everynight after ng Front Page ni Tita Mel puro Anime!
    Meron din sa anc

ANC is a cable channel.
  • Jake.CebuJake.Cebu Member PExer
    hindi ko alam 'yung mismong programang tinutukoy ni tokwaeater above. but yes, rod navarro indeed had a number of programs on channel 9--lalo pa't dahil isa siya sa mga "orphaned" ABS-CBN talents na doon lumipat after 1081 was declared.

from the stuff i read before, i gathered that among the programs he had on KBS/RPN included: a singing contest called "tuklas" (this was actually a "rehashed" version of ABS-CBN's "tawag ng tanghalan", which navarro himself hosted prior to martial law--minana niya ang pioneering tv/radio talent search mula sa mga namayapang komedyanteng sina lopito at patsy), the radio-tv simulcast "newswatch pilipino edition" (aired during the morning hours--he anchored from the studio of RPN's manila AM station, DWWW, where he was the morning anchor well for much of the '80s until the station's frequency [630khz] was given [or given back] to ABS-CBN), a short-lived mid-'70s noontime show called "magandang tanghali" (which ran against a revived "student canteen" on GMA...but no relation to the ABS-CBN noontime show of the same title hosted by pancho magalona) and a sitcom called "ayos lang, pare ko".

Speaking of Magandang Tanghali (the RPN version), after it was cancelled sometime in 1977 due to low ratings, the show was replaced by the transitional movie block By Popular Demand, which showed replays of some of your favorite Hollywood movies, and, later on that year, Return Engagement, a block which featured reruns of some TV specials, such as a Paul McCartney special where he sang Live and Let Die live with explosions (as remembered by a 1970's to 80's televiewer). I base these info from 1976-78 TV Times issues which I saw early this year in a library. Seems like RPN-9 gave up by then on producing a noontime variety show for weekdays after enduring frustrations on low ratings of their previous noontime shows, until the zany trio of TVJ gave RPN-9 some glimmer of hope.

Speaking of the show that would definitely change RPN's fortunes on weekday noontime for good, here's a must-read Inquirer Business article about it and how it "dished" out surprising lessons for business: http://business.inquirer.net/219332/eat-bulaga-dishes-out-surprising-lessons-for-business
  • pink_cottoncandypink_cottoncandy simply chic .. rakista din! PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Yung mala - Battle of the Brains ng RPN, para sa mga students talaga … tapos pwede namang mala - Gobingo naman pang test sa General Information sa mga adults …

Nakaka miss din ang mga tagalized na mexican novela, sample -Thalia's soap opera, pero bakit naman pati American series tagalized na? :lol: … nakita ko yata yung TWD ... tagalized sa ABC5??
    True or False - IBC-13's former Saturday afternoon talk-cum-variety show hosted by Inday Badiday, ca. 1985.
  • MRLAOSnaMRLAOSna Member PExer
    nakaka miss ang John en Marsha over RPN-9.

syempre ang Palibhasa Lalake over ABSCBN.
    TV times would have probably folded up by the time i was born...but i managed to have salvaged some copies of it (from 1978) at my lola's ancestral home in laguna, and kept them (although as it turned out, kasama pala yun sa magazine collection ko na naiwan ko sa 'pinas)...plus, isa 'yun sa mga hinahanap kong bound magazines sa filipiniana periodicals section ng national library, where i would go to on a whim back in college (basta maraming free time...haha!)...

i loved reading the mag not just for the skeds, but because of the network ads on them...of course, pinakamaraming ads doon ang broadcast city stations (BBC/RPN/IBC) and GMA...

TV Times Magazine folded up because, according to an article in Philippine Panorama dated 1985, TV Times' publisher, Quad Publications (owned by the late Rod Reyes who was also the publisher of Celebrity, a fortnightly magazine which also folded up for the same reason), suffered loses of more than ₱1 million "and had to be closed down in 1984." If I remember correctly, TV Times' last issue came out on August 12, 1984. By then, they were already a fortnightly magazine, and it has been that was since their December 25, 1983 issue.
  • Nakakamiss *** birch tree ni kuya germs
  • nu_metalnu_metal Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Wednesday nights if im correct :)

Debate_gma.jpg
    ^then of course gumaya ang ABS-CBN ang title naman Issue 101
    Nope. All Star K's format was completely different. Only one of the hosts was retained (allan k). If my memory serves me right, may 7 yata na na contestants sa ALK tas may mga missing lyrics each song in each round.

Sa SG may gong-gong din. Weekly champion (coz it was a weekly show). May 3 contestants then the daily winner would be up against the defending champion. I remember leah (the voice ph, season 2) became the 1st champion sa grand finals. Ethel booba was also a defending champ for more than 10 weeks :)

i guess i've explained it too long for your short statement :) ... Wala lang, namimiss ko sing galing hahaha

Kung napapansin niyo noon, hawig ng set ng All-Star K! ang set ng local version ng The Weakest Link ni Edu Manzano.

.......Na after naman ng Who wants to be a Millionaire ni Christopher De Leon sa IBC13.
    I missed posting in this thread!

My last post was way back in 2012.
    COURTESY: Artista Nostalgia's FB

I saw these pictures noon pang last January 2015, but I only got to post them now.

969479_102569053286281_1935574197_n.jpg?oh=c5f77f4a2f088a582478168c7e0b98de&oe=58BBBA07
    Of course, when you say IBC-13, who would forget T.O.D.A.S., which starred the zany duo of TVJ? Considered as one of the Filipinos' favorite local comedy shows during the regimes of Marcos and Cory, this was replayed around 2003-04, and again in 2014, over IBC's throwback block Retro TV, hosted by Drew Arellano.

292906_102569133286273_1277590859_n.jpg?oh=d18795761bd88fdb518e2e9412f5ead5&oe=58AF4CD0
    One of the many specials aired on IBC-13 during their status as a top-rating network was the delayed coverage of the Miss International 1979, starring Ms. Philippines Melanie Marquez, which was aired on December 7 (originally held in Tokyo on November 12 of that year). Imagine how TV specials from abroad were so late to come into our small screens during those times.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file