FEATURE ADJUSTMENT: The Flag button is temporarily unavailable for members. We are doing certain system adjustments as of the moment to prevent some users from abusing this feature. For reports, please message the moderators or email us at [email protected]
PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

Book review/s.

magnabashmagnabash Swaying person. ✭✭✭
Post your book review/s here, whether it is fiction or nonfiction.

To be honest, mas prefer ko ang The Alchemist kaysa sa The Pilgrimage.

Grade: F

Comments

• Hot PantsHot Pants The Dagger PExer
    I'm an amateur reviewer. But I try.

SLAUGHTER-HOUSE FIVE by Kurt Vonnegut

The late great Kurt Vonnegut, who was touted as the greatest American satirist deserves every accolade that he received. Slaughterhouse-Five is one shining example of his genius. The book tells the tale of Billy Pilgrim, an American soldier and POW who goes through the expected harships war veterans went through in the second World War. A number of accounts, fact or fiction, have already been penned by several authors but Kurt's rendition of one of the most significant events in history is one of it's kind. Kurt's sharp wit in revisiting the war through Bill's experience will stimulate your brain, make you grin and laugh like a madman. But amidst all the clownishness is an underlying theme that begs to ask a lot of questions about human nature. It is also weird and whimsical. Case in point: Billy claimed to be "unstuck in time" as he glided through the different moments in his life between lapses of consciousness in a rickety and non-chronological order. Billy also claimed to have been abducted by flying saucers from Tralfamadore to be put in a zoo with it's artificial human habitat. He even got to learn about time and the meaning of life through the viewpoint of the Tralfamodorians. Whether this was fact or mere delusion brought about by his experiences in the war is up to the reader to decide.

This book will add more dimension to how you perceive your life in it's highs and lows. This is a very funny book in all accounts, but it is one of the saddest as well. Read, laugh and weep

=======

WATCHMEN by Alan Moore

grew up reading comic books. Just like any ordinary kid, I've read them because I was fascinated about superheroes and supervillains gutting it out to determine the fate of the world. Understandably so, my love for comic books were rooted from trivial leanings. It's the violence, the coolness factor when the characters deliver their catch-phrases and wiseacre antics as events lead up to that long-awaited stunning conclusion. And so on.

Then I grew up. I leaned towards more "serious" literature. But then I picked up Sandman and was taken back to that seminal and grandiose feeling of absorbing a story through the comics medium yet again.

I picked up Watchmen. And I declare this the best comic book I've ever read. I won't pontificate about the reasons why it is. Attempting to write an erudite review about it now won't give it justice. That's how intimidating this book is. And I have yet to read it again to fully absorb everything that lurks beneath the surface of this tapestry of a tale.
  • magnabashmagnabash Swaying person. ✭✭✭
    More replies please.

*peace* :bop: *okay*
    More replies please.

More replies please.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji