Home PEx Campus Ateneo de Manila University

The Impeachment Trial of Ateneo Sanggu President Apples Jalandoni

A lot of Ateneans do not know this but there is an Impeachment Trial going on right in their very own campus.

The plaintiffs are members of the Sanggu themselves including EVP Chester Yu and the rest of the top officers in the council.

The Prosecution is headed by Joan De Venecia and William Panlilio.

These are the charges: Violation of constitution and abuse of power And Misrepresentation

On the first day of the trial, Jan. 15,2001, the President is off to a stumbling start. First, her motion for reconsideration and dismissal on the grounds that not all the plaintiffs were present at the start of the trial was shot down at least three times by the Judicial council. When she cited another Article for her reasons, it turns out that the Article was referring to the Judicial Council and JC chief Baldoria told her that they are complete.

It seems that the president is looking for a way out of this through technicality. It seems, however, that she is shooting herself in the foot in her oral argumentations.

It's the greatest show in school!

Comments

• I would never have known. I'm soooo hopelessly out of touch with regards to campus news. :D

Impeachment trial is on Wednesday pala? I'll watch. :)
  • woah! she's that bad?

:bop:
    Chad
  • Congrats to the ATENEO Sanggunian. Buti pa kayo.... ang DLSU SC napakahina. Kasi si Jolina Mallari di ma-impeach-impeach kahit sobra na ang kabulukan!

Sayang cute pa naman si Apples Jalandoni.
  • BadGiRLBadGiRL PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    E the thing is, wala naman masyadong pakialam ang mga lasallista sa mga SC stuff na yan e. Laging myob lang tayo.

Konti lang naman sobrang nagbibigay importance sa mga SC na yan e. Halos sapilitan pa nga pag dating ng eleksyon na mag vote ang mga students e.
  • yeah well, i think DLSU students still have to mature to the point that they realize academics ain't everything.

they usually realize that when they start applying for jobs. oh well, i'm sure things will get better.

apples jalandoni? cute? really? never thought of her that way...just thought she was your average girl in terms of looks.

Chad

p.s. if you want to get jolina impeached, then file a case! no one's stopping anyone. assert your rights people! complaining about it in PEx won't do much good if it just stays in PEx.
  • I don't see any Mendoza or Narvasa in her defense. They're on the prosecution panel. ;)
  • Originally posted by Chad
    p.s. if you want to get jolina impeached, then file a case! no one's stopping anyone. assert your rights people! complaining about it in PEx won't do much good if it just stays in PEx.

Hmmm........... :angel:
  • could somebody post here the Articles of Impeachment against Apples?
  • FYI: Motion for dismissal filed by President Apples Jalandoni citing lack of mandate on the matter by the JC was unanimously rejected by the JC.

I don't know all the Impeachment Articles but one of them is Abuse of Power. She is accused of approving a school project without passing it through the Student Council.

I'll update you guys tom.

Tristan: You're right! The Prosecution panel has a lot of big names! Number 1, 3 and 7 best debaters in the Philippines William Panlilio, Pat Gallardo and Joan De Venecia!

Well good luck...to the prosecution!
  • I couldn't say so much about either of the people being discusses here but I salute the Ateneans for their guts in bringing up a case against what they think is WRONG. It takes a lot of conviction to do that. CONGRATS! :)
  • Pat Gallardo is one of my good friends, and i have utmost respect and awe not only for her excellent debating skills (which is one reason why I believe Ateneo has the best Debating Team -- and yes, i'm from Lasalle) but for her keen mind and firmly set values.

Apples had better watch out if Pat's on her *****$. hell, Pat didn't even give Kit Tatad a chance to reply to her scathing "We'll be watching you!"

You go, coffee girl! =)

Chad
  • Originally posted by kesler
    Originally posted by Chad

Hmmm........... :angel:

so what's THAT suppose to mean, eh kes?

:angel:
    Chad
  • KeyserSoze says: "It's the greatest show in school."

That's precisely what I think of this whole impeachment thing -- ONE BIG SHOW. It's like a circus, and I'm not even so sure what it's supposed to achieve in the end.

Some would argue that it's a fight involving principles. But what exactly are the issues being fought here? What injustice is being avenged?

In the end though, I believe the result of this stupid excuse for a trial is a person stripped of her dignity. And for what? For supposedly violating some technicalities in some constitution? Come on. It's a person we're talking about here, and we must understand as Ateneans that greater damage will be done if she ever does get impeached. In this case, our principles must speak in favor of the person over "the rules".

Anyway, I do believe this trial is not the result of a sincere belief in so-called principles, as the plaintiffs in their self-engrandizement would claim. This case is the result of either one of two things: politically-motivated dislike, or the impeachment craze that suddenly turning out to be fashionable in our country (even under the wrong contexts).

Of course, I understand that I say many thngs here that I do not defend properly. I don't think this is the right place for that. I understand then if many won't believe the things I say. My sole intent here is to caution my fellow Ateneans against uninformed judgments. Especially since the plaintiffs really sound like heroes now, and look as if they really know what they're doing.

Trust me, I've been classmates with most of them, and they're not as HOLY and HEROIC as they seem, and definitely not as SMART.

Pasensya lang kayo at umiinit ang ulo ko sa mga taong nagbabalatkayo. People who politicize vengeance and then use the ever-effective excuse of "PRINCIPLE" as their battlecry.

Sana'y mag-isip-isip muna tayo!!! 'Yun lang.

NOTE: I was never a fan of Apples. Kadiri lang kaseng pakinggan na talagang nangyayari 'tong circus trial sa paaralang kinabibilangan ko.
  • Originally posted by acolyte
    That's precisely what I think of this whole impeachment thing -- ONE BIG SHOW. It's like a circus, and I'm not even so sure what it's supposed to achieve in the end.

I have only one thing to say: How dare you.

Speaking at random behind the anonymity of the Internet is a lot of fun, isn't it? I've had enough of this.

I, too, am disappointed that the Judicial Council is not releasing the details to the public and is turning the Ateneo into a circus and a rumor mill. But I think your comments are way out of line.

Incidentally, I'm Oscar Tan, a Management Engineering senior. I also happen to be the person whose actions about a month ago caused the filing of the impeachment complaint. Please consider my statements with this fact in mind.

(Mr. Jo-ed Tirol of the History Department showed me this thread that a lot of people seem to be looking at, and I think we both find it ridiculous that something so grave has to be communicated to the studentry through an online forum.)

First, you ask what issues are being discussed, but go on to conclude that it is nothing but a smear campaign. Either you are the defense counsel, or you have very strange logic.

The impeachment complaint against the Ateneo student president is not a joke. Neither is it an excuse to strip Apples of her dignity. The plaintiffs and Judicial Council are not even releasing the evidence or even the charges until the trial proper, to keep her dignity intact until then (never mind that it is being destroyed by the rumors anyway).

It seems so easy to say "the person" over "the rules" with all the frustration over the Senate trial, isn't it? As if the complainants are not people? Aren't you stripping them of THEIR dignity with these wild accusations? And what if there were other people (not the complainants) who were hurt by acts Apples allegedly performed?

Your first theory is POLITICALLY MOTIVATED DISLIKE.

I can refute that easily.

I supplied the evidence that most of the complaint was based on, and helped draft it. However, I am a subordinate of the president, and she selected me to head one of her projects. Apples and I even hail from the same province, and my aunt was her high school principal. I see no politics and no dislike here. Moreover, it is not as if the complainants are a close barkada or have consistently voted as a bloc in the student council.

Your second theory is THE IMPEACHMENT CRAZE.

Before dawn yesterday, I heard that Ateneo dormers took to the streets over this impeachment craze, and the Sanggunian was contacting everyone else to mobilize. I wasn't with them, but I did go to EDSA by myself today, and I cannot even begin to imagine how we would cheapen our beliefs by impeaching our president as some kind of sick joke or jumping onto a bandwagon.

Ano ang mga estudyante ng Ateneo, *****?

You are right to caution Ateneans and everyone else about uninformed judgments, and unfortunately, because of the Judicial Council's news blackout over the case, that's all we seem to be getting these days. But it's not a reason to malign the top officers of the Sanggunian and say that they "politicize vengeance."

I don't know if it will take Jesus Christ appearing in front of you and showing you the wounds in has palms to satisfy your demands about "HOLY and HEROIC."

I must say, however, that the integrity of the complainants is above question. Chester Yu, the External Vice-President, was my classmate since Grade 2, and I have never believed his character to be in question. If only because of the volume of his forwarded documents about the Senate trial, I will affirm that his commitment to his office and his principles has never been lacking.

I do not know the others as well, but know enough to say that your statements about them are equally baseless. I will even say that the lowerclassmen, Eugene Teves (Treasurer) and Ekay Cleofe (Junior Batch President) have their heads and hearts in the right place. Moreover, as Gelo Magdamit put it, their filing of the complaint is like stabbing their own student council (and themselves) in the back, and admitting that they failed somewhere.

These people all lost sleep during the Christmas break. Just getting over the shock at the events we discovered took a while. Me? It took me at least two days. But I can attest that these complainants have set their personal feelings aside. I talked to the prosecutor, Joan de Venecia, a few days ago, and we were also talking about how we should emphasize that Apples was wrong, but not evil.

The plaintiffs sound like heroes? I doubt they can even find pleasure in what they did. I certainly cannot, and Joan and I talked about how this is not something to be proud of, really.

Principles are never an excuse for anything, by the way. They are something we define and affirm--defend if we have to--everyday. And Apples is the one who risographed hundreds of copies of her statement and invoked truth, justice and the like. The complainants have never made any public statements, so how can they be using principles as their excuse?

The magic question is, of course, why are we doing this?

I am fully aware of how this will affect the Ateneo, especially the graduating batch. The trial should end about two weeks before the Seniors' final exams. So what purpose does it serve, and why bother at all with the divisiveness?

You supplied the answer: PRINCIPLES.

The Ateneo is not defined by a single person or a single year. It is defined by a set of institutional values held dear by every Atenean since 1859.

I think what happened was that some Seniors felt that these values were violated. The short time before graduation is not an issue because who would want to graduate after leaving their self-definition of these values in doubt? If you are really an Atenean, then some wise man must have taught you that it is such a great folly for a man to exchange the eternal for the temporary.

The charges will be presented, and the merits of the case will be discussed. However, the value of the impeachment complaint will be sorely diminished if Ateneans fail to see what it really stands for. I think they have to realize that it is not just the president on trial, but the entire studentry and its values.

Thus, if people trap themselves in the idea that the entire affair is nothing but a circus or a joke, or that Apples is being charged with being "pa-cute" or having a personality that some people dislike (and it is not as if she never had good intentions for her fellow students), then the Ateneo is sadly cheapened.

I hope I have sufficiently addressed your concerns, before this trial is turned into a mockery of what it should be.

The Ateneo was never embarrassed to decry the 11 senators "in the pocket of Malacanang". The Ateneo was never embarrassed to ask for the resignation of its highest-ranking alumnus.

Thus, I do not believe that the Ateneo will be embarrassed to uphold the principles of democracy in its own campus when it demands the same of our national leaders.
  • Medyo mainit talaga ang Ateneo Sanggu ngayon ha? Well good Luck to the Whistleblowers like you Oscar. May you have the courage to fight till the last drop.

Kesler ano? ikaw talaga porke't next in line ka....

theoretically....

:lol:

resignbutton.gif
  • the articles of impeachment, or the charges must be that bad that it should come to this - a very degrading impeachment trial.

one question though, had this impeachment (of Apples) materialized if our national crisis hadn't made a precedent?

on a personal note: i do hope the the JC would be unbiased and non-partisan to this proceedings, unlike the ones we have in the Senate!

"...at the end of the day, it is not the the rules that will ultimately matter but the very person who is placed under scrutiny; his/her dignity and the preservation of his/her very person..."

• Originally posted by yuga
    one question though, had this impeachment (of Apples) materialized if our national crisis hadn't made a precedent?

Oh, great... I'm getting addicted to this mode of conversation. :)

Look... I have to make a few things clear:

1) In my opinion, the articles are very serious. The Judicial Council will make it public sometime soon (I hope) but I must emphasize that no one charged her with anything like being "pa-cute," signing letters with "loveguid," or being disliked by her fellow officers.

A trial might seem degrading to some, but I have faith that people will realize that upholding democractic institutions is noble. (I mean the process, regardless of the verdict.)

2) Erap's impeachment trial had nothing to do with the charges. I had the misfortune of taking Dacanay, Gorospe and Roche (for a Jesuit grand slam) as my last three Theo professors. You get some idea of right and wrong after that.

3) The dignity of Apples is not the issue. It is her governance and her actions in her capacity as president being judged, NOT her person. That must be made very clear.

To be fair to her, without preempting any verdict, I just have to say that I agreed to work under Apples at the start of the year because I believed in the vision for the Sanggunian she laid out to me. I had heated post-election debates with my own ME classmates who were friends of her opponent. I even had to defend her character after some of her actions like that "Pahiga-higa ako sa Bacolod when I got word of Chavit..." speech to some people, since I felt I was obliged to do so as her subordinate.

Crispypata: Whistleblower, eh? That doesn't sound too good. :) But I'm NOT a Sanggu officer, okay? I simply feel very strongly about this.
  • Well, if it's any consolation, I didn't know Apples was also being impeached. I only heard of it around this week.

God, I am so apathetic about school these days.

And yes, Oscar, this mode of conversing is completely addictive. Although maybe only to some of us that have loads and loads of sack time to devote to it.

:silly:
  • My post was made immediately after the issue was referred to me by a very good friend. My friend happens to belong to the CB, and his initial reaction to this whole thing certainly affected my judgment on this.

There are things that must be said then before anything else. I do hope Chester Yu, a good friend of mine btw, will forgive me for my prejudgment. I was very careless with my words and didn't even stop to remember that he is indeed Ateneo's EVP.

My personal attacks on the other plaintiffs are also inexcusable. But my remorse, I believe, is irrelevant if only to be expressed over this internet forum. My anonymity, of course, would seem to make matters worse. But suffice it to say that even if I had mentioned my name, I would've remained "anonymous" to most, because unlike the celebrities who seem to be involved in this case, I happen to be an ordinary Atenean who just happens to feel so deeply about this school. At least here I am heard by a celebrity like Oscar Tan. In retrospect, however, I do believe that my words serve an important purpose, perhaps if only to remind the plaintiffs to constantly remind themselves of their actual intentions. And that goes for you Oscar, because in a case of such magnitude as this, it is but natural that everything be held suspect -- even by yourself.

My doubt of the plaintiff's intentions is, I believe, not completely without justification. When the case was explained to me, I laughed. But when it was further explained (albeit not without bias), it did seem that people were after Apples only because of her "curiously irritating" habits. It is easy not to like Apples, that's for sure, but then should this be the precedent to impeachment? Oscar seems to have already answered this, but I don't think his explanation suffices.

My friend, fortunately, also explained to me the actual complaints, and swore me to secrecy regarding these matters. They certainly are serious. I've even heard about the disciplinary case, as well. However, if these complaints come from a "group" (and I don't mean a barkada, for crying out loud!) who, to say the least, does not like Apples because of other prior personal issues, then the gravity of these charges and the honor in making them reduce to mere "technicalities" and "tactics" in the final analysis. To wit, who would seem to be the victim then?

And Oscar, "HOLY and HEROIC" assumes HONESTY. That's why this point was raised. Sure, the complainants are people, but it's not exacly their futures that are backed against the ropes, right?

Are Ateneans *****? Of course not, but they certainly can be mischievously clever. In many ways, although I cannot claim it is, this case would certainly sound like the perfect opportunity for some people.

Regarding Oscar's claim to PRINCIPLES, there are some things that need to be said. Ateneans have always had a fondness for using big words. We must however learn to properly substantiate the words we use. In my case, I submit that what is at stake here is a real person, not someone we can smother with highfalutin "principles". Things that would normally be construed as "principles" can easily be used to certain people's advantage, and this is what I so dreadfully fear.

Nevertheless, honesty with regard to this matter is not something Oscar himself can actually prove. And if one is smart enough to notice, that's all that I question here. Ultimately though, this point will have no bearing on the case. Hence, no case here is made in defense of the Sanggu president. Apples will be judged on the basis of presented facts, so that intentions may precisely be beyond the issue. Perhaps then only conscience and history will decide whether those involved here will have acted well or ill. As always, these are the ultimate arbiters.

Certainly, the Ateneo was never embarassed to ask for the resignation of its highest-ranking alumnus. It will not be embarassed by itw upholding of principles of democracy.

But then again, if done in bad faith, perhaps it should. Perhaps if we are hypocritical in our "principles", we must be embarassed.

I certainly hope that this trial will ultimately justify itself. And I certainly hope that the things I speculate here are entirely wrong. I pray that this is over soon, and that the whole issue is finally explained to the unwary ones like me.

God Bless. Mabuhay ang Ateneo.

(Pahabol lang po: Since, as far as I know, the complaints address an internal Sanggu matter, wasn't there any other way for this issue to be handled more professionally? Was this the best thing to do, for the sake of the two parties involved?)
  • Originally posted by acolyte
    I pray that this is over soon, and that the whole issue is finally explained to the unwary ones like me.

For someone who claims to be "unwary," you sure talk like you know all the details.

Originally posted by acolyte
    My friend happens to belong to the CB, and his initial reaction to this whole thing certainly affected my judgment on this... My friend, fortunately, also explained to me the actual complaints, and swore me to secrecy regarding these matters.

I'm sure you trust your friend very much, but please consider my next statement carefully. What he told you and even what he thinks about the case may be distorted.

The complaint was kept secret even from Sanggunian officers. Only the complainants, Apples, the Judicial Council, and the witnesses/"victims" know the full details.

(Pahabol lang po: Since, as far as I know, the complaints address an internal Sanggu matter...

You are quoting the "defense" of Apples that she passed around the campus, which proposes that Philip Moran and Chester Yu are using an "internal" matter/procedural lapse to get her impeached so they can get her office.

There is a big hole in that theory. People outside the Sanggunian officers were involved. This is in no way just between Apples and those other officers.

I actually think the complainants handled it as professionally as they could, since they could easily have been more personal and emotional about it.

In retrospect, however, I do believe that my words serve an important purpose, perhaps if only to remind the plaintiffs to constantly remind themselves of their actual intentions.

I respect your opinion, and I can assure you that they've asked themselves about that many times. I talked to some of them, and it was certainly not easy.

Sure, the complainants are people, but it's not exacly their futures that are backed against the ropes, right?

Not true. For some, the complaint is like a self-indictment of their own Sanggunian, or like plucking an eye to save the rest of the body from getting thrown into hell.

And only a very twisted person could find "honor" in this.

Are Ateneans *****? Of course not, but they certainly can be mischievously clever. In many ways, although I cannot claim it is, this case would certainly sound like the perfect opportunity for some people.

Again, I respect your opinion on this, but let's apply a little logic.

Opportunity FOR WHAT? To get the chance for a little adulation or publicity a week before they graduate? Or like Apples proposees, to be president of the Sanggunian for all of one week? What else... opportunity to take over jueteng operations inside the Ateneo?

Think about it a little.

In my case, I submit that what is at stake here is a real person, not someone we can smother with highfalutin "principles".

Again, I think those allegedly hurt by the actions alleged in the charges were also real people.

I just walked home from EDSA and do feel a bit disappointed with this statement. If I take this logic all the way, then everyone from Joker Arroyo to the Ateneo student population just wanted to smother Erap for highfalutin "principles"? What... we shouldn't believe Joker has "principles" because he might run for senator?

But then again, if done in bad faith, perhaps it should. Perhaps if we are hypocritical in our "principles", we must be embarassed.

Big if.

I'm really curious as to what basis you have--personal, circumstantial, a crystal ball or otherwise--to keep insisting that there is some doubt about the "principles" of all 8 different complainants.

I mean, are you the defense counsel? Were you present in every Sanggunian meeting since June? Do you know Apples and all 8 complainants intimately?

I just find it hard to understand the perspective of an "unwary" person such as yourself, and I cannot imagine even Senator Jaworski going on national TV to say "What is at stake here is a real person, not someone we can smother..."